• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
wowfactor said:
How do we sell unused weapons? I just saw upgrade and purchase.

Read your manual!!! :lol i havnt even played the game yet and i know how it works :(

And about the manual, thank fucking god its more that 10 pages! huzzah for Kojima, bring back the manuals you tight developer assholes.

Just beat the game (14.5 hours, west coaster)
Game of the FUCKING FOREVER
MAJOR ENDING SPOILERS HUGE ENDING SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS
Scene after credits was the greatest thing I've ever seen in ever. HOLY FUCKING SHIT AMAZING. To MGO! (any space in the gaf clan?

LiquidMetal14 said:
If you mean the ones you pick on the battlefield then they just translate into point immediately since DB rewards you instantly. Otherwise, please clarify.

Another plus, Kojima and his team found a way to make grinding one of the most dull things I ever did in my brief trial with WOW. Hell I went during the middle of an airstrike to get weapons of dead Militia lol

That's what I absolutely loved hearing as I'm a bit of a gun-nerd myself when it comes to games

....hell I used to spend the majority of my time in the Counter-Strike days, just tweaking out my weapon load-out with custom skins, sounds, models, etc

Yeah, its funny, but this really may be a game that despite being a story centered one is a replay magnet (testing varieties, approaches, playing with the AI) just like Deus Ex :)

The variety is absolutely amazing, hell only weapon missing is a Davey Crockett (which would be a great goof weapon).

It's funny how weapon size has grown from MGS 1 (and how early you get them too).

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Just picked up my pre-order from gamestop, they fucked up the pre-order in my favor! I only pre ordered the game basic edition, but I got the LE for the same price!!!! I was so stoked but I kept my cool once the clerk only charged me the 60 dollars.

Lakitu

st5fu
My god. The battles in act 2 are amazing. So many possibilities. I've just been messing about a lot and I'm about to
storm the vista mansion.

This act is giving me a huge MGS 3 vibe, I love it. Loving the rivers and streams, really brings back memories of that game.

I just took down 3 helicopters :lol

brandonh83 said:
What happens if you {Beauty and the Beast boss fight spoiler, sorta}
tranq a Beauty instead of killing one?

Unlock something, and get one less kill :3

I don't ever see the need to ever kill them.

Zeke

FUCK YES I finally have my copy of MGS4 and a 12 pack of shiner bock to go with it I'm so fuckin happy!!! :D
beer.jpg

mgs4.jpg

dabookerman said:
Unlock something, and get one less kill :3

I don't ever see the need to ever kill them.

I heard you get
her Octocamo or something like that if you kill them
, is it something better if you don't?

DO IT KEV, LIGHT ONE UP

Solo

Picked up my LE this morning. Havent even unwrapped it yet, and probably wont do so until this weekend, but I just wanted to say that KP are gods for including 1080i. Erased my biggest fear with MGS4.

Teknoman

Just got the game and finished installing.

These PMC commercials are nuts (letting the game just run at the press start screen). Half the time I dont know whats going on until the end. The funny thing is, I could actually see some of these commercials being on TV in real life. Though I still have no idea what that one with the two giant ladies jumping around in slow motion while jets and helicopters faught each other was about.

Wonder how many of these there are. So far i've seen the octopus one, mantis security systems, werewolf, Raven "Never a shot in the dark" and the one I described above.

Are these just alluding to the bosses and what technology went into giving them their special abilities?

Lakitu

st5fu
The
vista mansion part
rocked, we just started a ruckus (I'm in the rebel outfit) and I just went round and let them kill each other :D and then I used the mortar to kill some PMC guys.

I'm now entering the
Research Lab with Naomi

Another thing is that 5.1 is amazing. I found a way to finally get rear speakers setup (instead of the five at the front) by placing each one on the edge of my couch (which is fairly long) so there finally in back (by 12 inches or so), but man what a difference. This is a game where you will think rear noises are not from the game, but outside on a busy street (granted not the gunfire unless you live in Newark).

This may be one of the best 5.1 mixes I have ever heard in a game. Hands down.

Also these speakers are old 2001 Creative Sound Blaster desktop ones that I bought in conjunction with a Sound Blaster Extigy (which I'm using) and it still sound amazing).

burgerdog said:
NO SMOKING. I have to talk to Snake, all this smoking is influencing his fans.

I always wondered how Kojima gets away with it and no criticism (not that I really care), but I mean remember the infamous RE live opening that deleted Chris smoking. I think Kojima said he wanted to sort of celebrate Snakes old out of public favor habit in this game (no joke).

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
I've been playing for the last hr and its truly awesome. The sound mix as mentioned is astonishing. Its movie quality, which I guess was the purpose.
The cutscenes are super quality, love the flashback feature by pressing "X".

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
rod said:
do not break, act 4 awaits :D
Honestly, I'm just so
depressed right now. This game is dark. MGS3 is like a feel good story compared to this.

And I know I say this only halfway through it. But man, this game is so much more...powerful than the other ones. The technology has made these characters living, breathing. I am
sad.

Lakitu said:
The
vista mansion part
rocked, we just started a ruckus (I'm in the rebel outfit) and I just went round and let them kill each other :D and then I used the mortar to kill some PMC guys.

I'm now entering the
Research Lab with Naomi

Ok, now tell me do you feel the level is an homage to Commando?

brandonh83 said:
I heard you get
her Octocamo or something like that if you kill them
, is it something better if you don't?

DO IT KEV, LIGHT ONE UP

You get
each of their face camo, so you could go look up close at Lyndall and do unsavoury things to the TV screen

Y2Kev said:
Act 3 completed.

I need a break. A cigarette. Something.

I don't smoke, but I think I want to.

I just entered the sewers after taking the second bb down
and just had myself a smoke and taking a little break

le.phat

brandonh83 said:
What happens if you {Beauty and the Beast boss fight spoiler, sorta}
tranq a Beauty instead of killing one?

can only comment on the first one:

she curled up in a fetal position and fell asleep with a faint smile on her face. i unlocked the laughing beauty face for my face octo.

rcua1884

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
Another thing is that 5.1 is amazing. I found a way to finally get rear speakers setup (instead of the five at the front) by placing each one on the edge of my couch (which is fairly long) so there finally in back (by 12 inches or so), but man what a difference. This is a game where you will think rear noises are not from the game, but outside on a busy street (granted not the gunfire unless you live in Newark).

This may be one of the best 5.1 mixes I have ever heard in a game. Hands down.

I recall sneaking through Act 1 and hearing
a loud speaker announcement from the Praying Mantis PMC.
I seriously thought it was coming from my backyard. I was freaking out thinking someone on a loud speaker barged onto my property advertising their seedy services. Best sound mix in a game, hands down.

le.phat said:
can only comment on the first one:

she curled up in a fetal position and fell asleep with a faint smile on her face. i unlocked the laughing beauty face for my face octo.

Fetal position, so hot.. I always zoom in on her crotch, her smooth silky crotch

Epix

Just picked it up:

WTF at the intro? Has Kojima lost his mind? Wonder if it will tie into the story somehow? Is there anyway to tell through the Solid Eye whether or not the Militia will attack you?

Lakitu

st5fu
rcua1884 said:
I recall sneaking through Act 1 and hearing
a loud speaker announcement from the Praying Mantis PMC.
I seriously thought it was coming from my backyard. I was freaking out thinking someone on a loud speaker barged onto my property advertising their seedy services. Best sound mix in a game, hands down.

I actually thought the first part was an Ice Cream van parking outside my house

le.phat

normally i'm not one to question an editorials integrity but even if the story/settings don't work for you, how can you give this game an 8 ? I'm enjoying this game more then anything else of the last 6 or so years. Its like i'm reintroduced to gaming. sheer joy.

Costanza

Banned
don't read unless you've started act 4:

:lol :lol :lol MGS1 gameplay
. Brilliant.

oh btw, this is the greatest game I've ever played.

McLovin

I'm about 25 minutes into this game and holy crap this game looks ridiculously good! I know its probably been mentioned before but this game looks fuckin awesome!
And those commercials at the beginning look really really good. I was shocked when I found out I could change the channel

.nimrod

Well, it seems i'm the only one thats kinda disappointed. Graphics and gameplay is awesome but there's way too much drama, few likeable characters and it doesn't really feel like mgs to me.
I just finished act 4, and when i saw those
catapults
i could just facepalm :/

MGS3 is still my favourite mgs.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm completely floored at how good this game looks on an SDTV. Everyone was telling me that my money would be wasted on a PS3 without an HDTV but this game truly proves them wrong.
Plus my college roommate has an HD set so once I go back I'll be able to use that.:D

le.phat

dabookerman said:
Fetal position, so hot.. I always zoom in on her crotch, her smooth silky crotch

i was so ready to spend the next ten minutes groping and humping her with snake's saggy canoli, shame kojima was on to me and decided to load the next scene outdoors :(

kuYuri

Wow, so cool.

I didn't know about this and randomly gave it a try. Say you have a certain octocamo pattern on (let's say concrete pattern). If you shake the sixaxis to return the camo to normal sneaking suit during a cutscene, it actually returns to normal IN REALTIME. That shit blew my mind.

HOLY FREAKING SHIT!!!

I am going to attempt to remember all the mindblowing stuff I have played. The game takes everything great about MGS3 and multiplies it, shines it to a perfect polish. The game keeps going from one scenario to the next, each being a bit different from the next. One moment you are in a giant battle, the next its a solo sneaking area just like MGS3, then a big firefight, little changes in the situations make such a difference.

OMG at the Frog battle, intense, amazingly viceral, WOW. But forget that, WOAH AT ACT 2. Puts MGS3 to shame. There was a moment I was sneaking about, ready to get a jump on an enemy when the miltia open fire and a scrmish just broke out, things like this make moments you won't soon forget. The areas have well placed secrets just like in MGS3, you need to be aware to find some of these stuff. I am loving every second of this game, and to think I have yet to fight one boss.

Oh and I love the status screen after an act. I killed nearly 200 people in act 1. :lol It took me 5 hours to finish.

Story wise, the first megaton was dropped on me, it doesn't involve the main plot but the characters and it was a shocker. Early act 2 spoiler
Campbell is a PIMP!!!! He married Rose, holy crap! Meryl has serious daddy issues. I loved every scene with her in it, I want to see more Meryl, it was just like old times. Oh and Rose is still just as boring as ever. :p There wasan interesting conversation I had with Otacon about CQC, look for it guys.

Living up to the hype, I love it!

le.phat said:
normally i'm not one to question an editorials integrity but even if the story/settings don't work for you, how can you give this game an 8 ? I'm enjoying this game more then anything else of the last 6 or so years. Its like i'm reintroduced to gaming. sheer joy.

Related with something said in the GT review, I understand the maps are linear unlike say Deus Ex (sorry to keep reusing it, but damnit its a great game and great example of real non-oblivion style multiple paths that are detailed and not just a permutation), but its feels very varied in options in how to proceed. Hell, just look at the opening of act two.

Epix

McLovin said:
I'm about 25 minutes into this game and holy crap this game looks ridiculously good! I know its probably been mentioned before but this game looks fuckin awesome!
And those commercials at the beginning look really really good. I was shocked when I found out I could change the channel
Same here, I thought I changed channel too.

McLovin

RoboPlato said:
I'm completely floored at how good this game looks on an SDTV. Everyone was telling me that my money would be wasted on a PS3 without an HDTV but this game truly proves them wrong.
Plus my college roommate has an HD set so once I go back I'll be able to use that.:D
I saw my cousin play at his house on an sdtv.. shortly after I went to my house and played it on my hdtv. My jaw dropped to the ground. It looks ridiculously good on a good hdtv. I would get one for this game if I where you. This and uncharted :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom