• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WB fast-tracks live-action Akira movie. A certain GAFer is involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FoneBone

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117981194.html?categoryid=13&cs=1
WB takes franchise turn with 'Akira'
Studio to adapt classic anime story
By MICHAEL FLEMING

'Akira'
Warner Bros. will turn anime artist Katsuhiro Otomo’s six-volume graphic novel masterwork “Akira” into two live action feature films, the first of which is being fast tracked for release in summer 2009.

WB, which had the “Akira” rights several years ago, only to let them lapse and then recapture them in a spirited bidding battle, is planning a twin-bill that the filmmakers have described as “Blade Runner” meets “City of God.”

Studio has closed a seven-figure rights acquisition deal with Kodansha, and has set Ruairi Robinson to direct a script by Gary Whitta (“Book of Eli”). Andrew Lazar’s Mad Chance will produce with Appian Way’s Leonardo DiCaprio and Jennifer Davisson.

Each feature will be comprised of three of the books in Otomo’s series. The drama takes place in “New Manhattan,” a metropolis that was rebuilt after being destroyed 31 years ago.

Robinson, an Irish helmer who has been Oscar-nominated for his short film and commercials work, is making his feature debut.

The project was brought in by exec veep Greg Silverman, who has supervised “300” and “Batman Begins.”

Lazar is producer on the WB comedy “Get Smart,” and he’s about to start production on the Jim Carrey-starrer “I Love You Phillip Morris” for Europacorp and Fox Searchlight.

Appian Way is producing the John Cusack-starrer “The Factory” for WB and Dark Castle.

Xisiqomelir

DMczaf said:
Gary Whitta
Gary Whitta
Gary Whitta
Gary Whitta
Gary Whitta

Thanks. Cautiously optimistic? Can Hollywood cast enough Japanese-American actors?

EDIT: Oh it's an adaptation. They'll probably ditch the Akira name then, so we can all watch this with no fear.

FnordChan

Cool beans. Congrats, Gary! Get ready for GAF calling you to task en masse for every bit of information that leaks from this film.

FnordChan

SUPREME1

Banned
The project was brought in by exec veep Greg Silverman, who has supervised “300” and “Batman Begins.”

Interesting.

Also, wouldn't Neo New York... be better off as Neo York?

ronito said:
way to go Gary!! DON'T screw this up.

Too late for that.

The drama takes place in “New Manhattan,” a metropolis that was rebuilt after being destroyed 31 years ago.

Snaku

Banned
Awesome Gary, but you better not f this up. :D

This news also highlights the fact that Akira is still not on Blu-ray. Who do I blame for this?

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Poor Gary Whitta, no matter how good the script actually is, GAF will blame him for all the film's mistakes

grandjedi6 said:
Poor Gary Whitta, no matter how good the script actually is, GAF will blame him for all the film's mistakes
Who cares, it's GAF. If it pleases us upon release, we'll love it later. If we love it upon release, it'll be fashionable to hate it later.

Just don't fuck up Tetsuo's hair. And make sure he gets that red cape.

"AAAAHahhhhhhhhhh..... KAORI'S PAIN IS INSIDE ME!"

"Gasp... Yamagata, I'll miss YEWWWW!"

I loved the original dub of Akira. >;P

C.Dark.DN

Banned
this is the second person i thought was just a random nerd infront of his computer.

the other person is the guy who did like fucking netscape/aol logos.

wtf guys, talk about contributing to society.

anyways, i'm looking forward gary!

WinFonda

Wikipedia said:
In the realm of game development, Whitta has consulted on a number of game titles. Perhaps his best known contributions have been as a writer for Duke Nukem Forever

Is this true, Gary? Spill the beans!

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Congrats Gary. Now we know who to address direct complaints to when there's not enough "TETSUO!" "KANEDA!":D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom