• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WB fast-tracks live-action Akira movie. A certain GAFer is involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bengraven

Way to frickin' go by the way.

And sorry to hear you won't be posting on GAF for a while. I mean, the second you read a thread, you know someone's going to be "Hey, Gary, I know you're reading this thread! TETSUUUUUUO! Will Kay be in this movie?! Sent me a PM dawg, we'll hang"

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
mosaic said:
Onto the second page and not one person has posted KAAAANEEEEEEDDAAAAAA!!!!

Since it seems to be adapted it will probably be more like "BIIIIIIIIILLYYYYY!!!!".

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
ronito said:
way to go Gary!! DON'T screw this up.
Pretty much the truth here...We know your screenname :lol
Best of luck, you have me on day one

One thing...change the names akira to Bill and Testou to Ted

7Th

Try to keep yourselves far away from the original material in terms of style, keep the core visual ideas close to heart and build from them. Don't be blatant and tell your director the usual blue-screen tricks won't work here.

Other than that, good luck. Hopefully it turns out great. Akira is a leyend of manga; DON'T SCREW UP.

Tim-E

I've always thought a live-action Akira movie would be interesting. I will definitely go see it to support a fellow GAFfer. It'll be showing the opening credits and when Gary's name pop up I'll be the guy who shouts "OH MY GOD I POST ON THE SAME FUCKING FORUM AS THAT GUY"

BOOYAH!

Thanks for all the comments. I'm actually sitting in an office on the Warner Bros lot working on the script as I type this :)

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Gary Whitta said:
BOOYAH!

Thanks for all the comments. I'm actually sitting in an office on the Warner Bros lot working on the script as I type this :)

Oh man, you lucky! That place must look awesome!

DMczaf

Gary Whitta said:
BOOYAH!

Get me a Dark Knight poster, please! :)

7Th

Gary Whitta said:
BOOYAH!

If this is not an annoyment, may I ask a few questions? Like, how involved is Otomo in the project? Or, what kind of visual design are you going for?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
It shouldn't be too difficult to do the anime movie justice. Now actually taking the manga and turning it into a 2 hour film...good luck with that.

lexi

Banned
Gary Whitta said:
BOOYAH!

Congrats Gary, I never even knew you were attached to an Akira revival :D

Fireblend

Banned
Gary Whitta said:
BOOYAH!

Congrats! Now don't screw this up or GAF will probably burn you alive. Or at least the Anime/Manga defence force will.

itsinmyveins

Gary Whitta said:
BOOYAH!

Awesome. Write a bar/whatever into the script called NeoGAF somewhere :)

Anyways, good luck with the script.

EDIT: Or even better, write in my username :D

muckhole

Gary Whitta said:
BOOYAH!

Awesome. Can I be in this? Or, at the very least, can you make sure someone says the word "muckhole" in the film?

I have $5........

Matt_C

I just hope that Kaneda is played by a young Japanese American actor, someone needs to pick up where Better Luck Tomorrow left off.

I am willing to forgive the setting if it focused on mainly Asian characters being a part of the young gang. Seriously, the concept is more believable now due to Heroes and Cloverfield pulling off the whole NYC is under major doom in an entertaining fashion.

Good luck, hope the visual style liberally barrows from the manga and I would love it if it reuses the animated movie score. Congrats Garry and I wish you would find time to work on an Akira podcast.

Then you could do a Lone Wold and Cub script with a Japanese cast. Someone needs to reimagine Shogun Assassin with modern day special effects

7Th

Grizzlyjin said:
It shouldn't be too difficult to do the anime movie justice. Now actually taking the manga and turning it into a 2 hour film...good luck with that.

Except for the fact that the anime movie is still an impressive landmark of visual animation and design.

Google

ImperialConquest said:
Interesting.

Also, wouldn't Neo New York... be better off as Neo York?

york2.jpg

?

itsinmyveins

Matt_C said:
I just hope that Kaneda is played by a young Japanese American actor, someone needs to pick up where Better Luck Tomorrow left off.

I am willing to forgive the setting if it focused on mainly Asian characters being a part of the young gang. Seriously, the concept is more believable now due to Heroes and Cloverfield pulling off the whole NYC is under major doom in an entertaining fashion.

Why is that so important?

bjork

Nice. I remember first reading about a live Akira like... 14 or 15 years ago in a Gamepro or something. Good to hear it's gonna happen for real now. :)

Grizzlyjin said:
That's why we're doing TWO movies :)

I knew it was gonna be Gary! Congrats! When you make it big and you are snorting coke off a hookers ass, make sure to do a line for GAF.

Shouta

Gary Whitta said:
Christ, as if I wasn't already under enough pressure...

You should be! Us anime fans will not be satisfied with another travesty of an adaptation, especially when we can yell at the writer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom