• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Depression : Page 167
strobogo
(03-18-2013, 08:53 AM)

Originally Posted by RionaaM

This is almost impossible to do, I believe. Personally, I can't stop thinking about suicide every once in a while, not in a serious manner, but in a "What if..." and a "I wish I had the courage to..." and "It'd put an end to my shitty life...". But to actually decide to go ahead with it, that's what I feel is the problem. That's what everyone here should try to avoid.

So having suicidal thoughts, while not good in the slightest, is not inherently wrong. Attempting to do it is. So I'll rephrase your post: Please do not ever attempt to kill yourself.

I agree with this. Thinking and getting close to the point of actually going through it has actually saved many a night and been a massive relief. It can definitely be therapeutic in its own weird way.
Bagels
(03-18-2013, 10:13 AM)

Originally Posted by Cameron122

I think you're the one I talked to when I was going through a tough time (Through Skype.) Thanks!

Any time, man. Anybody who wants to can find me on Skype: gaf.bagels.

Great discussion on the height issue! You guys are amazing.

It's a good point about how being funny and self-deprecating can work against you when it comes to "serious" relationships. The funny, dependable guy is a great friend, but when it comes to romance, people seem to prefer assholes and douchebags.

I don't have a ton of great relationship advice (or advice in general, really), beyond people being attracted to confidence, because I honestly got very lucky and found a girl who saw my strongest qualities as great foundations for friendship, but also as the things she wanted in a mate. I look at my nerdy family and my nerdy friends and the guys more or less all attracted girls because of their sense of humor. There are people out there who realize how amazing it is to share your life with someone who can always make you laugh.

To steal Some wisdom from Pau, dating is a numbers game. You need to keep meeting people. Because the people who want what you have to offer are out there. There are people who only want to date tall people (or blonde hair or large breasts or whatever), but plenty of people think other things are way more important. You just need to find them. It's not easy, especially when you just want to hide from the world, but it's worth working on.

Man, do I ramble on or what?
Prez
(03-18-2013, 06:34 PM)
Has anyone tried positive affirmations to battle their depression? I wonder how effective it can be.
jmdajr
(03-18-2013, 06:37 PM)
I think a lot of time you have to put things into perspective. It's difficult because you only know your own little world, but there are people in other places that are going through some REAL SHIT. Sometimes you need to get away and see that your life isn't that bad.
Bel Marduk
(03-18-2013, 06:39 PM)

Originally Posted by jmdajr

I think a lot of time you have to put things into perspective. It's difficult because you only know your own little world, but there are people in other places that are going through some REAL SHIT. Sometimes you need to get away and see that your life isn't that bad.

You don't understand depression. Perhaps you mean well by this post, but you really don't understand.
Maddocks
(03-18-2013, 06:41 PM)

Originally Posted by Prez

Has anyone tried positive affirmations to battle their depression? I wonder how effective it can be.

I can only speak for myself, but I started telling myself everyday things I wanted to hear. It took 3 months but im in a much better place now because of it. It can help greatly. I advise it.
jmdajr
(03-18-2013, 06:45 PM)

Originally Posted by Bel Marduk

You don't understand depression. Perhaps you mean well by this post, but you really don't understand.

I understand plenty. It's tough to get the energy to get out of it, nothing seems enjoyable. Luckily I've been able to pull out of it without the use of medication. It was tough just being sucked into a negative mood constantly, but with time it became 50/50 and then 60/40 and so on, until you get to the point when you feel good most of the time. Bad things happen and get knocked back down. Can't do much but try again and get back where you were.

I'm sure it's tougher when people have no one to help them.

To be fair my thing is mostly anxiety, but I know a lot of times the two go together. Very similar symptoms in many categories.

Environmental factors in my opinion are incredibly influential. It might in the end be a chemical imbalance and some people are more susceptible to it, but what goes on around you is what triggers it.
You can't control everything but there is some stuff I believe you can. It helps.
Last edited by jmdajr; 03-18-2013 at 06:51 PM.
VanillaCakeIsBurning
(03-18-2013, 06:51 PM)
It's kind of funny what reactions people get when they reveal that they have depression.

To me it's not so hard to understand, and that you should be supportive of people that have it. But apparently others think that if someone has depression they're going to shoot/slice them up or something.

I have another session tomorrow and I haven't done a single thing I was told to do so I'm not particularly looking forward to that.
Prez
(03-18-2013, 06:53 PM)

Originally Posted by Maddocks

I can only speak for myself, but I started telling myself everyday things I wanted to hear. It took 3 months but im in a much better place now because of it. It can help greatly. I advise it.

Thanks. I guess I should give this a try!

Originally Posted by VanillaCakeIsBurning

It's kind of funny what reactions people get when they reveal that they have depression.

To me it's not so hard to understand, and that you should be supportive of people that have it. But apparently others think that if someone has depression they're going to shoot/slice them up or something.

I haven't had that yet. In my experience people think it's just being sad and it will blow over in a few weeks.
Last edited by Prez; 03-18-2013 at 06:55 PM.
jmdajr
(03-18-2013, 06:55 PM)

Originally Posted by VanillaCakeIsBurning

I have another session tomorrow and I haven't done a single thing I was told to do so I'm not particularly looking forward to that.

I have been pretty surprised about learning of certain people that have depression. It's like "woah, I never knew that guy had problems." The signs are not always visible. I guess you are right, most people expect some emo kid crying in a corner somewhere.
neojubei
Will drop pants for Sony.
(03-18-2013, 07:08 PM)
I'm going to quit my life
Bagels
(03-18-2013, 07:09 PM)

I know you mean well, but this kind of thing actually usually makes people feel worse. Depression is fundamentally an illogical disease - the hallmark is feeling bad out of proportion to your circumstances. I KNOW that many, many people have it way worse than I do. But that does not make the pain I feel any less real. It's phenomenally unhelpful to be told, "Come on! There are people with real problems out there! Just cheer up!"

Kudos on being able to overcome your issues, but many, many cases of depression aren't going to respond to that approach. Depression is an illness like diabetes, cancer, you name it. Why do people think that an illness is going to somehow respond to logic?
daripad
(03-18-2013, 07:10 PM)

Originally Posted by neojubei

No, you won't. You are going to fight for that sweet life you have dreamed of
neojubei
(03-18-2013, 07:18 PM)

Originally Posted by daripad

No, you won't. You are going to fight for that sweet life you have dreamed of

No
Collete
(03-18-2013, 07:21 PM)

No

I know I'm on hiatus but just for temporary post right at this moment...
Going to say this now, but thanks to you I actually think about and pursue my writing a little more than before.
Without your encouragement, even though I'm in my own hole unable to get out, you still got my gears turning on writing and pursuing my passion more. Thank you.
You told me your dreams of teaching in Japan before, it's still possible and everyone's here for you rooting you on.
Last edited by Collete; 03-18-2013 at 07:24 PM.
daripad
(03-18-2013, 07:29 PM)

No

77 You are a great person, you won't give up, you cannot just say no, you have to act, get some courage and reach your goals. YOU CAN DO IT
VanillaCakeIsBurning
(03-18-2013, 07:42 PM)

No

I have to advise you to not take any actions that would be considered rash.
DaFunk
(03-18-2013, 07:50 PM)

Feelin' very similar to this right now. Trying to just endure and improve, but then I think of how I have 3 years left of school, not entirely sure I'll enjoy a job in the field I'm studying (engineering), stuck at a shitty food service job because I really don't want to put myself in debt. It's just really hard to continue caring when I have years of this to come and nothing is guaranteed. Sorry for the mini-rant.

Been lurking this thread for a while, first time posting. You are all wonderful and caring people.
neojubei
(03-18-2013, 08:16 PM)
Look at it this way. I'd rather die the person I am now than to become a person who I don't want to become.
Last edited by neojubei; 03-18-2013 at 08:42 PM.
jmdajr
(03-18-2013, 08:22 PM)

Originally Posted by Bagels

I know you mean well, but this kind of thing actually usually makes people feel worse. Depression is fundamentally an illogical disease - the hallmark is feeling bad out of proportion to your circumstances. I KNOW that many, many people have it way worse than I do. But that does not make the pain I feel any less real. It's phenomenally unhelpful to be told, "Come on! There are people with real problems out there! Just cheer up!"

Kudos on being able to overcome your issues, but many, many cases of depression aren't going to respond to that approach. Depression is an illness like diabetes, cancer, you name it. Why do people think that an illness is going to somehow respond to logic?

Not logic necessarily. I just think environmental factors can help.... or make it worse, sure.
If it didn't matter at all, then only medication would be an option. I don't think it always is.
Last edited by jmdajr; 03-18-2013 at 08:54 PM.
Wilsongt
(03-18-2013, 08:26 PM)

Originally Posted by Prez

I feel silly when I do that. I can't look myself in the mirror and go "You look sexy today," because I don't.

I also can't look at the work I do and say "It may not be great, but it is getting there!" because it's not.

=/
daripad
(03-18-2013, 08:46 PM)

Look at it this way. I'd rather die the person I am now than to become a person who I don't want to become.

Nope, you are going to become a strong man who can get what he wants because he has will

Originally Posted by Wilsongt

I feel silly when I do that. I can't look myself in the mirror and go "You look sexy today," because I don't.

I also can't look at the work I do and say "It may not be great, but it is getting there!" because it's not.

=/

Those are your flaws, but you have to act to eat rid of them. Also you can make a list of the things you are good at, and these things should be repeated everyday so you feel better about yourself
Bagels
(03-18-2013, 08:53 PM)

Not logic necessarily. I just think environmental factors can help.... or make it worse, sure.
It it didn't matter at all, then only medication would be an option. I don't think it always is.

Environmental factors, sure, but saying "I should feel better because other people have it worse" gets you nowhere fast.
jmdajr
(03-18-2013, 08:57 PM)

Environmental factors, sure, but saying "I should feel better because other people have it worse" gets you nowhere fast.

I understand. I've been there too. How can I feel so crappy when so and so has it worse.
It sucks, because you don't want to feel that way. I did say people sometimes can only know their own world.

But do everything I can. Putting things into perspective is just one. If it can help anyone, I wouldn't totally discredit it.

Interesting. If so many people suffer from depression, and many some folks says.."you don't understand." Well, maybe some do.
Varying degrees? Sure. Oh well, it's hard to listen sometimes too.
Last edited by jmdajr; 03-18-2013 at 09:04 PM.
Bagels
(03-18-2013, 09:28 PM)

I understand. I've been there too. How can I feel so crappy when so and so has it worse.
It sucks, because you don't want to feel that way. I did say people sometimes can only know their own world.

But do everything I can. Putting things into perspective is just one. If it can help anyone, I wouldn't totally discredit it.

Interesting. If so many people suffer from depression, and many some folks says.."you don't understand." Well, maybe some do.
Varying degrees? Sure. Oh well, it's hard to listen sometimes too.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I get the deeper point, and I do agree that trying to get some perspective is part of the healing process. People have just historically reacted terribly to posts saying "hey, other people have it worse!" I bristle at that, frankly. Because it's so damn easy to write off depression as this fake illness - it's all in your head, just cheer up, etc. I get that you didn't mean that, but plenty of people have made similar posts and that WAS their message.

You're right about how many people are secretly suffering from depression. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to translate into any kind of better understanding across our society.

Still, I was floored when I "came out" to some of my friends. I thought I was really in tune with what depression was all about, but people I never pictured as having depression had in fact been hospitalized, were on meds, were in therapy. That was and is an amazing thing.

Thanks for joining our little community. I don't mean to jump down your throat or anything. Posts about having perspective just don't come across very well. There's a complex interplay between admitting that you have a real illness, a disease, treating it as such, and trying to get your thoughts in order and get that perspective. It's really fucking hard! I struggle with it all the time when I think about my own depression. It's much easier for me to see how real this thing is for the rest of you guys. I don't know why I'm so much harder on myself.
jmdajr
(03-18-2013, 09:36 PM)

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I get the deeper point, and I do agree that trying to get some perspective is part of the healing process. People have just historically reacted terribly to posts saying "hey, other people have it worse!" I bristle at that, frankly. Because it's so damn easy to write off depression as this fake illness - it's all in your head, just cheer up, etc. I get that you didn't mean that, but plenty of people have made similar posts and that WAS their message.

You're right about how many people are secretly suffering from depression. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to translate into any kind of better understanding across our society.

Still, I was floored when I "came out" to some of my friends. I thought I was really in tune with what depression was all about, but people I never pictured as having depression had in fact been hospitalized, were on meds, were in therapy. That was and is an amazing thing.

Thanks for joining our little community. I don't mean to jump down your throat or anything. Posts about having perspective just don't come across very well. There's a complex interplay between admitting that you have a real illness, a disease, treating it as such, and trying to get your thoughts in order and get that perspective. It's really fucking hard! I struggle with it all the time when I think about my own depression. It's much easier for me to see how real this thing is for the rest of you guys. I don't know why I'm so much harder on myself.

It's cool. I'm fighting my own battle, so I definitely don't mean to put people down,or make it seem that it's not a real problem. It's tough and it sucks.

I wish I was better at handling adversity. It's the type of thing that someone will say, there is 99% chance that everything will be ok, and yet I worry about that 1%?
Why? I disappoint myself acting like that. But I know what kind of things can trigger me, and sometimes I have to be honest, ..I don't try my best at handling the situation. I CAN do better. I know shit can't just be willed away, but it could be a lot less worse. Just feel that even though there is stuff we can't control, we can't give up on the things we still can.
Colin.
(03-19-2013, 03:34 AM)
My mood has spiked down today, I hate feeling like this. I just feel empty. I see and hear of others who are doing well in the world and have solid futures ahead, then there's me, a waste. I've excelled at nothing in my life and I don't think that's going to change any time soon. When you're growing up your always told things like "everyone is good at something" "you can be anything you want" what a load of crap. All I've ever done is scrape by in anything I've tried to achieve, I even fail at interaction with my own species, how pathetic. The only impact I make is using up the resources wasted to keep me alive.
RionaaM
(03-19-2013, 04:00 AM)

Dude, can we please not do the "Kids in Africa have it much worse than you, therefore you shouldn't feel bad about your stupid problems" tactic? Thanks.

Originally Posted by Bel Marduk

Sorry for the off-topic, but I can't help myself: I was just listening to the album featured in your avatar. "Coming back to life" never ceases to amaze me, I swear it gets better every time I listen to it.

Nope, you are going to live it and try to make it better. I really don't know if you'll be able to, but damn if you're not going to at least try. C'mon, don't give up. You've gotten so far, you could very well keep going until the end.

I'm going to tell you the same as I did to Oomikami: please don't do anything stupid. If you ever feel like harming yourself, come here instead and talk to someone. Send me a PM, or post in this thread. Then put on your favorite album (I recommend Cosmo's Factory by Creedence Clearwater Revival, or On Air by Alan Parsons), lay in your bed and let the music calm you down. But whatever you do, please don't make any stupid and irreversible decision.
Last edited by RionaaM; 03-19-2013 at 04:08 AM.
Windam
(03-19-2013, 04:16 AM)
I'm just a broken record. I don't know how else to describe myself anymore. Day in, day out, it's the same shit. Pretty sure the few people I talk to are sick of it/me, even if they won't admit it. I contribute nothing of value to anyone, or anywhere and all I do is ask for more; more help. I'm sick of being who I am.

Edit: Even this is the same. :/
Last edited by Windam; 03-19-2013 at 04:22 AM.
Smiley90
Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
(03-19-2013, 04:20 AM)

Originally Posted by Windam

I'm just a broken record. I don't know how else to describe myself anymore. Day in, day out, it's the same shit. Pretty sure the few people I talk to are sick of it/me, even if they won't admit it. I contribute nothing of value to anyone, or anywhere and all I do is ask for more; more help. I'm sick of being who I am.

If I was, I wouldn't be talking to you, would I. It's not like you're a classmate/coworker I can't ignore. Ignoring you would be the easiest thing in the world, IF I wanted to. But I don't. So there's that.
eddfromtheriver
Banned
(03-19-2013, 04:26 AM)

And what is that?, why is it so bad?.
cryptic
(03-19-2013, 04:35 AM)
What do I do Gaf.
No work, no prospects, bills coming from school.
This school I failed at, and I fear I'm just a failure because of it.
My parents always argue and cry over money and it hurts.
Where can I go to get away from this hell?
coldvein
Banned
(03-19-2013, 04:55 AM)

Originally Posted by cryptic

What do I do Gaf.
No work, no prospects, bills coming from school.
This school I failed at, and I fear I'm just a failure because of it.
My parents always argue and cry over money and it hurts.
Where can I go to get away from this hell?

become a buddhist monk
cryptic
(03-19-2013, 04:56 AM)

Originally Posted by coldvein

become a buddhist monk

I already am.
Bagels
(03-19-2013, 10:14 AM)

Originally Posted by Windam

Edit: Even this is the same. :/

Not sick of you at all, dude. I don't think there's a person in this thread who has a real handle on how much they are helping others.
jmdajr
(03-19-2013, 03:59 PM)

Originally Posted by RionaaM

Dude, can we please not do the "Kids in Africa have it much worse than you, therefore you shouldn't feel bad about your stupid problems" tactic? Thanks.

I had a lot more to say than just that..
Voyevoda007
(03-19-2013, 06:42 PM)
I don't usually post here. But I need to share this with someone.

I'm 22 (gonna be 23 soon) and I'm having a hard time. I picked a major that I love, but can't seem to focus enough to succeed in it. Most of my buddies have graduated and I still have a long way to go. Moving from a Community College, to a University has really killed me. It feels like a totally different ball game. In the past I could usually bullshit through the assignments and get a decent grade but I can't even get a C in some of my classes. I scared that the University might kick me out and I would lose my Financial Aid. Focus seems to be a huge problem since I was a kid, and recently I been told I might have ADHD/ADD. I'm not even sure. I feel like a loser to be honest. I want to do good in school but just can't seem to get my head straight.

My social life is not better. Most of my close friends are heavy drug user, I love them but I can't be around them. Never had a girlfriend, or any close relationship with a woman. I have a job, but the pay is not nearly good enough.

I want to change, I want to be someone who has goals and achieve them. But I lack something.
RionaaM
(03-19-2013, 07:20 PM)

I had a lot more to say than just that..

Yes, I hadn't read your posts by the time I wrote that. I'm glad you explained what you were trying to say.
Dice
(03-20-2013, 03:20 AM)
New findings on the nature of depression:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0318105329.htm

Which seems to align with these findings:
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releas...-ytd081610.php

We are on our way. There is hope for highly effective treatment.
Last edited by Dice; 03-20-2013 at 03:31 AM.
RatskyWatsky
Hunky Nostradamus
(03-20-2013, 09:39 AM)
I feel like we need to bring back scheduled chats. Both the Skype and Mibbit rooms are dead pretty much any time I check them out. We tried this once before but I can't remember what day/time we decided would be best for everyone. Thoughts?
Corky
Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
(03-20-2013, 10:53 AM)
Fuck yea!

You know when you think life just can't get worse? How everything you touch turns to shit, can't get out of bed, constantly sick, body aching and the one light in the tunnel is you thinking "well, it can't get worse than this so I guess I'll bump into something positive soon".

No.

It always get's worse, it's amazing really, you feel so bad that you can't possibly comprehend feeling worse and yet you keep getting harsh reminders that there is no light in the tunnel, it won't get better no matter how much you'd like to cling to that shred of hope or how others try to pep you up. In fact it will always get worse.
TUROK
Banned
(03-20-2013, 11:08 AM)

Originally Posted by Corky

Fuck yea!

You know when you think life just can't get worse? How everything you touch turns to shit, can't get out of bed, constantly sick, body aching and the one light in the tunnel is you thinking "well, it can't get worse than this so I guess I'll bump into something positive soon".

No.

It always get's worse, it's amazing really, you feel so bad that you can't possibly comprehend feeling worse and yet you keep getting harsh reminders that there is no light in the tunnel, it won't get better no matter how much you'd like to cling to that shred of hope or how others try to pep you up. In fact it will always get worse.

It can always get worse. But it can always get better, too. Life is full of ups and downs. I think it's safe to say that a lot of us in here have had way more downs than ups. I'm not really good at this encouragement stuff, but I implore you to wait for the ups.

I'm an extremely cynical person. Every day I feel like things just won't get better, but for some reason, I just refuse to throw in the towel. It's definitely not optimism, but rather a feeling that I just cannot allow myself to give up, that I just cannot let this sad and pathetic existence go to waste.

I hope you can find that one thing that keeps you from giving up, even if it's something as simple as just trying to stick it out for the ride.
Corky
(03-20-2013, 11:18 AM)

Originally Posted by TUROK

It can always get worse. But it can always get better, too. Life is full of ups and downs. I think it's safe to say that a lot of us in here have had way more downs than ups. I'm not really good at this encouragement stuff, but I implore you to wait for the ups.

I'm an extremely cynical person. Every day I feel like things just won't get better, but for some reason, I just refuse to throw in the towel. It's definitely not optimism, but rather a feeling that I just cannot allow myself to give up, that I just cannot let this sad and pathetic existence go to waste.

I hope you can find that one thing that keeps you from giving up, even if it's something as simple as just trying to stick it out for the ride.

I've waited for what feels like a lifetime, and not on my ass mind you I've honestly tried making it better but my life keeps getting worse. See that's the problem, for once I can understand a part of this hell, if I had been in bed and just trying to 'wait everything out' then sure I wouldn't be surprised when it all inevitably goes to shit. But when you actively try to make it better and yet not a single thing improves... well that just hurts.

Yeah I used to feel the same, that I won't give up as this miserable existence needs to be turned around and put to some use... but that's long gone I literally don't care anymore.

Eh don't worry, screw the encouragement stuff, I'm starting to feel that's the worst thing about this : people telling me 'it will get better', no it won't, why should it better? Random chance? Giving people false hope is bloody cruel, from now on if anyone asks me about things related to depression or w/e I'm gonna be brutally honest. No point in lying to yourselves/others. Yeah maybe it gets better for some, kudos to them though.
brolster
(03-20-2013, 04:17 PM)
I just visited the doctor and she had diagnosed me with depression and adhd. She gave me a choice between an antidepressant that could help me focus in school or adderall. I chose adderall because Im not doing too well in school so I wanted to get 'quick fix'. I'm just wondering if anyone had/is taking adderall or some suggestions on how not to get addicted whether or not to take it everyday etc. I also see a therapist once a week if that helps
Collete
(03-20-2013, 04:58 PM)
Drowning...again...and again. It won't stop till I wither away...
"Hello darkness, my old friend".
BruiserBear
Banned
(03-20-2013, 05:04 PM)

Originally Posted by Corky

I've waited for what feels like a lifetime, and not on my ass mind you I've honestly tried making it better but my life keeps getting worse. See that's the problem, for once I can understand a part of this hell, if I had been in bed and just trying to 'wait everything out' then sure I wouldn't be surprised when it all inevitably goes to shit. But when you actively try to make it better and yet not a single thing improves... well that just hurts.

Yeah I used to feel the same, that I won't give up as this miserable existence needs to be turned around and put to some use... but that's long gone I literally don't care anymore.

Eh don't worry, screw the encouragement stuff, I'm starting to feel that's the worst thing about this : people telling me 'it will get better', no it won't, why should it better? Random chance? Giving people false hope is bloody cruel, from now on if anyone asks me about things related to depression or w/e I'm gonna be brutally honest. No point in lying to yourselves/others. Yeah maybe it gets better for some, kudos to them though.

If someone could magically change one thing in your life right now, what would it be?
Corky
(03-20-2013, 05:42 PM)

Originally Posted by BruiserBear

If someone could magically change one thing in your life right now, what would it be?

It's actually very simple, turn back the clock 6 years so I'm 20 again without losing the thoughts and memories of what made my shitty fucking pointless life end up the way it did and I'd be the happiest guy on Earth. But yeah, magic and all that.
canoli2006
(03-20-2013, 05:47 PM)
Girlfriend broke up with me and not properly dealing with the death of my father is causing me to be very unhappy and I think I am battling a little depression and anxiety. I do have suicidal thoughts but its nothing beyond thoughts. I would never do that to my mother. There is however a little discomfort in my chest that's beginning to alarm me. I made an appt with the VA today but its not until May 7th. Maybe I can get on a low dose antidepressant or something. I think it would benefit me to talk to a therapist or make some positive contacts in this thread. I am functioning though like going to work and classes.
Seanspeed
(03-20-2013, 06:22 PM)

Originally Posted by Voyevoda007

I don't usually post here. But I need to share this with someone.

I'm 22 (gonna be 23 soon) and I'm having a hard time. I picked a major that I love, but can't seem to focus enough to succeed in it. Most of my buddies have graduated and I still have a long way to go. Moving from a Community College, to a University has really killed me. It feels like a totally different ball game. In the past I could usually bullshit through the assignments and get a decent grade but I can't even get a C in some of my classes. I scared that the University might kick me out and I would lose my Financial Aid. Focus seems to be a huge problem since I was a kid, and recently I been told I might have ADHD/ADD. I'm not even sure. I feel like a loser to be honest. I want to do good in school but just can't seem to get my head straight.

My social life is not better. Most of my close friends are heavy drug user, I love them but I can't be around them. Never had a girlfriend, or any close relationship with a woman. I have a job, but the pay is not nearly good enough.

I want to change, I want to be someone who has goals and achieve them. But I lack something.

I'd offer advice, but its all pointless. So easy to say, "Just tough it out", "Put in some extra effort", "Go and join some clubs" or whatever, but its nothing you haven't thought through before, I'm sure.

I just didn't want your post to be ignored. I'm not trying to do the whole 'pity' thing, but I wanted to say good luck, at least. It sucks when you feel no one is listening.
Smiley90
Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
(03-20-2013, 06:31 PM)
I feel like it's worth pointing out that by simply saying "I want to change" you already HAVE a goal in life, however minor you migh think it is. It's a start.

I feel like such an emotional trainwreck atm, with no (emotional) purpose I'm just clinging to fleeting people/events and start building emotional connections to them that I know won't last, so I'll be let down again right away and feel bad. I don't know what to do with my emotions :/