• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Cross-Game Chat Confirmed? (Now delayed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/03/23/xi-has-begun/comment-page-1/#comment-193457

Wonder when it will be ready?

ruffneckc | March 23rd, 2009 at 9:16 am
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
When are we getting game launching abilities for every multiplayer game in the PS3 library? Why is it that the most basic of features for both the XMB and HOME get prioritized and delivered before all the extra stuff?

1) XMB - Voice Chat across games
2) XMB - Voice messaging(30 sec clip)
3) HOME - Game Launching for all games

Deliver what the fans want first and foremost then surprise us with all this Xi stuff.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

CydoniaX replied on March 23, 2009 at 12:32 pm
All that stuff is still in development, game launching started with Warhawk and should be supported by all future game spaces now. It takes time, but we haven’t forgotten about all the stuff that our users really want!

androvsky

If the word "confirmed" is followed by a question mark, then no, it's not confirmed.

EDIT: Would be nice though. That being said, I hope to live long enough to see the day when fans realize that there are such a thing as separate development teams, and Xi doesn't necessarily take resources away from firmware/API development.

A.R.K

Mamesj said:
All I see is "wait for in-game voice chat"

Sony really needs to fix their voice chat quality as it is. The experience I have had in warhawk and even recently in KZ is total let down than what I experienced on original Xbox. I am not sure its due to bluetooth(ps3) vs wired mic(xbox) but the quality is really bad or is it due to lag in general(its not my network since I have ultra-high speed cable).

So fix the voice chat quality in itself before moving on to cross voice chat and what not.

But can't wait for all these sweet features on PSN some day!

A.R.K said:
Sony really needs to fix their voice chat quality as it is. The experience I have had in warhawk and even recently in KZ is total let down than what I experienced on original Xbox. I am not sure its due to bluetooth(ps3) vs wired mic(xbox) but the quality is really bad or is it due to lag in general(its not my network since I have ultra-high speed cable).

So fix the voice chat quality in itself before moving on to cross voice chat and what not.

But can't wait for all these sweet features on PSN some day!

Live usually sounds like people are talking under water, warhawk is the only ps3 game i have continuously experienced that with besides the original motorstorm before they patched it.

IMO PS3 voice chat quality and that of in-game voice chat in PC games (CSS and TF2 as an example) seems very similar to me. It ranges from super-clear to outright terrible depending on the player.

Both allow the use of just about whatever headset you like, thus the varying levels of quality.

Everyone on the 360 is using the same old wired headset, so you get the same voice quality (mediocre) across the board.

I don't think it has much to do with the network or game config, unless everyone sounds like shit.

expy

Banned

belvedere

Junior Butler
Strider2K99 said:
Hmmm... I wonder how PSN will handle voice chat. :D

In regards to quality or censorship? Shouldn't be much if any different from PC chat. Depends on the player hardware and internet connection.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Still no custom sounctracks in sight, Sony? You can't have your sandwich until there are custom soundtracks for every PS3 game to date.

Gravijah

-PXG- said:
What did ReklissAbandon say?

"I think they wanted people to have fun and ejoy the show since all dead players can talk to each other no matter what team you are on. But I will suggest it anyway. Not to mention that the next PS3 firmware update is going to allow cross game chat. So if players use that instead of in game communication then they would also be able to communicate enemies positions."

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Combichristoffersen said:
Still no custom sounctracks in sight, Sony? You can't have your sandwich until there are custom soundtracks for every PS3 game to date.
Never going to happen. Sorry.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
This will make coordinating co-op sessions in Demon's Souls so much easier. Not to mention I can finally say "LOOK OUT FOR THAT FUCKING BOOBY TRAP!!!".:lol

Grok4Spock

I'm sorry for being such a noob about this, but what is cross game chat? Does that mean you can chat with someone even if you're not playing the same game?

onken

The blog posted a clarification, but coupled with the PSboards post, looking more and more likely:

Guys, some clarification seems to be needed on my above comment, apologies for being misleading. I was talking about voice chat for Home in general being worked on, not specifically about voice chat across games or voice messaging on the XMB. I can see how my quick answer was taken as a confirmation on all 3 items, but this is not the case.

Chrange

Banned
All that stuff has been 'in development' since the complaints first started. Those words don't mean anything anymore.

DMeisterJ

Banned
onken said:
The blog posted a clarification, but coupled with the PSboards post, looking more and more likely:

The blog post is old.

The boards post is new.

On top of that, apparently, Cross game voice chat has been in the last 3 Firmware SDKs or whatever. Just unusable by non-debug PS3s (i.e. Retail PS3s)

Fizzle

Kaz Hirai @ TGS09: NETWORK NETWORK NETWORK

Neogaf: =/

ND Dev: "the next PS3 firmware update is going to allow cross game chat."

Neogaf: =o

-PXG-

DMeisterJ said:
The blog post is old.

The boards post is new.

On top of that, apparently, Cross game voice chat has been in the last 3 Firmware SDKs or whatever. Just unusable by non-debug PS3s (i.e. Retail PS3s)

Got a link or something to support that?

If true, then why is Sony taking it's sweet time implementing that in retail consoles? QA perhaps?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
-PXG- said:

If true, then why is Sony taking it's sweet time implementing that in retail consoles? QA perhaps?
Wasn't it discussed that EA is tying things up? Maybe not.

DMeisterJ

Banned
-PXG- said:

I think Jim (moderator) posted it a few weeks ago (maybe in the 3.0, 3.01 thread?). It was posted various times before that, but that's the one I remember. I'll try to look for it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=17738478&postcount=3554

Jim said:
Well, cross voice chat exists, I'll say that much. When (if) it appears is the mystery.

Edit: Well, it existed very recently is more accurate.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=17738610&postcount=3559

Jim said:
it's just mostly a matter of when. But it did exist, and the reason it doesn't right now is for a much different, less nefarious reason.

I hope this does not hurt Jim or compromise him in any way, if so I'll edit.

onken

DMeisterJ said:
The blog post is old.

The boards post is new.

Oh yeah, stupid old thread bumping.

DMeisterJ said:
I think Jim (moderator) posted it a few weeks ago (maybe in the 3.0, 3.01 thread?). It was posted various times before that, but that's the one I remember. I'll try to look for it.

Sure you're not getting confused with custom soundtracks?

-PXG-

I'm not accusing you of making shit up. I just want proof, so I can decide whether or not to by annoyed with Sony. Sure, keeping things under wraps for QA is one thing, but just delaying it for the sake of it, is fucking dumb.

androvsky

DMeisterJ said:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=17738478&postcount=3554

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=17738610&postcount=3559

I hope this does not hurt Jim or compromise him in any way, if so I'll edit.

Actually, you're thinking of Torgo's post probably. ;)

I'm not sure when or even if Sony will release this feature, but it is fully working in the last 2 SDK revisions.That EA crap was totally BS.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=17766069&postcount=200

Also willing to edit if it gets Torgo in trouble, but since he's got probably half a dozen sources around SCE that could've told him that, I'm not too worried. ;) It's probably something that works about 99% of the time, and the delays are for the that last 1%.

DMeisterJ

Banned
androvsky said:
Actually, you're thinking of Torgo's post probably. ;)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=17766069&postcount=200

Also willing to edit if it gets Torgo in trouble, but since he's got probably half a dozen sources around SCE that could've told him that, I'm not too worried. ;) It's probably something that works about 99% of the time, and the delays are for the that last 1%.

Yeah, I couldn't find that, so I just found the one confirming it is there, and coming. Thanks for confirming that it's been in the last 2 SDKs.

androvsky

Edeuinu said:
So we have cross game chat and ps2/dc games on psn to theory about until next year.

OK!

There's been a lot of signs pointing to October for cross game chat. Next week there's not a super-huge PS3 exclusive release (iirc), so it'd make for a good time to have a firmware update. It beats having half a million people bringing home Uncharted 2 just to be greeted with an update prompt. :)

soco

are they going to make it a feature of XMB such that ALL games will support it, or will they do that shit like with the custom soundtrack stuff where it's only for games that choose to support it? (ie, ones that will sacrifice the extra memory).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom