• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cry On (xbox360) is canceled

duckroll

PolyGone said:
I didn't know this was even in development. Wasn't it just a concept?

It's been in "development" for 3 years now. No one knows what state the game was in before it was cancelled, but it's part of the 3 unnamed titles that were canned and written off as a 3 million dollar loss (total for the 3 titles) for AQI in their financials back in October.

harSon

Banned
duckroll said:
It's been in "development" for 3 years now. No one knows what state the game was in before it was cancelled, but it's part of the 3 unnamed titles that were canned and written off as a 3 million dollar loss (total for the 3 titles) for AQI in their financials back in October.

It obviously wasn't far if $3 million is all they lost between 3 titles :lol

The title concept had finite potential. If MSKK thought so too, then maybe they will pick it up. Sensui did express interest as jrpgs being integral to their Japanese market business plans. However I had a suspicion this would happen. AQI is a relatively new start up. Cry On may have been their financially biggest production to date. One they clearly wasn't ready for.

I mentioned earlier this year that they would need a western publishing partner bigger than xseed to market the game in the west. Perhaps a new publisher will pick up the mantle.
Be it MS or mistwalker & cavia/artoon pitch it to another publisher. It came off as having great potential.

duckroll

harSon said:
It obviously wasn't far if $3 million is all they lost between 3 titles :lol

Yeah, that's the main reason why most people didn't think Cry On could have been one of those titles back in October. The budget for Cry On was supposed to be much higher and it didn't match the loss stated. So it appears that Cry On has probably been iced for a while now, and only officially canned this year. It's possible that with the creative designer changes that the game went through, it never really reached a playable state ever.

Revelations said:
The title concept had finite potential. If MSKK thought so too, then maybe they will pick it up. Sensui did express interest as jrpgs being integral to their Japanese market business plans. However I had a suspicion this would happen. AQI is a relatively new start up. Cry On may have been their financially biggest production to date. One they clearly wasn't ready for.

I mentioned earlier this year that they would need a western publishing partner bigger than xseed to market the game in the west. Perhaps a new publisher will pick up the mantle.
Be it MS or mistwalker & cavia/artoon pitch it to another publisher. It came off as having great potential.

You also mentioned earlier this year that you were "sure" MS would be publishing Cry On. Lolz. AQI isn't a relatively new start up, it was originally the holding company for Cavia and Artoon. They were formed just so they could be publically listed as one big group. It's the same people running it. I don't think it's a problem of the lack of publishing experience, I think it's just obvious that they're all useless fuckers. Can you name a single successful AQI game? :p

Sakaguchi already posted on the Mistwalker site that he's sad that Cry On didn't make it to the light of day. He didn't say anything about pitching it to any other publisher, so we can be sure that it's totally dead now. He also stated that they're working on new projects, and that this isn't the end.

Duckroll, have you played Archaic Sealed Heat? Do you know if it's ever going to be released in the west?

I do hope that Mistwalker make another 360 game at some point, but at the moment I'm looking forward to the new BD game and localizations of the DS games that haven't made it here yet. I live in the UK and even US imports are pricey at the moment.

duckroll

Baloonatic said:
Duckroll, have you played Archaic Sealed Heat? Do you know if it's ever going to be released in the west?

I do hope that Mistwalker make another 360 game at some point, but at the moment I'm looking forward to the new BD game and localizations of the DS games that haven't made it here yet. I live in the UK and even US imports are pricey at the moment.

Yeah, I finished ASH. It was rather fun, and I liked a lot of the systems in the game. It wasn't very balanced towards the end as far as strategy RPGs go though. The missions were also really repetitive and there isn't much variety in terms of mission design unfortunately. I have no idea if Nintendo is going to bother releasing it in the US. It seems to be localized, since there's been an ESRB rating for months now, but with no announcement forthcoming, maybe Nintendo of America decided it's not worth releasing. Lol.

I'm a bit dissappointed, I wish MS would pick the studio up.

No reason why BD/LO shouldn't get a 360 sequel, and why handing out a Mistwalker project to a better developer than Cavia or something would result in a rather pleasant suprise for us all.

duckroll said:
Yeah, I finished ASH. It was rather fun, and I liked a lot of the systems in the game. It wasn't very balanced towards the end as far as strategy RPGs go though. The missions were also really repetitive and there isn't much variety in terms of mission design unfortunately. I have no idea if Nintendo is going to bother releasing it in the US. It seems to be localized, since there's been an ESRB rating for months now, but with no announcement forthcoming, maybe Nintendo of America decided it's not worth releasing. Lol.

Ah well, that's a shame. I always thought it looked really interesting. I wish they'd release at least one of their DS games in Europe, though.

duckroll

Hwang Seong-Gyeong said:
I'm a bit dissappointed, I wish MS would pick the studio up.

No reason why BD/LO shouldn't get a 360 sequel, and why handing out a Mistwalker project to a better developer than Cavia or something would result in a rather pleasant suprise for us all.

I think one of the problems that Mistwalker and MS faces is that there aren't really that many (are there even any?) great developers in Japan that are really familiar with 360 hardware. You have Capcom, but they're not going to work on a game they're not publishing themselves. There's tri-Ace, but I doubt they'll work on a game that they're not designing themselves. Etc. No one really expected Artoon to really do a great job of Blue Dragon, but they did. So there's no reason to believe that Cavia couldn't have done the same given the right motivation and management on the project. There could be a bunch of reasons why Cry On got canned, and I don't think we'll ever know the truth.

duckroll

It's a pretty sad state of affairs. Sakaguchi can no longer afford to buy coke from the machine, so he's just imagining it now. :(

What does it say?

Basically the new game (the one hes been talking about) is halfway through development and is coming along well.

Hes sad cry on is no longer because he liked the idea alot. :(

Also, it says the new game is a big project and hes working hard (120% effort) to challenge himself and to make something really 'new'..

harSon

Banned
duckroll said:
I think one of the problems that Mistwalker and MS faces is that there aren't really that many (are there even any?) great developers in Japan that are really familiar with 360 hardware. You have Capcom, but they're not going to work on a game they're not publishing themselves. There's tri-Ace, but I doubt they'll work on a game that they're not designing themselves. Etc. No one really expected Artoon to really do a great job of Blue Dragon, but they did. So there's no reason to believe that Cavia couldn't have done the same given the right motivation and management on the project. There could be a bunch of reasons why Cry On got canned, and I don't think we'll ever know the truth.

I wasn't all that surprised at Blue Dragon, Blinx wasn't exactly a technical mess. They're decent technically but lack solid direction which Mistwalker was able to give.

abacab driver said:
Basically the new game (the one hes been talking about) is halfway through development and is coming along well.

Also, it says the new game is a big project and hes working hard (120% effort) to challenge himself and to make something really 'new'..

Hope it's for the 360 :D

abacab driver said:

Cool, thanks a lot. Hope it turns out well and I'm looking forward to hearing about the concept and what platform it will appear on. Guess it will be revealed later this year.

duckroll

Baloonatic said:
Cool, thanks a lot. Hope it turns out well and I'm looking forward to hearing about the concept and what platform it will appear on. Guess it will be revealed later this year.

Sorry, I don't think they're announcing anything within the next 2 days. :(

duckroll said:
Sorry, I don't think they're announcing anything within the next 2 days. :(

xD I'm a few days ahead of myself. The days between Christmas and New Years always feel like a weird limbo to me :lol

Hopefully if it's 50% complete, it's a 360 title that they'll unviel this E3 or something release in 09!

EDIT: Wasn't Vesperia unvieled and released the same year?

duckroll

Hwang Seong-Gyeong said:
Hopefully if it's 50% complete, it's a 360 title that they'll unviel this E3 or something release in 09!

EDIT: Wasn't Vesperia unvieled and released the same year?

The first ToV trailer was released at Jump Festa on Dec 07. The game was released in Japan in Aug 08.

harSon said:
Hope it's for the 360 :D
Hwang Seong-Gyeong said:
No, hopefully it's on as many systems as possible so the increased sales can keep Mistwalker alive. Too many smaller studios are closing these days.

Top Bottom