• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight - Review Thread

Durden77

It's weird to me that the reviews are so split on the story. Some think it's eh and predictable, while others think it's fantastic and mind blowing.

Kinda just makes me wanna see it more to be honest.

I'm a giant fan of the series, though I controversially think City is the worst of the first three.

Knight really feels like the game City and Origins wanted to be. It's fantastic and fully has a grasp of Batman and what it is to be Batman. If you just want to boot it up and swoop around the city fighting thugs, you can do that, and it's great. If you want to do the detective stuff, you can just go do that, and it's great. Plus the story is really surprising me, considering the criticisms levelled at it.

Also the Batmobile. I goddamn love it. Basically it's a license to feel cool as fuck and it's super responsive and brilliantly integrated with on-foot Batman. You can do stuff like fight 10 goons in a street, get blindsided by shots from a drone-tank, hit the Batmobile button, it systematically batters through the streets to you, you leap and seamlessly land in it, blast the drone-tank in one shot, then fire off doing 0-60 down a street, hit the glide button and launch hundreds of feet into the air, swooping away across rooftops to find more baddies.

I mean what the fuck. The whole experience is utterly seamless and there's nary a frame-drop on PS4.

It's just so fucking great. So far I'm not understanding any of the Batmobile criticisms. Even when you're forced to use it the context always feels right.

lhjhbB9.gif

DrBo42

I'm a giant fan of the series, though I controversially think City is the worst of the first three.

Knight really feels like the game City and Origins wanted to be. It's fantastic and fully has a grasp of Batman and what it is to be Batman. If you just want to boot it up and swoop around the city fighting thugs, you can do that, and it's great. If you want to do the detective stuff, you can just go do that, and it's great. Plus the story is really surprising me, considering the criticisms levelled at it.

Also the Batmobile. I goddamn love it. Basically it's a license to feel cool as fuck and it's super responsive and brilliantly integrated with on-foot Batman. You can do stuff like fight 10 goons in a street, get blindsided by shots from a drone-tank, hit the Batmobile button, it systematically batters through the streets to you, you leap and seamlessly land in it, blast the drone-tank in one shot, then fire off doing 0-60 down a street, hit the glide button and launch hundreds of feet into the air, swooping away across rooftops to find more baddies.

I mean what the fuck. The whole experience is utterly seamless and there's nary a frame-drop on PS4.

It's just so fucking great. So far I'm not understanding any of the Batmobile criticisms. Even when you're forced to use it the context always feels right.

I think this mindset will be the minority post release. The forced tank combat sections are so very flat and tiring as the game goes on. There's almost 0 that's surprising in that story or executed as it should be.

Durden77

From what I'm hearing, despite it's flaws, this is the game that makes you feel THE MOST BATMAN.

And that makes me very happy. Can't wait until midnight.

OOfD2Om.gif

My god.
I wonder what someone who rates City as the best thinks?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

Nice.

This came free with my graphics card. I'm looking forward to playing it.

Neff

I'm close to the end of the game now and I agree with all of this with the exception of City being worst in the series. Batmobile love for life.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Since this IS a review thread, thought I'd mention that the Metacritic score is down to 90, and will, as I predicted many pages ago continue to decline probably into the mid 80's or lower, it's just how these things work with how reviews for big games slowly trickle out. Wonder how low it will go.

Note that I personally am looking forward to the game and almost undoubtedly be one of my favorite games of all time, but that it's interesting to note the divide.

If anyone wasn't in before, they should be now.

Trojan

Hmm, both Asylum and City got a 9, so this is somewhat of a surprise for me. I didn't like the Batmobile the second it was announced and according to this reviewer there are some forced segments... welp.

Did the same person review all those games? I wouldn't tie review scores to the outlet since people within a site can have wildly different opinions. Best to compare at the reviewer level.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong

Amazing impressions :). Thank you

Didn't think my hype level could be any higher. Avatar adjusted accordingly.

iuvITssNlBwCU.gif

Can it...can it be tomorrow?

Download/install FlyVPN -> connect to one of the free master servers -> connect to a server in Europe (game unlocks in roughly 5.5 hours versus ~10.5 everywhere else) -> restart Steam -> unlock game -> switch to Offline Mode.

I've done this multiple times before, but I cannot get it to work ATM. It's all set up right, and if I go to Steam in chrome it shows me in the UK and everything, but then when I launch Steam for real, it still shows me in the US. Tried it with FlyVPN and PIA. Both are doing the same thing. I've closed and restarted Steam multiple times.

Went to my local post office and picked up my new headphones today, so much better than the Turtle Beach P11 headset that I've been using for the last two and a half or so years. My ear holes are ready and I'm tempted to go the VPN route to start playing it sooner.

As for the story being predictable well, you're supposed to "be the Batman" after all.

SomTervo

Thanks for all the responses and +1's!

I hope you all enjoy the game as much as I do :D

I'm close to the end of the game now and I agree with all of this with the exception of City being worst in the series. Batmobile love for life.

Ma boo

I think this mindset will be the minority post release. The forced tank combat sections are so very flat and tiring as the game goes on. There's almost 0 that's surprising in that story or executed as it should be.

That he's giving people false hope.

Obviously it wont do for everyone what it's doing for me. But i literally couldnt be happier with it. I just want to play all day.

Also, if you took the batmobile out of the game entirely, it would STILL stand fantastically well as a game in the same vein as the earlier ones. I can play for hours doing side missions, never once using the Batmobile, and it's still effing brilliant.

I might feel the same as you re Batmobile once nearer the end of the game. We'll see. But right now i'm just loving it. The shooting seems really out of place to begin with but it just gets more fun for me. Also playing on Hard so some of the sections are genuinely a twitch-reaction superfast action game survival experience haha.

Bad7667

I've done this multiple times before, but I cannot get it to work ATM. It's all set up right, and if I go to Steam in chrome it shows me in the UK and everything, but then when I launch Steam for real, it still shows me in the US. Tried it with FlyVPN and PIA. Both are doing the same thing. I've closed and restarted Steam multiple times.

I just had the same problem but I might have fixed it? I know it worked for me.

If you have any other instance of steam running, exit them all. I did the phone app to but I dont know if that one would matter.

let me know if that works for you.

DrBo42

Thanks for all the responses and +1's!

I hope you all enjoy the game as much as I do :D

Ma boo

Obviously it wont do for everyone what it's doing for me. But i literally couldnt be happier with it. I just want to play all day.

Also, if you took the batmobile out of the game entirely, it would STILL stand fantastically well as a game in the same vein as the earlier ones. I can play for hours doing side missions, never once using the Batmobile, and it's still effing brilliant.

I might feel the same as you re Batmobile once nearer the end of the game. We'll see. But right now i'm just loving it. The shooting seems really out of place to begin with but it just gets more fun for me. Also playing on Hard so some of the sections are genuinely a twitch-reaction superfast action game survival experience haha.

Maybe I'm just old and full of hate. I feel like it's a combination of the tank's combat being very shallow and the sheer amount of drones being thrown at you. It's just not Batman to me, at all, in those moments.

Not a review but Giant Bomb Quick Look http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-batman-arkham-knight/2300-10436/

Brad has been helming this one instead of Jeff

Spoilers.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
This game better have at least a 15 point metacritic drop for the PC version.

Warner needs to get the message that they can't keep getting these D-tier developers to shit out ports on the PC so they can save a couple bucks.

It's a goddamn travesty.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I just had the same problem but I might have fixed it? I know it worked for me.

If you have any other instance of steam running, exit them all. I did the phone app to but I dont know if that one would matter.

let me know if that works for you.

Yeah, if you have an active instance of the client running elsewhere, including the mobile app, your region won't change.

Top Bottom