• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 6: Final Destination confirmed for not fun

I hope the racket isn't her only side smash unless sakurai removes that hard to get sweet spot and buffed it. Golf club 4 life.

also....
New running animation.
dash attack has a magical effect now.
Second jump is now an actual second jump again.

Man, you really are a Peach main! :p

I'm actually glad that they're working on removing all the random aspects from the character movesets. I do wonder what that means for Peach's turnips and G&W's hammer tho.

I never knew Peach had more than 1 turnip until yesterday. It would seem better for her and the king, but I think Mr. Game & Watch's hammer should remain the same.

Once MK 8 comes out I'll probably stop looking at the Pics of the Day and just focus on MK8. That big Direct for me is enough to hold me over till the game releases.

Even feasts can only satiate hunger for so long. Come E3, I don't think anyone will be safe from the hypetrain =p

DaBoss

So this falls under the random tidbit category.

They have the P2 icon there to indicate that Mario got the last hit on the Yellow Devil, but when the characters get sent flying they have white trails instead of blue. Nothing significant, just something I found odd. I thought they would have blue trails.
-----------------------------------------
I imagine they would have more than one newcomer at E3.

Anteo

They have the P2 icon there to indicate that Mario got the last hit on the Yellow Devil, but when the characters get sent flying they have white trails instead of blue. Nothing significant, just something I found odd. I thought they would have blue trails.

Is that Yellow Devil on the FD version of the stage? So FD versions still have bosses?

I didn't know much about Advance Wars until the recent GBA release on the Virtual Console. One trip to the wiki and maaaaaaaaaan…. now I really want some Advance Wars characters. Really hope we get at least one.

Oooh, ooh! Like I did with Ganondorf, let me use this opportunity to promote Andy as a playable character and how I feel like Smash could really capture the essence of Advance Wars!

ANDY

BfzY8HX.jpg

Advance Wars is a series about tactics and strategy, utilizing units of various types and strengths across a map. I feel like a character representing the series should capture that gameplay aspect in their moveset.

With that in mind, I think Andy is probably the most familiar face to represent Advance Wars. Being somewhat of a younger person and having his iconic wrench also makes him an ideal character to explain why the Advance Wars rep is using wind-up mechanical toy soldiers in their moveset.

Toy Soldiers?

Ng5Bck1.jpg

Yes, you'll notice all of Andy's moves use toy soldiers. This is a way to represent the various Advance Wars units in a way that makes sense in Smash; they're smaller, disposable, and not autonomous. Like ZSS's whip and boots or DeDeDe's mechanical hammer, this can be a Smash-specific "explanation" for Andy's moveset that still builds on his character a bit ("Andy likes building and playing with his miniature units to practice his strategies for the battlefield!").

All of Andy's B moves result in persistent units that can receive damage and even be destroyed. They will each have a max "health" of three (represented by the number of units that appear) and passively recover health over time. Andy himself will be somewhat weak and instead relies on strategic deployment and use of his units around the field.

Neutral Special: Infantry

FPzV6TU.gif

Infantry units immediately appear surrounding Andy and will fire several rounds in a circle around him, dealing a light amount of damage. They can act as a pseudo-shield by absorbing some hits before dying and can act as a damaging buffer between Andy and his opponents. Their damage and hit stun will increase with their health.

Side Special: Recon

NhD9F72.gif

Recon units will immediately shoot forward, driving to the end of the current platform all while firing weak bullets in the space immediately ahead of them. Enemies will be pushed back a bit as the recon units perform their drive-by. They will despawn at the end of the platform. How much damage they deal and how far back enemies are "carried" by their fire depends on the health of the recon units.

Down Special: Artillery

bZJFyEW.gif

Deploys artillery units at Andy's current location and facing his current direction. When Andy next uses this move, the artillery units will fire shells in an arc in their facing direction. After a cooldown period, they can fire again. Holding Down Special will redeploy them at Andy's current location. The number of shells fired will depend on the health of the artillery units.

Up Special: Battle Copter

hSWyJdz.gif

Battle copters will spawn immediately above Andy, staggered so that each extra battle copter appears a little bit higher than the previous one. After a short time, each battle copter will fire a small horizontal missile. If used in the air, Andy will hang on to the lowest battle copter, similar to an edge grab. Andy can then "jump" off this copter as an additional jump. If there are two or three battle copters, Andy can jump to progressively higher copters to gain height as part of his recovery. The less health his battle copters have, the fewer Andy has to use for recovery. (If there are no copters, Andy has no recovery at all!)

-----------

Andy can also incorporate units into his smash attacks (although they won't have health, and only one unit will appear).

Forward Smash: Tank
A tank blasts the space immediately in front of Andy.

Down Smash: Bomber
A bomber drops a blast at Andy's feet.

Up Smash: Missiles
A missile battery fires a short-range rocket at an upward angle.

In addition, Andy's Final Smash will upgrade all of his units!

Infantry -> Mechs
Recon -> Anti-Air
Artillery -> Rockets
Battle Copters -> Fighters

Although Andy will have his wrench for his normals, his relative weakness will make him largely dependent on skillful deployment and use of his units to gain a tactical advantage. I think all of this accurately represents Advance Wars as a series while still adding a new and interesting gameplay style to the Smash series!

/fanboy

Anth0ny

There's an example somewhere in this thread, can't remember what it was though: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=107486504

Nirolak was pointing out that unless there was an example like you said, the thread title should've been Wii U version: 21st December to 19th March.

Edit: I think it was this post: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=107483300&postcount=325, although that may have been debunked later.

I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo did consider Winter 2014 and Holiday 2014 to be the same.
Please please please let them be the same.

hmm Wii Fit U delayed to Winter 2013 eh

Release date: January 10, 2014

spideyshockxmzq5.gif

jph139

Oooh, ooh! Like I did with Ganondorf, let me use this opportunity to promote Andy as a playable character and how I feel like Smash could really capture the essence of Advance Wars!

Exactly what I think would be ideal for an Advance Wars character - completely new playstyle that really brings the feel of an SRPG to Smash.

Man I need to play Advance Wars, it just looks so good...! Waiting until the end of the semester to really get gaming, though...

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Snake isn't coming back. Jin Kazama is replacing him.

Crocodile

Man a character trailer or two at EVO before SSBM Top8 would be AWESOME. I'd really like to see Nintendo do it.

Regarding Xenoblade, I haven't played the game. Is Shulk like an actual good character or is it he's just the protagonist so he should get first dibs but everybody hates/is meh on him (which is the vibe I get for Chrom which is also from a game I haven't played)? Does he have an interesting personality? Interesting moveset possibilities?

justchris

Someone was discussing this before, maybe GamExplain? But the white trail seems to be an indicator of hitstun. The colored trail is for guaranteed KOs. You see DDD & Mega for sure not being KO'd there, they recover from hitstun at the end, so that's why they don't have a colored trail.

At the end, in the little circle, you can kind of see that Villager still has a trail, meaning he hasn't recovered from hitstun yet, probably because he was at a higher percentage, which is why he was launched farther than the others.

Edit: Nevermind, smoke trail is for hitstun, I see what you mean with the white trail before that. That is odd.

Game will likely be out by TGS. Ridley and Palutena are probably secret characters being kept secret until release. Mii and Pac-Man are E3 reveals. This is most likely situation imo.
Sakurai is teasing them too hard to be secret. Ridley is the biggest fan pleaser reveal that can be made right now. He is the right choice for E3. It is all about the hype. No one wants a fucking Mii in the game. I don't know if folks are actually interested in Pac-man. He is a nobody to me.

fireworks 2.0
This is why I hate Reggie. How fucking stupid and out of touch do you have to be to think that was worth anyone's time?

Man a character trailer or two at EVO before SSBM Top8 would be AWESOME. I'd really like to see Nintendo do it.

Regarding Xenoblade, I haven't played the game. Is Shulk like an actual good character or is it he's just the protagonist so he should get first dibs but everybody hates/is meh on him (which is the vibe I get for Chrom which is also from a game I haven't played)? Does he have an interesting personality? Interesting moveset possibilities?

Shulk is a pretty good character, but he gets overshadowed by pretty much everyone else in the cast (mainly Reyn, Dunban, Riki, and Melia-the other two don't have as much of a fanbase).

Weren't you going to go and rethink your life choices?

Shulk is a pretty good character, but he gets overshadowed by pretty much everyone else in the cast (mainly Reyn, Dunban, Riki, and Melia-the other two don't have as much of a fanbase).
Sharla is held back by being mega bad in combat. Closest thing to dead weight in the game. You just don't need a dedicated healer. I am a huge fan of Melia. Her elemental attacks are fun to juggle. I play her as a tank. :)

E3 will reveal Ridley (gamer hype train), Mii (casual hype train), Pac-Man (third party hype train), and Snake (everyone loves Snake).

We'll definitely be getting more than one newcomer, in any case.

I don't know if folks are actually interested in Pac-man. He is a nobody to me.

Pac-Man seems to get a lot of flak from people on forums (particularly younger ones), but he IS a third party character, and it seems like E3 is a perfect place for that (just like with Snake).
That said, E3 is all about the game press, right? And a lot of the game press are people that grew up with Pac-Man being one of gaming's icons. He would be a good reveal for them.

Top Bottom