• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Cross-Game Chat Confirmed? (Now delayed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
soco said:
are they going to make it a feature of XMB such that ALL games will support it, or will they do that shit like with the custom soundtrack stuff where it's only for games that choose to support it? (ie, ones that will sacrifice the extra memory).
If it's not completely universal then you'd have to think it would work with at least 95-99% of games. Otherwise, it would be almost pointless because the more people you chat with, the greater the chance that one of you will be playing a game that CGC doesn't work with.

soco

CrayzeeCarl said:
If it's not completely universal then you'd have to think it would work with at least 95-99% of games. Otherwise, it would be almost pointless because the more people you chat with, the greater the chance that one of you will be playing a game that CGC doesn't work with.

i suspect it's more about creating fancy little comparison grids with XBL and other services and just being able to say 'yes we have that' rather than making it worthwhile, much like the soundtrack thing :(

gcubed

soco said:
are they going to make it a feature of XMB such that ALL games will support it, or will they do that shit like with the custom soundtrack stuff where it's only for games that choose to support it? (ie, ones that will sacrifice the extra memory).

does it even take the extra memory anymore? I thought i remember them saying that they had the in game soundtrack console wide in the SDK but had to make it a per game option due to MS's patent

androvsky

DMeisterJ said:
Well then, let's get ready with the 3.1 update thread. Cross-game chat is up there with in-game XMB right?

Easily. I think half the excitement for in-game XMB was from people thinking it'd include cross-game chat and custom soundtracks.

AndyD

aka andydumi
soco said:

One of the rumors was that a few EA games do not support it. All others do and not a handful of older EA games.

Whatever they do I hope it allows games to force it off. For example, if I am playing KZ2 or Uncharted 2, or R2, I want the people in my squad to talk and work together and have a server option to force XMB chat off. Or at least allow in game chat as a primary chat and XMB chat as a push button thing.

It woudl be terrible if people all of a sudden stopped chatting in games and working/talking together because they can instead talk to their friends who are playing a different game or are in Home or watching a movie or whatnot.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Returners said:
Yup then PS3 will be feature-complete (excluding Parties I guess)

Well the notable outstanding feature would be universal invites.

But if voice chat works the way it should then it'll be a 'party system'. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the core of the party system on Live is 8-way voice chat among members...I'd expect PSN's to be n-way, similar to the text chat system currently, but with smaller numbers I guess.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
It only really matters with universal mic inclusion with the box, otherwise it's always an afterthought. Games tend to find their own level of "necessary" voice chat after a while in the wild, and my PS3 experiences are either silent, or I am listening to folks basically having a public party chat.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
OuterWorldVoice said:
It only really matters with universal mic inclusion with the box, otherwise it's always an afterthought. Games tend to find their own level of "necessary" voice chat after a while in the wild, and my PS3 experiences are either silent, or I am listening to folks basically having a public party chat.

I think it might improve mic adoption.

I have a mic for my PS3 but scarcely ever use it.

However if I could chat with friends across different games rather than the randomers I am playing with in my own game currently, that might prompt me to use it more often. I don't like chatting so much with strangers like that for some reason.

I don't think the lack of a mic in the box is REALLY the big barrier. I think the barrier is that most people - not the hardcore - are perhaps put off by voice chatting in games with strangers. It can be an unpleasant experience. And MOST people don't have a lot of real life friends on their friends lists, people they would be more comfortable chatting with. I think that's really the barrier. I'm thinking of a broader audience here though than the core.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
gofreak said:
I think it might improve mic adoption.

I have a mic for my PS3 but scarcely ever use it.

However if I could chat with friends across different games rather than the randomers I am playing with in my own game currently, that might prompt me to use it more often. I don't like chatting so much with strangers like that for some reason.

I don't think the lack of a mic in the box is REALLY the big barrier. I think the barrier is that most people - not the hardcore - are perhaps put off by voice chatting in games with strangers. It can be an unpleasant experience. And MOST people don't have a lot of real life friends on their friends lists, people they would be more comfortable chatting with. I think that's really the barrier. I'm thinking of a broader audience here though than the core.

Honestly, even the fact that it has to be paired as a bluetooth device is a barrier to entry. Folks are lazy and hate doing anything complex. There are probably tons of PS3 owners with bluetooth mics for their phones who just don't even bother because it's a few extra steps to pair the thing.

obonicus

OuterWorldVoice said:
Honestly, even the fact that it has to be paired as a bluetooth device is a barrier to entry. Folks are lazy and hate doing anything complex. There are probably tons of PS3 owners with bluetooth mics for their phones who just don't even bother because it's a few extra steps to pair the thing.

With the official BT headset, isn't it just a matter of connecting it directly to the PS3?

androvsky

OuterWorldVoice said:

I'm sure they would if they felt it was worth it. For the most part, if someone's that lazy, I'm okay with them not chatting in games. :)

gofreak said:
Well the notable outstanding feature would be universal invites.

I don't get why this is so important to many people, at the moment the only difference to the system on the 360 is that you manually have to start the game, isn't it?

on a completely different note: Sony should really (have) included an option to auto-reconnect to the three selected/last textchatrooms as soon as you connect to the PSN.

e.g. make a group for your friends (up to 16 at the same time and unlimited invites) and w/o thinking about it you are automatically connected to all of them and read the chat popups ingame of whoever is chatting at the moment etc.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
SolidusDave said:
I don't get why this is so important to many people, at the moment the only difference to the system on the 360 is that you manually have to start the game, isn't it?

LOL NO.

Half the time you can't tell WHAT FUCKING GAME the person is inviting you to.

"You have recieved a new message: JOIN ME!"
"Join me!"
"... What game?"

Street 2, 4, and a few others have this problem. Developers are starting to make good with identifying the game, but it's no where near as useful as Live's.

OuterWorldVoice said:

Agree with this assertion. I always thought the PS3 shot itself in the foot by not including a headset of some kind. Not that it needed a reason to be even more expensive at launch.

TheSeks said:
LOL NO.

Half the time you can't tell WHAT FUCKING GAME the person is inviting you to.

"You have recieved a new message: JOIN ME!"
"Join me!"
"... What game?"

Street 2, 4, and a few others have this problem. Developers are starting to make good with identifying the game, but it's no where near as useful as Live's.

mhh I don't think I have any game that doesn't show the name of the game in the message (I guess it's not in the title but IIRC you can change the title or at least the message manually?). For me it's not really a hassle to check the mail after reading in the ingame popup that it's a game invite from my buddy, if all fails I could always see what game the person who send the invite is playing eh?

Actually it's really rare that I play a game and would instantly quit/change the game if I receive an invite (e.g. playing to the next checkpoint, end of the match).

A long as I only have to press a button to let the game check for the invite and another click to connect me to the buddy I'm happy (that I don't have to search for him in a serverlist as it would be w/o invites at all).

My point is there are already invites (and they basically all work the same, sure you could make it more comfortable like on the 360 but not really more useful) while cross-game voicechat is a feature that doesn't exist on PS3, so imo it should be a bigger deal (Cross-text-chat is not really comparable, though it has other advantages)

Shambles

It would be a nice feature but getting in game soundtracks to work properly would be a lot more desirable for me personally.

soco

gcubed said:
does it even take the extra memory anymore? I thought i remember them saying that they had the in game soundtrack console wide in the SDK but had to make it a per game option due to MS's patent

if it didn't take extra memory, i'd imagine more games would've supported it by now since it's supported in the SDK. unless the SDK is shit, it can't take that much effort to implement it in-game and there's really no excuse for not supporting it.

SolidusDave said:
on a completely different note: Sony should really (have) included an option to auto-reconnect to the three selected/last textchatrooms as soon as you connect to the PSN.

e.g. make a group for your friends (up to 16 at the same time and unlimited invites) and w/o thinking about it you are automatically connected to all of them and read the chat popups ingame of whoever is chatting at the moment etc.

This would be EXCELLENT. I've got 2 chats (I'd have 3 if someone would invite me to the SF4 chat :(... ) and it'd be nice to just auto-connect to them when logging in.

Another thing sort of related is that the XMB isn't accessible when playing PSone games (I assume this is the same for PS2 for those of you with BC units). It's kind of annoying because if I'm logged into a chat and get messages I have to quit my game to be able to respond. Having CGVC would be nice to alleviate this but not letting me access it just at all is kind of annoying.

-PXG-

For people saying they don't care and such, you either

1) don't play online
2) don't have friends
3) never used/ own(ed) a 360

I've waited (and everyone else) fucking forever for these features. Why not welcome something that will make things easier and the overall experience better?

xero273

hikarutilmitt said:
This would be EXCELLENT. I've got 2 chats (I'd have 3 if someone would invite me to the SF4 chat :(... ) and it'd be nice to just auto-connect to them when logging in.

Did you try asking someone in SF4 thread for a chat invite? I'm pretty sure if you asked someone will invite you.

xero273 said:
Did you try asking someone in SF4 thread for a chat invite? I'm pretty sure if you asked someone will invite you.

I think I got lost in the torrent of comments in the thread. That or it was in the SSF4 thread. Either way, I'm not invited. :lol

kuYuri

belvedere said:
In regards to quality or censorship? Shouldn't be much if any different from PC chat. Depends on the player hardware and internet connection.

Mostly things like how many people will be allowed in the chat room, etc.

Returners said:
Yup then PS3 will be feature-complete (excluding Parties I guess)
excluding one of the most awesome features, universal in-game/cross-game invites/joining

the ability to from the menu, just join any friend or any of the last 100 random players in a game they're playing cannot be understated, especially in games like bad company

SolidusDave said:
My point is there are already invites (and they basically all work the same, sure you could make it more comfortable like on the 360 but not really more useful) while cross-game voicechat is a feature that doesn't exist on PS3, so imo it should be a bigger deal (Cross-text-chat is not really comparable, though it has other advantages)
a major difference is you don't have to be invited... you can just pull up the friends list or recently played list, and it shows if the person is joinable with an icon, and then you can just join.

plus the stuff TheSeks said...

Mrbob

DMPrince said:
you have to pull up the XMB and cover the game screen just to continue voice chat.

This is the sound of my excitement completely fading away. This would be terrible. Any source to back this? Hope it isn't true!

Wanted this day one, it's a big reason I re-purchased a 360 after being so hardcore into the PS3. Couldn't live without the private chat (now party chat).

Mrbob said:
This is the sound of my excitement completely fading away. This would be terrible. Any source to back this? Hope it isn't true!

no. i'm just poking fun at the text chat where it covers the whole screen :lol.

Seriously. could it been hard to show a chat window like 360? or how MMO's do it Sony?

DMeisterJ

Banned
Mrbob said:

I don't think it's true, just something that people were throwing around when we last spoke of this.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
SolidusDave said:

Sorry, but no. Until PSN tells me WHAT FUCKING GAME THE PERSON WANTS TO PLAY WITH ME at a glance like Live does (TheSeks wants to play Halo 3: ODST!) in that little pop-up for the XMB, it is no where near as easy as Live's system and therefore needs refinement. (I partially blame the developers for not auto-putting the games name in the invite message's title bar)

And as The Faceless Master stated, there is an ability on Live to auto-join players that have a "joinable" status, wither or not their on your friendslist.

I could honestly give two shits less about voice-chat/cross-game. But I want a damn functional cross-game invite system like Live.

Quasar

-PXG- said:
For people saying they don't care and such, you either

1) don't play online
2) don't have friends
3) never used/ own(ed) a 360

Certainly a good deal of that is true when it comes to console games. Though one thing that has always confused me a little is the mantra about the 360. Certainly the 360 I bought never included any kind of headset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom