• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cry On (xbox360) is canceled

Diablos

Never really was anything beyond a title.

Mistwalker didn't get any love this gen, so I can't say I'm too surprised. But I was looking forward to this game regardless.

Blue Dragon got entirely way too much hate, and Lost Odyssey alone wasn't enough to push them over the top despite it having western potential.

New companies/studios/etc. don't get enough time to evolve, I swear.

Aaron

PepsimanVsJoe said:
And here I was hoping against hope that Drakengard 2 wasn't a fluke and Cavia is capable of delivering a good game when they put forth the effort.

But dammit things just aren't going to work out that way. Now I've got to worry about them even being capable of putting out a game.
Their Ghost in the Shell game is still the greatest thing they've done. Awesome game. Pity they haven't come close to topping it.

Barakov

For Fucks Sake. Guch just make up with Square and bring balance to the force. IT'S CHRISTMAS FOR CRYING OUT LOUD.

duckroll said:
Cry On always was an AQ Interactive game. It was never published or funded by MS in any form or way. It was announced 3 years ago in December by AQ Interactive has a huge big budget collaboration with Mistwalker, and would have been an action RPG game with adventure elements and a graphics engine that would be able to render toon-shaded graphics of Ghibli movie quality. 3 years later, it's now obvious that Cavia simply couldn't deliver the goods.

Good thing I read this first. I was gonna comment that after Microsoft got FFXIII, they dropped Sakaguchi like a rock. Nevertheless, it still sucks that the game wont get made.

Diablos

Shadowlink123 said:
Why did he leave square anyways?
You just opened up a can of worms.

Gooch needs to do SOMETHING. Mistwalker doesn't seem to be working out for him too well despite them having, in my opinion, two quality games under their belt (BD and LO).

I think the biggest problem with Mistwalker is that Microsoft was so up in the butt of everything that it kind of went against them in Japan. They would have been much better off releasing stuff for PS3 over in Japan.

Aaron

Diablos said:
I think the biggest problem with Mistwalker is that Microsoft was so up in the butt of everything that it kind of went against them in Japan. They would have been much better off releasing stuff for Wii and DS over in Japan.
Fixed for what's obvious to even Square by now.

Diablos

Aaron said:
Fixed for what's obvious to even Square by now.
Obviously. But given the fact that they released stuff for 360 tells me what kind of direction they wanted the company to go in. Taking that into consideration, they should have went with PS3 in Japan.

Wii slaughtered everything, yes, but hindsight is 50/50, plus maybe Gooch didn't want waggle in his RPG's :p Who knows. But the sure thing is that in Japan it's typically always safer to go with a Japanese console. :p

Rpgmonkey

Of LO, BD, and CO, this sounded like the most original and interesting one... :(

The lack of appearances makes this less of a shock though.

segarr

Diablos said:
I think the biggest problem with Mistwalker is that Microsoft was so up in the butt of everything that it kind of went against them in Japan. They would have been much better off releasing stuff for PS3 over in Japan.

Their problem is that they are making JRPG's that are being reviewed as good but not great, for a console whose fanbase would not support such a game if it is not grade A quality.

Sucks but honestly, I was very excited when I heard about their support of 360 but their games haven't been anything special yet and I feel as though I can speak for a lot of 360 owners when I say that I won't buy a JRPG unless it is absolutely stellar.

Diablos

segarr said:
Their problem is that they are making JRPG's that are being reviewed as good but not great, for a console whose fanbase would not support such a game if it is not grade A quality.

Sucks but honestly, I was very excited when I heard about their support of 360 but their games haven't been anything special yet and I feel as though I can speak for a lot of 360 owners when I say that I won't buy a JRPG unless it is absolutely stellar.
That attitude makes me scratch my head. Would you play a WRPG that's below absolutely stellar? Probably.

And the west was totally unkind to Mistwalker. I read a review that basically compared Lost Odyssey to Mass Effect, and docked points from Lost Odyssey because it wasn't as innovative (to their pea-sized brains). Why the hell they even thought it to be valid to make such a stupid comparison is beyond me. They're two completely different kinds of games. That's like docking points from PGR4 because it's not like GTA4.

But that's a pure example of how the JRPG is getting shat on this gen. I don't like it at all. WRPG's are fine, but the west for some reason is kicking Japanese RPG's while they're down this gen, and it's wrong.

CiSTM

Banned
Game sounded interesting but then again it was Mistwalker project so I don't think we lost anything special here. Still this gen could use some good JRPGs.

Quazar

CiSTM said:
Game sounded interesting but then again it was Mistwalker project so I don't think we lost anything special here. Still this gen could use some good JRPGs.

We saw your original post above:

CiSTM said:
It looked very interesting game but then again it was made by Mistwalker so I wasn't expecting anything good from it. But still kinda lame, because this generaion needs some awesome JRPGs.

CiSTM said:
It looked very interesting game but then again it was made by Mistwalker so I wasn't expecting anything good from it. But still kinda lame, because this generaion needs some awesome JRPGs.

CiSTM said:

*scratches head*

Uh....double-post?

Aaron

Diablos said:
Obviously. But given the fact that they released stuff for 360 tells me what kind of direction they wanted the company to go in. Taking that into consideration, they should have went with PS3 in Japan.
The problem is the only PS3 games selling well in Japan are pure fanboy bait. Neither BD or LO are console moving games, so I doubt they would have done better on the PS3, especially when they wouldn't have MS footing the bill.

Mistwalker's DS games haven't done well so far, but they also pretty much sucked.

Diablos

Define selling "well". They probably would have at least sold better on PS3 simply because of the bigger userbase.

Diablos said:
You just opened up a can of worms.

Gooch needs to do SOMETHING. Mistwalker doesn't seem to be working out for him too well despite them having, in my opinion, two quality games under their belt (BD and LO).

I guess I did but I want to know why he left Square, did he ever say why?

Diablos said:
Define selling "well". They probably would have at least sold better on PS3 simply because of the bigger userbase.

Probably better in Japan, but less better in Europe and far worst in USA (just remember PS3 user base when the games released).

Consider also that Mistwalker have been founded with MS money and that on 360 they have been able to develop easier.

All in all I don't think they made a mistake working on 360, simply the market doesn't want their products or don't want products far from the usual brands.

They released, as far as I know, three DS titles: ASH, AWAY, Blue Dragon +.
None made good sales.

Sales and product value don't always go side by side.

segarr

Diablos said:
That attitude makes me scratch my head. Would you play a WRPG that's below absolutely stellar? Probably.

To be honest, I probably wouldn't. I put a lot of time into the WRPG's that I play, I'm probably close to 50 hours into Fallout 3, and I can easily see myself putting in another 50 before I'm finished with the game completely (Well actually, I might just finish the main quest and stop this time around, since Bethesda placed a 20 level limit on characters, and I have a pretty long back catelogue, but for Morrowind/Oblivion I put in over 100 for each easily).

I don't know of many big, open world WRPG's that are really "sub-par" however, I'm guessing that these games are so difficult to tackle that only a top developer would really attempt them anyways, leaving the genre with a high hit percentage (On consoles at least).

I see what you're getting at though. Would I buy a sub-par shooter, or sub-par adventure game? Hell yes. But I only play on putting in 15-20 hours at most for these types of games, and these are genre's that I really enjoy.

And the west was totally unkind to Mistwalker. I read a review that basically compared Lost Odyssey to Mass Effect, and docked points from Lost Odyssey because it wasn't as innovative (to their pea-sized brains). Why the hell they even thought it to be valid to make such a stupid comparison is beyond me. They're two completely different kinds of games. That's like docking points from PGR4 because it's not like GTA4.

But that's a pure example of how the JRPG is getting shat on this gen. I don't like it at all. WRPG's are fine, but the west for some reason is kicking Japanese RPG's while they're down this gen, and it's wrong.

I think that a lot of the things that people ate up last gen in regards to JRPG's are viewed a lot more critically these days. There is still problems with localization in these games, and to be honest, I feel like the art direction that a lot of JRPG's take is wearing thin as well.

I can't sit through loads of poorly directed cutscenes, childish looking characters, bad voice acting, and turn based fighting unless the game is polished as hell with charm out of its ears. Just can't do it. I'm a little worried about how SO4 is going to do, I'm predicting not so well. I think that FF13 is going to have this genre's future in the west on it's shoulders.

JDSN

Banned
I figured this was canceled when Duckroll said it was vaporware and the publisher didnt release new media of it five seconds later. Oh well.

Aaron

segarr said:
I can't sit through loads of poorly directed cutscenes, childish looking characters, bad voice acting, and turn based fighting unless the game is polished as hell with charm out of its ears. Just can't do it. I'm a little worried about how SO4 is going to do, I'm predicting not so well. I think that FF13 is going to have this genre's future in the west on it's shoulders.
The only one of these that's true for LO is turn based fighting, and what else were you expecting there? I'll say it right now that FF13 won't be able to match LO for its cut-scenes of compelling characters. So much was poured into the direction of those things that it makes all the efforts before it look like the work of a fanboy in his parent's basement with a old copy of 3d studio max.

Hwang Seong-Gyeong said:
If MS doesn't finance their next project, I suspect they'll just go belly up. Doubt anyone else is going to rush to give them money.
With Tales of Vesperia just released and Star Ocean on the way, I don't think Microsoft needs them anymore.

Looking at Microsoft's attitude towards 1st/2nd party development, I think it's very likely that MS dropped them after even Blue Dragon on DS bombed. They weren't making money, and they weren't doing anything to help Microsoft (at least nothing that Tales and Star Ocean wouldn't do 10x better).

madhtr

PepsimanVsJoe said:
And here I was hoping against hope that Drakengard 2 wasn't a fluke and Cavia is capable of delivering a good game when they put forth the effort.

But dammit things just aren't going to work out that way. Now I've got to worry about them even being capable of putting out a game.
Hmmm, I could have sworn that Cavia stopped being the developer on the game, replaced by Artoon, shortly into its development, though I guess it doesn't really matter now. Too bad, I guess.

well, all they made was an FF wannabe and a DQ wannabe. This seemed like the only game game they actually wanted to make. but i guess cry on.

icecream

Public Health Threat
Before trying out LO this was the one out of the three I was most excited about.

Say it ain't over, Gooch! Say you got something other than BD derivatives left in you!

madhtr said:
Hmmm, I could have sworn that Cavia stopped being the developer on the game, replaced by Artoon, shortly into its development, though I guess it doesn't really matter now. Too bad, I guess.

Ah yes I remember reading something about that(Which would make sense since both Artoon and Cavia are under the AQ Interactive umbrella).
Damn shame either way.

Awntawn

Aaron said:
The only one of these that's true for LO is turn based fighting, and what else were you expecting there? I'll say it right now that FF13 won't be able to match LO for its cut-scenes of compelling characters. So much was poured into the direction of those things that it makes all the efforts before it look like the work of a fanboy in his parent's basement with a old copy of 3d studio max.
I'm trying to think of the nicest way possible to put this.

.......................................... lol?

Boulayman

Aaron said:

Say what ? I believe you are overreacting to the Cry on news, I mean you picked the wrong game to compare LO with... I mean are you seriously thinking that FF XIII cutscenes will be like the work of a fanboy in his parent's basement with a old copy of 3d studio max compared to LO?

batbeg

I didn't like Lost Odyssey or Blue Dragon to be honest, but was looking forward to this a fair deal :( Oh well, hopefully Mistwalker aren't dead on the console base.

JDSN said:
I figured this was canceled when Duckroll said it was vaporware and the publisher didnt release new media of it five seconds later. Oh well.

:lol

ZeroGravity said:
Apply directly to the tear ducts.

Aaron said:

Aaron

Boulayman said:
Say what ? I believe you are overreacting to the Cry on news, I mean you picked the wrong game to compare LO with... I mean are you seriously thinking that FF XIII cutscenes will be like the work of a fanboy in his parent's basement with a old copy of 3d studio max compared to LO?
No no no, you misunderstand, or maybe I wasn't saying it clearly. I mean compared to the cut-scenes of last generation RPGs, LO's works are far beyond anything that's been produced. The very subtle animations, the camera work, the careful use of music... done in real time and superior to the pre-rendered scenes in past RPGs. FF13 will be much better than what's come before, but I'm not convinced they'll be crafted with the same care. What I've seen so far, which admittedly isn't much of the final, is too focused on spectacle to have any sense of subtlety.

This is coming from someone who hated Lost Oddessy overall.

Aaron said:
No no no, you misunderstand, or maybe I wasn't saying it clearly. I mean compared to the cut-scenes of last generation RPGs, LO's works are far beyond anything that's been produced. The very subtle animations, the camera work, the careful use of music... done in real time and superior to the pre-rendered scenes in past RPGs. FF13 will be much better than what's come before, but I'm not convinced they'll be crafted with the same care. What I've seen so far, which admittedly isn't much of the final, is too focused on spectacle to have any sense of subtlety.

Well, at least it makes a bit more sense now, but I still disagree. I didn't notice any enormous improvement by LO over genre standards.

Honestly the more I look into it the more I realize how doomed Cry-on was.

I mean really when their last couple games were Bullet Witch and Vampire Rain it's kind of hard to imagine them being capable of anything remotely close to what Cry-On was going to accomplish(or attempt to anyway)

I'm really not sure how this reflects poorly on Mistwalker either.

batbeg

Aaron said:

Maybe it's just me, but the shitty split screen bullshit was enough to make me disregard the camera work altogether. Maybe that was too harsh of a judgment though, and I didn't bother playing past the first disc.

I could agree with some of the other things from what I played though, but that's more of a statement about how terrible JRPGs with those things than anything :lol

Zyzyxxz

Maybe if they decided to develop for PS3 I'd care but whatever.

If they wanted to cater to western audiences then how about getting rid of turn based combat. Thats the reason I don't play JRPG's as I feel they are outdated and my tastes have changed.

Top Bottom