• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP a GO!?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Firewire said:
Where is everyone getting info on a new MGS portable ops?

Has this been confirmed?

Please say yes!

Yes, it's in the Qore video where they are talking about the PSPGo! and all the new games that are coming out for it.

Epcott

Guess I'll be buying a go. I still have the PSP1000 and the dust in the screen/dead pixel/bulkiness makes it hard to play anymore

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Someone with decent capture hardware should get their hands on this ep and take some proper shots. Aesthetically, at least, it's night and day seeing it 'properly' vs the off-screen shots posted.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
MechaX said:
That's cool but... I'd at least like to play the MGS saga too.

I guess if they emulated more of MGS4's controls rather than MGS3's, the controls will be a bit better. But CQC and camera management were just absolute nightmares in that game.
Yeah, you're right. I actually stopped halfway and didn't pick it up again until a year later. If there really is a touch screen, I guess they can fix it. But either way, I'm sure they'll come up with something. Maybe the gameplay isn't even like MGS. Maybe it's like Metal Gear. Now that would be megaton!

iammeiam said:
While I don't think the Lite or DSi fall into ugly territory, the DS Phat really, really did.

It also did something vitally important in that it provided a built-in way to protect the screens whenever the device was not in use. The DS family protects itself.

The PSP Go protects the controls and leaves the giant screen exposed; this is not a kid-friendly proposition unless the screen is virtually scratchproof.

This. If it was a shell design like the DS I wouldn't hesitate to pick it up. As it is now the most important part of the system is still left out to be damaged. Again, I ask all of those with original PSP's, am I crazy when I at this point feel more than fine with not picking up the Go? As the original can do everything the Go can except bluetooth.

Josh7289

It looks uncomfortable, actually.

But then again, the DualShock is uncomfortable to hold, as well, so I guess that's no surprise.

One thing I'm really disappointed in is that Sony seems to have coated the whole thing in shiny, which is horribly distracting to the eye. Really, they should have taken a cue from Nintendo and made it all matte.

Price will be the determining factor for me here. Along with if they've fixed the screen yet (interlacing issues + weird subpixel orientation that results in a 'scanline' effect).

LovingSteam said:
This. If it was a shell design like the DS I wouldn't hesitate to pick it up. As it is now the most important part of the system is still left out to be damaged. Again, I ask all of those with original PSP's, am I crazy when I at this point feel more than fine with not picking up the Go? As the original can do everything the Go can except bluetooth.
Yeah, it should have been clamshell.

Screw aesthetic issues, just make it work, Sony. Protecting the screen should be the most important thing.

Slightly better off screen capture. I'll take more if wanted.
15qrsq1.jpg

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Firewire said:
Where is everyone getting info on a new MGS portable ops?

Has this been confirmed?

Please say yes!
Sony dude on Qore says it will be announced @ E3.
The more I watch this episode, the more this seems like an accidental leak...this episode was supposed to come out next week w/out a doubt in my mind now. Holy shit.

Raide

Wii Will Rock U said:
My bet is they are making it LOOK like they fucked up big time but in reality they purposely leaked this to crash the hype train early and blow up everyone's expectations.

Interesting plan but is blowing your load just before the big night the best plan in the long run? If this is a "crafted PR leak" why would you do it a few days before E3? :lol

Firewire

Banned
Adam Prime said:
Yes, it's in the Qore video where they are talking about the PSPGo! and all the new games that are coming out for it.

Yes!

Please enlighten me on what other games they have listed? And will they play on a PSP-3000?

longdi

Banned
Shig said:
So explain the original PSP.

Wasn't Krazy Ken the one that said the messed up square button on some of the launch units was a 'feature'?

the square was a concession to make the psp launched with the bestest handheld screen. at that time, psp was the only handheld with a 4.3" 480x272 true 32bit colour screen.

I'm reserving ultimate judgment for a hands-on. The analog stick doesn't bother me since I usually play with D-pad anyways ever since 2000-model onward fixed it. The design is kinda eh and the smaller screen bugs me since I use PSP as a video player but I'm 50/50 on it right now.

zaidr

LovingSteam said:
Exactly. This actually increases my hype for Sony's conference. If they are letting the stuff like this out of the bag NOW I really wouldn't be surprised to see something as big or bigger be announced. Perhaps price cut for PS3?

I feel a bit disappointed still. Would have been one hell of a presser...
And I have to say that its not an intentional leak...I would understand leaking Sony releated stuff...but leaking Kojima's big reveal? I just don't see it...

JB1981

Is the analog stick not supposed to be used or something? It's so far in the middle ... I don't get it. D-pad looks nice tho ....

taku

Ether_Snake said:
Why didn't they put the fucking thumbstick in the middle of the d-pad?

Anyway it looks nice, I wish it success!
Wow, that is possibly the most horrible idea I've heard in quite a while.

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
LovingSteam said:
Exactly. This actually increases my hype for Sony's conference. If they are letting the stuff like this out of the bag NOW I really wouldn't be surprised to see something as big or bigger be announced. Perhaps price cut for PS3?

You know that's how you get disappointed by E3

zaidr said:
I feel a bit disappointed still. Would have been one hell of a presser...
And I have to say that its not an intentional leak...I would understand leaking Sony releated stuff...but leaking Kojima's big reveal? I just don't see it...

Wait. Who says this is Kojima's big reveal? Wasn't there talk of a MGS that has a combination of PS3/PSP play? Perhaps THAT is the big reveal and Sony is just announcing half of the picture?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
LovingSteam said:
Again, I ask all of those with original PSP's, am I crazy when I at this point feel more than fine with not picking up the Go? As the original can do everything the Go can except bluetooth.

I'm more than fine with my current 2000 PSP. I like having custom firmware on it, I like the screen size and I think the actual size of it is perfect. I can see how it can be difficult for someone trying to put a PSP in their pocket, but I usually carry mine around in a backpack or something (with the soft case) and play it when I'm away from home on trips and such.

I think the current 2000/3000 PSPs are excellent. I hope the new PSP Go is a success and Sony continues supporting the system.

Boss Man

Wollan said:
16GB internal memory (Memory Stick slot still there)
Bluetooth (no usb wires to PS3 anymore)
New design (obviously)
That's all very nice, and I love that it's smaller too (PSP isn't exactly portable IMO)...but I don't know if I'll be able to handle making my current games obsolete. Maybe if they have some sort of transfer process.

Also, something that hasn't been brought up. I wonder how long it will take to get hacked for homebrew and custom firmware? That to me is still one of the chief reasons I will prefer the original PSP. It will be interesting to see.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Lince said:
what do you mean? something like I could connect my old PSP to the PS3 and insert some UMD, then the PS3 rips it and transfers the ISO to the PSP Go but at the same time you need to be logged on PSN so it activates the game preventing from copying the same UMD to multiple PSPs Go and... forget about it, it won't happen.

I don't see any other logical way for it to happen then.

don't tell me you think they may release a UMD drive :lol

seriously ps3 connectivity seems like it for me

Kaako said:
Sony dude on Qore says it will be announced @ E3.
The more I watch this episode, the more this seems like an accidental leak...this episode was supposed to come out next week w/out a doubt in my mind now. Holy shit.

Just to be clear though, the guy does only say 'Metal Gear Solid', theres no definate confirmation that it will be PO2 yet.

Zilch

Banned
As long as the price isn't ridiculous, I'm getting one.

Awesome lineup, no boxes or anything to keep track of.

Damn. Sony is going all out with these redesigns. I'm all for a slimmer PS3 but this new PSP just looks too fucking weird. Are they really gunning for a download only model? I'm totally supportive of that model but I'm not so sure if now is the right time.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
user friendly said:
Slightly better off screen capture. I'll take more if wanted.
15qrsq1.jpg

ummmmm, doesn't look as bad in that picture, perhaps I should reserve some of my judgement until I see it via HD video or in person.

Adam Prime said:
I'm more than fine with my current 2000 PSP. I like having custom firmware on it, I like the screen size and I think the actual size of it is perfect. I can see how it can be difficult for someone trying to put a PSP in their pocket, but I usually carry mine around in a backpack or something (with the soft case) and play it when I'm away from home on trips and such.

I think the current 2000/3000 PSPs are excellent. I hope the new PSP Go is a success and Sony continues supporting the system.

BINGO! I couldn't agree more. I definitely hope for success for the new model and am ecstatic that SONY is really going full force with the PSP but my OG model has served me well. I am sure the new model will not disappoint.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
bhytre said:
It's ok, there will be a transfer kit for your UMD games you already bought.

No confirmations but it's been rumored there will be SOMETHING that will allow you to transfer UMDs. I've heard that it might be in-store type transfer station or something, but yeah it's rumored and almost guarenteed that there will be some system in place to transfer.

Top Bottom