• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Cross-Game Chat Confirmed? (Now delayed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

thuway

TheSeks said:
Sorry, but no. Until PSN tells me WHAT FUCKING GAME THE PERSON WANTS TO PLAY WITH ME at a glance like Live does (TheSeks wants to play Halo 3: ODST!) in that little pop-up for the XMB, it is no where near as easy as Live's system and therefore needs refinement. (I partially blame the developers for not auto-putting the games name in the invite message's title bar)

And as The Faceless Master stated, there is an ability on Live to auto-join players that have a "joinable" status, wither or not their on your friendslist.

I could honestly give two shits less about voice-chat/cross-game. But I want a damn functional cross-game invite system like Live.

Hold on there partner, there is too much RAAAGE in that post.

You can bitch about things, or accept them for what they are. Playstation users have muckled with a complicated online setup that is slowly becoming up to par with today's offerings. hint: its free

The cross game invite setup is there and its available for devs to take advantage of. See Resident Evil 5, Lost Planet 2 demo, etc. ( I don't know if Uncharted 2 uses it, I'm assuming it does) Forward-wise, I think most games will utilize this setup and the era of complicated invites will be gone.

Your downplaying cross game chat, but you know what? Atleast with cross game chat a user can easily figure out how to accept an invite with the guidance of another player. A feature that would easily make the experience of playing online that much more superior.

In any case, atleast for me, the largest handicap has always been communication with friends. Once that block has been eradicated, the other features of Live are novelties not necessities. I'm holding off on my purchase of Demon Soul's for cross game chat, hopefully by that time.

Most of my friends and I are waiting for cross game chat. We all own both consoles, but love the look / feel / build / experience that PS3 offers. I've been on record with this before, once this feature is a lock, my multiplats will be purchased on my PS3.

Chrange

Banned
thuway said:

You can bitch about things, or accept them for what they are. Playstation users have muckled with a complicated online setup that is slowly becoming up to par with today's offerings.

No it's not. It's coming up to par with what the 360 launched with four years ago. Since then, Microsoft's added a few things.

Hanmik

just a question about this feature.. how will it work with games like Modern Warfare..? I mean when I play hardcore, and I am the only guy left, can the dead people talk to me via cross game chat..? how does this work on X360..?

Chrange

Banned
Noshino said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_System_Software#Versions

As I don't have a 360 with me, please can you check if there is something missing in there?

If this list is to be believed, then your statement is deceiving.

The entire party system - including party chat, one-button party invites, etc...

The PS3 is catching up to what the 360 launched with. Xbox Live hasn't been stagnant since then though.

If Sony really wants to surpass what Xbox Live offers, they need to do twice as much. Microsoft had a four year lead and hasn't exactly been sitting around doing dick all.

onken

Did they ever fix the volume issues with the official headset? Apparently if you had HQ mode on you would be barely audible to other people.

Hanmik said:
just a question about this feature.. how will it work with games like Modern Warfare..? I mean when I play hardcore, and I am the only guy left, can the dead people talk to me via cross game chat..? how does this work on X360..?

I think on 360 you can only talk cross-game if you're in the same party.

If you want to talk to people that are IN the game you're playing that AREN'T in your party, you have to select some option from the 360 in-game menu to voice chat via the game instead of voice chat to your party.

I could be totally wrong though, but I think that's the experience I remember having with 360 voice chat.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Chrange said:
No it's not. It's coming up to par with what the 360 launched with four years ago. Since then, Microsoft's added a few things.

Sony's been adding a few things that don't have a direct analog on Live. It's not accurate to say they're purely feature-matching the original 360 Live.

If voice chat works similarly to text chat, it'd be matching the current party voice chat system rather than the original 1-on-1 chat system 360 launched with. I don't know whether it will be n-way rather than 1-way, but I'm guessing you don't either yet (?) :p

Chrange

Banned
gofreak said:
Sony's been adding a few things that don't have a direct analog on Live. It's not accurate to say they're purely feature-matching the original 360 Live.

If voice chat works similarly to text chat, it'd be matching the current party voice chat system rather than the original 1-on-1 chat system 360 launched with. I don't know whether it will be n-way rather than 1-way, but I'm guessing you don't either yet (?) :p

If we're talking about as-of-yet-imaginary features, I think the 360's 200-way video conferencing seems cool too! :p

People act like PSN is the equal of what Xbox Live is right now, but it's just not. They still lack some of the Xbox Live standard features that were around four years ago - even ignoring that those things are all STANDARD on 360 games, and there's no question whether or not a game supports them.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Let's hope it's real this time. I can't wait. Something I definitely need on PS3.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Chrange said:
If we're talking about as-of-yet-imaginary features, I think the 360's 200-way video conferencing seems cool too! :p

People act like PSN is the equal of what Xbox Live is right now, but it's just not.

The very post you were replying to was an acknowledgement that it doesn't perfectly cover everything Live does. 'People' saying they're equal are probably few and far between, around here anyway. Neither, in fact, is actually a perfect superset of the other.

As for 'coming up to par', I assumed in this context it was including the introduction of voice chat on PSN since that's what the thread is about. Again, if it's party chat ala text chat, then it would be coming up to par with what Live has in terms of voice chat today rather than what it offered in 05. As long as we're making assumptions about as-of-yet-imaginary features, there's no reason to assume it'll be two-way and not n-way (unless you have some info you'd like to spill...).

Chrange said:
The entire party system - including party chat, one-button party invites, etc...

The PS3 is catching up to what the 360 launched with. Xbox Live hasn't been stagnant since then though.

If Sony really wants to surpass what Xbox Live offers, they need to do twice as much. Microsoft had a four year lead and hasn't exactly been sitting around doing dick all.

Play on your xbox then?

Sony is doing a great job at the minute... and you know, if Xbox is so perfect then we only need one system and everyone may as well just ditch the PS3 - as everyone seems to just want the PS3 to be a 360.

X-Game Voice chat is the only major feature needed now... and the good news is that if voice chat does come soon, then sony can work on refinements after.

A lot of the bitching in this thread is about minor differences.

Personally i hope they make the font 4x bigger and never add voice chat. internet peons don;t deserve nice things.

Ashes

Banned
chrange is making a few good points here. I have both consoles. But Live paying issues have put me off that service. Especially if you have a console in the living room and more then one person uses it. Not only is it a pain, to be paying for a service that's free everywhere else but you have to pay for it twice if two people use it; it would have been three in our case. So my brother is the only one who bothers to pay. I will say that sometimes he has both systems on so that when he plays psn, he can talk over xbl.
I think the point I'm making is that one is free and the other is paid for. And whilst I agree that chrange has made a few good points, I don't think the difference is anywhere near as big as it should be.
I'm thinking it should be like photoshop>gimp, but instead this is something like Microsoft office>open office.

The Faceless Master said:
a major difference is you don't have to be invited... you can just pull up the friends list or recently played list, and it shows if the person is joinable with an icon, and then you can just join.

plus the stuff TheSeks said...

true, though some games just allow that ingame (I know that's not nearly the same but the feature is, my point is still regarding a feature not possible before).

the whole problem is that Sony introduced standard PSN invites but as it seems they are not mandatory like trophies.
Maybe they can build a system in the future that uses those to achieve something similar as on the 360. But I doubt it (see universal Home parties/game launching)
the main advantage of the 360 firmware always was the mandatory use of the features from the start so it's a better user experience because it's standard for all games.

on another note these kind of threads seem to generalize much. There are several (mostly not online related) features the PS3 firmware does while the 360 doesn't (you just don't see people bitch about it :lol )

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
SolidusDave said:
There are several (mostly not online related) features the PS3 firmware does while the 360 doesn't (you just don't see people bitch about it :lol )

Just out of curiosity: what features are these?

Combichristoffersen said:
Just out of curiosity: what features are these?

out of my head
- custom and dynamic themes
- copy savegames, movies, pictures and music from and to any external storage device
- permanent (crossgame)-textchatrooms
- sending any photo with PSN mails (actually I used that a lot to show some screenshots)
- several music/video and photo playback options
(- free XMB integrated apps like Vidzone, that photo thing, LwP and therefor their features)
- availability of standard systems for screenshots and ingame video-recording&youtube uploading
- Internetbrowser (which is now quite handy with the universal copy&paste feature of the PS3, e.g. sending links via PSN)
- (internet-) remote play (PSP, mobile phone)

I could continue I guess, but that's just to give an idea, not a list war as I know most could care less about these features.

edit: well the apps kinda don't count as I was talking about firmware

kevm3

I keep hearing people say, "Ohhh well Sony is barely catching up to live four years ago!" Uh what exactly does live have right now that is light years ahead of Sony? Let's qualify that statement. What is it that makes live so far ahead of PSN?

onken

kevm3 said:
I keep hearing people say, "Ohhh well Sony is barely catching up to live four years ago!" Uh what exactly does live have right now that is light years ahead of Sony? Let's qualify that statement. What is it that makes live so far ahead of PSN?

Yes let's have another 360 vs PS3 thread, that will be fresh and exciting, not to mention relevant.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
kevm3 said:
I'm not one of the people that would say light years. But what's missing for me personally:

A web interface where I can write people messages that they can read online or on their PS3.

The here mentioned Cross-game voice chat functionality with at least 4 participants.

Not a feature, but a small annoyance: The trophies should auto sync in the background or when the system is idle. I just want faster access times to these things..

Ashes

Banned
bandresen said:
I'm not one of the people that would say light years. But what's missing for me personally:

A web interface where I can write people messages that they can read online or on their PS3.

The here mentioned Cross-game voice chat functionality with at least 4 participants.

Not a feature, but a small annoyance: The trophies should auto sync in the background or when the system is idle. I just want faster access times to these things..

That last thing needed bolding for some people.

kevm3

onken said:
Yes let's have another 360 vs PS3 thread, that will be fresh and exciting, not to mention relevant.

Just like it's relevant when people either outright mention or insinuate that live is way past psn without qualifying those statements, right?

thuway said:

You can bitch about things, or accept them for what they are. Playstation users have muckled with a complicated online setup that is slowly becoming up to par with today's offerings. hint: its free

The cross game invite setup is there and its available for devs to take advantage of. See Resident Evil 5, Lost Planet 2 demo, etc. ( I don't know if Uncharted 2 uses it, I'm assuming it does) Forward-wise, I think most games will utilize this setup and the era of complicated invites will be gone.

Your downplaying cross game chat, but you know what? Atleast with cross game chat a user can easily figure out how to accept an invite with the guidance of another player. A feature that would easily make the experience of playing online that much more superior.

In any case, atleast for me, the largest handicap has always been communication with friends. Once that block has been eradicated, the other features of Live are novelties not necessities. I'm holding off on my purchase of Demon Soul's for cross game chat, hopefully by that time.

Most of my friends and I are waiting for cross game chat. We all own both consoles, but love the look / feel / build / experience that PS3 offers. I've been on record with this before, once this feature is a lock, my multiplats will be purchased on my PS3.
no dude, you're downplaying cross chat by saying cross chat insead of universal in-game cross-game chat.

and wedging in "it's free" is not really a valid defense, it's about as solid as "launch aligned" etc...

pointing out a handful of games using a half-decent system is just picking oranges up at the grocery store because someone else talks about their apple tree in their backyard.

Dragon

Banned
onken said:

Well this is a PS3 firmware thread, why was the 360 brought up in the first place if it wasn't relevant?

SolidusDave said:
out of my head
- custom and dynamic themes
- copy savegames, movies, pictures and music from and to any external storage device
- permanent (crossgame)-textchatrooms
- sending any photo with PSN mails (actually I used that a lot to show some screenshots)
- several music/video and photo playback options
(- free XMB integrated apps like Vidzone, that photo thing, LwP and therefor their features)
- availability of standard systems for screenshots and ingame video-recording&youtube uploading
- Internetbrowser (which is now quite handy with the universal copy&paste feature of the PS3, e.g. sending links via PSN)
- (internet-) remote play (PSP, mobile phone)

I could continue I guess, but that's just to give an idea, not a list war as I know most could care less about these features.

edit: well the apps kinda don't count as I was talking about firmware
indeed, custom and dynamic themes would be nice, i haven't changed the theme from Afrika since i downloaded it, it's just beautiful! my aunt even saw it and asked me "are those real zebras?"

text chatrooms... i guess that would be nice for people who like that kinda thing... (says the guy who's an IRC addict, lol)

being able to back up saves is always a good thing, and seriously, burning a cd just so i can copy music to the 360s is borderline retarded. copying video on the other hand, well, i guess it would be good IF WE COULD USE OUR OWN HDD'S instead of being peripheral raped.

sending any photo would be awesome, several times i've had to use ninja fucking magic to take a vision camera pic of my laptop screen just to send a pic to someone over XBL. soo fucking annoying!

STILL NO FF/REW ON MUSIC, WHAT THE FUCK MICROSOFT???? and i looooove that 'press square to browse stills' for videos. makes finding the exact segment i want to go to a breeze.

keyword being free, since XBL has quite a few apps, but they all require Gold IIRC.

i've been saying since launch that the 360 needs a web browser. how inthe fuck does the only company that MAKES A WEB BROWSER IN-HOUSE doesn't have one? instead we get this twitter, last.fm and facebook crap... welcome to the club, PS3 worked with Pandora a long time ago!

remote play sucks, the novelty quickly wore off.

onken

kevm3 said:
Just like it's relevant when people either outright mention or insinuate that live is way past psn without qualifying those statements, right?

I agree it sucks but it doesn't mean every thread should be de-railed because of it.

koji

Hope it's true this time, xgame voice chat is/was a pretty big deal to me, went so far to run a voiceserver on PC with my mates and use bluetooth dongles etc... :lol

-PXG-

thuway said:

Uh...

Chrange said:

Pretty much.

TheBranca18 said:
Well this is a PS3 firmware thread, why was the 360 brought up in the first place if it wasn't relevant?

My bad....Oops...

But it's only natural to compare things. It was inevitable.

fistfulofmetal said:
i have a cross game, cross console, cross everything chat.

it's called skype. works great

Yeah, but it's not convenient. :p

mh in terms of games?

I think it's quite functional because you can start (and switch off of course) your PS3 from any Wlan connection your PSP can use (and I guess wired connections too if you connect your PSP to a laptop?) and therefor have access on most of the features&content besides games.

e.g.:

you have full access to Vidzone or your photo, music and video collection on the ps3 and connected external HDDs (and even your PC if it's on and connected via media steam)

someone who owns PlayTV can watch all of his TV channels and recordings on the PSP (and even start recording while your away from home if you forgot about a show etc.)

start your PS Store downloads away from home (e.g. from work, NSFW? ^^) and let them download&install so you when you're back home you just switch on your PS3 and play.

send PSN mails. (Video)Chats are possible too but obviously useless because you can't talk back ^^ oh that reminds me of a fun gimmick: plug in your webcam and you can use remote play for the surveillance of your room :lol

AFAIK the new Sony Ericsson mobile phone (and future ones?) allows remote play even w/o Wlan but over the 3G network.

so imo even if you exclude games remote play has a lot of nice uses for various occasions.

Noshino

Chrange said:

People act like PSN is the equal of what Xbox Live is right now, but it's just not. They still lack some of the Xbox Live standard features that were around four years ago - even ignoring that those things are all STANDARD on 360 games, and there's no question whether or not a game supports them.

Wait wait, what are those features that have been STANDARD for 4 years that the PS3 still lacks?

Also, please, could you answer my question in regards to how long ago party chat was added, you seem to imply that it was added a long time ago, but I have been looking around, and based on wiki, Major Nelson, and other sites....it seems that that feature (party chat) was just added last year

jaypah

Noshino said:
Wait wait, what are those features that have been STANDARD for 4 years that the PS3 still lacks?

Also, please, could you answer my question in regards to how long ago party chat was added, you seem to imply that it was added a long time ago, but I have been looking around, and based on wiki, Major Nelson, and other sites....it seems that that feature (party chat) was just added last year

wow :lol

on topic: though i don't play PS3 online a lot this is still awesome if true and going by this thread i believe it is. competition is good.

confused

Banned
PSN is good enough for what it sets out to do, and that is to deliver free online play for everybody. Adding new features to make things easier for users is commendable and anything new they add is a great step forward towards making PSN a complete experience.

Sure, Xbox LIVE has more features than PSN does, but it has also been around and been actively supported by paying customers before PSN existed. Also keep in mind that Xbox LIVE willingly splits the userbase into gold and silver users. Why the hell should I wait a week extra for a game demo that's already on your service MS ?

j-wood

To: Everyone blowing their load thinking this is coming really soon.

Subject: It's not

Message: Sony said 3.0 was the last major firmware update this year. If this is true, it will be a major update, and it won't happen until at least January.

Synless

fistfulofmetal said:
i have a cross game, cross console, cross everything chat.

it's called skype. works great
They have this on the PSP, I really don't know why they don't have this on the PS3 as well.

iceatcs

Shame ain't for me.
But I'm totally surprise how much PSN catching up on Live even it is still a free service. Now it has become comparable each other.

*DEVELOPERS* Fuck the voices! Pretty please make some of in-game character animation script for sign language.

androvsky

j-wood said:
To: Everyone blowing their load thinking this is coming really soon.

Subject: It's not

Message: Sony said 3.0 was the last major firmware update this year. If this is true, it will be a major update, and it won't happen until at least January.

Subject: Re: It's not

Message: Sony says a lot of amusing things about what is or is not coming soon.

Not to mention that, despite what some may think (GAF) CGC isn't as big a deal as overhauling the XMB a bit, adding more features and dynamic themes and increasing speed.

Fizzle

SolidusDave said:
mh in terms of games?

I think it's quite functional because you can start (and switch off of course) your PS3 from any Wlan connection your PSP can use (and I guess wired connections too if you connect your PSP to a laptop?) and therefor have access on most of the features&content besides games.

e.g.:

you have full access to Vidzone or your photo, music and video collection on the ps3 and connected external HDDs (and even your PC if it's on and connected via media steam)

someone who owns PlayTV can watch all of his TV channels and recordings on the PSP (and even start recording while your away from home if you forgot about a show etc.)

start your PS Store downloads away from home (e.g. from work, NSFW? ^^) and let them download&install so you when you're back home you just switch on your PS3 and play.

send PSN mails. (Video)Chats are possible too but obviously useless because you can't talk back ^^ oh that reminds me of a fun gimmick: plug in your webcam and you can use remote play for the surveillance of your room :lol

AFAIK the new Sony Ericsson mobile phone (and future ones?) allows remote play even w/o Wlan but over the 3G network.

so imo even if you exclude games remote play has a lot of nice uses for various occasions.

It only takes 8mb of the system RAM aswell.

androvsky

Synless said:
They have this on the PSP, I really don't know why they don't have this on the PS3 as well.

It's not on the PSP 1000, allegedly due to a lack of memory. That means the Skype client requires more than 32MB, which puts it somewhere in the astonishing memory hog category. Since it's still not on the 1000, I'm guessing Sony didn't write the client, so there's really no chance of a properly written version.

iceatcs

No way, but gaming remote play is still suck.

media remote play is godsend feature -
- PlayTV mean I can watch BBC Top Gear/MOTD/F1 and Championship league in anywhere in the world with wifi area.
- Play massive collection of MP3
- Only flash enable portable browser (Via Ps3 browser)
- I'm outdoor smoker (pot), this thing useful for smoke outdoor only

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom