• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Finally a wii channel for "gamers *japan-only*

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Not familiar with the telephone? Don't like talking aloud? Or to other people? Your Nintendo Wii is here to help. Starting next Spring, the "Food Delivery Channel" kicks off in Japan.

The new channel will utilize the Demae-can.com online food ordering service. Wii owners will be able to order pizza, sushi, Chinese food, Japanese food, Western food, curry, etc. When you select one of those choices, a music selection that matches the food's mood will play on the Channel.

food_order_channel.jpg

If you do not know what you want to eat, there is a roulette mode that picks your meal at random. The quickest that your order will arrive is 30 minutes. De-licious.

http://kotaku.com/5118197/order-food-through-your-nintendo-wii
http://plusd.itmedia.co.jp/games/articles/0812/26/news078.html

Hope we`ll get the channel also....sounds cool :D

NotWii

Banned
Chances are slim it'll happen outside of Japan unless there's some good online food delivery services that work across all of America/Canada and Europe/etc.

Wii said:
Chances are slim it'll happen outside of Japan unless there's some good online food delivery services that work across all of America/Canada and Europe/etc.
I mean, it might have to be scaled down, but surely this could work with Domino's or... uh, Domino's. Ok, maybe this is a bad idea.

cw_sasuke

Nuclear Muffin said:
This, Japan has loads of exclusive Wii channels now (And exclusive Wii Ware/VC/Wii Disc/DS/DSi Games :( )

Yeah Japan is getting 2 movie channel, a karaoke channel for joysound, a new manga channel next year for wii and dsi etc. ...and we ?

lostzenfound

Campusfood might be the largest scale food delivery service I know of in the US but it has some obvious location limits. Still awesome though.

"/pizza" the boy growled into the Wii Speak microphone on top of his TV.
"Oh what have I done!?" cried the boys mother, looking in at her son balancing on the wii fit board with a guitar controller around his neck, wildly flailing his arms about yelling for pizza.
"(laughs)" said voice from an undisclosed Kyoto office building.

NotWii

Banned
Kobun Heat said:
I mean, it might have to be scaled down, but surely this could work with Domino's or... uh, Domino's. Ok, maybe this is a bad idea.
Ya, that's what I mean, it can work, but it wouldn't be diverse like the Demae-can.com service offers.
And I don't really see NOA/NOE being able to setup and co-ordinate a service like that.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
cw_sasuke said:
Yeah Japan is getting 2 movie channel, a karaoke channel for joysound, a new manga channel next year for wii and dsi etc. ...and we ?
Console manufacturer offers more services in their home region.

I am shocked. SHOCKED, I tell you.

cw_sasuke

cjelly said:

You should be.

cjelly said:

It does reflect how split the regions of Nintendo are: Microsoft and Sony have differences between regions, but they at least try and unify their online experiences.

Though, the biggest lack of thought is from every company except Hudson, who are doing Joysound karaoke. Whine all you like about how karaoke isn't a game, but the service of having any song available, small subscription fee... if equivalents to Joysound were licensed for US/UK/EU, it could be a big, and easy, moneymaker.

cjelly said:

After buying 2 million of these silly things last month I can't help but wonder why nobody has thrown us a bone lately.

"Hey thanks for helping us become the most successful system of this generation by a staggering margin, now here's jackshit."

shuri

Banned
PepsimanVsJoe said:
After buying 2 million of these silly things last month I can't help but wonder why nobody has thrown us a bone lately.

"Hey thanks for helping us become the most successful system of this generation by a staggering margin, now here's jackshit."
Nintendo-logo-741774.jpg

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
This is another clever move. Nintendo is slowly but surely transforming its gaming machine into a digital hub providing all kinds of services. This is Microsoft and Sony's dream, BUT Nintendo is surprisingly leading the pack in terms of new services proposed through a console.

marc^o^ said:
This is another clever move. Nintendo is slowly but surely transforming its gaming machine into a digital hub providing all kinds of services. This is Microsoft and Sony's dream, BUT Nintendo is surprisingly leading the pack in terms of new services proposed through a console.
Nothing that you really can't do on a PC, but Nintendo channels are innovative, as the Mii Channel, Everybody Votes Channel, this Food Channel now...

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
marc^o^ said:

It is interesting how Nintendo is definitely trying to position the Wii in Japan as the central hub of the home.

cw_sasuke said:
I know, it fucking sucks. Japan is Nintendo's weakest market to boot.

schuelma

titiklabingapat said:
I know, it fucking sucks. Japan is Nintendo's weakest market to boot.

Maybe that's why Nintendo Japan is making so much of an effort- Reggie can afford to be lazy at the moment.

HUELEN10

OMG
OMG
OMG
OMG
OMG
OMG
OMG
OMG
OMG
OMG
OMG
OMG
OMG

I would SOOOOOOOOO use something like this. Make it in the USA with Papa Johns and Domino's Ninty, I beseech you.

schuelma said:
Maybe that's why Nintendo Japan is making so much of an effort- Reggie can afford to be lazy at the moment.
I don't think it's that, so much as it is the fact that Japan is just such a completely unique market. Making something like this happen in America, I imagine, would cost a lot more, be a lot harder to pull off, and wouldn't be nearly as useful.

TJ Spyke

Kobun Heat said:
I don't think it's that, so much as it is the fact that Japan is just such a completely unique market. Making something like this happen in America, I imagine, would cost a lot more, be a lot harder to pull off, and wouldn't be nearly as useful.

That's also why they won't release the Television Friend Channel (they said it's because most people already have set-top boxes with a program guide, but not everyone does and it would be fun to have this Nintendo-fied version).

Yazus

Oh my god this is soo crazy :lol :lol only Nintendo could have trow this things on gaming.

I still cant belive my eyes :lol

Però la Pizza la sappiamo fare bene solo noi Italiani!

schuelma said:
It is interesting how Nintendo is definitely trying to position the Wii in Japan as the central hub of the home.
But at the same time, it's got to be a minuscule percentage who actually regularly use the news and weather channels.

Kagami

Don't like talking aloud? Or to other people?
Pretty much.
My food ordering these days is limited entirely to delivery places with online ordering.

Now if only they could get robot delivery drivers, I wouldn't have to talk to a human at all.
Or maybe one of those pneumatic tube systems like they use at bank drive-throughs.
I'm right across the street from Pizza Hut, can't be that hard to set up.

schuelma

Kobun Heat said:

I'll be honest-I'm just bitter about NOA's lack of localization's lately.

swerve

Awesome new channel. Will use.

JonathanEx said:
It does reflect how split the regions of Nintendo are: Microsoft and Sony have differences between regions, but they at least try and unify their online experiences.

Actually, this is incorrect. Trying to unify their online experiences causes them and their users uncertainty and frustration.

I spend the majority of my time living in Japan, and yet often spend time in the UK. Having a games system which still thinks it's in Japan even if it's not is one of the greatest gifts Nintendo have given this gen.

My DSi will always access the J-store. My Wii will always access the J-store. Anything I can get inside Japan, I can get outside. Even Karaoke Joysound Wii subscriptions. No licensing worries. I pay in Japan, and I download from Japan.

My 360? Not so much. 'This content can't be downloaded from your current location' is the bane of my LIVE existence. As for PS3, my Euro account allowed me to download Towers of Topoq, but for no apparent reason it just doesn't work on my Japanese PS3.

So, having a system which is always, 100% tied to its region of origin has many strong plus points. The blurred lines of the region-free machines, which still need to manage different content licenses etc, make for a much less pleasing or predictable consumer experience.

JonathanEx said:
But at the same time, it's got to be a minuscule percentage who actually regularly use the news and weather channels.

Though I'm not disputing it's got to be a small percentage, I think you'd be surprised of the number. Even a small percentage of 40 million+ is pretty good going.

I mean, it's got to be appealing to some, because Life With PlayStation.

basik

papa johns already has online delivery in my area, I can just use the internet channel to order with my credit card if I wanted to. I'd guess this new channel is easier to use and faster to order though, and more food variety.

basik said:
papa johns already has online delivery in my area, I can just use the internet channel to order with my credit card if I wanted to. I'd guess this new channel is easier to use and faster to order though, and more food variety.

you can do that with most wii channels....

wii channels are intended for people without internet knowledge... old people and that

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I'm sure there's a joke about emptying the fridge in order to download this channel but I'm too lazy to figure it out.

freddy

Banned
Kagami said:
Pretty much.
My food ordering these days is limited entirely to delivery places with online ordering.

Now if only they could get robot delivery drivers, I wouldn't have to talk to a human at all.
Or maybe one of those pneumatic tube systems like they use at bank drive-throughs.
I'm right across the street from Pizza Hut, can't be that hard to set up.

:O\

Top Bottom