• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The official WipEout HD thrEad of unEcessary captilization

just got that 99 lap speed run trophy. i wasn't willing to actually sit down and play through it so i taped the X button down, played on phantom difficulty, and put on pilot assist and walked away for 30 minutes; worked like a charm.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
managed to get it - moved house, got internet up, slashed thumb open, came back from hospital and just played.

:O

:O :O :O

SEXY SEXY SEXY.

Feels a little more Pure than Pulse so far though, which is a little weird/disappointing but that might just be the first play feeling. And the female announcers voice is a little off , but jebus - does it look the part!!!!

spoon!

They've said they know about it and are working on a fix. Havn't paid much attention to it since my psn friendcount is practically nonexistant >_>

WipedOut

Played my first 12 track online tourney last night and man was that a blast. Half of the field left after two races so it ended up only being a 4 player race but I had more fun in that tourney than in any other one I've played.

RpgN

I was afraid to go online from all the talk about bugs and such. Today I had the courage to try it out and it worked very smoothly. No freezes or bugs. I sucked at the first few rounds but then won twice and stayed at number 2 often. 11 rounds with no lag and the connection was quick. I just wished more people would talk. Just to see what they think and all.

Ps. I have 36 friends on my list, maybe that why I didn't see any bugs.

Eccocid

PLS PATCH THE GAME and remove ASSIST! its unfair. I dont use it but seems like it makes RAPIER class very easy for inexperienced players on online :(. I was like how do they win! then checked auto assist first time, man its so HAX, you can get Perfect Lap with it on even phantom lol.

RpgN

Eccocid said:
PLS PATCH THE GAME and remove ASSIST! its unfair. I dont use it but seems like it makes RAPIER class very easy for inexperienced players on online :(. I was like how do they win! then checked auto assist first time, man its so HAX, you can get Perfect Lap with it on even phantom lol.

Yes! It's so annoying. I sucked so much the first few rounds because I'm not using it. But many people use it and they look at me as if I'm not a good player >_<

Eccocid

RpgN said:
Yes! It's so annoying. I sucked so much the first few rounds because I'm not using it. But many people use it and they look at me as if I'm not a good player >_<

Yeah, i have been playing Wipeout since the first game and i was so pissed off when i lost in Rapier or Phantom races. I didnt expect ppl to be that good till i tried Assist lol. Such a shame :p At least there should be a setting for turning it off in online races.

Eccocid said:
Yeah, i have been playing Wipeout since the first game and i was so pissed off when i lost in Rapier or Phantom races. I didnt expect ppl to be that good till i tried Assist lol. Such a shame :p At least there should be a setting for turning it off in online races.

Damn, it may be hypocritical but I guess I'll be starting to use assist in phantom too.

Xater

Eccocid said:

Wait what? You can use the assist online? This should really get axed. No wonder I lost so horribly on the highest class and all the others using ships that have the worst handling...

WipedOut

You can easily tell the people that are using it. When they veer to the side they magically bounce back to the middle. Pisses me off but makes me want to beat them even more. They do need to add the option for the host to disable this feature.

jax (old)

Banned
matthsv said:
Finished all the events. This is my first wipeout and I really like the controls and the way the ships handle (especially at phantom level). Now to try and get gold in all the events, I heard it gets you
chrome paint for the ships

all events? no shit. that good at the game?

haven't played much online - but the fact that people are playing with assist online... annoys me!

U K Narayan said:
Is there much of a point in pursuing Loyalty to a single craft, after you've gotten 11,000 points?

for me.. I don't see much point in using some of the other vehicles. such a assegai (sp) fanboy I am. controls so smooth.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I just posted the 78th best time on Vineta K (non-assisted). I absolutely cannot get enough of this game right now. Rocking some Oakenfold in 5.1. Soooooo good.

McLovin

Man I love love LOOOOOVE Wipeout HD!! I'm so glad I got it! The only thing I don't like is that when you go off track it sets you back waaaay to far :( Its like an instant loss if your playing against good people online. I hope they fix it.

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
Jax said:
all events? no shit. that good at the game?

haven't played much online - but the fact that people are playing with assist online... annoys me!

for me.. I don't see much point in using some of the other vehicles. such a assegai (sp) fanboy I am. controls so smooth.
not all gold though and doing the races on skilled..

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I got to play this through my HDReady projector last night with a screen around 8ft wide and the 5.1 blasting out and it's a truly orgasmic experience. It's games like these that got me hooked on gaming in the first place.
I just love the zen like gameplay; cutting corners, boosting, shaving a second or so every lap as you glide around the track. It's a truly awesome experience.

jett

D-Member
Eccocid said:

I agree, "assist mode" is a stupid idea. I haven't used it, and I never will.

rabhw

I feel much less terrible knowing now that the majority of people that were beating me were using assists. Seems like a fairly glaring omission to allow assists online, or at least not to allow a filter for them.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
McLovin said:
The only thing I don't like is that when you go off track it sets you back waaaay to far :( Its like an instant loss if your playing against good people online. I hope they fix it.
Yeah they might as well just disqualify you, to go on is only a waste of time unless you really want those loyalty points.

WipedOut

I tried using the assist once to see what it was like and it made me worst instead of better. it made me bounce around like a pinball. That gamespot video that was posted eariler was very evident that he was using the assist.

Add me for Non Assist play
PSN = W193D0UT

Kweh

Event 5 - Head Rush

Vineta K Time Trial Venom

How on earth are you supposed to break 30 seconds? I did it at 30.98 with the Icaras and perfect laps. I fail to see how I could get any faster, is it down to where you use the boost?

WipedOut

McLovin said:
Man I love love LOOOOOVE Wipeout HD!! I'm so glad I got it! The only thing I don't like is that when you go off track it sets you back waaaay to far :( Its like an instant loss if your playing against good people online. I hope they fix it.

I've noticed that many people online try on purpose to knock you off the track. Last night I did something that made me laugh so hard I almost couldn't complete the race. One guy in a Auricom ship was trying to bounce me off the track, I hit both airbrakes at the same time right before he hit me and he went flying off the track instead.

Online is what makes this game. I just wish more people would talk.

Greg

This game is fucking awesome, and the experience just went up a ton once I started using the custom soundtracks. The effects added to the music while certain events are happening really take it to a whole different level - makes it feel like a part of the game instead of just noise playing over the game.

And a quick question - how much does the difficulty spike up? It has been so long since I played the PSP version I forgot how the progression works. Just finished the first 3 sets of events all gold and it has been pretty damn easy... seems to me that the higher the class the better I'm playing because I tend to overcompensate on turns with the slower classes and it fucks me up.

DaFish

Didn't realize people could use Auto-Assist online... I'll add you guys to my PSN

PSN: DaFish

P.S. This game is Fu
cki
n
g awsome!

h3ro

The 2097 HUD is awesome, so much easier to read than the HD HUD...

Also, what is the consensus on the best ship in the game, is it the Icaras?

Ceb

Do the leaderboards take a really long time to update or what? I got #2 on Metropia speed lap last night and still don't see my time up there on the global list.

1-D_FTW

DaFish said:
Didn't realize people could use Auto-Assist online... I'll add you guys to my PSN

PSN: DaFish

P.S. This game is Fu
cki
n
g awsome!

I finally played one of the faster classes online yesterday and I was finally thinking... so that's why you'd wanna use driver assist. But I agree, that shit needs to be filtered out.

Was also slightly disappointed to see you're not eliminated when your ship blows up. I was in a race where I was constantly flirting with disaster (and eating power ups) and constantly heard "contender eliminated." Here I'm thinking I just had to keep from blowing up and I was gonna be the winner. Came in 5th out of 7th that race. It was that roller coaster course and my first time playing it.

The single player game is broke. Seriously the rubber banding on novice is bullshit. The winner still gets the same times as they do on elite. There's absolutely no point in having difficulty levels, since they don't make a difference at all.

lol51

1-D_FTW said:
I finally played one of the faster classes online yesterday and I was finally thinking... so that's why you'd wanna use driver assist. But I agree, that shit needs to be filtered out.

I think pilot assist limits your max speed. I was regularly finishing 7/8th (5th on best run) on elite with pilot assist, but without it was able to reach 1st after some serious retries.

Kweh said:
Event 5 - Head Rush

Vineta K Time Trial Venom

How on earth are you supposed to break 30 seconds? I did it at 30.98 with the Icaras and perfect laps. I fail to see how I could get any faster, is it down to where you use the boost?

I got 26 seconds once, but on average I get 27 seconds. I use the boost near the end and barrel rolls as well to get an extra boost over the start/finish line.. Sorry that was on Flash.

But on venom I get 29 seconds. 29.47 being my best so far.

jett

D-Member
Feral Youth said:
The single player game is broke. Seriously the rubber banding on novice is bullshit. The winner still gets the same times as they do on elite. There's absolutely no point in having difficulty levels, since they don't make a difference at all.

There's no rubber banding in this game.

AKS

The uneven difficulty seems to be the only major flaw I've been able to identify with this game. Hopefully they will update it and fix this eventually. I should not finish 5 seconds ahead of everyone in one event and then struggle to finish above last in the next within the same level/grid/whatever.

decon

neojubei said:
I'm up for it. No pilot assist please.
Yeah me too. And no assist. I actually thought that the speed reduction from using it would be enough but seems like it's not.

And feel free to add me too decon89.

If anyone needs help with setting up a tourny then PM me and I'll try to help out :)

Top Bottom