• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just started the game a couple hours ago.

First impression: Ok, this looks fucking amazing. I want to play it.

Second impressions: Jesus Kojima, you wanna direct a movie? Let me play the fucking game already.

More impressions: The sound is absolutely amazing. It rivals Company of Heroes.

Even more impressions: Omg, the gunpron. Omg. This is better than Resident Evil 4.

This is the first MGS game that I didn't want to stop playing. I'm kinda hoping Parish's review isn't entirely accurate. I want this to stay as good as it is right now. Minor complaints: Wth is CQC? I don't understand stealth kills, I do something differently every time it seems.

Apart from that, this is brilliant, glad I got it, cause I wasn't expecting to like it as much as I do.

Blablurn

Mister Chef said:
I am shocked.

How can some of you guys finish the game in one day? Some of you even on one sitting :lol

I told my friends not to disturb me :/ I even avoid soccer. Damn, I wanted this game so bad - just because of the story. the real fun starts now. finding all the hidden stuff etc..

My play time was 25h.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Ugh I wish there was a tutorial. I had no clue if I didn't hold the triangle button down that I would slap a fallen enemy on the back and wake him up. :lol

That was NOT in the plans.

How do I do any of the stealth kills? grab a guy and hold him stuff?

rod

Banned
Mister Chef said:
I am shocked.

How can some of you guys finish the game in one day? Some of you even on one sitting :lol

the last game i played that i just could not put down (missing toilet breaks, showers, outside world becomes irrelivant etc) was ff7. yes, for me, its been over 10 years since i played a game where it was so engrossing that i could not leave alone. for a MG fan, its that good. i expected it to be good, but not this good. the story is amazing, the characters, the locations, the fanservice, everything, its incredible. it really sounds like this thread is jerkfest, which sometimes leads me to think a game cannot possibly be as good as the thread indicates, but every praise this game receives is warranted.

to me, this game will be game of this gen, it will take something truly special from re5 to knock it off as my personal GOTG.

Ok, close quarters combat, that makes sense.

What's the best way of taking someone out with stealth? Sneak up behind them, R2, R1? Or some kind of grab? What button's that, x?

Truelize said:
Ugh I wish there was a tutorial. I had no clue if I didn't hold the triangle button down that I would slap a fallen enemy on the back and wake him up. :lol

Yeah I'm having some issues as well.

rod

Banned
Truelize said:

crouch crawl and press (hold?) r2 and you should grab him if your angled correctly. then you can knock them out or kill them however you choose. also i dont think you can have a gun apart from a pistol equipped.

Kaytwo

In the start menu, I think it's Mission Briefings - there are tutorials for every move in the game. With detailed diagrams.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Well, in case anyone cares, the walmart manager was rather nice about me not having MGS4 inside the 80 gig bundle. Showed him my receipt, and walked out with a copy.

Now....time to play.

joesmokey

Holy shit, when I went to Gamestop to pick up my LE the employees were asking each other if they played it yet, and one was describing how the intro sequence was split into 4 smaller sequences or something like that.

If he said anything else about the intro there would've been a news story...

Fucking Gamestop.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Kaytwo said:
In the start menu, I think it's Mission Briefings - there are tutorials for every move in the game. With detailed diagrams.
Yeah I need to do that tutorial because I'm on Act 2 and I still don't know how to really play the game. (and this is coming from someone who's finished every previous MGS game.)

Barrett2

Holy shit; 5 hours in, I just caught my first glimpse of the
Beauty and the Beast Unit

My mind is blown! This game is amazing!

Right, so my third playthrough, and this time on easy.

I completed Act 1 in 40 minutes.. no alerts, only problem is.. 2 kills..

So choking enemies in easy is a kill.. how inconvinient -_-

Need to start all over again, thank god I backed up that save ;o

aparisi2274

I am about 3.5hrs in. Just met the
Rat Patrol
and I had a quick question... When you eventually get those LONG cutscenes, what can one do to pause the cutscene so you dont have to miss it? Do you just press START?

Don

Just played a good part of act 3, now at the second boss and decided to stop for a while but I cant stop thinking about everything happening in the game. All the stuff that gets revealed around the middle of act 3 is pretty crazy.
I kind of expected the stuff about Zero as it was heavily hinted at in Portable Ops, but after that theres so much to take in when Eva is explaining everything about the Patriots, and then seeing the corpse in the van and those weird balls with hands in a disguise.
I have no idea how this is all going to wrap up.

This is the best game I've played in a long time and I just hope it keeps getting better. I love how different each stage has felt so far.

Teknoman

Just started the game and am still in the initial few scenes:

Good lord those Gekkos are scary :lol I mean they're worse than Nemesis :D

eLGee

Mefisutoferesu said:
>:|

No MGS Saga shipped with my LE... angry! Any thoughts on how to get it?

Not even the Blu-ray case? What region are you from? If you're from the US, you should've noticed the rattling inside the LE-case before opening it.

Either way, try emailing Konami or go to the place you bought it from.

burgerdog

Mister Chef said:
I am shocked.

I don't want it to end, I've waited so long for this game. The last thing I want to do is beat it in one day, I'll probably finish it in 4-5 days.

Barrett2

burgerdog said:
I don't want it to end, I've waited so long for this game. The last thing I want to do is beat it in one day, I'll probably finish it in 4-5 days.

Yeah, I don't understand the urge to rush through a game. I took my sweet time with GTA4, and I am going to take my sweet time with this one.

Don

I was reading through a few parts of the guide book and trying not to look at any spoilers but I seen a part about the camera that says if you wait until the act 4 mission briefing before getting the camera
there will be an exclusive picture of naomi on it. Has anyone got this and is it possible to do it again on a different playthrough if you already picked up the camera before act 4, or does the camera carry over for each playthrough preventing you to do it
?

Oh man. I have some pretty bad luck. Today I find myself in the same predicament as *Act 1 related*
Johnny Akiba and his diarrhea.
I don't whether that's irony or the Burger King I ate today :-/.

Choc

Banned
CosmicGroinPull said:
I thought it was realtime when I saw the
plane

Is this just before you go to south america? or after? i am kinda wondering if i have started act 2 yet. Just left the middle east chasing liquid

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Picked up my LE + Artbook this morning. Got home, installed, updated MGO, registered my ID (same as the MGO Beta), downloaded some freebies...

And shut it off. I really need to get back into MGS3s and MGS:pO before I move onto MGS4! :lol

Kittonwy

Banned
Mejilan said:
Picked up my LE + Artbook this morning. Got home, installed, updated MGO, registered my ID (same as the MGO Beta), downloaded some freebies...

And shut it off. I really need to get back into MGS3s and MGS:pO before I move onto MGS4! :lol

RAWRRAWRRAWR RAWRRAWR RAWRRAWRRAWR.
Indifferent2.gif

I'm in shock from teh awesomeness.

rod

Banned
Y2Kev said:
I'm so pissed off. She
was one of my favorite Metal Gear characters.

likewise.
to be honest tho, i knew there was a death coming, i could feel it, and at the end of act 3, i couldve sworn it was going to be meryl. and then the game makes it out to be that yeah, shes "dead". i felt gutted. my gf was borderline tears! lol, but yeah, someone had to die just sucks that eva/big mama was such a badass, passionate character:( RIP :(

Mejilan said:

There are freebies to download?

I am not one to freak out but this is one of the best gaming experiences - ever.

rod

Banned
Y2Kev said:
Act 4 opening.

I have no words.

I have. no. words.

dont know if your this far into act 4 but its pretty early, maybe right after you get out of the "storm" but when i
walked into the "zone" and saw the helipad. the feeling the game gave me. it was unmatched. even just typing this brings a smile to my face. kojima knows how to make his fans knees buckle

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
rod said:
likewise.
to be honest tho, i knew there was a death coming, i could feel it, and at the end of act 3, i couldve sworn it was going to be meryl. and then the game makes it out to be that yeah, shes "dead". i felt gutted. my gf was borderline tears! lol, but yeah, someone had to die just sucks that eva/big mama was such a badass, passionate character:( RIP :(

I knew the entire game wasn't going to go without a death. I'm sure more are coming too, but up until Act 3 everyone was just a little too lucky.

edit: Is there any reason not to
play the rest of the game with the youngsnake face camo? old snake is shiteous and scarred.

rod said:
dont know if your this far into act 4 but its pretty early, maybe right after you get out of the "storm" but when i
walked into the "zone" and saw the helipad. the feeling the game gave me. it was unmatched. even just typing this brings a smile to my face. kojima knows how to make his fans knees buckle

THE. MUSIC.

THE FUCKING MUSIC.

brandon is going to shit his pants

le.phat

okay, so i've just come off a 14 hours gaming session, made to the beginning of act four. i'm drained, what an experience. can't wait to pick up right where i left off the earliest of tommorrow :lol

kuYuri

So, final word for those who bought US LE... is it worth it? I don't care about the soundtrack, so that really only leaves the documentary and the Shinkawa art.

Maaseru said:
Hey can i pause the cut-scenes? I dont want to skip on purpose.

You can pause cutscenes.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Jesus FUCKING Christ!

I'm not even finished with Act 1 yet and already I'm in total and complete awe at this game! I feel like this is the first true next-gen game I've ever played. All others pale in comparison.

Everything added together make it so, from the visuals to the sound. Seriously the sound in this game rivals or at least equals the best blu-ray movies I have. There were some explosions that were rattling dishes in my kitchen with LFE. Un-fucking-believable this game is!

Doc Evils

Wow just finished act 3.

The most amazing level in gaming ever? it easily beat snake eater.

Kojima, you amaze me, you really do, just when I thought it couldn't get any better you keep on blowing me away. damn.

GOTF.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
DoctorWho said:
There are freebies to download?

I am not one to freak out but this is one of the best gaming experiences - ever.

Yeah. Um... a song for the iPod and an OctoCamo suit. Red, I think. Both are free.

rod

Banned
Y2Kev said:
THE. MUSIC.

THE FUCKING MUSIC.

seeing shadow moses with these kind of visuals. with the music. on top of these previous HOLY SHIT chapters, seriously. the helipad and tanker area looked so good. i tried to use the elevator in the second section :D when otacon called i thought he was gonna tell me to remember not to use weapons in the area:lol

seriously to me that whole area was just the biggest....i dunno what it was. like you said, i had no words, i have no words now. i will keep that save file there for when i want to revisit the area.

Y2Kev said:
THE. MUSIC.

THE FUCKING MUSIC.

Probably. It's not hard for me to do that at this point. I'm still fighting
Laughing Octopus.

I also got my midnight ticket for Incredible Hulk. Not that it's more important, but I'm in no hurry to beat this legendary game.

Ahhhh, that's why porting the game would take more than just moving the code over.
:lol

rod said:

Same. I started getting a little misty eye'd

Then again, that might be the fact that I've been playing since 10AM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom