• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

MercuryLS

Banned
Man the feeling of being in a war torn ME country is amazing, explosions going off, enemies flying overhead, bullets hitting the walls around you. It's awesome, MGS pulls this off way better than COD4 IMO.

Doc Evils

I really like that portable ops songs Calling in the Night or something. Fighting Raging Raven with that playing when it's night is fucking epic.

Naomi is soo fiit. lulz

andycapps

Going to have to spoiler this whole post regarding Act II.
HOLY CRAP AT THE CHASE SCENE AFTER DREBIN PICKS UP SNAKE AND NAOMI!!!! HOLY CRAP!

So I have a question.

Is there any way to just straight up run and gun? Old school MGS style? I couldn't seem to figure it out and it used to be one of my favorite things to do especailly in MGS3.

just finished act 1.

someone earlier said that they feel like this is the first next gen game that they've played, and i totally agree. mgs4 really is a perfect storm of great storytelling, jaw-dropping cinematic presentation, unbelievable music, and what is by far and away the best gameplay in a metal gear game ever.

I'm in awe.

Teknoman

Fallout-NL said:
Still, it's kinda hard to see the point of all the guns if you' re not supposed to shoot them. :lol

Well you can, when necessary or when it serves your purposes best.

gamerx said:
I like the music the Ipod has in it, is there going to be a patch that allows you to play the music that's on the hdd?

Most likely not. Its mostly Metal Gear and Kojima related stuff. You might get some new podcast downloads and music eventually for free though.

KZObsessed

HOLY FUCK THIS GAME JUST GETS MORE AND MORE AWESOME! YES IM SHOUTING AS IM TYPING!!!

ACT II was pretty much perfect, ACT III's ending was mind blowing, then came ACT IV... OMG ACT IV!! Just 1 awesome moment after another!!!

I'm at the (ACT IV SPOILER)
Metal Gear Fight :OOOOOOOOO.
Just had to save and quit, it's too much for one sitting, I'll finish it 2moro!

Just wow tho, so far my unbelievably high expectations have been met and even exceeded in some aspects.

edit: I'm 16 hours in so far. Gonna be at least a good 20 hours from me by the end.

Teknoman

lawblob said:
Yeah, I don't understand the urge to rush through a game. I took my sweet time with GTA4, and I am going to take my sweet time with this one.

Still taking my time with GTA IV. I'm just getting to the part where
Manny dies out of the blue. Did not see that coming

BudokaiMR2 said:
So I have a question.

Is there any way to just straight up run and gun? Old school MGS style? I couldn't seem to figure it out and it used to be one of my favorite things to do especailly in MGS3.

I've done this several times... especially in Act 2. I try to mix it up though and use stealth were appropriate.

PROOP

FREAKING OUT MAN
xS1TH L0RDx said:
whoa!!! during the mission briefing for act two,
otacon's wallpaper on his computer is ZOE

that should make a lot of people smile :)

The Japanese version is
Policenauts

MercuryLS

Banned
Quick question, if the first part of the game when you pick up an RPG should I take down the tank shooting at the rebels? Or not bother and save the RPG for later?

Tiduz

Eurogaime
GAF, explain this to me, i think i just unlocked a secret after defeating the first boss: SPOILERS ABOUT POTENTIAL SECRET ITEM:
The laughing Octopus beauty, i defeated her with my tranq gun and got a facecamo with her face and a normal facecamo, but do you need to "kill" her 2 times with the tranq gun? Because the first time it took alot of bullets, the 2nd time like 1/6th of what it took o_O

Teknoman

DoctorWho said:
I've done this several times... especially in Act 2. I try to mix it up though and use stealth were appropriate.

Definatly. Even though im just in Act 1 at the very beginning, I can see how once you get into the thick of things with the PMCs vs the Rebels, you'd be able to selectively take out a few people to make the others see you're on their side. Then tranq when there is no other party to take advantage of.

Also I wish the new firmware was out now, maybe there would be a trophy for taking down a Gekko? Not sure if you actually get to fight them, but just saying.

andycapps

This game is stressing me out. But I can't stop playing!

McLovin said:
I can't even comprehend how this game got anything less then a 10/10 from any reviewer.. and I'm only a couple of hours in.

I agree completely.

scoobs

Oh my gosh guys, just finished Act 3 and I was on the verge of just standing up and applauding. AMAZING game so far, just indescribably amazing.

MercuryLS said:
Quick question, if the first part of the game when you pick up an RPG should I take down the tank shooting at the rebels? Or not bother and save the RPG for later?

Just use it, there are tons of rockets and you can buy more

Ephemeris

I haven't had the chance to play it yet :(

Been awake since 5am on the 11th; went to both Kojima signings in NYC. Today was definitely the best; he shook my hand after he signed my MGS1 :D

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
IGN review is up!

10/10

10 Presentation
A story worthy of a feature length film, with action that keeps you engaged from the second you hit the start button 'til the final credits roll.

10 Graphics
Incredibly detailed and visually breathtaking, with amazing camera angles, MGS4 is one of the most beautiful titles ever made.

10 Sound
Haunting melodies, the re-introduction of classic themes via iPod, and perfect line delivery by actors -- this is an aural delight from start to finish.

10 Gameplay
Not only does MGS4 include new gameplay mechanics, it shatters the mold of what's expected from the series. Stealth, action, or balanced play: the choice is yours in how you explore this MGS world.

10 Lasting Appeal
There are dozens of secrets and Sexy times, along with tons of ways to approach any combat situation. Plus, when you're done with the single La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo, MGO will keep you engaged for weeks on end.

Masterful OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/881/881472p1.html

Nizz

Yeah! I just walked into my local Target and picked up MGS 4 :D I'm installing the game right now and I'm hypnotized at the loading screen! ;) *off to play...*

KZObsessed

sykoex said:

oh shi--

Is it possible to give a game an 11? If so, this would be the game that would merit that score. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots is a title that exceeds all of the hype that was attached to the title. Regardless of whether you've seen every trailer and screenshot, read every preview and heard every interview, you won't get a full sense of how phenomenal this title is unless you sit down and experience it for yourself.

tha_con

Banned
So amazing. Jesus.

The immersion and ambiance is unbelievable.

unbelieve.jpg

rod

Banned
after reading the GTA oscar worthy story stuff from ign...yeah.

but this is true. if the MG games were movies, mgs4 would be up there with one of the greatest movie/story conclusions ever.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
xS1TH L0RDx said:
the iPod is so sick. i love you ryan payton. in a totally non-sexual way. you're the fucking man.
I saw it and was excited because I thought I'd be able to play my music, but alas I cannot, still a cool little idea though.

Teknoman

xS1TH L0RDx said:
the iPod is so sick. i love you ryan payton. in a totally non-sexual way. you're the fucking man.

I was not expecting that MGS3 shagohod theme.

Do you have to keep holding down the item button to have it play though? I might stand still and listen to some of the songs, but definatly not going to run around with it on.

Yagharek

I'm playing this through on Hard first go. Never done that on any of the other MGS games at all. I want to savour and earn this playthrough.

I wont post details at all, its not fair to those who havent started it - but this game is just stunning. I am floored by it, and I cant think of a single game that comes close to it in terms of next gen presentation, atmosphere, gameplay, everything. I dont need any other game but this.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Teknoman said:
I was not expecting that MGS3 shagohod theme.

Do you have to keep holding down the item button to have it play though? I might stand still and listen to some of the songs, but definatly not going to run around with it on.

I was not expecting the song from Portable ops. I love this game!!!!!

Darklord

Banned
Wow another 10! :O

All this talk makes me want to play this game even though I've never been into MGS since the first game.

I kind of regret seeing the ending now it's ruined everything...

Oneself

Just to say that I played all day and it shouldn't be called Metal Gear. It should be called Orgasm Game. I need to take a break, I'll continue tomorrow :lol

mr stroke

tha_con said:
So amazing. Jesus.

The immersion and ambiance is unbelievable.

unbelieve.jpg

+1

this game will go in my TOP 10 of all time now, the pacing and scripting is second to none. End of Act Two scene is :0

fucking amazing in every way.....

str8-h4x

fuck, I just got my ass HANDED to me 3 times in a row before I ever got to mk.II on normal (the real normal).

I think I should finish 2 and 3 and then COME BACK to this.

Yeah, so I just finished the game about a half hour ago.

Started playing when I posted my return from the midnight signing, 18 hours straight.

I could not be fucking happier right now.

Game of All Dimensions

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The boss battle name that you know about if you know the BB Corps:
Crying Wolf
is some ps4 shit.

MickeyKnox said:

Started playing when I posted my return from the midnight signing, 18 hours straight.

Game of All Dimensions

with this game out, after RE5 gaming might as well just cancel itself

MickeyKnox said:

Game of All Dimensions

yes or no, is there totally awesome shit after the credits like the other games?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom