• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Cross-Game Chat Confirmed? (Now delayed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Really, the only area I want Sony to feature match MS in the present is matchmaking servers. The netcodes don't seem different switching from MS to Sony, but the matchmaking is definitely slower.

Cross-game chat is a minor plus, but it's not something I'd use much.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
expy said:
So ND leak was a bad leak? lol

Sony is not unknown for changing their mind on fw features at the last minute, or more specifically their timetable for it.

I doubt this is the first time x-game chat has been pushed back.

I'm sure when the ND guy said that, it was the best info available at the time.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Jim said:
So, well, yeah...
http://www.gaming-age.com/news/2009/10/30-62
Don't usually pimp my own links, but I know other sites are going to grab it w/o a source

Not gonna happen in 2009 as planned.

EA: (laughs)

on serious note ,well they need to take their time and test it well before releasing it so it don't break games ( 3.0 and Uncharted for example ) , so I hope the delay give us better results next year.

Oni Jazar

That really sucks, with all the good news the PS3 is getting with $299, Slim, Demon's Souls, Uncharted 2, Ratchet, Netflix... having cross game chat would've just been the perfect icing on the cake.

Ah well, the good news is at least it's comming! Hopefully sooner rather then later.

androvsky

Funny thing is the only reason I'm interested in cross-game chat is for the other features the firmware team can concentrate on once that's out of the way. There's been too much teasing lately about PS2 emulation for that to be just a pipe-dream, and there's always the hope that the cross-game chat work will make universal in-game custom soundtracks more likely.

androvsky said:
Funny thing is the only reason I'm interested in cross-game chat is for the other features the firmware team can concentrate on once that's out of the way. There's been too much teasing lately about PS2 emulation for that to be just a pipe-dream, and there's always the hope that the cross-game chat work will make universal in-game custom soundtracks more likely.
They've been able to concentrate on other stuff for a while, I assume, because cross-game chat has been available for devkits since 2.80. Likewise with universal in-game custom soundtracks. These things are more of a debugging issue, I believe, and that's not all on the SCEW firmware team.

Norml

Oni Jazar said:
That really sucks, with all the good news the PS3 is getting with $299, Slim, Demon's Souls, Uncharted 2, Ratchet, Netflix... having cross game chat would've just been the perfect icing on the cake.

Ah well, the good news is at least it's comming! Hopefully sooner rather then later.

I wonder if that would work because you can't access the XMB with a BD movie disc:(

AndyD

aka andydumi
gofreak said:
Le sigh. Guess they were for real when they said 3.0 would be the last this year. Thanks for the update though, Jim.

I am guessing this too. They probably dont want to mess with anything around the holidays as the sales pick up and newbies start coming on board.

That and if anything goes wrong, you dont want people having issues Xmas morning with no one in the office to fix it until after the holidays.

AndyD

aka andydumi
see5harp said:
You could have fooled me.

I thought it was a different team/division/department/developer group that works on that stuff. One team does just firmware/API (I think in Japan), and all the content is done elsewhere (in Europe I think).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom