• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 6: Final Destination confirmed for not fun

Anyone else wondering why Dedede no longer throws Waddle Dees?

To nerf and buff Dedede. The Waddle Dee's could be annoying and wall out projectile characters and also had an annoying habit of having a gordo pop out because RNG says.

It's a buff also though, because it seems like they gordos will be better damage dealers than waddle dees, though less so than Brawl.

So what's the consensus on NFC figurines and Smash Bros 4?

My theory is the Wii U is releasing this winter so they can also implement NFC collectibles that somehow tie into the game and serve as the main differentiator between Wii U and 3DS.

That said, I have no idea how the NFC integration would work from a gameplay standpoint.

I hope they don't do that. My wallet couldn't handle it. Nor would the wife lol.

Neiteio

So what's the consensus on NFC figurines and Smash Bros 4?

My theory is the Wii U is releasing this winter so they can also implement NFC collectibles that somehow tie into the game and serve as the main differentiator between Wii U and 3DS.

That said, I have no idea how the NFC integration would work from a gameplay standpoint.
NFC figurines are how custom movesets will work.

Want to play as Mario with the huge fireball? Buy the figurine!

RiggyRob

I didn't know much about Advance Wars until the recent GBA release on the Virtual Console. One trip to the wiki and maaaaaaaaaan…. now I really want some Advance Wars characters. Really hope we get at least one.

The popular opinion is that Lin could replace Snake should he not return, but Days of Ruin bombed so there's not a great chance of that happening.

Otherwise, Advance Wars only got an Assist Trophy (and even then it was generic infantry and tanks) so there's no hope of e.g. Andy making it in as playable, maaaaybe as an Assist Trophy if we're lucky.

NFC figurines are how custom movesets will work.

Want to play as Mario with the huge fireball? Buy the figurine!

That is a terrible idea, and you should feel bad for suggesting that.

The popular opinion is that Lin could replace Snake should he not return, but Days of Ruin bombed so there's not a great chance of that happening.

Otherwise, Advance Wars only got an Assist Trophy (and even then it was generic infantry and tanks) so there's no hope of e.g. Andy making it in as playable, maaaaybe as an Assist Trophy if we're lucky.

According to who, shunxsato?

But I want Sami!

Village

I don't see how the Wii U release date would affect the 3DS one. Wouldn't it make more sense that they finish the handheld one much earlier?

Character and stages, get as much in before summer is over.

Then work on wii u content.

That said, I have no idea how this development is going, so all this could be meaningless.
They could just have lied to us and delay it to fall, I dunno man.

RiggyRob

But I want Sami!

It's been nearly a decade since Dual Strike, the last game Sami was in (not counting the Virtual Console re-release). It's also been 6 years since Days of Ruin (not counting the Japan only eShop Club Nintendo reward). I think with Fire Emblem becoming a higher priority, Advance Wars has kinda fallen by the wayside.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Character and stages, get as much in before summer is over.

Then work on wii u content.

That said, I have no idea how this development is going, so all this could be meaningless.
They could just have lied to us and delay it to fall, I dunno man.

That's what I'm thinking. I really hope that they would do good job with the development. Less Character Cut please!

It's been nearly a decade since Dual Strike, the last game Sami was in (not counting the Virtual Console re-release). It's also been 6 years since Days of Ruin (not counting the Japan only eShop Club Nintendo reward). I think with Fire Emblem becoming a higher priority, Advance Wars has kinda fallen by the wayside.

4 Fire Emblem reps #believe

We got Advance Wars on the VC first!

GamerJM

Banned

Kind of going on a tangent here but it really feels like Intelligent System's development cycle has slowed. From 2001-2004 they released two Advance Wars games, three Fire Emblem games (going by Japanese release dates), and Paper Mario tTYD. From 2011 up until now all they've Pushmo and Crashmo (smaller e-Shop games), Sticker Star, and Awakening. Which isn't bad by any means but it's just nowhere near as good as it was a decade ago. Though I'm guessing they're helping with the development of various other things, like the hardware applications.

Linkyn

Why?

The wii U version is coming out in winter, possibly 2015

That stuff is coming out barely before its fall.

I think the split release is more a question of having a big game ready for the holiday sales / not having the 2 versions eat away at each other's sales. As such, I see the 3DS release date as early rather than the Wii U one as late. Many people would have argued that late October - mid November seems most likely for that one, anyway. Also, the fact that the 3DS game will be out of the way come August / September implies that they'll have even more people ready to make sure they won't have to delay the Wii U version.

RiggyRob

So, you think we'll still get a general Nintendo Direct?
Possibly - April 25th is my bet.

Kind of going on a tangent here but it really feels like Intelligent System's development cycle has slowed. From 2001-2004 they released two Advance Wars games, three Fire Emblem games (going by Japanese release dates), and Paper Mario tTYD. From 2011 up until now all they've Pushmo and Crashmo (smaller e-Shop games), Sticker Star, and Awakening. Which isn't bad by any means but it's just nowhere near as good as it was a decade ago. Though I'm guessing they're helping with the development of various other things, like the hardware applications.

It's been 2 years since Awakening was released in Japan, which must mean we're due for an Advance Wars announcement at E3
BELIEEEEEVE

well, development takes much longer these days for one

Anth0ny

winter sounds like early next year to me

has nintendo ever announced a "winter" release date before and the game actually ended up coming out in December?

RiggyRob

winter sounds like early next year to me

has nintendo ever announced a "winter" release date before and the game actually ended up coming out in December?

There's an example somewhere in this thread, can't remember what it was though: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=107486504

Nirolak was pointing out that unless there was an example like you said, the thread title should've been Wii U version: 21st December to 19th March.

Edit: I think it was this post: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=107483300&postcount=325, although that may have been debunked later.

I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo did consider Winter 2014 and Holiday 2014 to be the same.
Please please please let them be the same.

DaBoss

I'm gonna post some individual stuff about characters or stuff since this thread is nearly done and don't really feel they should be grouped together.

I think Peach's Side Smash only uses a tennis racket now.
i7cBKDYorMbKp.gif

ibxXXdayGWX75i.jpg

She only uses one hand in both of these. Of course, there is the possibility that the tennis racket now has a unique animation. I just think it is more likely that she only uses a tennis racket now.

In Brawl, she would use both hands for everything.

So what does everyone else think?

Mario Tennis > Mario Golf

You can also see Peach's dress split at the front during the animation of the attack cause clothing physics.

ffdgh

I'm gonna post some individual stuff about characters or stuff since this thread is nearly done and don't really feel they should be grouped together.

I think Peach's Side Smash only uses a tennis racket now.
i7cBKDYorMbKp.gif

ibxXXdayGWX75i.jpg

She only uses one hand in both of these. Of course, there is the possibility that the tennis racket now has a unique animation. I just think it is more likely that she only uses a tennis racket now.

In Brawl, she would use both hands for everything.

So what does everyone else think?

Mario Tennis > Mario Golf

You can also see Peach's dress split at the front during the animation of the attack cause clothing physics.

I hope the racket isn't her only side smash unless sakurai removes that hard to get sweet spot and buffed it. Golf club 4 life.

also....
New running animation.
dash attack has a magical effect now.
Second jump is now an actual second jump again.

I'm actually glad that they're working on removing all the random aspects from the character movesets. I do wonder what that means for Peach's turnips and G&W's hammer tho.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I don't see why people kept doubting the annual things. I know it might be first time that they would skipped on bimonthly direct but who know.

DaBoss

I hope the racket isn't her only side smash unless sakurai removes that hard to get sweet spot and buffed it. Golf club 4 life.

also....
New running animation.
dash attack has a magical effect now.
Second jump is now an actual second jump again.
Wow, you must have mained Peach a lot to notice all of that. She was the character that appeared the least out of all other characters. Maybe tied with Sonic. But Sonic was at least doing stuff every time he appeared.

EDIT: Yea, I just saw the second jump. Looks much bigger than Brawl's lousy second jump.
EDIT2: Just saw the magical effects.
EDIT3: She doesn't seem to be holding dress when she runs now?

ffdgh

Wow, you must have mained Peach a lot to notice all of that. She was the character that appeared the least out of all other characters. Maybe tied with Sonic. But Sonic was at least doing stuff every time he appeared.

Guilty as charged lol.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
I'm actually glad that they're working on removing all the random aspects from the character movesets. I do wonder what that means for Peach's turnips and G&W's hammer tho.
Me to. It week be good for the competitive scene and for For Glory mode. I think they have added so many items and stage hazards so that they can keep the party game fun and random, while still making the competitive game more precise and skill based.

GamerJM

Banned
I personally don't have faith in a bimonthly direct, but it's certainly a possibility.

In all honesty, I'm not sure if I even want one. The Smash direct and Mario Kart news was hype enough for me. Part of me would rather them save everything they've got until E3 with a big blowout of information.

I personally don't have faith in a bimonthly direct, but it's certainly a possibility.

In all honesty, I'm not sure if I even want one. The Smash direct and Mario Kart news was hype enough for me. Part of me would rather them save everything they've got until E3 with a big blowout of information.

Once MK 8 comes out I'll probably stop looking at the Pics of the Day and just focus on MK8. That big Direct for me is enough to hold me over till the game releases.

I think an "actual" Direct for April would be nice, even if we might not get any Smash news (tho I hope we would). There's 2 more months between now and E3. I'd enjoy if they put out some smaller news/release dates for games we know are coming in that Direct.

Also, if they're going to show Zelda Wii U at E3
and maybe a teaser or trailer for a new Metroid, pls Nintendo
, I imagine a Zelda-related newcomer or something
like a Ridley reveal
to happen there.

Top Bottom