• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic and the Black Knight Preview , new screens

Diablos

He has a sword? WTF is this?

Dammit Sega, just STOP MAKING SONIC GAMES.

STOP.

The only new Sonic I want to see is one on PSN/XBLA/etc. that is 2D and in the vein of vintage Sonic. That would have potential to be amazing.

Nightbreeze said:
I don't get why the hell they're making soe many damn sonic games...

Why are you guys excited? There hasn't been a decent one since Sonic Adventure 2.. and even that one I probably only enjoyed since I was a huge Dreamcast fan.
Sonic is one of the few properties that makes Sega a lot of guaranteed money.

Rush games were decent, as was Secret Rings.

ShockingAlberto said:
Not that anyone else likes them, but I was turned off by this game by the lack of tilt controls.
But you can waggle to slash a talking sword. I'm a bit disappointed too but I'll keep an open mind.

RobbieNick

Please, all of you just STFU.

Have any of you haters even played Sonic Unleashed? It is the best Sonic 3-D game yet. Instead of it being Sonic and five other friends with alternate gameplay styles that just aren't nearly as fun, we have Sonic and the Werehog. Sonic's 3-D gameplay is the best it's even been, while the Werehog has the best alternate gameplay out of the entire 3-D series. Way better than fishing, shooting in a mech, shooting as a robot, being chased by a robot, or god-awful treasure hunting. It doesn't beat playing as Sonic in day levels, but it's still a lot of fun. It's like Sly Cooper mixed with God of War. How does that not sound like fun?

Now here comes Sonic and the Black Knight. It's part of the storybook series of Sonic games which means they can do whatever the fuck they want 'cuz it's not technically part of Sonic cannon, and is just and alternate story. Sonic with a sword? Sonic as a Werehog? Hey, if it plays good, and is a lot of fun, why not?

And THAT is my main problem with all these jaded, cynical gamers out there? Why is Sonic the only game character that gamers have decided is not allowed to make any changes to or experiment on his gameplay style? It's like someone set out rules that he must go by and never stray from. "Sonic can only run real fast and jump! He's not allowed to do anything else!"

Mario? Sure! Let him do whatever the fuck he pleases! Golf, play soccer, wear a water jet pack, shoot pies out of his ass using the Wii Zapper. Mario can do no wrong COUGH *the suckfest known as the entire Mario Party series*COUGH! What makes Mario so versatile and Sonic not?

Crash? Well, no one gives a shit about Crash anymore so, they just let him do whatever 'cuz no one cares.

If you want to talk about a franchise that experimented, and changed the way it's game played completely? How about Banjo Kazooie?! It's new gameplay features are NOTHING like the old BK games, and yet, it worked! The game's addicting and fun! The same thing happened to Unleashed but no one seems to care. Which sucks cuz Sega really did do a great job this time. Why is it so hard to get past a silly, or unusual concept, and enjoy the gameplay underneath?!

I think most people just can't get past Sega's current bad rep. I mean, SA1 was really good, SA2 got more praise than it deserved. Sonic Heroes wasn't bad gameplay wise, but had a horrible story and dialogue "Look at all those Eggman's robots!" (Tails poor grammar), Shadow looked like crap from the moment he got a gun (never been a Shadow fan anyway), and Sonic 2K6 was a rushed, glitch-filled crapfest that was a spit in the eye of every Sonic fan.

But since then, we've seen a slight upswing. Secret Rings? Not Great, but pretty good IMO a solid 7.5. Then Sonic Unleashed (my favorite 3-D Sonic game), a huge, HUGE leap in the right direction. Now, we got SatBK, a game who's concept scared even the most hardcore Sonic fans, looking very top notch. But because of Sega's past, some jaded, cynical gamers will laud it without ever giving it a chance.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
RobbieNick said:
It's part of the storybook series of Sonic games which means they can do whatever the fuck they want 'cuz it's not technically part of Sonic cannon, and is just and alternate story.
I severly doubt people's worries have anything to do with "Sonic canon"

Why is Sonic the only game character that gamers have decided is not allowed to make any changes to or experiment on his gameplay style?
Because gamers gave Sonic the chance to experiment and Sonic Team failed horribly. Thus people aren't going to put up with anything from Sonic Team until they redeem themselves with an amazing Sonic game, which they seem utterly unable to do. No matter how much you rant about it, a decent game like Sonic Unleashed is not enough to save this decaying franchise. As the old proverb goes "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me." Well Sonic fans have been fooled thousands of times by Sonic Team and are not going to put up with the bullshit. Again, until Sonic redeems himself with an amazing game, no one is going to give Sega any benefit of the doubt.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Death_Born said:
Two words: talking sword.

The Sonic Cycle LIIIVES!

EDIT: Damn, beaten.

No, it doesn't. The Sonic Cycle has to start from hopeful grounds and fall gradually towards the abyss. This seems to work backwards.

Why does Sega think a Sonic game without a gimmick won't sell? If they put shitty new friends in a game, the kids (and other... ahem, diehard fans, we'll call them) will buy it regardless. So why not make the gimmick-less game everyone wants that truly returns Sonic to his roots while also including some shitty friends? I would begrudgingly accept that.

Yazuka

I think its looking pretty nice. I'm more intressted in this right now than I am in Unleashed.
A shame that this is a Wii only game. Otherwise I would have bought it at its release.
So I guess it I'll get this as soon as I have a Wii.

Regulus Tera said:
No, it doesn't. The Sonic Cycle has to start from hopeful grounds and fall gradually towards the abyss. This seems to work backwards.

Can talk about semantics and the 'sonic cycle' all day, but the fact remains is that people are excited for yet another Sonic game that has a horrific chance of turning out to be utter rubbish. It's been this way since the end of the Mega Drive era.

RobbieNick

grandjedi6 said:
Because gamers gave Sonic the chance to experiment and Sonic Team failed horribly. Thus people aren't going to put up with anything from Sonic Team until they redeem themselves with an amazing Sonic game, which they seem utterly unable to do. No matter how much you rant about it, a decent game like Sonic Unleashed is not enough to save this decaying franchise. As the old proverb goes "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me." Well Sonic fans have been fooled thousands of times by Sonic Team and are not going to put up with the bullshit. Again, until Sonic redeems himself with an amazing game, no one is going to give Sega any benefit of the doubt.

Sonic Unleashed IS an amazing game. Have YOU played it yet?

RobbieNick said:
Please, all of you just STFU.

Have any of you haters even played Sonic Unleashed? It is the best Sonic 3-D game yet. Instead of it being Sonic and five other friends with alternate gameplay styles that just aren't nearly as fun, we have Sonic and the Werehog. Sonic's 3-D gameplay is the best it's even been, while the Werehog has the best alternate gameplay out of the entire 3-D series. Way better than fishing, shooting in a mech, shooting as a robot, being chased by a robot, or god-awful treasure hunting. It doesn't beat playing as Sonic in day levels, but it's still a lot of fun. It's like Sly Cooper mixed with God of War. How does that not sound like fun?

Now here comes Sonic and the Black Knight. It's part of the storybook series of Sonic games which means they can do whatever the fuck they want 'cuz it's not technically part of Sonic cannon, and is just and alternate story. Sonic with a sword? Sonic as a Werehog? Hey, if it plays good, and is a lot of fun, why not?

And THAT is my main problem with all these jaded, cynical gamers out there? Why is Sonic the only game character that gamers have decided is not allowed to make any changes to or experiment on his gameplay style? It's like someone set out rules that he must go by and never stray from. "Sonic can only run real fast and jump! He's not allowed to do anything else!"

Mario? Sure! Let him do whatever the fuck he pleases! Golf, play soccer, wear a water jet pack, shoot pies out of his ass using the Wii Zapper. Mario can do no wrong COUGH *the suckfest known as the entire Mario Party series*COUGH! What makes Mario so versatile and Sonic not?

Crash? Well, no one gives a shit about Crash anymore so, they just let him do whatever 'cuz no one cares.

If you want to talk about a franchise that experimented, and changed the way it's game played completely? How about Banjo Kazooie?! It's new gameplay features are NOTHING like the old BK games, and yet, it worked! The game's addicting and fun! The same thing happened to Unleashed but no one seems to care. Which sucks cuz Sega really did do a great job this time. Why is it so hard to get past a silly, or unusual concept, and enjoy the gameplay underneath?!

I think most people just can't get past Sega's current bad rep. I mean, SA1 was really good, SA2 got more praise than it deserved. Sonic Heroes wasn't bad gameplay wise, but had a horrible story and dialogue "Look at all those Eggman's robots!" (Tails poor grammar), Shadow looked like crap from the moment he got a gun (never been a Shadow fan anyway), and Sonic 2K6 was a rushed, glitch-filled crapfest that was a spit in the eye of every Sonic fan.

But since then, we've seen a slight upswing. Secret Rings? Not Great, but pretty good IMO a solid 7.5. Then Sonic Unleashed (my favorite 3-D Sonic game), a huge, HUGE leap in the right direction. Now, we got SatBK, a game who's concept scared even the most hardcore Sonic fans, looking very top notch. But because of Sega's past, some jaded, cynical gamers will laud it without ever giving it a chance.

sx377bo8.jpg

Dever

Banned
It looks alright. I don't really give a crap wether it's a "real Sonic game" or not, I just hope it's a fun game.

batbeg

Looks good. I'm not sure how to feel about the comparisons to Unleashed though, as the gameplay in SatSR revolved around the unique controls, and with those gone, the gameplay I enjoyed from it will be gone. Will have to wait and see on the level design, I suppose.

eve241

Oblivion said:
Because although a low point, EAD was still light years ahead more talented than the current Sonic Team.

More talented? I don't know about that. For me the fact most Sonic games have disappointed is because of the concepts they choose. The want to milk Sonic no matter what. It's tough to make a quality game in such an environment.

Gagaman

Ydahs said:
A little off-topic, but which version do you think is amazing? I'm interested in Unleashed but only have a Wii (for now).
The Wii version is pretty poor, mainly because there is far more werehog levels in it than there is sonic levels, whereas the 360/PS3 is more 50/50, maybe even more sonic than werehog slightly. The level designs are also far more interesting in the HD version, and of course it looks much, much better. Oh and the Wii version has two destinations missing.

sinseers

RSLAEV said:
Looks pretty fun. People need to understand that this is what sonic is now, like it or not when you put a Sonic game in there's going to be some Crush 40 butt rock, and he's going to be doing some goofy shit like saving princesses, swinging swords, racing cars, shooting gats, grinding on rails, what have you.

Of course that doesn't justify Sonic 2006-a bad game is just a bad game...

Wrong on the 40 crush butt rock this time around sir. Sonic Unleashed, dare I say, probably has THE BEST soundtrack of any game churned out this year. Go play it if you don't believe me. Gone is that rock styled BGM replaced by damn near perfectly orchestrated scores. It really makes you want to play through the rest of the game just to hear what else they cooked up. My only hope for Sonic/Bleck Knight is that they are using the EXACT SAME composer that was used for Unleashed. If so, then I am on board with virtually no regrets.

Bizzyb

Banned
I really hope you can sheath the sword. If you have to carry it the entire time that would suck

Graphically, the game looks great. This is good news considering it's still early/mid development. I liked Secret Rings so I'm sure I'll like this one as well. Here's hoping they put more production values into it. The whole "Story book" thing was "meh"

sinseers said:
Wrong on the 40 crush butt rock this time around sir. Sonic Unleashed, dare I say, probably has THE BEST soundtrack of any game churned out this year. Go play it if you don't believe me. Gone is that rock styled BGM replaced by damn near perfectly orchestrated scores. It really makes you want to play through the rest of the game just to hear what else they cooked up. My only hope for Sonic/Bleck Knight is that they are using the EXACT SAME composer that was used for Unleashed. If so, then I am on board with virtually no regrets.
The Crush 40 "butt rock" is back in this game though. They did the title music at least.

sinseers said:

Jun Senoue is probably the main sound director, with Tommy Tallerico joining in, and also possibly Richard Jacques helping out as well.

Honestly, with the exception of a couple of songs, Unleashed's soundtrack didn't click with me, I much preferred the Adventure series and Heroes' soundtracks.

Those soundtracks were what Sonic was about in this age, and with Richard having done 3D Blast and Sonic R before that, this might be the most old-Sonic-like soundtrack since Adventure 1!

Tommy being part of the team is awkward since he supposedly is pretty anti-Nintendo...

... I hope he isn't joining just to sabotage the project... NAH... :/

sinseers

abstract alien said:
I thought secret rings had awesome music, I loved it.

I thought SATSR had decent music overall but that butt rock theme did get annoying fast. You go check out the Unleashed soundtrack and you will probably forget ALL ABOUT the secret rings.

sinseers

Hero of Legend said:
Jun Senoue is probably the main sound director, with Tommy Tallerico joining in, and also possibly Richard Jacques helping out as well.

Honestly, with the exception of a couple of songs, Unleashed's soundtrack didn't click with me, I much preferred the Adventure series and Heroes' soundtracks.

Those soundtracks were what Sonic was about in this age, and with Richard having done 3D Blast and Sonic R before that, this might be the most old-Sonic-like soundtrack since Adventure 1!

Tommy being part of the team is awkward since he supposedly is pretty anti-Nintendo...

... I hope he isn't joining just to sabotage the project... NAH... :/

I absolutely loved SA1 soundtrack. Though may have started with the rock themed Sonic that we know today, I am much happier that Unleashed seemed to go back back to it's roots musically IMO. I literally sat and listened to the village night themes for hours last night.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
The problem with Seven Rings in Hand is taht they used it as a menu music and it's not a good idea to use a track with vocals for menus.

[Nintex]

Fuu said:
The problem with Seven Rings in Hand is taht they used it as a menu music and it's not a good idea to use a track with vocals for menus.
To me the first sentence always sounded like:
"Please at least be fun..."

It looks great, but who at Sonic Team thought it would be a good idea to turn the Secret Rings sequel into a Zelda like game.:lol

sinseers said:
I thought SATSR had decent music overall but that butt rock theme did get annoying fast. You go check out the Unleashed soundtrack and you will probably forget ALL ABOUT the secret rings.
Yeah, I loved the unleashed soundtrack as well. Great stuff...i just wish i actually liked the wii version of the game. Havent tried the 360 version yet though.

Fuu said:
I definitely didnt like it for a menu piece either...it was a terrible choice.

jrricky

Banned
[Nintex] said:
To me the first sentence always sounded like:
"Please at least be fun..."

It looks great, but who at Sonic Team thought it would be a good idea to turn the Secret Rings sequel into a Zelda like game.:lol
.....because this is a 'Sonic in old book stories theme' series. Secret Rings was the first, and there will be more after Black Knight.
sonic under water

This looks crazy awesome.
abstract alien said:
Yeah, I loved the unleashed soundtrack as well. Great stuff...i just wish i actually liked the wii version of the game. Havent tried the 360 version yet though.
whats wrong with the Wii version?

jrricky said:
.....because this is a 'Sonic in old book stories theme' series. Secret Rings was the first, and there will be more after Black Knight.
sonic under water

whats wrong with the Wii version?
Well, I as far as sonic's levels go, they are pretty fun. The werehog stages are a complete catastrophe though, and not just with design, but control as well. To be honest, i dont like how sonic control either when he isnt running, but thats not too big of a problem since you shouldnt be walking with him. It does annoy the hell out of me when i have to walk around in those damn temples though...the control is terrible right here.

I just wish it was structured more like secret rings. Menu based mission selection with less story, no werehog, etc. Sonic's pieces are so fun to play, it just angers me that i have to wade through so much crap to get to them.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Psycho Neko said:
People who think this looks good boggle my mind. This looks horrible.

Graphically and artistically it looks pretty stunning.

Sonic-ally there could be debate. Some people enjoyed Secret Rings and this is the direct sequel to it.

_Alkaline_ said:
That's not hard. :lol

But I agree.

Yeah I know. :lol TP was quite an achievement though and good on game that surpasses it, I say.

shykyoichi said:
It's visually appealing. Though weird to see Sonic wielding a sword and not running.

SonicBlackKnightGIF-RunningGrass01.gif

RobbieNick

Ydahs said:
A little off-topic, but which version do you think is amazing? I'm interested in Unleashed but only have a Wii (for now).

360 version. The Wii one has waaayy too many Werehog levels for some reason. Plus, the Werehog can't grab enemies on the Wii. He can only grab ledges and poles. ("Grab enemies on the Wii" Tee-hee! *Snicker*) This, along with a few other things make the Wii/PS2 version inferior. But hey, if you're still not sure, you can always give it a rental.

abstract alien said:
I thought secret rings had awesome music, I loved it.

Great vocal tracks, almost as excellent as the Triple Threat from Sonic Heroes and even a few of those spotlight vocal tracks in Brawl (Sonic Boom, Super Sonic Racing, His World (which Sonic was this song from?))

NTom64

DedicationThroughLight said:
Great vocal tracks, almost as excellent as the Triple Threat from Sonic Heroes and even a few of those spotlight vocal tracks in Brawl (Sonic Boom, Super Sonic Racing, His World (which Sonic was this song from?))

Zen

Banned
Ydahs said:

The Wii/PS2 version are compromised. Aside from graphics, their Sonic sections are more oriented around the 'quickstep' part of the mechanic it has far less 2D/3D stuff in it and the level designs are much simpler. They have a far greater amount of werehog levels and the controls in general are worse on those versions.

Top Bottom