• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cry On (xbox360) is canceled

DMeisterJ

Banned
Saw this coming.

I'm sure MS could have kept this game alive, but with SE under MS' thumb
checkbook
, and with ToV, SO4 and FFXIII, which will all probably be tons better critically and commercially better received than LO and BD were, and with MS trimming the fat of studios like Ensemble, I couldn't see any more reason MS would have for Mistwalker anymore.

I don't think we'll be seeing a BD2 or LO2.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
grandjedi6 said:
Why won't people understand this scene is supposed to be awkward and horrible? There are other scenes in the same damn game that are TRULY voiced poorly.

"Let's pick on this scene that focuses on the awkwardness of awkward laughter!!!"

I know you can't really believe this when you post it. Is it a horribly awkward and overdone scene? Yes. Is it supposed to be? Isn't that incredibly obvious?

It's not a great scene. Yuna is still doing the lip-syncing with the Japanese model and Tidus' mannerisms are still Japanese, which do not necessarily fit with the tone that James did the scene. But if you don't understand what you're watching at by the hilarious camera pan to the rest of the crew, you have to not know what's going on.

Y2Kev said:
Why won't people understand this scene is supposed to be awkward and horrible? There are other scenes in the same damn game that are TRULY voiced poorly.

"Let's pick on this scene that focuses on the awkwardness of awkward laughter!!!"

I know you can't really believe this when you post it. Is it a horribly awkward and overdone scene? Yes. Is it supposed to be? Isn't that incredibly obvious?

Indeed, I'd like to hear how other people sound when they're forcing themselves to laugh.

Durante

Y2Kev said:
Exactly. I've pointed this out 3 or 4 times when that scene was presented as an example of bad VA. I've practically given up now -- people don't want to give up their memes, especially the stupid ones. I guess most regurgitating it don't know the context of the scene.

Durante said:
Exactly. I've pointed this out 3 or 4 times when that scene was presented as an example of bad VA. I've practically given up now -- people don't want to give up their memes, especially the stupid ones. I guess most regurgitating it don't know the context of the scene.
Just force yourself to laugh and everything will be fine. I'll help you.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Durante

I guess you could make a point that the frequency with which this (supposed to be awkward) scene is used as an example of awkwardness is a testament to its quality acting :lol

DMeisterJ said:
Saw this coming.

checkbook
, and with ToV, SO4 and FFXIII, which will all probably be tons better critically and commercially better received than LO and BD were, and with MS trimming the fat of studios like Ensemble, I couldn't see any more reason MS would have for Mistwalker anymore.

ToV sold better than LO? In what world did that happen?

IIRC, both of Mistwalkers projects have been the best selling HD JRPGs this gen. Not saying much of course, but still.

So, IMO, if MS had anything to do with not saving the game, then it would be to fund development of BD2 or LO2. More likely LO2, given the sales and the marketing push it received the first go-round.

So, yeah.

ThirdEye said:
lol. Why did Microsoft pull the plug?

They didn't. It has nothing to do with MS. If anything, they would want to have Gooch working on one of their games, like BD or LO. That is, if they are still supporting him.

I hope they are.

harSon

Banned
DMeisterJ said:
Saw this coming.

checkbook

Microsoft had absolutely nothing to do with Cry On, it was a joint project between Mistwalker and AQ Interactive. I repeat, Microsoft had absolutely nothing to do with Cry On's development or cancellation.

I'm guessing the development was in hiatus and was completely canceled once Blue Dragon PLUS and Away completely bombed.

jett

D-Member
Y2Kev said:
It's better than the Japanese CAW CAW CAW CAW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAgVjH9V9Ps

What do you know, it actually has proper lip synching. We wait 6 months+ for their translation, and those lazy mofos can't even do that for the english version. This better change with FFXIII.

edit In a perfect world they'd also replace the japanese motion actors. :p Goddamn do I hate their exaggerated mannerisms.

near

Gold Member
Stumpokapow said:
Just started Away: Shuffle Dungeon. 2 hours in. Seems to be a very cute, fun game with some great ideas. It's a shame Mistwalker never really transcended to that top level studio people thought it might.

They're the studio I hoped they'd be. The potential is there, BD and LO are imo quality products, and Microsoft did a good job where marketing was concerned. It's just that Gooch seems to have a thing for the shitfest of AQ Interactive for some reason, and thats a problem. So in a sense I'm glad Cry On is no more, they should just work with Microsoft from now on or take their ideas to better publishers. New BD with Namco is good start.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
jett said:
What do you know, it actually has proper lip synching. We wait 6 months+ for their translation, and those lazy mofos can't even do that for the english version. This better change with FFXIII.

edit In a perfect world they'd also replace the japanese motion actors. :p Goddamn do I hate their exaggerated mannerisms.
Of course it has proper lip syncing. It was synced to the Japanese actors and the English VA tried to fit into the Japanese lip sync.

Lebron

DMeisterJ said:
Saw this coming.

checkbook
, and with ToV, SO4 and FFXIII, which will all probably be tons better critically and commercially better received than LO and BD were
Outside of FFXIII, I doubt SO4 will sale as well as Lost Odyssey did. ToV sure as hell didn't.

fernoca

Love how a thread/something, that had nothing to do with Microsoft (except that the game was going to be released on their console)..yet, for some reason Microsoft sucks.

jett

D-Member
Y2Kev said:
Of course it has proper lip syncing. It was synced to the Japanese actors and the English VA tried to fit into the Japanese lip sync.

Guess I just thought it was "gibberish lip synching", like MGS2. :p

UraMallas

Damn it. Not the best news this morning. I hope the MS/Mistwalker is still strong and it sounds like some in here think it will be. NNN2 is still coming, after all.

duckroll

UraMallas said:
Damn it. Not the best news this morning. I hope the MS/Mistwalker is still strong and it sounds like some in here think it will be. NNN2 is still coming, after all.

What the fuck does NNN2 have to do with Mistwalker? :lol

"Cry On"?
kidfreakingoutyr5.gif

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
duckroll said:
What the fuck does NNN2 have to do with Mistwalker? :lol

If they are willing to fund that (Which I loved the game btw) they better damn be willing to fund BD2 and LO2.

Yeah I know they are probably more expensive to produce but still!

:p

duckroll

Emenis said:
If they are willing to fund that (Which I loved the game btw) they better damn be willing to fund BD2 and LO2.

Yeah I know they are probably more expensive to produce but still!

:p

Oh okay. I thought you meant that there was some evidence that MS and Mistwalker are still working well together. I agree that NNN2 is a "good sign" if only because it shows that MS Japan has more money than brains.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Y2Kev said:

It's not a great scene. Yuna is still doing the lip-syncing with the Japanese model and Tidus' mannerisms are still Japanese, which do not necessarily fit with the tone that James did the scene. But if you don't understand what you're watching at by the hilarious camera pan to the rest of the crew, you have to not know what's going on.
Yeah and Sonic kissing Elise was done on purpose too! Just because something is intentional doesn't omitt it from criticism. The scene was cringe worthy, stupid and poorly acted. Yes, as people have pointed out, there are even worse acted scenes in FFX. But that doesn't change how crappy the laughing scene is.

sciplore said:
Man this is terrible to know especially on this somewhat normal day that is suppose to be christmas.
First my dad says I didn't need to wake up at 7 am because he's going to postpone everything until noon, and now this. ;_;

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Gilgamesh said:
Breaking: Mistwalker game "Cry On" cancelled, posthumously renamed "Cry Moar"
Really...One of the worst names ever. Just second to "Infinite Undiscovery". A game named "Cry On" was destined to end up like this.

LCfiner

the last I heard about this game, they had just changed the artstyle around. new concept art and, i think, lead artist had been put in place.

It must have been pretty early in production when it got cancelled.

I hope we get another big RPG from Mistwalker. I liked both LO and BD.

Teknoman

Come on Mistwalker...dont die! I pull away from christmas stuff to see whats up...and I get this. Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey were great as old school RPGs with great soundtracks and current gen graphics...something we wont see all that often unless Atlus finally moves SMT series to current gen systems.

They need to make a kick ass SRPG or another action RPG to replace this.

Lebron said:
Outside of FFXIII, I doubt SO4 will sale as well as Lost Odyssey did. ToV sure as hell didn't.
Yeah, but the entire reason MS funded Mistwalker was to help make headway in Japan. Tales did and Star Ocean will do this far better than anything from Mistwalker.

Given the cost of development these days, Blue Dragon most likely did not make a profit, and Lost Odyssey probably didn't make much of one. There really is little reason for MS to keep these guys around. Hell, they recently axed the studio behind their second biggest franchise after Halo (that is also currently working on Halo, coincidentally). Ensemble Studios had sold well over 20 million units of their Age of Empires series (if that number doesn't include Mythology, then you can add in another few million), and look at them now. Same goes for FASA, the guys behind MechWarrior 4 Vengeance/Mercenaries, MechCommander 1/2, and Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge.

Top Bottom