• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 6: Final Destination confirmed for not fun

Call it a hunch, but I don't think Reggie's the one actually planning these conferences and the material that goes in them.
He is the President of NoA. His job is to help Iwata understand the western market. He gives input, and I doubt he said a word against the presentation. This is the man who said Animal Crossing was a game for the core gamer.

Pac-Man seems to get a lot of flak from people on forums (particularly younger ones), but he IS a third party character, and it seems like E3 is a perfect place for that (just like with Snake).
That said, E3 is all about the game press, right? And a lot of the game press are people that grew up with Pac-Man being one of gaming's icons. He would be a good reveal.
I am 29, and I have played my fair share of plexiglass cabinets featuring the yellow muncher. I just never found his games to be amazing. They were like Space Invaders or Duck Hunt. Fun? Absolutely. But not formative. Nowhere near Megaman or Mario.

Tyeforce

To be honest Mii will be the E3 reveal and y'all know it
I really believe that this will be the case, along with Pac-Man, and possibly a third newcomer as well. Everything's just lining up perfectly.

Last E3, two characters were revealed in the E3 Nintendo Direct; one (Villager) from a series that had its latest localized installment (Animal Crossing: New Leaf) releasing during the same week as E3, and a third-party character (Mega Man). Additionally, a third, completely unexpected newcomer (Wii Fit Trainer) was revealed later on in the day.

Fast forward to this year's E3. Yet again, we have another localized game release during the week of E3—Tomodachi Life. And what does Tomodachi Life star? That's right, Mii characters! And it would make sense to have a second third-party character reveal along with Mii, too, and who better than Pac-Man? They're both from the original Gematsu rumor as well. They're the last two character that have yet to be revealed from that supposed leak, in fact. On top of that, we could maybe get a third, unexpected newcomer à la Wii Fit Trainer. Maybe a Rhythm Heaven character like Chorus Kids/Marshall (from the second Gematsu rumor)?

It makes too much sense!

Berordn

He is the President of NoA. His job is to help Iwata understand the western market. He gives input, and I doubt he said a word against the presentation. This is the man who said Animal Crossing was a game for the core gamer.

They have a whole PR department. Reggie's job probably has little overlap with that, and he's just throwing out soundbytes they give him.

Besides, Animal Crossing demands a lot from players in terms of time investment, that is kind of a "core" attribute.

DaBoss

DK's Up Special is now slanted when used on the ground. GIF is slowed down when it hits Mega Man.
i9Mspy88ZAcU2.gif

And that's not all, it is now a multi-hit move that seems to have no knockback. Look at Mega Man not flinching or sent flying at all.

Also, I think it is safe to say fr the 3DS version that all the UI stuff like damage is going to be on the bottom screen except for time. I wonder how it looks. and if it can be customized.
Someone was discussing this before, maybe GamExplain? But the white trail seems to be an indicator of hitstun. The colored trail is for guaranteed KOs. You see DDD & Mega for sure not being KO'd there, they recover from hitstun at the end, so that's why they don't have a colored trail.

At the end, in the little circle, you can kind of see that Villager still has a trail, meaning he hasn't recovered from hitstun yet, probably because he was at a higher percentage, which is why he was launched farther than the others.

Edit: Nevermind, smoke trail is for hitstun, I see what you mean with the white trail before that. That is odd.
Just a little correction, the thing that indicates a "guaranteed KO" is a red-black lightning effect that appears when the characters are hit.

I really believe that this will be the case, along with Pac-Man, and possibly a third newcomer as well. Everything's just lining up perfectly.

Last E3, two characters were revealed in the E3 Nintendo Direct; one (Villager) from a series that had its latest localized installment (Animal Crossing: New Leaf) releasing during the same week as E3, and a third-party character (Mega Man). Additionally, a third, completely unexpected newcomer (Wii Fit Trainer) was revealed later on in the day.

Fast forward to this year's E3. Yet again, we have another localized game release during the week of E3—Tomodachi Life. And what does Tomodachi Life star? That's right, Mii characters! And it would make sense to have a second third-party character reveal along with Mii, too, and who better than Pac-Man? They're both from the original Gematsu rumor as well. They're the last two character that have yet to be revealed from that supposed leak, in fact. On top of that, we could maybe get a third, unexpected newcomer à la Wii Fit Trainer. Maybe a Rhythm Heaven character like Chorus Kids/Marshall (from the second Gematsu rumor)?

It makes too much sense!
That is a convincing argument.

I still think Mewtwo would be an E3 reveal.
Mewtwo is best left as a secret character.

matm666

Regarding Xenoblade, I haven't played the game. Is Shulk like an actual good character or is it he's just the protagonist so he should get first dibs but everybody hates/is meh on him (which is the vibe I get for Chrom which is also from a game I haven't played)? Does he have an interesting personality? Interesting moveset possibilities?

More than his personality I want him becasue the movset possibilities, the sword can freeze time and see the next move of your enemies (no sure how that'd work in Smash) also the music in Xenoblade is great and the stage could be something really cool.

botty

Banned
DaBoss, do you know why Megaman isn't flinching, but has his dash interrupted? Also, it looks like the attack also interrupts his blaster shot, except for the very last hit.

DK's Up Special is now slanted when used on the ground.
i9Mspy88ZAcU2.gif

And that's not all, it is now a multi-hit move that seems to have no knockback. Look at Mega Man not flinching or sent flying at all.

Also, I think it is safe to say fr the 3DS version that all the UI stuff like damage is going to be on the bottom screen except for time. I wonder how it looks. and if it can be customized.
Okay, I don't think that makes any sense. I'm beginning to wonder if some of the "no knockback" moves - like Mega Man's pellets used on Bowser, for instance, aren't just odd little glitches since the game is still a work in progress. Especially since in that clip the Up-B interrupts Mega Man's dash attack and looks awkward as hell for it.

I can't imagine why they would nerf DK's grounded Up-B, especially when they're giving it a new animation that makes it look more powerful.

DaBoss

DaBoss, do you know why Megaman isn't flinching, but has his dash interrupted? Also, it looks like the attack also interrupts his blaster shot, except for the very last hit.
I think Mega Man is stopping on his own there lol.

And DK gets stopped by Mega Man's pellet. Yea, that clip is all kinds of weird.

So the order of events is:
- Mega Man dashes
- DK uses Up Special
- Mega Man's dash gets stopped and gets hit by DK's Up Special
- Mega Man eventually uses his Mega Buster and shoots a pellet
- That pellet hits DK
- DK moves right of Mega Man
- Mega Man gets hit by the green shell

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
Sharla is held back by being mega bad in combat. Closest thing to dead weight in the game. You just don't need a dedicated healer. I am a huge fan of Melia. Her elemental attacks are fun to juggle. I play her as a tank. :)
Sharla is the bomb. I used Shulk, her, and Reyn for literally 75% of the game, and loved it.

You can't kill that which never dies.

-

To anyone wanting to get into the Advanced Wars series, I would recommend Dual Strike. It has most of the content of the GBA games, but it also has a ton of cool extra stuff, a great campaign, cool characters, an excellent soundtrack, and incredible replabability. I have played the campaign tons of times, and I've played the Survival modes countless times.

GamerJM

Banned
Sakurai is teasing them too hard to be secret. Ridley is the biggest fan pleaser reveal that can be made right now. He is the right choice for E3. It is all about the hype. No one wants a fucking Mii in the game. I don't know if folks are actually interested in Pac-man. He is a nobody to me.

I agree that Mii and Pac-Man wouldn't be that hype but I also think that NoA doesn't have a very good idea of how the public perceives them and their characters.

Also, I sort of want Mii in, though I don't want to go into this with you since it'll just be treading territory you've already debated with other users. I agree with Pac-Man though, I really don't give a shit about him.

Also, Sakuari teasing Ridley/Palutena makes me think he'll leave them to be secret. If they were actually in the game I feel like he'd just actually announce it already.

Regarding Xenoblade, I haven't played the game. Is Shulk like an actual good character or is it he's just the protagonist so he should get first dibs but everybody hates/is meh on him (which is the vibe I get for Chrom which is also from a game I haven't played)? Does he have an interesting personality? Interesting moveset possibilities?
He's not badly written, but he is kind of milquetoast in comparison to the others, who have more of a personality than he does. However, he gets bonus points for being the guy who gets the game's iconic weapon, the Monado, and that weapon is what opens up some very interesting possibilities for Smash - either in the form of time-based gimmicks, or a buff-based character. I find he's quite fun to play as, as such.

Sharla is held back by being mega bad in combat. Closest thing to dead weight in the game. You just don't need a dedicated healer. I am a huge fan of Melia. Her elemental attacks are fun to juggle. I play her as a tank. :)
I have to disagree with the Sharla comment; she's been a fairly valuable asset to my team during many a tough battle, where the enemy practically siphons all my health away while I'm trying to whack it to death first. I probably wouldn't PLAY as her, though, because practically all of her Arts (or at least, the ones I have assigned to her) are healing- or status-buff-related, and I find Xenoblade's combat much more interesting when I have attack Arts to call out (whether that's instantaneous, like Shulk's, or summoned for later instantaneous use, like Melia's).

Okay, I don't think that makes any sense. I'm beginning to wonder if some of the "no knockback" moves - like Mega Man's pellets used on Bowser, for instance, aren't just odd little glitches since the game is still a work in progress. Especially since in that clip the Up-B interrupts Mega Man's dash attack and looks awkward as hell for it.

I can't imagine why they would nerf DK's grounded Up-B, especially when they're giving it a new animation that makes it look more powerful.

I don't understand either. Maybe Mega Man's pellets could be like Fox's laser, but what would be the point of DK's up-special when they can smash you out of it?

justchris

Just a little correction, the thing that indicates a "guaranteed KO" is a red-black lightning effect that appears when the characters are hit.

Yeah, I know, but in a lot of the videos, the color trails happen when someone is actually KOed off the screen, to indicate who got the kill. I didn't think they were triggered upon attacking, just the red-black lightning effect.

I would think that it may just be the animation of Megaman receiving damage wasn't implemented in at the time of the video. As said before me, Mega just standing with a stoic expression there looks awkward (o_ o)

I still maintain the position that we already have been shown secret characters, and that there might not even be unlockable characters this time around.

I agree that Mii and Pac-Man wouldn't be that hype but I also think that NoA doesn't have a very good idea of how the public perceives them and their characters.

NoA might not, but Sakurai does. You can see just by the teasing, the details in his game, the trolling, etc. that he clearly is aware and fond of his fanbase. That he clearly likes giving them things to speculate and discuss and see how they react.
Sakurai does an amazing PR. He knows exactly how to push the right buttons on all of us. That's why so much stuff is ambiguous.

I would think that it may just be the animation of Megaman receiving damage wasn't implemented in at the time of the video. As said before me, Mega just standing with a stoic expression there looks awkward (o_ o)

His hit animation is based on the look of his NES sprite.

DaBoss

Jesus, that comparison really shows how big Palutena's Temple is.

I feel they shouldn't even have that top-left portion of the stage there. It could have been a stage of its own as well lol.
Yeah, I know, but in a lot of the videos, the color trails happen when someone is actually KOed off the screen, to indicate who got the kill. I didn't think they were triggered upon attacking, just the red-black lightning effect.
Ahh, okay. The colored trails when the characters get hit is a new thing to Smash 4 and the color indicates which player made the attack to send the character flying.

What I think is that the colored trails that appear when a character is sent flying will only appear when there is a strong hit that sends a character in a straight line.

Palutena's temple looks awesome, can't wait to play it

But lol, given how large it is, you might be able to squeeze both New Pork City AND Temple in there

I think it's a matter of usable space. It actually looks like they're similarly sized, but Palutena's Temple has a lot more "free" space, while on Temple, a huge chunk is occupied by the mountain the stage is carved into, particularly to the right side. So where there was this huge wall, there now is the green grassy platforms.

I think it's a matter of usable space. It actually looks like they're similarly sized, but Palutena's Temple has a lot more "free" space, while on Temple, a huge chunk is occupied by the mountain the stage is carved into, particularly to the right side. So where there was this huge wall, there now is the green grassy platforms.

Could be; either way the playable area looks to be far bigger in Palutena's Temple. Which has me both excited and mildly concerned lol

Nickle

Shulk is kind of like Harry Potter. He's the main character of the story, and everyone likes him, but he's a generic hero who is surrounded by more interesting characters.

georly

DK's Up Special is now slanted when used on the ground. GIF is slowed down when it hits Mega Man.
i9Mspy88ZAcU2.gif

I feel like a lot of attacks just cause absolutely no flinching. Didn't see it in developer direct, so maybe it's a new balance thing.

Spinluck

i9Mspy88ZAcU2.gif

Hmm, perhaps it does knockback on startup?

Strange tweak if it sticks.

GamerJM

Banned
NoA might not, but Sakurai does. You can see just by the teasing, the details in his game, the trolling, etc. that he clearly is aware and fond of his fanbase. That he clearly likes giving them things to speculate and discuss and see how they react.
Sakurai does an amazing PR. He knows exactly how to push the right buttons on all of us. That's why so much stuff is ambiguous.

Idk, I'm still not convinced that they're not E3 potential. Maybe Sakurai would expect his E3 reveal to be less of a big deal than NoA makes it out to be? I mean, remember last year when they said that the Wii Fit Trainer in Smash was the "one big reveal that they still have left," on Spike's E3 coverage or something.

So like

we don't give a shit about any of this 'slot' nonsense here right

Welcome to SmashGAF!
jk
No, this was discussed a long time ago and the general (and I'd say correct) consensus was that there are no such things. Sakurai does not "weigh" out game series and assign characters accordingly

L Thammy

My buddy's been complaining about the idea of Mii in Smash. I don't think it's so bad, unless you have an irrational hatred of Miis. They've done a lot of things by now and can easy come up with moves that are genuinely cool.

They've used bows, spears, and swords. They've used a variety of magic spells and weird guns. They've piloted spaceships to blast away space pirates. They've done kung fu while wearing Pikmin suits. Oh, and there's Wii Sports too.

(This post was a reply to something I saw on the last page, but it just looks out of place now.)

Nickle

I can easily see two assholes immediately running to the upper left and lower right corners so that nobody can see anything for the rest of the match.

Top Bottom