• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic and the Black Knight Preview , new screens

king zell

GAM206.pre_sonic.b2_1--article_image.jpg
GAM206.pre_sonic.gen5--article_image.jpg

GAM206.pre_sonic.knight--article_image.jpg

Unlike in The Secret Rings, Sonic’s movement is now controlled with the Nunchuk, leaving the remote free for sword-swinging duties. The game plays an awful lot like Sonic Unleashed with a focus on speedily traversing pretty landscapes with a mix of 3D and 2D platforming.
Frequently Sonic has to slow down and slash his way through errant knights and obstacles. Better yet the blade can also be used to scale and descend sheer walls with style

Still in its early stages, Sonic and the Black Knight is shaping up to be a thrilling tale of swashbuckling adventure powered by a jet engine. It’s another clever sidestepping of the traditional formula that adds something refreshingly different. Aside from the gorgeous Zelda-like visuals it looks to be fast, varied and, with emphasis on simple mission-based play, rewarding and fun

http://www.gamesradar.com/wii/sonic.../a-2008112513384546006/g-20080721153028947019

CrisKre

this game is indeed looking pretty sexy. Im impressed. Hopefully it plays well, and it doesnt end up being the latest addition to the sonic cycle curse.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
A jet engine? What engine is this one using, same from Secret Rings?

I don't get why the hell they're making soe many damn sonic games...

Why are you guys excited? There hasn't been a decent one since Sonic Adventure 2.. and even that one I probably only enjoyed since I was a huge Dreamcast fan.

Fuu

Nightbreeze said:
I don't get why the hell they're making soe many damn sonic games...
Regardless of your opinion on said games you should be able to understand that they keep doing Sonic games because they sell considerably.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Rapping Granny said:
I have not followed Sonic in years, but why does he have a FUCKING SWORD?

Because after Smash Bros, he realize he really couldn't fight for shit and decided to upgrade?

It looks weird at first thought but really, I don't think its all that strange.
A lot less strange than the first time I saw him with humans...

(swords >guns)

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
It was really strange Sega developed Sonic Unleashed and made a new engine specifically for the game while another team made this one.

15x31pi.jpg

1zz436h.jpg

1okltt.jpg

2nb7m9h.jpg

wa5y7b.jpg

i1zmzs.jpg

11ufga8.jpg

2mhvouv.jpg

15zgqkl.jpg

35crb6g.jpg

23kdgk6.jpg

Why GamesRadar puts such an obnoxiously stupid watermark on their pictures (not hotlink protection, they paste watermarks on all full-size pictures) is beyond me.

All the screens they post are insultingly compressed to 1996-era standards of quality; nobody would want to steal that.

I'm still not sold on the whole sword idea, but I have to say, those screens are pretty nice. Really crisp texture resolution.

CrisKre

This is the one sonic game people KINDA should be positive about. Developed by the Secret Ring team, looking damn good visually and being ambitious in its design. Also, no signs of shitty friends or transformations. The only fear that could arise is if the sword mechanics will work, but i dont see how they wouldnt, plus they could add a cool element to the pretty basic sonic combat in the 3d games thus far. Im optimistic.

Fuu

Guys, it's another Sonic game, we all know that. If you're not interested and are still clicking the thread you're retarded, masochist or a troll.

Death_Born said:
Two words: talking sword.

The Sonic Cycle LIIIVES!
I was going to say it took a while for the cycle to be mentioned, but then after a quick ctrl+f I realized it was already there in the first reply. :lol

CrisKre

The sword talks. Meaning that the very first thing we knew about the game was that it was centered around a new shitty friend.

My worst experiences with 3d sonic games have been the in-game mechanics switch. I despised non sonic Adventure 2 portions, werehog is awful, etc. If they nail the one gameplay element distinct to this version (sword wielding) then im downt to putting up with a talking sword, as long as it doesnt impy it will roam around on its own in search for collectibles. after all, its a kids game, so it is kinda fitting. Just give me speed and badass loops and turns.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
2useiax.gif

SonicBlackKnightGIF-RunningGrass01.gif

I have my fair share of reservations about this game, but you have to admit these look pretty cool. :D

Chowfahn

Neo Member
EmCeeGramr said:
I really love this screenshot. On one hand, you have a beautiful, huge, open landscape that looks like it would be fun to run across at Sonic's fastest speed. Then you notice a moment later that the path Sonic's on turns to the right and into a dark scary cave not even 50 feet away. The irony is just wonderful.

vareon

The graphics are...good? Bullshots or Sega really is putting a huge efforts in this game?

Never played a Sonic game before, but this one grabs my interest.

CrisKre

11ufga8.jpg

i like this shot... if only because for some reason it reminds me of F-Zero GX. dont know why lol. But yeah, graphically this game looks GREAT. I hope this particular level has rain, and also... This sonic model looks really really amazing.

Gagaman

Looks like a better 3D Golden Axe than Beast Rider did :lol

It sounds like they've taken in feedback from Secret Rings, so hopefully that games' many frustrating moments (mainly how the controls were handled) will be fixed this time. Somehow I doubt they'll be no annoying extra missions to drag the game out though. =/

Also Sega: This time please don't play the theme tune throughout the entire game. Seven Rings in hand drove me around the bend the amount of times I had to hear it. :lol

CrisKre said:
11ufga8.jpg

i like this shot... if only because for some reason it reminds me of F-Zero GX. dont know why lol. But yeah, graphically this game looks GREAT. and also... This sonic model looks really really amazing.

You mean this track?

2ymftyr.jpg

*thinks about how great an F-Zero game on Wii would be*

*drools*

Sciz

My first thought is that the open field shots look wonderful, and I hope they really are open fields (I wish). The rest are...different, but I can deal with Sonic in Warcraft.

But now all I can think about is how the NPCs all look like Gorons merged with the Happy Mask Salesman.

Haunted said:
http://i38.tinypic.com/15zgqkl.jpg

Perfect image to get the Sonic cycle started. Again.
If you completely ignore the sword and NPC, sure. We did the "Sonic flying into green fields and blue sky!" screenshot hype three years ago though, so don't expect the response to be quite as optimistic.

vareon said:
The graphics are...good? Bullshots or Sega really is putting a huge efforts in this game?

Never played a Sonic game before, but this one grabs my interest.
SEGA + Wii exclusive = generally decent graphics.

Gagaman

Jaded Alyx said:
SEGA + Wii exclusive = generally decent graphics.
Without a doubt. Secret Rings still looks pretty darn good now (screenshots never seem to do it justice though), and a lot better than the Wii version of Unleashed, which would have probably of looked better had they not decided to make the PS2 version as well. Hopefully unlike Secret Rings this one won't be so frustating to play. I sold off my copy of that game to save me from breaking one of my wii remotes. :lol

This can't follow the Sonic cycle.

When most Sonic games are first announced, the emphasis is on Sonic gameplay, and new characters/gimmicks are revealed later.

This game revealed the sword in its announcement.

RSLAEV

Looks pretty fun. People need to understand that this is what sonic is now, like it or not when you put a Sonic game in there's going to be some Crush 40 butt rock, and he's going to be doing some goofy shit like saving princesses, swinging swords, racing cars, shooting gats, grinding on rails, what have you.

Of course that doesn't justify Sonic 2006-a bad game is just a bad game...

BDGAME

Wow, nice and crispy textures! I love nitid games.

But the art is not a Sonic art. I hope at least that the gameplay can compensate it.

Evonus said:
They're doing it on purpose now. There's no other explanation.
So very true. There can't be any other reasoning. They aren't ignorant of our issues with past Sonic games they just don't give a fuck.

SuperDowns said:
So very true. There can't be any other reasoning. They aren't ignorant of our issues with past Sonic games they just don't give a fuck.

No..they just want money. Hardcore gamers/retro gamers = / = money. Little kids who think hedgehogs doing grown-up things are cool = lots of money.

The game really does look wonderful. Let's just hope that it's not full of Invisible Walls that prevent you from straying out of the main path, which seems to happen in a lot of games.

With that said, I hope this game turns out well.

The sword thing could go either way in my opinion. If it's just a quick flick of the wrist every now and them to dispatch of oncoming enemies and obstacles without slowing down it could actually be really cool. My fear is that they'll make you stop and waggle through waves of enemies thus killing the momentum of the game, similar to the werehog sections of Unleashed. Thematically I actually don't have any beef with the game. Sure, it's a little cheesy and over the top, but the environments, and even Sonic with his big ass sword, look pretty awesome.

Top Bottom