• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - July 2009 (VC / WiiWare / DSiWare)

mollipen

BikoBiko said:
Damn, I keep making boxes in my head now, game is addicting :lol

I just had a dream two nights ago where I was making god-damn boxes in that god-damn game. I woke up and wasn't sure if I should feel sad or frightened.

Unison

Htown said:
Oh I get it. They used the name Secret Command so they wouldn't have to pay for the license.

It also allows them to justify a $1 premium, since it's an "import" now! :lol

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Pulseman. :O If I wasn't currently two provinces away from my Wii right now, I'd probably be downloading it.

By this point, an import was pretty much the only thing that could have even slightly revitalized my interest in the VC. Or Cave Story.
Or EarthB--I know, I know. D:
The fact that we actually got two VC games is encouraging too. Of course, this is probably a one-week thing and we'll likely be back in the garbage dump next week, but let's enjoy it while it lasts.

Ranger X

OMG WTF A WEEK WITH A NICE UPDATE

THERE ARE 2 VC GAMES UPDATED HOLYSHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT

Now why don't you keep that up as a minimum Nintendo? See how easy I am to please?

Link Man

Banned
Dr. Zoidberg said:
Hmmm. I am very intrigued by this "Pulseman"...
I've been watching too much Futurama, cause I read that in your namesake's voice.

For those who have downloaded it, did they translate Pulseman to English? I got burned by DoReMi Fantasy (or whatever it was).

~10 missions into Ant Nation. Pretty fun, but pretty basic too. Little control over ants other than picking them up and putting them down someplace else, where they'll attack another critter if it's there, or start harvesting food, or whatever. You can help level them up by intentionally harming them (I had to check the online manual, but: hit A to stop one with the finger tool, then B to do damage).

Probably the neatest thing so far is now that I've got a few hundred ants, watching them all glom onto a cookie and carry parts back to their base in a nearly single-file line; looks very right.

I don't know what Ninty is waiting for. They could release some BEAUTIFUL DSi games, but they are just sitting on this. Who is going to pay two dollars for a fake Mario clock? I'm not.

Jiggy

Once I'm back with my Wii in about ten days, Pulseman is so mine.

Edit: You might never know its genre from the description, though--with how much time is spent talking about the story and how little about the gameplay, it could be an action game or even a Lost Vikings-style puzzle game in the eyes of someone who didn't know.

neoism

1z5iwbp_th.jpg

billy.sea

Banned
I think releasing Bit Boy a week after Bit.Trip is going to confuse consumers and hurt the latter series (if Bit Boy is having bad review apparently).

sfog

Somnid said:
Nintendo finally put up the new Wiiware for next week (7/14):

Hirameki Card Battle: Mekuruka (Tom Create, 1000pts)

RakuRaku Kinen Apori Wii: Kinenka no Isha ga Osheru Nanoka de yameru Houhou (SilverStar Japan, 1000pts)

Mebius Drive (Jorudan Co ltd, 800pts)

Kentei! TV Wii (Kosaido, 1000)

Looks like all Japanese indy games. Specifically I did a double take at the second, it's a application to help you quit smoking. Translated: Easy Quit Smoking Application: A Doctor shows you how to quit smoking in 7 days.

In addition to this, NoJ's page now also lists Fish Eyes Challenge (Reel Fishing Challenge) for today as well.

Damn those leftover points.
I bought 2000 cause hey you never know. Spent 900 on Pulseman which is all well and good but I didn't know what to do with the remaining 1100.

So I spent 600 on Zonk!....and it sucked.
http://pepsimanvsjoe.blogspot.com/2009/07/vc-look-super-air-zonk.html

The most important part for non-fans of my site said:
Where it gets just plain ridiculous is that despite all of the deaths you're likely to get the bosses dole out so many bonus points you tend to get a lot of extra lives. Heck beating the first form of the final boss will probably leave you with 9 lives. Should be more than enough to finish the game right? Wrong. The problem with the final boss is two-fold. For one you can't get any powerups and two(this is the clincher) the boss fires these projectiles that don't harm you but catch about 90% of the bullets from your pea shooter. This means that despite the final guy being relatively easy he can still wear you down and eventually take all of your lives away. Most of his attacks are fairly easy to dodge except for his homing missiles. They're destructable projectiles but since your pea-shooter is getting blocked that means you can't destroy them, but of course they'll destroy you. I actually went through an entire stock of 9 lives against the final boss, that's just how bad it is.

What a mess.

I picked up Pulseman and got Ristar along with it.

Spent a few hours with Pulseman last night and its blindingly awesome,
only played a level or 2 of Ristar so far but it seems good.

Its interesting seeing how these games are influenced by/evolved from Sonic.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
People, sell me on Pulseman. I remember trying this for a few tens of minutes a while ago and not being particularly impressed. What's the deal?

Pulseman just happens to get all of the basics for a good platformer.
-The mechanics are incredibly sound. Running & jumping is seamless and there are no issues with the controls. Every time you get hit & take damage and everytime you fall in a pit & die there's always a sensible reason behind it. There's nothing goofy like falling through the ground or slipping off of the edge, and so on.
-The rules of the game are explained clearly and coherently yet the game doesn't need to throw together a big tutorial that explains every little facet. If something new is introduced you can be sure you'll figure out everything you need to know within seconds of encountering it.
-The level variety not only shows creativity but it also shows confidence in the design. The designers never felt the need to go back or create outs for areas that thought weren't designed well(like maybe an optional path or a powerup that makes it easy for the player to traverse the stage). On that same note despite the wildly varying locales and structures the mechanics, controls, and abilities of the player are never compromised.
-The gimmick Pulseman is given is exceptionally well-designed and can be used as much or as little as the player likes. It also provides enough benefits so that the player isn't scared to use it when it isn't needed.
-Not liking this game makes you less of a man(or woman).

I want to like Bit Boy. But the "joystick" controls are just so so awful that combined with limited lives/continues, I've only managed to make it to stage 4 or 5 of 4-bit mode.

It's been a long time since I played WarioWare Smooth Moves so I'm not immediately ready to say that its joystick control was a lot better, but it also put you in much looser situations. With only 4 directions to go that it doesn't always get right, and enemies you're supposed to avoid running into... BARF.

I don't remember these lists ever being posted, but here are this week's top 20 WiiWare downloads in the USA:

http://wiiware.nintendolife.com/news/2009/07/top_20_wiiware_games_in_usa_15th_july

1 (3) - Reel Fishing Challenge
2 (1) - Final Fantasy IV: The After Years
3 (2) - Water Warfare
4 (4) - Texas Hold'em Tournament
5 (5) - My Aquarium
6 (17) - BUST-A-MOVE Plus!
7 (6) - World of Goo
8 (8) - Tetris Party
9 (7) - Family Mini Golf
10 (9) - My Pokémon Ranch
11 (-) - BIT.TRIP CORE
12 (10) - Dr Mario Online Rx
13 (11) - Defend Your Castle
14 (13) - Bubble Bobble Plus
15 (12) - Swords & Soldiers
16 (16) - Brain Challenge
17 (15) - Cue Sports - Pool Revolution
18 (14) - Onslaught
19 (19) - Bomberman Blast
20 (18) - Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King

* (N) - Denotes a brand new entry on the Top 20
* (-) - Denotes a game that was not on the Top 20 last week

Wow, I'm actually surprised that Reel Fishing Challenge is doing so well! Must be the impulse buyers with it being only 500 points.

Oli

I've been saving some points for Ica- NyxQuest and Cave Story, but I'm curious about Pulseman. For those who've downloaded it, is it worth buying some more points for it?

donny2112

Hero of Legend said:
I don't remember these lists ever being posted,

I've seen them be randomly posted before, and I think they'd be interesting to be posted weekly and to keep track of. Sort of like U.K. charts except without the ELSPA Sales Awards to provide bookends to the numbers.

Shamefully stolen from Eurogamer.

As reported yesterday, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a Darklord is the headline game on Nintendo's online shops this week, and the platform holder today said it would cost 1000 Wii Points (GBP 7 / EUR 10 approx).

Joining the Darklord on the Wii Shop are two additions to Virtual Console. First there's Musha, another vertical shoot-'em-up for the Megadrive, at an inflated 900 Wii Points (GBP 6.30 / EUR 9) thanks to the ongoing Hanabi Festival, which brings previously Japanese-only games to the West.

Smash Table Tennis for NES (600 Wii Points, or approximately GBP 4.20 / EUR 6) is another Hanabi import, rescued from the 20-year-old remains of the Famicom Disk System, apparently. Not one we've been crying out for but it takes all sorts.

Finally, DSi owners can grab onto A Little Bit of... Puzzle League for 500 DSi Points (GBP 3.50 / EUR 5 approx) if they're so inclined - a cutting of the DS original, which you may remember was based on popular block puzzle Panel de Pon.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/more-hanabi-imports-for-virtual-console

So any details on the actual pricing structure of FFCC? And wasn't the base price of FFCC cheaper in the Japan store?

Further thoughts on Ant Nation: It's pretty slow-going. Perhaps they intend me to be more sacrificial with my ants, but to meet the challenges without losing dozens of the buggers I spend a lot of time leveling up. They level up by taking damage. You can just squish on them individually to do this, but there are other methods you can use, too. Drop groups of them in the water for a while. Let them fight enemies. And the tools that seem like they'd kill them instantly but are pretty good for harming masses at once: shoe, flame, hammer (and more to be unlocked). So most of my time is spent bringing my ants CLOSE to death hopefully without actually killing them, then waiting for them to go back underground to heal so we can do it again.

The game says that different ways of leveling ants will result in different types of stat increase. They have HP, attack, and defense numbers. I haven't focused on one type of upgrade enough to say which does which, but either more recent ones are much more effective, or there's some type of behind-the-scenes breeding thing going on using my advanced ants. All ants start at level 1, and I've recently seen some level 2 and 3 ants that rival the stats I normally see on ants at level 6 or 7.

zigg

BooJoh said:
I hope Puzzle League Express hits North America soon too. I've been waiting for that one.

Me too. I sold off my full version of PPL off awhile back since I really sucked hardcore against any real players; I wouldn't mind getting single-player action back though at a good price :D

I can't check at the moment as my neice and nephew are borrowing my Wii, but has there been any European VC updates?... as in updates to previously released games.

I still have several titles that I can't play over Componant cables. Namely:

ExciteBike
Gradius
Kid Icarus
Super Ghouls and Ghosts
R-Type III: The Third Lightning

FFCC:MLAADL, then. You thought The After Years was expensive?

http://www.gamerzines.com/wii/news/ffcc-wiiware-dlc-prices.html

Controversy surrounded Square-Enix's recent WiiWare release Final Fantasy IV: The After Years after it was discovered that the paid-for downloadable content for the character episodes pushed the total cost of the game up to 3700 points.

We've been looking through the DLC for new title FFCC: My Life as a Darklord, and we can confirm gamers will have to pay a whole lot more than that if they want the entire experience.

600 points (and just 7 blocks of memory space) gets you a Beloved Wardrobe, which offers a series of outfits for protagonist Mira, each of which has some kind of in-game effect, ranging from more Negative Points at the start of a battle to one-off spells to make things a little easier.

Meanwhile, 500 points (2 blocks) gets you Darklord Special Forces - a host of powerful monsters to bolster your creature collection. There's plenty of fan service in there, too - Palom is available to summon for 200 points, while one of the additions to the Darklord Elite Unit pack is a character who looks surprisingly like FFCC: MLAAK's diminutive monarch. And one 20-block, 500-point pack gets you an additional post-game scenario to fight through.

The complete list, then:

Beloved Wardrobe - 7 blocks, 600 points

Designer Wardrobe - 6 blocks, 600 points

Darklord Special Forces - 2 blocks, 500 points

Darklord Elite Unit - 5 blocks, 500 points

Kain - 3 blocks, 200 points

Palom - 3 blocks, 200 points

Bedroom set - 1 block, 300 points

Living room set - 2 blocks, 400 points

Darklord Armoury - 2 blocks, 400 points

Vile Ribbon - 1 block, 200 points

Nightmare Tiara - 1 block, 200 points

Fatal Earrings - 1 block, 200 points

Gloomy Armband - 1 block, 200 points

Wailing Doll - 1 block, 200 points

Wanted on Vacation - 20 blocks, 500 points

A Fateful Clash! - 3 blocks, 500 points

The total for this little lot, including the price of the game? A whopping 6700 points, which - if our maths is correct - comes to around £46.90. Darklord's a good game, but is it really worth more than the average full-price retail Wii title? Decide for yourself...

Oooof. It's a nice game, and the extra stuff adds flavour, but if that isn't horribly overpriced, I don't know what is.

I don’t know, once fleshed out with all the DLC, MLaaK was pretty close to being a full retail title worth of value to me. In other words something I would pay $40-50 retail for. So if Darklord provides the same amount of fun, depth and shows the same level of effort I don't have a problem with it.

To be honest I like this model. I get to play pretty much a full game for $10-15, and if I really enjoy it and want to enhance/extend that experience I can pay the rest. If I didn't enjoy it I'm only out $10-15, no big loss.

I think a lot of the negative "rip off" reaction to DLC like this is the delivery method. Retail this full package of MLaaDL for $50 and you wouldn't hear as many overpriced complaints. Release the game for cheap and then release one big "expansion pack" later and there wouldn't be as many complaints. However release the game for super cheap and break up the content in bite sized pieces and it comes off as a money gouging rip off. Even though all these different methods would cost the same in the end, when the consumer look at it and thinks "look at all the stuff I have to buy just to have the complete game" it is perceived negatively.

BooJoh

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
Retail this full package of MLaaDL for $50 and you wouldn't hear as many overpriced complaints.
I don't mind them releasing it in bites, but seriously.. one summonable character for 200 points?

And I admittedly don't know the first thing about conversions rates or the value of points in Europe, but I tend to think of Wii points as 100 points = $1 USD (which is how much they cost here.) That means that - assuming the point prices are the same in North America - the entire 6700 point package would cost me $67.00, while a full Wii disc game retails for $40-$50 here. That's at least a $17 markup, putting the game's full price higher than the $60 MSRP for most 360 and PS3 games.

Somnid

D3 Publisher is starting a new branch of their @ Simple Series on DSiWare starting with:

@ Simple DS Series Vol. 1: The Misshitsu kara no Dasshutsu (Escape from the secret room)

on July 22. For 500 points.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Insaniac said:
well, I just bit the bullet and downloaded Minis march again and Boxlife. I expect good things, GAF.
good choice.

Top Bottom