• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii emulator can do 720p HD

freddy

Banned
Datschge said:
As far as I can see this emu is causing people to invest in bleeding edge CPUs and GPUs to have the games run smoothly. Your machine may simply not be up to the task.
Eh, my specs are pretty much the same as post 2005 in this thread.

AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.20GHz
NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT
4GB RAM
Windows 7 (64-bit)

I guess it takes a lot of tweaking to run decently and only then on certain games.

Firestorm

freddy said:
Eh, my specs are pretty much the same as post 2005 in this thread.

AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.20GHz
NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT
4GB RAM
Windows 7 (64-bit)

I guess it takes a lot of tweaking to run decently and only then on certain games.
Don't download the latest stable release. Get the latest nightly build.

Why would you do that? said:
Using the green/red 3D glasses from Coraline (I had to put them on upside-down.... left eye should be red, right eye green), the 3D works wonderfully.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3661/3906040022_cf8abbf4a4_o.png

That picture right there? Amazing! Was freaking out about how amazing it was.

Edit: If you have a PS3 controller, you can use that on your computer as an X-input device, thanks to this:
http://www.motioninjoy.com/

That was disturbing...
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2456/3905258647_0545f50fdb_o.png

I should be doing hw said:
Really? That's a plus. Do I need to have an nVidia graphics card though? Or can my HD5850 do something regardless.
i think it's just the plug-in that has something to do with the 3d, not the gpu really

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Really? That's a plus. Do I need to have an nVidia graphics card though? Or can my HD5850 do something regardless.

Red/Blue glasses 3D doesnt require a special monitor or anything. Its when you do that fancy shutter glasses expensive stuff that you need a special monitor and Nvidia equipment.

Luigiv

Okay, so I'm confused. How do I enable the 3D? Do I need to use an external plugin or filter?

That one's also pretty great. Unfortunately, the snow areas don't work well with my red/green 3D glasses...
You could always just buy some red/cyan glasses off ebay. They're pretty cheap.

Struct09

Core i7 860 @ 2.8Ghz
ATI Radeon HD 5850
8GB DDR3 1600

NSMBW in 720p with 8x AA, solid 60 fps. That's right, got it working perfect without overclocking anything :D

Kruhex

Firestorm said:
Don't download the latest stable release. Get the latest nightly build.

Athlon X4 620
ATI Radeon 5850
4 GB DDR3 Ram

After I put SMG in to test it out, I'm getting in the very beginning 15-20 fps, makes no sense (I have the latest build, Windows 7 x64).

Brashnir

Kruhex said:
Athlon X4 620
ATI Radeon 5850
4 GB DDR3 Ram

After I put SMG in to test it out, I'm getting in the very beginning 15-20 fps, makes no sense (I have the latest build, Windows 7 x64).

SMG runs like crap for me too. (i5 750, Radeon 5850) Other games run better. NSMBW runs almost perfectly. Try out some more games.

also, make sure you're using the D3D Driver. OpenGL runs really poorly on the 5850 (and most ATI cards from what I hear)

Kruhex

Brashnir said:
SMG runs like crap for me too. (i5 750, Radeon 5850) Other games run better. NSMBW runs almost perfectly. Try out some more games.

also, make sure you're using the D3D Driver. OpenGL runs really poorly on the 5850 (and most ATI cards from what I hear)

Good to know but also sucks.

Another thing, have you ever heard of any games having flicker issues with higher resolutions? After playing paper mario a while back and loving it, finally got to try it out in this. However, if I bump up the resolution passed 800x600, the screen keeps on flickering all over. Any idea from you guys why bumping up the resolution would cause this?

Aside from this, I was stunned at how gorgeous SPM looked on this. However, the screen flicker is annoying and if I have to play at 800x600, it's no point in using this for that game.

Nabs

Settings and plugins now or die. :lol

it took me forever to get it from 20-25fps, but this is what i have:

Graphics: Direct3D9

and in there: change your res. and check enable cpu ->ef8
under the second tab, check ef8 scaled copy
under the 3rd tab enable ef8 copy, and check the second one (texture)

thats how i got it running at 60 and at 720p. i just randomly checked off things. didn't have to overclock either. now it feels like marios going a bit too fast :lol

cyberheater said:
And now the Wii emulator can do real time stereoscopic 3D with the right plugin.

Just amazing... Metroid Prime in 3D.

http://i48.tinypic.com/2wdmyj6.png

From a thread here:-

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=108217

More piccies here:-

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32634936@N05/sets/72157622201239681/

Cool, just the thing to make me break out the emu again. I tried playing with the images in stereophoto maker but they never look 'proper' like when viewed through the nvidia 3d vision viewer.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3367668/Dolphin01_50.jps
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3367668/Dolphin02_50.jps
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3367668/Dolphin03_50.jps

edit: Here's what came out of the converter thingy:

Dolphin01_50.jpg

Dolphin02_50.jpg

Dolphin03_50.jpg

Struct09

Settings and plugins now or die. :lol

Using Direct3D9, here's the non-default settings that seemed most important:

General
Framelimit off

Graphics
VSync on
Enable EFB Copy (to texture)

GWX

Struct09 said:
Using Direct3D9, here's the non-default settings that seemed most important:

General
Framelimit off

Graphics
VSync on
Enable EFB Copy (to texture)

How to get rid of the disconnecting Wii-Remote thing? It runs really well here with my Q6600 @2.4GHz and the configs you mentioned, but the Wii-Remote bug is annoying.

FJ0372

Hi everyone, this is my first post on NeoGaf so I apologise in advance if I do anything wrong in accordance with forum rules. I've recently played through Klonoa on Dolphin which has been brilliantly emulated, I was able to play it at 60FPS pretty much all the time, it very rarely dipped below this, the lowest I ever saw throughout the whole playthrough was 45FPS for a few seconds at a time so it was very unnoticeable. If you already have it on Wii and have a PC capable of running Dolphin well, I highly recommend you play it on Dolphin. I've been playing it at 1080p with 16x Anti-Aliasing (MSAA) and 16x Anistropic Filter as well loading 'hires textures', as a result it really looks beautiful. Just to give you an idea of the specs required to run it like this at 60FPS I've posted mine below:

Processor: Intel Core i7 920 (Overclocked to 3.2GHz),
Motherboard: Asus Rampage II
RAM: 6GB Corsair XMS DDR3
Graphics Card: ATi Radeon HD5850 Black (Overclocked) Edition

My 1080p Klonoa screenshots below:

klonoa-iceworld0144.png

klonoa-waterfallp4le.png

klonoa-firstbossfightrp2f1.png

klonoa-space6y3m.png

klonoa-suntemple22ls.png

Dennis

Banned
FJ0372 said:
Hi everyone, this is my first post on NeoGaf so I apologise in advance if I do anything wrong in accordance with forum rules.
No no, you did everything right. Great first post - Klonoa looks awesome - and welcome to NeoGaf.

papercut

I can't seem to select the D3D9 plugin from the graphic plugin list. I have the latest SVN build and the plugin dll is sitting there in the directory but I can't enable it (or see it at all) in the emu. I care because I have an ATI card and supposedly D3D will run faster. Any suggestions?

EDIT: Nevermind, had to update DirectX.

GWX

papercut said:
I can't seem to select the D3D9 plugin from the graphic plugin list. I have the latest SVN build and the plugin dll is sitting there in the directory but I can't enable it (or see it at all) in the emu. I care because I have an ATI card and supposedly D3D will run faster. Any suggestions?

EDIT: Nevermind, had to update DirectX.

Update DirectX.

EDIT: Damn, haven't seen your edit. :D

Struct09

GWX said:
How to get rid of the disconnecting Wii-Remote thing? It runs really well here with my Q6600 @2.4GHz and the configs you mentioned, but the Wii-Remote bug is annoying.

I've been using a wired 360 controller to play it and haven't had any problems like that.

Nabs

Struct09 said:
I've been using a wired 360 controller to play it and haven't had any problems like that.

damn. i've been using a regular usb controller, and it happens after 15 minutes or so :(

edit: i see you have to fiddle around w/ your game file in order to avoid this error.

After seeing how well the PS2 emulator runs on my PC, I want to give this a shot. Is there an easy download that contains most things I need? the PCSX2 thread had a link like that with settings, made it real easy.

ToastyBanana said:
Cool, just the thing to make me break out the emu again. I tried playing with the images in stereophoto maker but they never look 'proper' like when viewed through the nvidia 3d vision viewer.
edit: Here's what came out of the converter thingy:

Fatal Frame IV]
Has someone figured out how to get the translation working on that yet?

I'm going to build a budget rig pretty soon. Leaning towards an overclocked Athlon II X3 running at 3.5GHz or so paired with a 5770 and 2GB of RAM. That enough to run Metroid Prime 3, Twilight Princess and F-Zero at 720p or more 30+ fps?

Also, can I use mouse/keyboard for input on metroid?

Nabs

tatsunoko runs perfectly, you just have to enable full screen before starting to get rid of any stuttering. i don't have nmh2, so i have no idea how it's running.

JADS

mikespit1200 said:
I'm going to build a budget rig pretty soon. Leaning towards an overclocked Athlon II X3 running at 3.5GHz or so paired with a 5770 and 2GB of RAM. That enough to run Metroid Prime 3, Twilight Princess and F-Zero at 720p or more 30+ fps?

Also, can I use mouse/keyboard for input on metroid?

2GB of RAM is a bit low, F-Zero is a resource hog. Don't expect to run it on a constant max frames.

Mayor Haggar said:
How long before peeps get NMH2 and Tatsunoko up and running? Shit will look hot.
Tatsunoko? Now!
DolphinIL_2010-01-27_21-34-08-03.jpg

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Holy shit at Klonoa. Every time I come into this thread I get even more sad that I don't have a computer that can come close to running this.

JADS said:
Tatsunoko? Now!]

Very ugly. Definitely the shittiest looking Wii game in HD. You'd think a game in 2.5D, they can spend a little more polys on the models. At most they're probably rendering 4 characters on screen.

JADS

Cow Mengde said:
Very ugly. Definitely the shittiest looking Wii game in HD. You'd think a game in 2.5D, they can spend a little more polys on the models. At most they're probably rendering 4 characters on screen.

Indeed it is an ugly game to emulate. The texture quality is just downright uugh in the game, it doesn't look that great in motion either. According to dolphin the game is locked at 60 fps in the menus but 30 fps during the battles. I hope that's just the emulator messing up :lol The special effects are decent though.

Nabs

i got it running at 60 at all times w/ d3d9. turned off frame limit, audio throttling, and turned on vsync. i think it looks great in motion.

Agnates

Banned
Tatsunoko's best played in SD. The low res hides the bigger visual flaws :lol

Still, you'd think CAPCOM could have done some better work with these though, I mean, at most you have 4 characters on screen, a basic 3D background, and fancy mostly 2D effects. Surely each character could have at least as much detail as a Soul Calibur 2-3 or Tekken Tag Tournament fighter? Other genre games that render far more stuff on screen, on Wii, from third parties, have better looking characters than that, and that's still not good enough honestly. Wii can do better.

Here's a vid of SC2 GC on Dolphin, though this one has bad fps, etc, but the characters are lovely. Heck, even the first Soul Calibur on Dreamcast looks better.

Well, I suppose if you sat away from your monitor like when you play on a TV this would look nicer than standard Wii though. Maybe...

Oh well, in the end the game looks good in motion still... I think the rendering on Wii is a bit different and fancier than these shots?

Fantastical said:
Holy shit at Klonoa. Every time I come into this thread I get even more sad that I don't have a computer that can come close to running this.
Get a Wii. Good games as showcased here look pretty good still. Some (or many) jaggies but you don't sit 2 feet from your TV to play and notice lack of AF etc :D

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Using the green/red 3D glasses from Coraline (I had to put them on upside-down.... left eye should be red, right eye green), the 3D works wonderfully.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3661/3906040022_cf8abbf4a4_o.png

That picture right there? Amazing! Was freaking out about how amazing it was.

Edit: If you have a PS3 controller, you can use that on your computer as an X-input device, thanks to this:
http://www.motioninjoy.com/
Holee crap, I used this crappy red green paper glasses and it was like watching into a box. Goddamn I have to try this out now

Also, Klonoa pics look awesome

edit, ok now my eyes hurt

Klonoa is really a gorgeous game and it's unfortunate that it sold so poorly and has been mostly ignored in the video game press. They were too busy covering Call of Duty: Modern Army of Two Bros: Kane and Lynch.

Crayons

Banned
Wow, Klonoa looks absolutely GORGEOUS. Tatsunoko looks terrible though:lol . It was designed to be in 480p anyway. It hides the real flaws.

bridegur

I've asked this before without a response, but I'm still curious: Are any of the current iMac configurations capable of running Dolphin well in Boot Camp?

Top Bottom