• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA: Chinatown Wars heading to PSP

Cruzader

Banned
Search and didnt find anything about it.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=218007

New York, NY - June 22, 2009 - Rockstar Games, the world-renowned publishing label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO), is pleased to announce that one of the highest-rated handheld games of all time, Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars, will be making its way to the PSP (PlayStationPortable) handheld entertainment system. Developed by the award-winning studio Rockstar Leeds, in conjunction with series creator Rockstar North, Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars will be available at retail on UMD and digitally from the PlayStationNetwork in North America and Europe this fall.

"We're proud to extend this truly unique handheld Grand Theft Auto experience to PSP and offer a downloadable version of Chinatown Wars for PSPgo," said Sam Houser, Founder of Rockstar Games. "Rockstar Leeds has shown incredible talent in creating games that raise the bar in terms of depth and innovation on portables, and with Chinatown Wars we have a rich, fast-paced, and incredibly addictive entry into the series."

"Rockstar's work with the GTA series has been an enormous part of the success of PlayStation platforms," said Jack Tretton, President and CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment America. "We're excited to welcome the critically acclaimed Chinatown Wars to the outstanding line-up of great games headed to the PSP platform this fall."

Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars follows the story of Huang Lee, a young Triad who travels to Liberty City after the mysterious death of his father. Within the game, players will navigate their way through the streets as they uncover the truth behind an epic tale of crime and corruption within the Triad crime syndicate, delivering the unprecedented amount of depth that has become a true trademark of the franchise. Specifically built for the PSP platform with upscaled widescreen graphics, enhanced lighting and animation; and including all-new story missions; this version of Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars will take full advantage of the power of the PSP system.

How do you guys think it will do on the PSP?

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Hm. Guess the DS version didn't do to hot then. That's a shame. :/

Eteric Rice said:
No idea, sounds like it's PSP Go only.
Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars will be available at retail on UMD and digitally from the PlayStationNetwork in North America and Europe this fall.

Volcynika

Eteric Rice said:

Uh:

"Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars will be available at retail on UMD and digitally from the PlayStationNetwork in North America and Europe this fall."

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Eteric Rice said:

Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars will be available at retail on UMD and digitally from the PlayStationNetwork in North America and Europe this fall.

yeah those one paragraph press releases are hard to read

max-pain

http://ir.take2games.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=390972

http://www.rockstargames.com/chinatownwars/

age_gate_date.gif

That didn't last long...

Eteric Rice

Volcynika said:
Uh:

"Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars will be available at retail on UMD and digitally from the PlayStationNetwork in North America and Europe this fall."

Sorry, it's early and I'm in class. >_>

Loudninja

Drkirby said:
Same. Wonder if they will make any improvements are just a port.

Ah its in the OP.
Specifically built for the PSP platform with upscaled widescreen graphics, enhanced lighting and animation; and including all-new story missions; this version of Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars will take full advantage of the power of the PSP system.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
beermonkey@tehbias said:
Damn, Nintendo just can't hold onto third party exclusives.
Can you name anther DS game that was ported to the PSP after release? I can only think of simultaneous releases, and PSP to DS ports.

AH its in the OP.
Ah, so it is. Now to see if it sells better.

Stink

Hmm. Half the fun for me were the minigames and touchscreen elements. I think it will be a bit bland without these.

Agent X

It will be interesting to see how this turns out with the alterations they'll be making for the PSP.

Also, this is the first Grand Theft Auto game that's being ported to the PSP from another system. I remember some harsh comments were made about PSP's viability as a platform when the previous two GTA games on PSP were ported to the PS2...I wonder if those people feel similarly when it's the other way around?

Somnid

I was under the impression that this heavily makes use of DS features, and also does not look up to PSP standards. I can't say I blame them with the tepid DS sales but I can only imagine this will end with a bad second-hand port nobody wants.

I'm curious as to how they'll do this one. Mainly the perspective and the touch screen elements.

I'm sort of not really surprised that this happened, since the DS game didn't really sell all that great. LCS and VCS still sell like crazy - for PSP games, that is.

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
Cruzader said:
If it launches with the PSPgo, I think it will do wonders.

I'd like to think so, but I still think the piracy angle is an issue for PSP. Maybe even more than for DS.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Wow, that was quick. Guess the rumors of GTA: PSP 3 were true.

Was it because it was a bomba?

It's a shame it's going to be a top down game, I want a true 3-D game like San Andreas Stories.

thaOwner

Drkirby said:
Can you name anther DS game that was ported to the PSP after release? I can only think of simultaneous releases, and PSP to DS ports.

Ah, so it is. Now to see if it sells better.

It will sell better but no where near the numbers of VCS and LCS.

Pachael

Somnid said:
I was under the impression that this heavily makes use of DS features, and also does not look up to PSP standards. I can't say I blame them with the tepid DS sales but I can only imagine this will end with a bad second-hand port nobody wants.

Whatever happened to the long tail et cetera? ;p

DMeisterJ

Banned
Sho_Nuff82 said:
LTD sales will probably double the DS version by the end of December.

It's definitely going to do very much better than the DS version. Look at LCS and VCS. They both sold extremely well, and I'd expect this would surpass the DS version sales easily. It didn't light the NPD on charts, and didn't do that great in the UK either, whereas GTA LCS and VCS did do good in both, and even to this day, both chart on the PSP top 10 charts.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Loudninja said:
Why the PSP GTA games always sold well did they not?
I really don't know. I know the first one did, but I am not sure how well Vice City Stories sold, don't know anyone who bought the later titles.

Busty

Banned
No doubt this is some 'last minute' decision hence it's rushed press release and total lack of coverage or even an announcement at E3.

They probably have a small team working around the clock to get it ready in time. And even then it shouldn't be that big a task. Should it?

Cruzader said:
If it launches with the PSPgo, I think it will do wonders.

Agreed. A quick port to the PSP to be ready for the launch of the PSP Go could do great business.

Having a GTA game that's as good as a new title to the potential PSP Go customers is always going to do well.

Top Bottom