• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Platinum Games Title - Vanquish (Mikami TPS, PS3/360, Winter 2010)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TunaLover

wsippel said:
Weird. It was on their flickr page a few days ago - now it's gone. I believe I rehosted it somewhere, though. I'll post it as soon as I find it.

EDIT: Here you go - it's tiny so you might want to enlarge it somehow:

2mxibyt.jpg

That was not an official company statement. It was a guess by some random studio director at Sega USA. It's also wrong - according to Sega. Because they were actually not really all that disappointed.
How old is that pic? It could have been used for MadWorld, or it just sit there since its development, but then again I don't see the point Platinum Games panic about it and shut down the pic, if anything this action expose them more about the platform :lol

TunaLover said:
How old is that pic? It could have been used for MadWorld, or it just sit there since its development, but then again I don't see the point Platinum Games panic about it and shut down the pic, if anything this action expose them more about the platform :lol

It's The Last Story all over again indeed; both leak a pic hinting at Wii being the platform, then they try to cover it up, which only adds to the evidence. ;)

TunaLover

Hero of Legend said:
It's The Last Story all over again indeed; both leak a pic hinting at Wii being the platform, then they try to cover it up, which only adds to the evidence. ;)
It kinda happen with Epic Mickey too, the platform was covered at the very last, it smell NDA, Nintendo is very picky about that. Worst case scenario (for Wii) Platinum Games is probably making another game for the console =P

nicholasbrutal

Epic Games PR Manager
wsippel said:
Weird. It was on their flickr page a few days ago - now it's gone. I believe I rehosted it somewhere, though. I'll post it as soon as I find it.

EDIT: Here you go - it's tiny so you might want to enlarge it somehow:

2mxibyt.jpg

That was not an official company statement. It was a guess by some random studio director at Sega USA. It's also wrong - according to Sega. Because they were actually not really all that disappointed.

SPECULATION AND INTERNET SLEUTHING: Vanquish may feature Will Smith reprising his role as Muhammad Ali!

(If you look really close, you can see an Ali poster on the wall. Do you think this is true guys!?)

(No seriously... really?)

I honestly doubt it's for Wii at all. Multiplatform or not.
Not because of sales of Madworld or anything (seeing as this game was far into production before Madworld released), but just because I think it'll be a PS3 game that's ported to 360 by Sega.

They make a game for Wii. A game for 360. Now they have a game for PS3.

nicholasbrutal said:
SPECULATION AND INTERNET SLEUTHING: Vanquish may feature Will Smith reprising his role as Muhammad Ali!

(If you look really close, you can see an Ali poster on the wall. Do you think this is true guys!?)

(No seriously... really?)

Robo Ali is leader of the alien invasion, duh.

wsippel said:

Would you say the picture Vanished? We have a game called Vanish. We have no information on what console it's for. Suddenly, a picture appears online with a console there, but it vanished just as quickly. Seems like they're giving us hints.

I don't really care. I don't even know WTF it is.

TreIII

AceBandage said:
I honestly doubt it's for Wii at all. Multiplatform or not.
Not because of sales of Madworld or anything (seeing as this game was far into production before Madworld released), but just because I think it'll be a PS3 game that's ported to 360 by Sega.

They make a game for Wii. A game for 360. Now they have a game for PS3.

Well, all we know right now, is that a PS3 version is indeed confirmed, via the "Meeting Bullets" that were leaked. Whatever else happens, happens.

Any way, I'm wondering when we stand to see more on this game. Having to wait 30 days for just a teaser is well, indeed a tease! :lol

robor

How do you think it will go down? Nothing more until this E3? Maybe a little prior to? I may sound a little selfish here but I seriously need something sooner then that, but I know this industry too well..............or maybe (hopefully) not.

wsippel

Banned
TunaLover said:
I believe it was posted when Platinum announced that Mikami assembled a team and started working on his project. Late 2008/ early 2009 or something? I don't remember. Anyway, it's probably related to either Mad World or maybe the EA Partners project.

Lakitu

st5fu
Great, finally a Mikami game, been waiting for this for ages. Doesn't look like the most original from the trailer but ah well.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It seems that the game is a shooter and is being unveiled in the next OPM:

SegaBits said:
It seems that both rumors might be correct, according to the Official Playstation Magazine podcast.

“Next time we’ll be talking shooters with Ghost Recon: Future Soldier, Vanquish and another very special game yet to be announced.”
Source: http://www.segabits.com/?p=281

TreIII

This came from the P* forums.

New Info from one of the CG designers!

Ok all you folks,

Here is the scoop........ and I think that I can help correct those inaccurate guesses....definitely it's going through SEGA. The video you see is a teaser trailer. That is all you are going to get until the powers that be release more... hehe.... As you can see by my avatar. that's me, Paul Wendling. I am also listed in the credits as the costume designer, but what you perhaps didn't know is that for me it's basically an Ironman situation come to real life. I designed the action suit, I personally built that suit, I then acted in that suit, I did all my own stunts in that suit. (3 days of filming) The undergarment is actually (according to the script) an augmented neuro controlled artificial musculature, similar to the robots in I Robot. Then the protective over armour is placed to help protect the main heart of where the strength comes from, namely the muscle undersuit. The main character, Sam, is a secret DARPA lab weapons designer, and when he hears about the destruction, takes it on himself to go out and use his development, and kick some Russian tech and grunt butts.

I can't reveal more until I'm permitted, but if you have any questions about the suit construction, or filming, I'd be happy to oblige.

The trailer is a mix of live action and cgi, but everywhere you see Sam in or out of his suit, that is me doing the acting and stunts, all LIVE and REAL, with air cannons throwing debris, jump rigging, being blown away by explosions, etc. with cgi cleanup and augmentation of some elements like the last blast fling. All backgrounds were cgi of course, but the suit has some new twists, that NO other shooter character has, and you guys will go ape over some new moves..... think perhaps Metroid for a hint(but keeping to actual workable real life physics), and another hint... those curious items on the thighs...... let's just say that you will have to have 3 hands on gameplay to really master the possibilities of unheard of before moves. Another hint, those big forearm bulges in the armor... hide some really cool things as well

As to the comments about the faceplate covering the mouth, not the eyes..... The blue plate is a nano barrier for breathing, the helmet actually totally opens and closes up in a segmented fashion (think the helmets from Lost in Space, or Stargate.) The vision is not through glass, but I'm looking at displays projected onto the eyes, which are fed from multiple sensors over the helmet.

I've got tons of pics from filming. The suit was hell to do all the stunts in, altogether weighed about 40 pounds, the gun weighed another 12 pounds. Aaannnnd when I'm released to be able to do so, I have all the molds..... anyone want a ridiculously expensive Video game hero suit for this upcoming halloween?

All the best,
Paul Wendling
Art Models and Props Inc
modelsandprops@hotmail.com

Picture-044.gif

Picture-069s.gif

Awesome stuff, imo.

But the "3 hands" gameplay remark? ...Tank controls, confirmed? :lol

TreIII said:
But the "3 hands" gameplay remark? ...Tank controls, confirmed? :lol

When I read that comment I was actually thinking motion controls. Like Natal. As Natal can track movement of your entire body so you could use your hands and legs or something. That's just wild speculation though. I can't wait to see gameplay from this game.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
When I read that comment, I was thinking he was being sarcastic and you won't actually need 3 hands.

Dascu said:
So far for the "Vanquish is a Wii game" speculation.

Like I said before, it's likely a PS3 game, that will be ported to 360.
PG had a Wii game (MadWorld) a 360 game (Bayonetta) and now a PS3 game (Vanquish).

Dascu

AceBandage said:
Like I said before, it's likely a PS3 game, that will be ported to 360.
PG had a Wii game (MadWorld) a 360 game (Bayonetta) and now a PS3 game (Vanquish).
Don't try to hide it, GP. I can feel your pain.

Funny how Shinji Mikami was the one with the (alleged) dislike of the PlayStation.

Dascu said:
Don't try to hide it, GP. I can feel your pain.

Funny how Shinji Mikami was the one with the (alledged) dislike of the PlayStation.

Pain of what?
I get to play all these games.
:p
Still, I'm really hoping they reveal something special for this game, because so far, its reveal has been very cold.

Sounds cool. I have no idea what the three hands thing means. Looking forward to this a great deal, though... I like the sound of the protagonist, Sam, and I'm glad so much thought is going into the suit design (and that it'll apparently be capable of so much).

Dascu

AceBandage said:
Pain of what?
I get to play all these games.
:p
Still, I'm really hoping they reveal something special for this game, because so far, its reveal has been very cold.
Oh right, you have a PS3. Or so you claim.

You're not fooling anyone, acebandagejr

Swittcher

Banned
Dark Machine said:
Oh my that game promised so damn much, then I played it....

Please tell me what it promised, again?

PN03 was a shooter, a shmup in 3rd person, that's it. Anyone hoping for a sexy GCN DMC was not getting that, and I really don't recall Capcom ever marketing it as such.

TreIII

Swittcher said:
Please tell me what it promised, again?

PN03 was a shooter, a shmup in 3rd person, that's it. Anyone hoping for a sexy GCN DMC was not getting that, and I really don't recall Capcom ever marketing it as such.

To be fair, there was that first trailer released for the game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUXlHwhaAHU

She had a gun, sexy gun fu antics and all that jazz. It certainly LOOKED like it could have been a "sexy GCN DMC" at that point in time. So I can see how people would be let down as time went on, and more details about the game came to light. Ah well. 8D

Any way, at least we have PSM to look towards. Wouldn't be surprised if GDC has some nice goodies planned too, at this point.

Boerseun

Banned
P.N.03 is a truly amazing game. Beautiful controls, beautiful art design, and a brilliant shmup all around.

Similarities between Vanquish teaser and P.N.03:

*Lead character design is very similar
*Only robot enemies (no humans)
*Enemies are similar in design and behaviour to those in P.N.03 (but on a larger scale)
*Industrial setting
*Lots of movement to avoid incoming fire
*Images have a monochrome, colour-drained look to them
*Theme of nature having been ousted or supplanted by technology
*Mysterious female authority figure that relays news
*Shinji Mikami is involved

Anything else?

KTallguy

Banned
I really like that quote from Famitsu that duckroll wrote, I'll put it here:

duckroll said:
More details on Vanquish:

The game setting is a near-future war between US and Russia. By setting it in the future, Mikami can use robots and high tech stuff to make the game more interesting. He says the reason why the enemies are all robots is because he wants to allow players who do not like shooting other humans to be able to play and appreciate the gameplay in shooters as well. The mech suit features a high speed booster which allows you to very quickly boost next to enemies to pull off close range attacks. There are a large variety of close range attacks moves in the game. There is a balance between using cover and using the boost, but it is definitely not a pure cover shooter. You do not pick up and change weapons in the game, instead your weaponry is part of the suit and it all transforms in realtime into different sorts of weapons. The game is about 80% complete, and they're working on refining the AI for both allies and enemes at the moment. There is a demo planned, and the game will be released in winter 2010.

Sounds great!

deleted

Wow its 80 % done already? That´s great, I thought we had to wait until 2011 to play this.

Sounds really interesting and as many have pointed out already, like a merging of P.N.03s style and a japanese take on 3rd person cover shooter. Can´t wait to see some gameplay footage.

Feindflug

I just saw the scans which weren't the best quality but graphics-wise the game looks really good.

As a big fan of P.N.03 I can't wait to see the game in action especially after reading the details from the latest Famitsu thanks to duckroll. :D

SecretBonusPoint said:
Just seen scans.

- SPARKS!!!
- Some insane boosting looking mode.
- The robot is exploding from his fist.

This is madness. This is GunHand (i dream?).

Any idea if it's multi-plat yet?

Oh wait. It looks like it is a WII game.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Revelations said:
Any idea if it's multi-plat yet?
Revealed to be Xbox 360/PS3 and coming Winter 2010.

I'm not sure if Winter 2010 means October-December 2010 or Late December 2010 - Late March 2011 though.

Revelations said:
Oh. Was just looking at the scans and it looks kinda like a wii title. :)

It looks nothing like a Wii title. The lighting and level geometry alone indicates this, and they are super-blurry pics so perhaps judging graphic fidelity through that is hurrrrrrr BUMS BUMS BUMS durrrrrrr

SecretBonusPoint said:
It looks nothing like a Wii title. The lighting alone indicates this, and they are super-blurry pics so perhaps judging graphic fidelity through that is BUMS BUMS BUMS

I was more referring to the one image where the suit was a full bright white and had no kind of detail on it anywhere. It was a first glance type of thing though.

Revelations said:
I was more referring to the one image where the suit was a full bright white and had no kind of detail on it anywhere. It was a first glance type of thing though.

Oh you mean the photograph of a real-life model and Mikami standing next to it?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Revelations said:
I think that shot might actually be an extremely, extremely blurry version of the live action/cg trailer, since the suit in all the screenshots has a different color palette.

Edit:

SecretBonusPoint said:
Oh you mean the photograph of a real-life model and Mikami standing next to it.
Yes, that's what I think too.

Super Wii Confirmed! :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom