• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Punch Out!! Wii on Jimmy Fallon show tonight?

Joei

BrandNew said:
It's been said before, but Conan took, oh, three years to get good.

It's just like how people here said 30 Rock sucked at first, Park's and Recreation sucked, It's Always Sunny sucked, Craig Ferguson sucked, and Jimmy Kimmel sucked when they all first started. You all hear what you WANT to hear from the show...

whatever. Not the thread for it, and I'm done talking about it.

30 Rock was hilarious when it first came out (and is still buttloads of awesome), Park's and Recreation 1st episode was pretty funny, and It's Always Sunny is and was awesome. However, Fallon is so bad I can't even bring myself to watch it, and I've tried a few times, but I've never found the guy remotely funny so maybe that's it. And his interviewing skills need a lot, lot, lot of work. I still wish I could have saw this tonight though. It seems like Punch Out did fairly well.

legend166

tetrisgrammaton said:
the jimmy fallon show is better than leno and letterman, and kimmel and kilborn. you guys are over-critical

woah woah woah

woah

woah

let's not say something we'll regret

cakefoo

BrandNew said:
oh lord, and here comes the fallon hate

gaf prejudgers coming in full force again.

karen-o is ugh
What, we're supposed to pretend like he's Cary Grant until the day/year he hopefully overcomes his stagefright? I don't know if he's going to even get any better. He might just be stuck like this due to genes. Based on old footage of Conan, he didn't become an instant success either, but I don't think he had as much onscreen experience as Fallon has when he started hosting the show back then.

UraMallas said:
I think it took Conan years before he really hit a stride and was consistantly funny. I don't think "giving someone a chance" is the same in all circumstances and I'm willing to give Fallon at least a year or two before I'd be willing to say I don't like his show. That's just me, though.

You're right, I'll tune in in 2012 to give him another fair chance. And if he has miraculously gotten better and less awkward, and the world hasn't been destroyed yet, I'll watch his show more often.

Till then,
See ya in 2012 Fallon

BrandNew said:

It's just like how people here said 30 Rock sucked at first, Park's and Recreation sucked, It's Always Sunny sucked, Craig Ferguson sucked, and Jimmy Kimmel sucked when they all first started. You all hear what you WANT to hear from the show...

Lol, who are these people and why do they lack a sense of humor?

Gbeav

Banned
That was horrible. IceT was a good guest.

She looked like some cyborg with all that makeup and the slanted forehead hairdoo. Then showing off the game it was dead silent and it looked irritating to play.

I'd call that not a very good start for his video games coverage.

legend166

See, watching that video just makes me feel bad for him. I want to know who they have doing the crowd warmups, because I've never head a crowd so dead than when I watch that show. It's horrible.

Is this an assumption? Kimmel was decent from the start. One of his first episodes featured him and Adam Corolla getting fucking wasted and deep frying random shit (ie wrist watches from the audience)

And even if these above shows sucked, it was in a much different way than Fallon currently does. He isn't having trouble finding his groove, he simply isnt made for this type of thing.

Even though Fallon was getting his ass kicked, Punch-Out!! looked like a lot of fun. The more I see of the game, the more I like it. The motion controls seem responsive and the art style apparently lends itself well to larger screens. I'd much rather see a talk show host play a game for a minute than watch a clip from a movie or television show.

DMczaf

t0re42.jpg

mollipen

UraMallas said:
Which is one more minute than any late night talk show has ever given a specific game... I think.

Conan played against a female tennis player in Wii Sports tennis if I'm not mistaken.

pakkit

Banned
shidoshi said:
Conan played against a female tennis player in Wii Sports tennis if I'm not mistaken.
I remember that. It was pretty bitchin'.

I agree though, hearing legit nerd-talk on a talk show was a bit strange. Kind of refreshing, though! Fallon doesn't play a lot of Wii, as made obvious by his mad swiping. :lol

rezuth

BrandNew said:

While it might have taken Conan 3 years to finally get accepted he was funny on day 1. Always loved how he keept mocking himself in the start, especially with his trip to Texas that he showed recently.

Son of Godzilla said:
Conan also screwed around with Rock Band a lot.

Oh yeah, quite a few times during the strike beard period. Some of his best segments came from the strike period, which really says a lot about a comedian. I'd like to see Fallon try and do a funny show with no writers.

Barrett2

The game looked awesome for being on such a massive TV.

Sometimes Wii marketing just works... this was one of those times.

punchout looked fun. jimmy said he played mike tyson's punchout before, so how come he seemed to have no clue about how punchout works? he just kept punching randomly into his blocks.

and since it's been brought up, I don't like the fallon show either. he's not funny or clever and he can barely even fucking SPEAK. I watched conan since the late 90s and now shit feels empty without him. all I have left is the daily show and colbert.

I don't like Jimmy Fallon, but I don't think it's fair to compare him to Conan's first few years. Conan wasn't a TV personality, he was a writer, he was struggling to make a show. NBC also never really gave him creative notes, or a budget, or help when he asked for it. It was basically him, Richter, and his staff throwing whatever they could at the wall and hoping it would stick. Fallon has none of these problems. Being a bad comedian doesn't change the fact that he's been on TV for a number of years.

That said, Punch-Out looks nice.

legend166

HorribleJames said:
punchout looked fun. jimmy said he played mike tyson's punchout before, so how come he seemed to have no clue about how punchout works? he just kept punching randomly into his blocks.

and since it's been brought up, I don't like the fallon show either. he's not funny or clever and he can barely even fucking SPEAK. I watched conan since the late 90s and now shit feels empty without him. all I have left is the daily show and colbert.

Don't worry, just over a month and he's back.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
holy shit, when elmo starting laughing when ice-t was laughing i lost it :lol :lol :lol

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I'm not even touching this talk about Jimmy Fallon, but Punch-Out looked ace. The animation is superb (that chuckle King Hippo gives at the start!)

Punch-Out!! animation is fucking incredible.
My hat off to the amazing animator or animators behind the characters. They have done one of the most amazing jobs in cartoon animation in a 3D game Ive seen ever.

An the elmo puppet...
So thats were they took the idea of Beni (an elmo laughing toy) for a show here in Spain called El Intermedio (its not a late night show, as it starts at 9 o clock and finish half an hour later, but it has the same format as american late night shows).

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
punchout is going to be one of the biggest sellers of the generation. I'm calling it. The level of detail and polish in that game is unreal. Combine that with accessible gameplay and the supposed unlockables for replay value and my guess is it's going to stick around in the NPD top 10 for at least 2-3 months and will be in the Wii top 10 and NPD top 20 for the rest of the year.

and yeah, elmo is awesome. you can thank kevin clash for that. the elmo puppet was around for years (I can remember watching him when I was a kid in the late-70s) but it was Kevin Clash who in the mid-80's gave Elmo his iconic voice and character (before that he was just a run of the mill muppet). I'm assuming it's Clash who is doing it on Fallon also.

Top Bottom