• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cry On (xbox360) is canceled

madhtr

ZephyrFate said:
Well, now Cavia can focus on Drakengard 3. :)
I wish, but if this were true, they would have started working on it back when they were originally taken off the game, since Artoon had taken over development. They'll probably just keep making Naruto games :/

Sad to hear (because I would have liked to see the idea come to fruition), but I'm sure Gooch and MW did the right thing, and are working on something better for us.

Nolan.

duckroll said:
Oh okay. I thought you meant that there was some evidence that MS and Mistwalker are still working well together. I agree that NNN2 is a "good sign" if only because it shows that MS Japan has more money than brains.

To be fair though if I remember correctly (and i'm open to being wrong) N3 charted somewhere at no.6. Or at least in the top 10 in the N/a charts. Maybe they made back more than they spent on the game at least so a sequel probably isn't costing them that much. I'm hoping there is at least another Blue dragon game in the works that isn't a Ds game. Or lost odyssey i'd settle for just something rpg based from them.

Lebron

makingmusic476 said:
Yeah, but the entire reason MS funded Mistwalker was to help make headway in Japan. Tales did and Star Ocean will do this far better than anything from Mistwalker.
yeah, you're right. Like you said, MW essentially got MS's foot in the door in some ways, and now they have three of the biggest JRPG franchises out there on the system(SO, Tales, FF). Still, I hope they don't leave them out in the dry cold. If NNN can get a sequel, then surely at least Lost Odyssey can get a green light. Two different genres, yes, but I'm just saying.

Also, so what the hell was Sakaguchi talking about in his latest update on his blog? Could have sworn it was about Cry-On, but now that clearly wasn't the case....unless it was! :eek:
http://www.mistwalkercorp.com/en/column_eng/pg94.html
Right now, I’m making a game and I’m going through quite a bit of trial and error. My main objective will be to not be embarrassed in calling it the ‘next gen’ RPG. While characters, maps and other essentials are developed in parallel, the game system is tweaked daily. It’s been going on for a year. Feels like it never ends…but there should be a solution ahead. I’m starting to see it a bit. Finally.

madhtr said:
I wish, but if this were true, they would have started working on it back when they were originally taken off the game, since Artoon had taken over development. They'll probably just keep making Naruto games :/
THERE IS STILL A POSSIBILITY. Drakengard 2 left WAY too big of an ambiguous ending to not be finished with a darker, prettier Drakengard 3.

I mean, hell, D3 would at least play better than Lair.

As much as I hate it I'm not too surprised. After every single one of their DS games bombed maybe they didn't have the finances to support it or if they were getting funded the funder started lacking faith?

2lwst2h.jpg

What do you know, Mistwalker succeeded in making 360 fans cry with this game and they didn't even need to put the effort into making it. Possibly the best dollar-for-dollar return on investment in gaming history.

madhtr

ZephyrFate said:
THERE IS STILL A POSSIBILITY. Drakengard 2 left WAY too big of an ambiguous ending to not be finished with a darker, prettier Drakengard 3.

I love the Drakengard series, so I would love if Square Enix decided they wanted another, I just don't see it happening.

I can't recall the last title that I wanted as much as this one despite having precious few concrete details about.

Either way, it's still a shame.

ZephyrFate said:

If this is the criteria you go for, there are a hell of a lot of Square-Enix properties that need sequels
Vagrant Story
and Drakengard should get to the back of the line, which Final Fantasy VII apparently snuck to the front of when nobody was looking.

USD

The art was awesome, but at this point, I would have been absolutely surprised to real gaming media pop up. This game has been on my vaporware list for ages.

duckroll

badcrumble said:
If this is the criteria you go for, there are a hell of a lot of Square-Enix properties that need sequels
Vagrant Story
and Drakengard should get to the back of the line, which Final Fantasy VII apparently snuck to the front of when nobody was looking.

We can no longer be friends. :(

Barakov

badcrumble said:
Vagrant Story

Drakengard is totally understandable. But Vagrant Story....... OH YOU BASTARD.

duckroll said:
We can no longer be friends. :(
Hey, FFX-2 and Crisis Core are two totally unnecessary games which I like quite a bit. And I remain firm in my position that VS really needs a followup even though it tied up 90% of the loose tends. I'm sorry if you're upset that I dissed Drakengard though :( I'm just saying that there are other things that should get sequels first.

I'd probably be partial to a Vagrant Story prequel(especially if you got to play as Mullenkamp).

Shame Matsuno and Sakimoto are out doing something...whatever it is.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
This and the news that Uematsu's next project is an anime and not a game doesn't bode well for Mistwalker IMO.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-10-07/final-fantasy-games-uematsu-to-score-guin-saga-anime

Anime News Network said:
The main staff of the anime adaptation of Kaoru Kurimoto's Guin Saga fantasy adventure novels has been revealed, including director Atsushi Wakabayashi and musical composer Nobuo Uematsu — the man most famous around the world for the Final Fantasy games. Guin Saga is the first anime for which Uematsu was directly in charge of composing the soundtrack; even the anime adaptations of his game projects such as Final Fantasy and Blue Dragon were composed by others. First-time director Wakabayashi created designs for The Twelve Kingdoms and Yu Yu Hakusho and oversaw the animation in Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex and Naruto. Series script supervisor Shoji Yonemura previously wrote scripts for Berserk and Death Note, and the Satelight studio, which recently finished the Macross Frontier television series, will animate the project.

Kurimoto has written 123 volumes about the fantasy adventures of a leopard-masked hero partially inspired by Conan the Barbarian, and over 29 million copies have been published so far. Vertical is releasing both the original novels and Hajime Sawada's manga adaptation in North America.

Cat in the Hat said:
Just waiting on the press release now, its tragic. They had so much potential.

They're part way through making another Blue Dragon game, it's not like they're completely dead yet.

badcrumble said:
Vagrant Story
The style of Vagrant Story definitely needs to be translated into the next-gen. However, Drakengard 3 should definitely be made before any FF7 sequel. Hell, a dragon flying over a field, including the Blood Memory artwork and hints of a continuing plot are far more interesting than watching Sephiroth's hair be rustled by the breeze with his back to a city in flames.

duckroll

badcrumble said:
Hey, FFX-2 and Crisis Core are two totally unnecessary games which I like quite a bit. And I remain firm in my position that VS really needs a followup even though it tied up 90% of the loose tends. I'm sorry if you're upset that I dissed Drakengard though :( I'm just saying that there are other things that should get sequels first.

I don't know why people think I give a fuck about Drakengard. :lol

Vagrant Story dies with Matsuno! No one else will touch it!

segarr

May be a bit off topic, but does anyone remember that one RPG thats supposed to be based off of a daylight/nighttime system? I think it was supposed to be PS360, I just can't remember the name of it.

I have a question thats probably off-topic, was Final Fantasy Crysis Core made from some BS story Square/Nomura made, or was it from Yoshinori Kitase ,Kazushige Nojima, or Hironobu Sakaguchi story.

duckroll

Shadowlink123 said:
I have a question thats probably off-topic, was Final Fantasy Crysis Core made from some BS story Square/Nomura made, or was it from Yoshinori Kitase ,Kazushige Nojima, or Hironobu Sakaguchi story.

What? Crisis Core was written by Nojima. But so was Advent Children, so that doesn't really mean much. :lol

bloke

I come back from xmas vacation and this is what awaits me, booo....

Ah, anyway, my bet is that Sakaguchi's working on new 360 RPG with Kusunoki and Artoon (thought they took over Cry On development from Cavia some time ago?).

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
I have confidence that Mistwalker at least has one more 360 game in them before the end of this generation. Or maybe it's just my hopes and dreams telling me that.

Gomu Gomu

What is a guin saga anime ?
bummer, I was hoping that Cry On 's theme & isea would be perfect foe Uematsu's music.
oh well.

harSon

Banned
Top Bottom