• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii emulator can do 720p HD

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Kyleripman said:
I'm also interested in this.

Edit: here are a ton of 720p Aquanaut's screens.
http://www.cynamite.de/_misc/galleries/detail.cfm?pk=1828&fk=99748&opv=gal&page=1&order=

In motion, this to me is the best looking game on ps3.

Now someone should try to match up those Aquanaut's shots to the best equivalent EO2 shots! :D

Yeah it really is gorgeous. So fluid and smooth, and the audio presentation really enhances it. Of course, EO/EO2 are quite gorgeous on the Wii as well. It's a good time to be a relaxing-underwater-scuba-submarine-photo-taking fan :p

Agnates

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
Yeah it really is gorgeous. So fluid and smooth
I thought Aquanaut's Holiday is plagued by frame rate issues? At least it has been on the user videos I've watched, but nobody around here owns it to check it out in person.

I have a copy of Aquanauts. Amazing looking game, no framrrate issues when I play, maybe you watched a crappy video?
I could try and take some matching shots but that would a) spoil EO2 by looking at the screens and b) require me to boot up the PS3 and play Aquanauts.

Agnates

Banned
I was watching videos like this, like at around 1 minute in, then at 2:17 again, and a few seconds later again, etc, in much of that footage. It wasn't even parts with anything much shown, no crowds of fish or fancy landscape or big detailed species. It didn't seem to be a video related issue to me but maybe I'm just seeing things.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Does the Wii Emulator run well enough to be a reasonable replacement for the Wii?

I'm thinking of splurging on a high-end PC and would love to be able to play Wii games in HD. Would I be able to set up a sensor bar/remotes to do just that?

IPoopStandingUp said:
Does the Wii Emulator run well enough to be a reasonable replacement for the Wii?

I'm thinking of splurging on a high-end PC and would love to be able to play Wii games in HD. Would I be able to set up a sensor bar/remotes to do just that?
It has somewhat spotty compatibility, and not all games have great speed, but you can use the PC as a replacement Wii for some well-running games.

However, you'll still need an actual Wii to rip the games. Plus, you'll need the Wii remotes and stuff... You can make your own sensor bar, or you can buy a wireless, battery-operated sensor bar.

Also, for some reason, some games (Sonic and the Black Knight comes to mind), the game is always output at 640x480. I don't know if that was fixed or not, though.

It's probably better to use it as a replacement Gamecube, though.

Edit: If you were to build a PC, don't do it just to play Wii games in HD. I don't think it would be worth it, considering the compatibility.

JADS

IPoopStandingUp said:

In a sense yes, but it highly depends on what games you are trying to play. Some games work really well, while others are a mess. I have played trough Endless Ocean 2 exclusively on dolphin and that was quite an experience. In order to get your Wii motes working you will need a Bluetooth adapter, a wireless sensorbar is definitely recommended as well.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Why would you do that? said:
Edit: If you were to build a PC, don't do it just to play Wii games in HD. I don't think it would be worth it, considering the compatibility.
Ya, I figured that would be the case. I have so few input slots on my TV that it has become a hassle to switch between the dreamcast and Wii so I figured it would be nice to just have a PC connected instead.

Though the main purpose of the PC would be to play Mass Effect 2 with a Dual Shock 3 controller and not have to worry about my room boiling up. (something my current computer does)

JADS

Why would you do that? said:
Also, for some reason, some games (Sonic and the Black Knight comes to mind), the game is always output at 640x480. I don't know if that was fixed or not, though.

It's probably better to use it as a replacement Gamecube, though.

That has been mostly fixed when using the directX plugin. You will need to activate EFB copy to texture and the EFB scaled copy to get it working. I had a similar problem with Rune Factory and Super Mario Galaxy.

IPoopStandingUp said:
Ya, I figured that would be the case. I have so few input slots on my TV that it has become a hassle to switch between the dreamcast and Wii so I figured it would be nice to just have a PC connected instead.
Seems like it would make more sense to replace the Dreamcast via emulation, rather than the Wii. Seeing as how any PC from the last 6 years can run Chankast and NullDC at full speed.

JADS

Bluemercury said:
Endeless ocean 2 crashes after the start button pressed, im using the latest version 5046.

Check if you have EFB Copy to System RAM enabled, if not you will have to enable it to get passed the intro. (Graphics -> Advance) You can turn Copy EFB to GL Texture after you got passed that part.

FJ0372 said:
Hi everyone, this is my first post on NeoGaf so I apologise in advance if I do anything wrong in accordance with forum rules. I've recently played through Klonoa on Dolphin which has been brilliantly emulated, I was able to play it at 60FPS pretty much all the time, it very rarely dipped below this, the lowest I ever saw throughout the whole playthrough was 45FPS for a few seconds at a time so it was very unnoticeable. If you already have it on Wii and have a PC capable of running Dolphin well, I highly recommend you play it on Dolphin. I've been playing it at 1080p with 16x Anti-Aliasing (MSAA) and 16x Anistropic Filter as well loading 'hires textures', as a result it really looks beautiful. Just to give you an idea of the specs required to run it like this at 60FPS I've posted mine below:

Processor: Intel Core i7 920 (Overclocked to 3.2GHz),
Motherboard: Asus Rampage II
RAM: 6GB Corsair XMS DDR3
Graphics Card: ATi Radeon HD5850 Black (Overclocked) Edition

My 1080p Klonoa screenshots below:

klonoa-bridgeshot45ab.png

klonoa-iceworld0144.png

klonoa-waterfallp4le.png

klonoa-firstbossfightrp2f1.png

klonoa-space6y3m.png

klonoa-suntemple22ls.png
*passes out*

JADS said:
Check if you have EFB Copy to System RAM enabled, if not you will have to enable it to get passed the intro. (Graphics -> Advance) You can turn Copy EFB to GL Texture after you got passed that part.

will try, what plugin opengl?

ATF487

scitek said:
Hey guys, is there a guide to tweak this thing to get the best speed out of it?

In my experience, it's best to go to the Dolphin forum and check out the recommended settings in the game's thread. I couldn't get New Super Mario Brothers Wii to run with more than 20fps until I checked the "copy EFB to Texture (hack)." I also have a feeling that there are no universal settings that will yield the best result; you're going to have to change from game to game.

On another note, what are everybody's specs? I'm starting to feel like my laptop won't be a true replacement for a Wii, as I can't get some GC games to run as well as I'd like.

I have a 2.1 ghz Intel Core2Duo (T8100)
Radeon 3650 HD /w 512megs
4GB of DDR2 Ram

It's my laptop and I can't really afford to build a gaming PC.

Does anyone know which settings to use in Dolphin to get Metroid Prime 3 running in HD? Got it running once in SD, but ever since I changed the res it refuses to load.

edit: I'll try the above.

Durante

EXCITE!

dolphin-2010-02-14-14-cpux.jpg

dolphin-2010-02-14-15-6p33.jpg

dolphin-2010-02-14-14-2qx3.jpg

dolphin-2010-02-14-14-9rzi.jpg

Probably still my favourite non-Nintendo developed Wii game, and the best use of the motion sensor outside of ball-rolling games. So awesome. 720p, 4xSSAA / 16xAF.

This is another one in the list of games with inexplicably high GUI element resolution.

Durante said:
EXCITE!

Probably still my favourite non-Nintendo developed Wii game, and the best use of the motion sensor outside of ball-rolling games. So awesome. 720p, 4xSSAA / 16xAF.

This is another one in the list of games with inexplicably high GUI element resolution.
Wait a second, when did that become playable? What plug-in are you using?

Excite looks great even for an old game, and the hud carries over well.

If there ever was a wii HD console, those games with higher then standard res huds will carry across very well.

Willy105 said:
About time we got some Excite Truck!

The trucks look great in 480p, but when it HD, you notice they have no modern shaders at all.
Well thats because in this case, the emulator isn't doing the shader effects on the trucks. Happens with a lot of Wii games that use some of the TEV shader effects. They usually have to be hacked in with special game specific patches. Mario galaxy had almost no special shader effects for quite a while.

Nabs: Curious, what are your system specs? Couldn't find if you had posted them earlier in the thread but I was interested to see what you have for a setup.

Bear

The environments look very nice going by those shots, but the lack of shaders definitely hurts. For those who don't know, this is what the trucks are supposed to look like.

excite-truck-20060914075914553.jpg

If they can get those working with Excite Truck (or Excitebots), they'd make great showpiece titles for the Dolphin. They're two of the best looking games on the console.

Durante

.:Wesker:. said:
Wait a second, when did that become playable? What plug-in are you using?
I don't know, it wasn't playable the last time I tried (some time around revision 3000). I use the DX9 plugin, and the safe texture cache option has to be on for this game.

Rich!

I'm hoping my new rig will be able to play the majority of my gamecube collection well/in a good playable state in HD:

AMD Phenom II X4 3.4ghz
4GB 1333mhz RAM
Radeon HD 5770 1GB

Timesplitters 2 runs flawlessly, full speed with sound on my current computer, which is a 2ghz dual core Dell Inspiron 1520 with 256mb dedicated nvidia graphics and 2gb of ram, so my hopes are pretty high for the new rig.

Bear

Is it possible to mess around with controls using Dolphin? I've always liked Metal Slug and I understand the only version of MSA that runs well is the Wii version (plus it's the only version I can find nowadays, and quite cheap too), but for whatever reason the game doesn't support the classic controller. I already have my Wii controllers hooked up to my PC for various games anyway, so could I map the controls in Dolphin to use the CC in games that don't actually support it?

Top Bottom