• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic and the Black Knight Preview , new screens

nightside

PataHikari said:
I swear I will kill the next poster who says "sonic cycle"

watervengeance said:
The game really does look wonderful. Let's just hope that it's not full of Invisible Walls that prevent you from straying out of the main path, which seems to happen in a lot of games.

With that said, I hope this game turns out well.

you edited:lol:lol!!

Teknoman

GrotesqueBeauty said:
The sword thing could go either way in my opinion. If it's just a quick flick of the wrist every now and them to dispatch of oncoming enemies and obstacles without slowing down it could actually be really cool. My fear is that they'll make you stop and waggle through waves of enemies thus killing the momentum of the game, similar to the werehog sections of Unleashed. Thematically I actually don't have any beef with the game. Sure, it's a little cheesy and over the top, but the environments, and even Sonic with his big ass sword, look pretty awesome.

Well with a sword and normal Sonic you'd think the action would be faster. At least I hope they would think that :lol

Death_Born said:
No..they just want money. Hardcore gamers/retro gamers = / = money. Little kids who think hedgehogs doing grown-up things are cool = lots of money.
5qgvrz

Teknoman said:
Well with a sword and normal Sonic you'd think the action would be faster. At least I hope they would think that :lol
I just read the preview beyond my intial skim.
There are issues we’d like to see addressed, mind. For instance, constantly curbing your speed to hack through enemies could make the pace feel a bit stuttery. Why not give Sonic a running attack to keep things moving?
God damn it.

GrotesqueBeauty said:
God damn it.

Every Sonic game has had you slow down at points.

The sign that you're really good at the game is that you can get past these points without said slowing down.

Azure J

PataHikari said:
Every Sonic game has had you slow down at points.

The sign that you're really good at the game is that you can get past these points without said slowing down.

That's the first time anyone's ever perfectly put the skill of a Sonic game in words before.

Also, this game looks amazing. Like really really good graphically.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I'm not concerned so much with the sword gameplay, as much as the whole "townfolk/hub world progression" aspect. If they can get that right, then I know I'll absolutely love the game.

Besides, the attacks look pretty neat:
5b8k5w.jpg

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Endow said:
If Mario can get a water tank why can't Sonic get a sword?

Because although a low point, EAD was still light years ahead more talented than the current Sonic Team.

Teknoman

All I know is that if they put the same amount of work into Black Knight as they did the HD version of Sonic Unleashed, the game will be great.

After Castlevania Judgement I'm sure that Wii is the 'bad ideas that actually turn out decent in the end' machine, well, except Wii Music. HERE'S HOPING

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Linkzg said:
After Castlevania Judgement I'm sure that Wii is the 'bad ideas that actually turn out decent in the end' machine, well, except Wii Music. HERE'S HOPING
and Soul Calibur Legends.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Actually you know, I think this is doing the reverse of the Sonic Cycle. It's first revealed in Nintendo Power, and we all mock it for placing Sonic in a really awkward concept with swords and knights. Now we're at new screenshots and it actually looks pretty decent - in fact, REALLY decent.

...of course, give Sega time and it'll probably go down the flusher.

Speaking of which, what's the general consensus on Sonic Unleashed now that it's out? Any kissing princesses yet?

TreIII

SovanJedi said:
Actually you know, I think this is doing the reverse of the Sonic Cycle. It's first revealed in Nintendo Power, and we all mock it for placing Sonic in a really awkward concept with swords and knights. Now we're at new screenshots and it actually looks pretty decent - in fact, REALLY decent.

I second this. Even the most stalwart of Sonic fansites were ready to crucify Sega for this. But, lo and behold, it actually looks GOOD thus far.

And in any case, my opinions still haven't changed. In the end, I'm still willing to give this game the benefit of the doubt, and hope for the best (or at least, as much can be said for a modern Sonic title).

Because after all, while both ideas are silly, "Sonic with a sword" STILL offends me less than "Sonic the werewolf".

Black Knight is looking and sounding hotter and hotter in each of these previews. I need more info to satisfy my hunger for info. Sonic And the Black Knight will utimately be mine. Ironically, apart from Brawl and the fuddily duddily Wii Sports, the remaing games on my Wii have Sonic in their title.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
DedicationThroughLight said:
Black Knight is looking and sounding hotter and hotter in each of these previews. I need more info to satisfy my hunger for info. Sonic And the Black Knight will utimately be mine. Ironically, apart from Brawl and the fuddily duddily Wii Sports, the remaing games on my Wii have Sonic in their title.
You poor thing.

DedicationThroughLight said:
Theres more than one preview out? 0_o

Have I not been paying attention? (all I know is that NP will have one in it's next issue)

Anyway, looks and sounds great (even with the shitty compressed pics).
15zgqkl.jpg

It gives me hope!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Black-Wind said:
Theres more than one preview out? 0_o

Have I not been paying attention? (all I know is that NP will have one in it's next issue)

I think GamePro had a preview recently.

Haunted said:
http://i38.tinypic.com/15zgqkl.jpg[/IMG

[B]Perfect image to get the Sonic cycle started. [I]Again[/I].[/B][/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=Black-Wind]Anyway, looks and sounds great (even with the shitty compressed pics).

[IMG]http://i38.tinypic.com/15zgqkl.jpg[/IMG

[B]It gives me hope![/B][/QUOTE]

lol

EmCeeGramr said:
Sorry bro, Im in the "I shall kill who every says "Sonic cycle " again " group.

Those Sonic cycle people can't just start a "cycle" at any random point when it looks sweet :lol
BK has been going from hated to loved . . . basically backwards in this cycle and it should end up being atleast as good as SR.

(Oh, and for my post, it gave me hope in relation to one thing I hated about SR. I hated the limited movement in that game. It's like hez brokez free! )

Haunted

Sciz said:
If you completely ignore the sword and NPC, sure. We did the "Sonic flying into green fields and blue sky!" screenshot hype three years ago though, so don't expect the response to be quite as optimistic.
Very true. I mean, at some point, even Sonic fans should have learned tha-
Black-Wind said:

It gives me hope!
Here we goooo!

MarkusRJR

It looks like they changed Sonic's Model. It looks as if they changed it from a Sonic and the Secret Rings' art style to something more like SSBB's.

sonic_071010b-l.jpg

Old Screenshot:

sonic_and_the_black_knight_7.jpg

New Screenshot:

23kdgk6.jpg

Old Screenshot:

sonic_and_the_black_knight_8.jpg

New Screenshot:

i1zmzs.jpg

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
The screenshots look interesting/good but that sword sticks out more than a huge zit on an actresses face.

You have to wonder what the FUCK they are thinking when they do this sort of shit to Sonic. Hell to any established character, what is this? You'll just have to keep wondering that til you play the game. To put it lightly my friends this is effing ODD.

A blue hedgehog with a SWORD, I can't fucking get over this... :lol

Why not just give him new chaos emerald powers? An energy sword of some sort.. That will take the oddness out in a hurry.

Yaceka: In fairness, the discrepancies could be due to the poor compression washing out the color, but I'm inclined to agree with you. It seems they lowered the saturation on Sonic's model, and loosened up his features, not only to match the no-doubt-more-popular Brawl model, but also to keep Sonic from standing out so much in the environment.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Tenbatsu said:
They recycled Twilight Princess environment?:lol

I actually think the grass/field texture looks better than TP. o_0

Rayo said:
Sonic is not Link. Sonic is Goku. Better luck next time Sonic Team.

Sonic Judgement?

What goes up must come down
Yet my games aren't worth a pound
See quality spin upside down
A mighty bomba without a sound
I can feel your every rage
Step aside Gaming Age
Shitty levels feel like a maze
Like a shit we drop our games on you

Watch me rule good games away
Watch me ruin your day
Feel my storm is getting close
Headed your way

Sonic Cycle (Sonic Cycle)
Blind you, confine you, defying your reign
Setting the stage for a shitty parade

I won't even hesitate
A second left to alter fate
And you try to bail but a bit too late
Got you hooked by my own bait

Watch me rule good games away
Watch me ruin your day
Trapped by your own crazy dream and you can't wake

You can bet there ain't no doubt
As the tears spill from the Sonic devout
I can shit up another game
Fool you all the way
Like a cycle

And together we'll fool no matter how
No one can bring our cycle down...

SONIC CYCLE!

Zen

Banned
Jaded Alyx said:
Thing is though, that never once applied to this game.

Don't bother, they're just going to tweak it, and pretend really really hard until they've convinced themselves otherwise. :p

Yaceka said:
It looks like they changed Sonic's Model. It looks as if they changed it from a Sonic and the Secret Rings' art style to something more like SSBB's.
I think thats just pic quality. These new pics look washed out and dinge . . . not as good as the old ones. (reminds me of how dark and dinge sonic looked in some of the not-so-good unleashed Wii pics before we got beatter pics.)

EmCeeGramr said:
Sonic Zeroes
:lol :lol :lol

Anyways, I'm quite pleased with this game thus far. If any weapon makes sense for Sonic (his own spines aside), it's a sword. Swift and precise. The environments look nice as well.

I rather enjoyed the motion controls of Secret Rings, though I'm more than willing to sacrifice them if they're planning on going back to a more traditional control scheme. Besides, they can always return for Sonic's 3rd Storybook game, complete with Motion+ features for enhanced accuracy.

Sciz

Haunted said:
Very true. I mean, at some point, even Sonic fans should have learned tha-
Here we goooo!
Well, some people are just literal diehards. I don't listen to them any more than I do the guys who spend hours on Zelda timeline theory.

Slayer-33 said:
Why not just give him new chaos emerald powers? An energy sword of some sort.. That will take the oddness out in a hurry.
Knuckles and Shadow are playable, so I wouldn't rule it out yet.

Top Bottom