• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic and the Black Knight Preview , new screens

ghst

thanks for the laugh
i wonder what game was doki doki panic'd to create this super mario bros 2-ian chimera.

if only this game turned out as good as smb2.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Death_Born said:
3074286283a8e4dcab7eme0.jpg

=
34sl1tj.jpg

:lol
Oh god not again!

WalterMclure said:
I'm interested in the game but honestly I hate the "ninja" run. Fuck that. I saw this video of these dorks in Naruto costumes doing that shit and it looks so stupid. Developers need to stop putting that crap in games, people don't run like that and it looks dumb.
Sonic has run like that since Sonic Adventure. Helps with his aerodynamics.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Some of the new shots give me a Space Harrier vibe. I've no idea why, but it'd be awesome of this actually turned out anywhere near as good as those.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
comedy bomb said:
total bullshot

I dunno man, that looks like it's kinda hard to bullshot.

abstract alien said:
If you start a slide just before going into a ledge section and hold it, he will slide across the ledge quickly(and with style!) as opposed to him doing the whole wall press crap. Makes the game flow so much better, give it a try. Its a nice way to carve some time off of your speed runs as well.

What about when there's spikes coming out from the wall? I imagine he gets hit and falls over the edge as opposed to him grasping onto the ledge.

Andrex said:
I dunno man, that looks like it's kinda hard to bullshot.

What about when there's spikes coming out from the wall? I imagine he gets hit and falls over the edge as opposed to him grasping onto the ledge.
He will slide underneath them, and if you pick up enough speed, he will make it across before the spikes even come out.

The graphics themselves look very good. I'm more than satisfied by this, but the only thing that would make a world of difference, is if they added some nice lightning because it looks a bit flat. However, I doubt this is possible on Wii (unless you're called Nintendo I guess).

However...the game play... Let's just wait and see. :)

Why the fuck do people keep comparing this to TP? Stylewise it looks nothing like it at all, the style seems a lot closer to something like Oblivion or maybe Valkyrie Profile 2. We also know very little about the gameplay but the details already released don't seem to suggest that it'll play anything like a Zelda game. Maybe the grassy field and the weird statues are reminiscent of Zelda games but comparing the cave pictures to the Goron Mines or whatever seems like a pretty big stretch, you could probably find much better comparisons from other games.

Souldriver said:
The graphics themselves look very good. I'm more than satisfied by this, but the only thing that would make a world of difference, is if they added some nice lightning because it looks a bit flat. However, I doubt this is possible on Wii (unless you're called Nintendo I guess).

However...the game play... Let's just wait and see. :)

Looking at this shot:

72891520081201_174850_15_big.jpg

Can you really think that the game is short on lighting effects for a Wii game?

That's good enough for me!

The only visual improvements I could want now are higher polygoned character models, making sure all the shadows are intact, as Sonic above seems to lack his in that shot, and a 60 frames per second framerate!

Vanish

i liked the darker-looking sonic model better than the one theyre using now (the one from secret rings). always thought that model looked terrible. why cant they just use a model similar to the one in brawl?

Vanish said:
i liked the darker-looking sonic model better than the one theyre using now (the one from secret rings). always thought that model looked terrible. why cant they just use a model similar to the one in brawl?
What? Are you refering to this?
23kdgk6.jpg

Cause thats caused by their shitty compression. This is how it SHOULD look.
72891520081201_174849_7_big.jpg

Ha! Look at what I noticed:

72891520081201_174851_25_big.jpg

See the five wooden structures to the right? In the trailer, it was shown to launch a rope for Sonic to grind on (you can only see this by going frame-by-frame) and since all of those are pointing at different directions, Sonic can choose which route he can take. And how can he do this easily if he was on rails? Plus this gives us what we've been wanting; alternate routes! :D

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Hero of Legend said:
Ha! Look at what I noticed:

See the five wooden structures to the right? In the trailer, it was shown to launch a rope for Sonic to grind on (you can only see this by going frame-by-frame) and since all of those are pointing at different directions, Sonic can choose which route he can take. And how can he do this easily if he was on rails? Plus this gives us what we've been wanting; alternate routes! :D

Nice catch. I went through the trailer frame-by-frame for my GIFs but I hadn't noticed that.

gabe90

Damn I wish this wasn't a Sonic game. If this were revealed and had a different main character, people would be hailing it as Sega's masterpiece Wii game for the hardcore.

Sonic's presence in this makes me want to discard it as the trash it likely is...

Here's another idea: let's not waste time, resources, or replay incentives (the Fire Souls) on a bad tacked-on minigame mode.

Andrex said:
This part?

2ijixr5.gif

Didn't notice anything. o_0

Before that silly. :p

If you need the video, go to Gametrailers, you can download the video in full quality.

Edit: Wait, it's right there at the very beginning of that GIF!

Tenbatsu said:

Except his mouth is only at the side in that artwork and on his trophy, never in-game. :/

Also, I actually hated how he's colored in Brawl. His skin just doesn't look right, and he's not as bold blue as he should be, especially in game. :(

The Black Knight model gets it right in my opinion.

Tenbatsu said:

Except his mouth is only at the side in that artwork and on his trophy, never in-game. :/

Also, I actually hated how he's colored in Brawl. His skin just doesn't look right, and he's not as bold blue as he should be, especially in game. :(

The Black Knight model gets it right in my opinion.

Edit: Darn it, it double posted. :/

Vanish

yeah black wind, but it looks it was due to the compression, i still dont really like that model (prefer the one from brawl a lot more). doesnt matter though, as a sonic fan, im still going to get it, ive managed to enjoy all the 3d sonic games

sonic1.png

poor image quality but i like this look the best

Jaded Alyx said:
His legs are far too short.

And he looks fat.

If Sega wanted to learn from Nintendo they would, at the very least, learn to exaggerate/ stretch shit. Just look at SMG. (I love pointing at that game :lol )

I would love to see that Sonic with the figure 8 run cycle.

Guybrush Threepwood said:
I have no idea why Sega can't go back to this design.

sonic-classic.jpg

Timeless.

Mainly two reasons:

1) Sonic's old design looks... kinda weird seen from behind. That would make 3D games with behind-the-back perspectives look odd.

6oft42.gif
517w2u.gif
nbbwq8.png
j9oi9y.png
1zp4htd.png

2) Short and squat is totally un-cool. It's all about being skinny and taller these days, it makes you more like an anime hero!!! AKA, lol sega

Sonic Unleashed and currently what we have seen of Sonic Black KNight models are perhaps the best. The other sonics were either too fat/chubby or in the case of Brawl thin and wrongly colored.

EmCeeGramr said:
Mainly two reasons:

1) Sonic's old design looks... kinda weird seen from behind. That would make 3D games with behind-the-back perspectives look odd.

Change the perspective to allow for more free-rom. Thats one thing I hated about SR . . . mostly everything was "behind the back".

Meh, I keep feeling like I have the perfect "test" idlea for a 3D Sonic game. It's like . . . a mix between PoP:SoT and SMG but more flattened platforming (As in, PoP like "momentum" but not all that claiming stuff. SMG like "free-rom+space+cartoony & creative style" and tons of different features but with "running momentum" (NOT high speed) being the focus over jumping. Oh, and no homing attacks. Let that fucker jump on his own with out having to have a target to fly to).

But thats just me. Im odd like that :lol

Teknoman

WalterMclure said:
I don't care.

Im sure it serves a practical purpose at some point. Every single action based anime or japanese character has done it at one point since...well... as far back as I can remember media wise. Just like there is a reason why some runners put their hands into a "chopping" shape instead of a fist.

Teknoman said:
Im sure it serves a practical purpose at some point. Every single action based anime or japanese character has done it at one point since...well... as far back as I can remember media wise. Just like there is a reason why some runners put their hands into a "chopping" shape instead of a fist.

I have always thought it to be just cheap animation/ a way to cut corners in animation when your doing a run cycle. Kinda like when the legs only go up and down (like a stumping action) while their body is leaded forward to make it appear that they are running super fast.

Or it's just a effect to make them seem more "streamline". (look at me! Im shaped like a arrow with my arms pointed out!)

I really don't think people actually ran like that in Japan at any point in time if thats what you were getting at.:lol

totowhoa

Banned
I haven't even bothered with any of the new Sonic games though... but I'm a bit more interested in this, so long as Sega does it right. I'll definitely be watching out for the previews/reviews of it.

Agalloch

gabe90 said:
Damn I wish this wasn't a Sonic game. If this were revealed and had a different main character, people would be hailing it as Sega's masterpiece Wii game for the hardcore.

Sonic's presence in this makes me want to discard it as the trash it likely is...

This.

Turn Sonic in a new Sega character with a sword in this screens,
and we all hail the new Sega fantasy hardcore ip of the forever.

This looks fucking stupid.

He is grinding on ROPES.
The Field or whatever it is, is barren as hell. Why would you want to explore it, it doesn't look interesting. Just your generic field.

3074286283a8e4dcab7eme0.jpg

So the graphics impress you?

It may look pretty for a Wii game, but all this shot says to me is that we need a generic armour dude with a bigger axe. Stick Weathertop in the background and give the clouds nice hi res textures.

It is nothing amazing.

It really doesn't take much to impress Sonic fans these days does it?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
dabookerman said:
It really doesn't take much to impress Sonic fans these days does it?
I'm certain that the people impressed are focused on the fact that it's a Wii game. Many openly said in this thread that they would like Sonic out of it.

dabookerman said:
The Field or whatever it is, is barren as hell. Why would you want to explore it, it doesn't look interesting. Just your generic field.
How is a field generic? Is the grass supposed to be blue or something?

And it looks like less of an "exploration" style field than a "run fast as Sonic over great distances between enemies and obstacles" type of area.

72891520081201_174849_8_big.jpg

72891520081201_174851_28_big.jpg

Notice how in the top screen, in the distance you can see the same type of enemy that Sonic is running between in the bottom screen.

72891520081201_174851_22_big.jpg

72891520081201_174851_23_big.jpg

In these two, you can see various platforms, obstacles, and rooms to run through and jump on, as well as what look like enemies or powerups (those floating things and the treasure chest).

72891520081201_174851_24_big.jpg

Even in this one, (while I admit I don't like the bland "armor" enemies in the game at all) you can see obstacles and features in the background: on the left, what appears to be a path of something leading off to what looks like a path flanked by pillars or stones, while on the right there's a hill with a stone circle on top.

Top Bottom