• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Cross-Game Chat Confirmed? (Now delayed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firewire

Banned
I like how some fanboy's come out to any PS3 Firmware thread that has rumored improvements like these. Waiting for this thread to hit the "Live is only $3 a day, if you can't afford it your not a real gamer" bs.

Firewire said:
I like how some fanboy's come out to any PS3 Firmware thread that has rumored improvements like these. Waiting for this thread to hit the "Live is only $3 a day, if you can't afford it your not a real gamer" bs.

which btw would only be an argument if we pay 3$ a day to the firmware developer groups of Sony or MS.

Free PSN is NOT an excuse for the lack of firmware features, but the 360 firmwarefeatures aren't one to pay for Gold either. The situation we have today basically resulted from MS having features/systems mandatory for all games from the start.

anyway, let's see if this feature/update won't be delayed (again?), otherwise 3.10 should release with CGVC around 20th/21st or 27th/28th this month.

SmokyDave

I hope this is true, I have a few friends that will not buy multi-plats on PS3 because of the 'no external voice chat' issue. On 360 we like to party up, chat away and play seperate games.

iceatcs said:
No way, but gaming remote play is still suck.

media remote play is godsend feature -
- PlayTV mean I can watch BBC Top Gear/MOTD/F1 and Championship league in anywhere in the world with wifi area.
- Play massive collection of MP3
- Only flash enable portable browser (Via Ps3 browser)
- I'm outdoor smoker (pot), this thing useful for smoke outdoor only

Amen. I love remote play, but not for gaming.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Chrange said:
No it's not. It's coming up to par with what the 360 launched with four years ago. Since then, Microsoft's added a few things.
Why do people make a huge deal out of Sony trying to feature match Xbox Live across the board? Some people more than others.

There are certain things that are impossible to do at this point, such as universal game invites and such. Feature wise, this brings Sony closer to an Xbox Live experience than ever before. Yes, MS has added new things to Live but have mainly just been spinning their wheels (party movie groups, facebook, twitter, blah blah blah) because the Xbox Live infrastructure is pretty much set. It's a great experience with little improvement left to be made (I'm specifically talking about the online components only).

Also, please, could you answer my question in regards to how long ago party chat was added, you seem to imply that it was added a long time ago, but I have been looking around, and based on wiki, Major Nelson, and other sites....it seems that that feature (party chat) was just added last year
If I'm not mistaken, Party Chat was added recently (allowing up to four people to chat I think?) but before that you could chat one on one with someone across games since the very first firmware four years ago.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Why does remote play have to be perfect for gaming in order to be a viable feature? There's so many other useful things you can do with remote play that I couldn't care less if every games supports it with immediate response time. The fact that I can remote into my PS3 from anywhere in the world (even turn it on) and download items from the store, or even stream media (even from a local media server on my home LAN) is amazing to me, and something I actually use quite often.

It's hilarious that somehow this is being used as knock against the PSN/PS3. There's no denying the intentions of the fantards who honestly view this as a negative.

chubigans said:
Why do people make a huge deal out of Sony trying to feature match Xbox Live across the board? Some people more than others.
To be fair, just how many times are bigass threads created on NeoGAF alone that involve PS3 firmware features rumored to be added? Just this year, it seems like there must have been ten of these made on the forum that ended up having a lot of stuff not happening after all. So, the hype about possible things coming to PS3 (that constantly don't) is actually started by and coming from thread makers constantly bringing it up all year 'round for the last three or so years.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Edeuinu said:
Aww Kotaku sourced me on their post for this, how nice. :D

Now you exist if the rarefied air inhabited by "Japanese retail employee who uses terms like 'bailed in his Blog."

Chrange

Banned
chubigans said:

You're in a thread about Sony trying to feature match Xbox Live and ask that? :lol

Firewire

Banned
Chrange said:
You're in a thread about Sony trying to feature match Xbox Live and ask that? :lol

Thread title reads: PS3 Cross-Game Chat Confirmed?

Not: Sony trying to feature match Xbox Live!

I find it rather amusing that your in this thread trying to change the focus to what Live has that the PSN doesn't. Do you even own a PS3?

see5harp

Firewire said:

That is annoying and it's sorta ridiculous because price isn't the issue, it's features.

You have to admit that it is funny that Sony has had to fix so many issues with their system post launch, though. First you couldn't send messages in game, then no trophies, then no online portal (still extremely barebones), etc. It's not just the fanboys being critical of Sony. Hell, look at the Playstation Blog comments section.

belvedere

Junior Butler
see5harp said:
That is annoying and it's sorta ridiculous because price isn't the issue, it's features.

You have to admit that it is funny that Sony has had to fix so many issues with their system post launch, though. First you couldn't send messages in game, then no trophies, then no online portal (still extremely barebones), etc. It's not just the fanboys being critical of Sony. Hell, look at the Playstation Blog comments section.

I don't think anyone is questioning the bumpy road that has been the history of the PSN. Even at it's earliest stages, while still a hassle, communication was functional enough.

Not to mention, no matter how the PSN was, doesn't make paying for your own internet connection for a second time any more logical.

iceatcs said:

media remote play is godsend feature -
- PlayTV mean I can watch BBC Top Gear/MOTD/F1 and Championship league in anywhere in the world with wifi area.
- Play massive collection of MP3
- Only flash enable portable browser (Via Ps3 browser)
- I'm outdoor smoker (pot), this thing useful for smoke outdoor only
i have a netbook...

elohel

One of my favorites is the back and fourths between " I hate the system it's missing these features but I love it" kinda attitude not noting anyone specifically but it was recently noted(cross game chat I mean) as something that

"should have been there since the beginning"

Isn't cross game chat a new thing for consoles? Or relatively new? Lol

360 added it in the big dashboard update ryte?

I hope this comes to ps3 it'd add a lot to older games
without voicechat methinks

see5harp

Again you bring up price. Who the fuck cares? Bottom line, you don't have to be a fanboy to be critical of how Sony has played catch up this entire generation.

chubigans said:
If I'm not mistaken, Party Chat was added recently (allowing up to four people to chat I think?) but before that you could chat one on one with someone across games since the very first firmware four years ago.

8 person party chat was added last November with the NXE update. One on One cross game chat and game invites have been there since the system launched 4 years ago.

elohel said:
Isn't cross game chat a new thing for consoles? Or relatively new? Lol

360 added it in the big dashboard update ryte?

The 360 launched with cross game chat 4 years ago. The dashboard update just added how many people could chat at once (went from 2 to 8) but the core feature has always been there.

see5harp said:
Again you bring up price. Who the fuck cares? Bottom line, you don't have to be a fanboy to be critical of how Sony has played catch up this entire generation.
Who cares about price? Seriously? If you pay for XBL for just 5 years, that's $200. If you paid $400 for your 360 a few years ago, then it's like paying $600 for the 360. The same price as the PS3 launched at and was widely criticized for (rightfully so).

Regardless, I am critical of Sony's handling of firmware updates and console/network features. Even if they didn't have these things ready at launch, they should have at least required all games to support them so that they would work when they get released in the future. They should have had much more foresight.

iceatcs

The Faceless Master said:
i have a netbook...
I do have, and iPhone etc but I'm still using it because subtitle on PlayTV and record it if I want to watch when back home.
Browser for flash - rarely anyway but if I didn't bring netbook.

see5harp

I really really hate console exclusive gamers. All these "if's" and "5 years later" and justifications as to why you don't wanna work an extra job to pay for a second system.

Qwell

I had totally forgotten that you could turn on/off your PS3 with remote play now. I'm going to have to start bringing my PSP to work, especially on Thursdays because I get off work so late, downloading all the new content from work so its ready when I get home will be awesome :)

sca2511

thuway said:
Hold on there partner, there is too much RAAAGE in that post.

You can bitch about things, or accept them for what they are. Playstation users have muckled with a complicated online setup that is slowly becoming up to par with today's offerings. hint: its free

The cross game invite setup is there and its available for devs to take advantage of. See Resident Evil 5, Lost Planet 2 demo, etc. ( I don't know if Uncharted 2 uses it, I'm assuming it does) Forward-wise, I think most games will utilize this setup and the era of complicated invites will be gone.

Your downplaying cross game chat, but you know what? Atleast with cross game chat a user can easily figure out how to accept an invite with the guidance of another player. A feature that would easily make the experience of playing online that much more superior.

In any case, atleast for me, the largest handicap has always been communication with friends. Once that block has been eradicated, the other features of Live are novelties not necessities. I'm holding off on my purchase of Demon Soul's for cross game chat, hopefully by that time.

Most of my friends and I are waiting for cross game chat. We all own both consoles, but love the look / feel / build / experience that PS3 offers. I've been on record with this before, once this feature is a lock, my multiplats will be purchased on my PS3.

I agree with this.

iceatcs said:
I do have, and iPhone etc but I'm still using it because subtitle on PlayTV and record it if I want to watch when back home.
Browser for flash - rarely anyway but if I didn't bring netbook.
SmokyDave said:
Not even remotely the same thing.
obonicus said:
Pardon me, but what does that have to do with the topic at hand? Does it enhance the connectivity of your 360 or your PS3?
the point is, remote play sucks for gaming (the only thing i'd want to use it for)

Redd

Really hope this is true. Personally I can't stand cross game chatting on my PS3. Cross-Game chat is a godsend this gen on consoles imo.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
the point is, remote play sucks for gaming (the only thing i'd want to use it for)

I know you didn't expect full fledged seamless gameplay did you? especially when you know how bad broadband connections are, please don't tell me you did :(

Chrange

Banned
Firewire said:
Thread title reads: PS3 Cross-Game Chat Confirmed?

Not: Sony trying to feature match Xbox Live!

I find it rather amusing that your in this thread trying to change the focus to what Live has that the PSN doesn't. Do you even own a PS3?

Read the thread, not just the title.

Why would you accuse me of trying to change the focus, when I was replying to someone who mentioned Live (and they weren't the first to do it either - look at the 'feature complete!' posts lol) and giving my opinion on what they'd said. Did you ask them if THEY had a 360? Do you have one, for that matter?

For the record, I have a PS3. Does that matter? Can I have an opinion now? Keep trying to discredit people you disagree with, though, in lieu of offering your own opinion. That'll take you far. :lol

The idea that Microsoft has been 'spinning their wheels' is ridiculous. It's arguable that they haven't added as many big new features as Sony has to the PS3 - but that's what happens when you launch with a robust feature set, not piecemeal it in afterwards. I hope they add it in - then my friends and I can stop using Xbox Live to chat while playing PS3 games. That's something that should never have been required.

The only thing I care about is that these FW updates not causing errors on the PS3. I'm used to not havig cross game chat, so honestly, its not that big of a deal for me. But then again, it may be one of those features that once you have it, you wonder how you ever lived without it.

SmokyDave

I think we covered that.

iceatcs said:
SmokyDave said:
Amen. I love remote play, but not for gaming.

My favourite use of remote play is when I'm in a hotel with Wi-Fi. Connect PSP to TV, fire up remote play, watch all my media from home. When I've finished I can put it in my pocket for the next time I'm on a train and need some GT: PSP.

g35twinturbo said:
I know you didn't expect full fledged seamless gameplay did you? especially when you know how bad broadband connections are, please don't tell me you did :(
i know you didn't expect to make sense with that reply, did you? you just had to reply with SOMETHING, ANYTHING, right?

obonicus

Okay, but not everyone agrees with you. If someone else sees value in a feature remote-play offers, it has value. Otherwise I could start arguing about the value of features I don't find useful.

SmokyDave said:
I think we covered that.

My favourite use of remote play is when I'm in a hotel with Wi-Fi. Connect PSP to TV, fire up remote play, watch all my media from home. When I've finished I can put it in my pocket for the next time I'm on a train and need some GT: PSP.
you realize that you're quoting replies to a reply i made where i initially said remote play sucked, as one minor point in a very long post, yet people focused on that one negative and ignored all the positives? right???

obonicus said:
Okay, but not everyone agrees with you. If someone else sees value in a feature remote-play offers, it has value. Otherwise I could start arguing about the value of features I don't find useful.
strangely, in this thread, everyone seems to agree that it sucks for gaming, and other people were merely pointing out that it had other uses.

CrayzeeCarl said:
Who cares about price? Seriously? If you pay for XBL for just 5 years, that's $200. If you paid $400 for your 360 a few years ago, then it's like paying $600 for the 360. The same price as the PS3 launched at and was widely criticized for (rightfully so).

Regardless, I am critical of Sony's handling of firmware updates and console/network features. Even if they didn't have these things ready at launch, they should have at least required all games to support them so that they would work when they get released in the future. They should have had much more foresight.

buuuullshit!!!

ps3 = 400
xbox 360 elite = 400 + 50 +100(wireless router) + warranty(its a must)

If i was smart I would have just walked out the store, but my friends had me soooo hyped on being able to play the UFC game through live with all of them, and of course catching up on Halo 3. So was not worth it. Although I do love puzzle quest.

To me, all ps3 is missing is the cross game voice chat, but seriously, if im in uncharted 2, i can chat with friends easily. And if im not playing a game, I don't particularly "like" to talk to my buddies and chit chat.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
i know you didn't expect to make sense with that reply, did you? you just had to reply with SOMETHING, ANYTHING, right?

oh I did, you're bitching over a feature that everyone knew what the constraint was.

seriously? come on dawg, really? It's a nice feature to have to remotely do things, ala download shit from the store or even play a tactics base game but I guess that's not good enough since you want a 1:1 reaction time.

fuck this noise, what happen to cross game invites, this became a thread of people bitching about pre-existing features and people comparing them to live.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Another thread degenerates that has nothing to do with comparing PSN to XBL turns into PSN vs. XBL and PS3 vs. 360.

All we need is list warz, and then the thread will be complete.

Never change GAF, Never change.

obonicus

strangely, in this thread, everyone seems to agree that it sucks for gaming, and other people were merely pointing out that it had other uses.

Sure, but the point was that it was a useful feature unique to the PS3 (when compared to the 360, as opposed to a netbook). That it sucks for games doesn't change that, not unless we want to redefine 'useful features'.

Edeuinu

To me the idea of chatting is like calling up a friend and gabbing on the phone. Not gonna happen. Especially if involved in a deep SP story.

Only time I would like it, is online gaming, which I don't do that much of. But most of the support it anyway.

One thing that bugs me is on a lot of podcasts I listen to, everyone complains that no one has a headset. I personally find myself muting everyone because it makes the game more enjoyable without listening to a bunch of kids with ADD. And if I have close enough friends that I would do online gaming with, they'll get a headset. Maybe I'm missing something why it's always brought up so much?

Crisis

Banned
DMeisterJ said:
Another thread degenerates that has nothing to do with comparing PSN to XBL turns into PSN vs. XBL and PS3 vs. 360.

All we need is list warz, and then the thread will be complete.

Never change GAF, Never change.

To be fair though we all knew this was going to happen.

Edeuinu said:
To me the idea of chatting is like calling up a friend and gabbing on the phone. Not gonna happen. Especially if involved in a deep SP story.

Only time I would like it, is online gaming, which I don't do that much of. But most of the support it anyway.

One thing that bugs me is on a lot of podcasts I listen to, everyone complains that no one has a headset. I personally find myself muting everyone because it makes the game more enjoyable without listening to a bunch of kids with ADD. And if I have close enough friends that I would do online gaming with, they'll get a headset. Maybe I'm missing something why it's always brought up so much?

Or the idea of chatting is like planning what game to play and what room to join instead of playing a guessing game, or typing ridiculous messages only to recieve them pretty late. The idea of chatting is also muting the other players and only talk to your own buddy during a game. The idea of chatting is also asking a friend what he's upto or what he wants to do today instead of calling him up on the phone. The idea of chatting is playing a single-player game together on different 360 and having the almost same experience as playing a co-op game. The idea is helping each other out finding some hidden items or stuff. The idea of chatting is starting a game, exiting it and restarting another game without your conversations being disrupted.

There are many reasons why people want Cross-Game Chat. The most important reason is simplicity. It helps simplify certain situations which takes a long ass time. Developers who are either lazy or don't have the resources to add voice-chat can lay back and rest. Developers who don't have a proper lobby system will be not punished when you can just ask your friend which room he is entering.

Sounds like you have never encountered a situation when you and your friend enter a game, only to find out that he entered pretty late and by the time you started typing "I FOUND A ROOM! COME TO ROOM TITLED xHDGUAHOIDODx", it's too fucking late...

All in all, I've put cross-game chat to good use in Xbox360 and PC. I will indeed put it to good use in PS3.

Edeuinu

Yeah those examples make a lot of sense now that I read them. And yeah I have signed onto PSN getting a message to play SFIV a day later, haha. That alone is worth it I suppose.

I guess I'm so used to Steam and having the chat program so easily accessible I used that and went from there.

Either way, hope it's true, hope it works and hope it's not half assed.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
EDIT: Beaten.
Party chat is the most useful feature of Live. Hope the PS3 version works in a similar fashion.
Edeuinu said:

Some people chat while playing SP games with each other, I don't, but it's nice enough of an option.

The real benefit that you're missing is that it makes it 10x easier to coordinate games online since you're ALWAYS in chat with each other, no matter what the system or game is doing.
Instead of just feeling stupid and sitting in a lobby waiting for my friends to join, they can actively tell me they're loading up the game, or to wait a couple minutes as they get a drink, etc. You're not sitting there in silence wondering where they are, are they joining, did someone not get an invite, etc.

I've even had times where the game froze on me but the chat still worked, so I told my friends I'd restart and come back instead of them wondering what the hell happened to me and possibly quitting or filling my spot.

Crud. Let's hope whatever else in the firmware update is pretty good (netflix, ps2 emulation, party system, fixed invites, more universal in-game music, whatever).

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
xero273 said:
Probably needs more testing. Is the native netflix app also coming in early 2010? Maybe netflix and this will be in the same update.

That's a late 10 thing. Contractual stuff with MS apparently is holding that back until then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom