• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Platinum Games Title - Vanquish (Mikami TPS, PS3/360, Winter 2010)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vespa

yencid said:
theres armor there?

1258347370852.jpg
2gv92d0.gif

wsippel

Banned
Bel Marduk said:
Link? I really think this is going to be an HD game but then again this whole Wii display thing happened with Mistwalker too and now they're making a Wii game...not this is the same scenario though...

I'd find it weird they would have a live action trailer for a Wii game when the game obviously won't be as realistic on the Wii as the HD consoles. It would be funny if it did turn out to be a Wii game though...

But yeah, link?
Weird. It was on their flickr page a few days ago - now it's gone. I believe I rehosted it somewhere, though. I'll post it as soon as I find it.

EDIT: Here you go - it's tiny so you might want to enlarge it somehow:

2mxibyt.jpg

Nimyh said:
This is definitely not coming to the Wii, Sega is supposedly done with mature Wii games at this point following Madworld, Overkill, Conduit sales.. so not really an option worth discussing.
That was not an official company statement. It was a guess by some random studio director at Sega USA. It's also wrong - according to Sega. Because they were actually not really all that disappointed.

Nimyh

Banned
wsippel said:
That was not an official company statement. It was a guess by some random studio director at Sega USA. It's also wrong - according to Sega. Because they were actually not really all that disappointed.

Oh. Well, this game aside, it's good to know that another Overkill might still be on the way.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
major_killjoy said:
You're right, that armor looks nothing like this:

4n66o.gif

Bayonetta in the future?

-viper-

Banned
Arnie said:
Really surprised to see Platinum create something that seems so visually derivative of other games. Most developers get away with it but I expected more from Platinum, plus I'm kind of booked up when it comes to shooters this year.

It is Mikami so I'm going to assume the game will be fun as hell, but still can't help the feeling of being slightly underwhelmed.
The style looks great. I love the futuristic armour appearance. Reminds me of mass effect.

major_killjoy said:
You're right, that armor looks nothing like this:

4n66o.gif
Quoted one more time to get the momentum going. Shit is hypnotic.

Honest question: where did the "Mikami x Halo" thing come from? Nothing in that teaser makes me think of Halo. There's the District 9/Ironman HUD/Character face, the Ghost Recon news cut between takes, Ironman suit assembly, dead space like space station, PN03 armor... I don't know, I've been watching it again and nothing makes me go "oh, Halo!". Is it the suit? Or the sentinel-like UAVs? I just don't see the connection. Or was it all a joke?

Frenck

Banned
FunkyPajamas said:

Honest question: where did the "Mikami x Halo" thing come from? Nothing in that teaser makes me think of Halo. There's the District 9/Ironman HUD/Character face, the Ghost Recon news cut between takes, Ironman suit assembly, dead space like space station, PN03 armor... I don't know, I've been watching it again and nothing makes me go "oh, Halo!". Is it the suit? Or the sentinel-like UAVs? I just don't see the connection. Or was it all a joke?

Halo invented aliens and dudes in armor, that's why.

4n66o.gif

I'm amazed by that animation. Not the butt, the hands.

I'm impressed how the fingers moved independently and so smoothly. It's really impressive animation here for the last gen.

wRATH2x

Banned
UnluckyKate said:
4n66o.gif

I'm amazed by that animation. Not the butt, the hands.

I'm impressed how the fingers moved independently and so smoothly. It's really impressive animation here for the last gen.
Yeah sure we believe you!

wsippel said:
Weird. It was on their flickr page a few days ago - now it's gone. I believe I rehosted it somewhere, though. I'll post it as soon as I find it.

EDIT: Here you go - it's tiny so you might want to enlarge it somehow:

2mxibyt.jpg

Enlarged it. I see the Wii remote and sensor bar now.

Would be funny is this was yet ANOTHER case of a game being hinted at Wii and ends up being on it because of studio pics :p

TreIII

P90 said:
Halo is not fun for me. But Mikami could make it so.

Frankly, I'm doubting this will be even anything LIKE Halo.

What relatively little we've seen thus far prolly doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of what the game is really all about. That's some what P*'s fault for not even really showing anything of substance (GAMEPLAY!), but then again, it is what it is, because that was just a teaser.

I mean, sure. Mikami could probably do his own Halo-killer if he really wanted to or was pushed as such. But I can't see that from the man who popularized the survival horror genre (and again, through RE4), helped a budding Kamiya bring about the likes of DMC and Viewtiful Joe, and then brought about the likes of PN03 and GOD HAND.

To me, making a game anything akin to a "Halo/Gears-killer" would be far too pedestrian for him. There's gotta be a Mikami style twist lying in wait. And I look forward to seeing what it is.

FunkyPajamas said:

It's the suit. You don't think it's even a little spartan-like? Of course I expect this game to be nothing like Halo but I see some resemblance.

Dascu

GodHand was Mikami's love letter to the classic arcade beat-'m-up genre. I get the feeling Vanquish will be the same for the run-'n-gun genre. I think the game will be very fast, with big boss battles, fiery explosions and a satiric script.

wsippel

Banned
Bel Marduk said:
Enlarged it. I see the Wii remote and sensor bar now.

Would be funny is this was yet ANOTHER case of a game being hinted at Wii and ends up being on it because of studio pics :p
Well, it worked for Mistwalker and Junction Point, maybe it'll work for Platinum as well. By the way, thatgamecompany has a Wii in their office as well. :lol

Might be they didn't mention a platform because it simply doesn't matter. I'm talking about an omniplatform game (PC, PS3, 360 and Wii) - just like Mikamis other new project... ;)

TreIII

Dascu said:
GodHand was Mikami's love letter to the classic arcade beat-'m-up genre. I get the feeling Vanquish will be the same for the run-'n-gun genre. I think the game will be very fast, with big boss battles, fiery explosions and a satiric script.

I dunno though. For example, EDF and, to a similar end, Lost Planet, both accomplish that much (run and gun action), and we have had them already, with "sequels" imminent, if we count Zangeki as a follow up to EDF. :D

If Vanquish could be able to do like how God Hand was able to stand alone, in the midst of DMC and similar "stylish action" games, then by all means, I hope that's what it stands to do. Otherwise, maybe this could be a chance for something decidedly different from what we all expect.

With the Suit seemingly playing such a focal point in what we've seen thus far, I wouldn't be surprised if the game itself revolved around it. We're identifying more with the Suit than the man inside of it, or the gun he may be carrying. Be a tragic waste if all it was meant for was just to be just another way to recognize a character, similar to Master Chief. 8D

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
TreIII said:
Frankly, I'm doubting this will be even anything LIKE Halo.

What relatively little we've seen thus far prolly doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of what the game is really all about. That's some what P*'s fault for not even really showing anything of substance (GAMEPLAY!), but then again, it is what it is, because that was just a teaser.

I mean, sure. Mikami could probably do his own Halo-killer if he really wanted to or was pushed as such. But I can't see that from the man who popularized the survival horror genre (and again, through RE4), helped a budding Kamiya bring about the likes of DMC and Viewtiful Joe, and then brought about the likes of PN03 and GOD HAND.

To me, making a game anything akin to a "Halo/Gears-killer" would be far too pedestrian for him. There's gotta be a Mikami style twist lying in wait. And I look forward to seeing what it is.

What is a Mikami style twist?

TreIII

HK-47 said:
What is a Mikami style twist?

Think God Hand compared to the rest of the supposed "magical brawler" genre. God Hand is definitely a game that fits in with the likes of DMC, but it's also definitely a game that stands unto itself.

Even if this game does turn out to have more in common with Third Person Shooters, I'm sure there's going to be some thing that will definitely make it stand apart from the rest. Or at least, that's what I assume going by who's directing. :D

robor

The Halo reference is interesting but when I first saw the trailer I thought "spiritual successor of P.N. 03". The Halo thing is just as valid I guess.

EDIT.

wsippel said:
Well, it worked for Mistwalker and Junction Point, maybe it'll work for Platinum as well. By the way, thatgamecompany has a Wii in their office as well. :lol

Might be they didn't mention a platform because it simply doesn't matter. I'm talking about an omniplatform game (PC, PS3, 360 and Wii) - just like Mikamis other new project... ;)

Right but this hasn't been officially announced yet? Are talking about the project with Suda 51?

Puddles

Banned
I really hope that this game comes out for

gamers in the year 2010.

Everything about it just has me completely stoked. If I could play this, ME2, Halo Reach and Bioshock 2 in the same year, it would be scifi paradise.

robor

Tain said:
I hope that when we see footage of the game itself, it winds up looking exactly like a sci fi HD GOD HAND.

My suspicions are that it will have God Hand CQC along with RE4's gameplay layout for weapons and environment interaction + something new altogether.

On a different note, this teaser also gave me a Ghost in the Shell vibe.

TreIII

robor said:
My suspicions are that it will have God Hand CQC along with RE4's gameplay layout for weapons and environment interaction + something new altogether.

THAT....would be awesome. :D

On the other hand, I got more of an overall "Gundam" vibe, personally.

* Earth and its space colonies possibly at odds?
* A new and possibly untested weapon at the center of the conflict
* A "white suit" standing as the main symbol of the title itself

Of course, this is still early. But I am interested in seeing how far this may go...and then where Mikami's directorial and story-telling styles may make it into an outright parody of things.

robor said:

The thought of that...
hti4gz.jpg

2San

Mayor Haggar said:
Was everyone like, not born during the PS2/Cube/Xbox timeframe?

It's PN03.

Jesus.

Oh the game I wanted to like so much. I really liked the style to bad the gameplay it self, was horrible. :| I still look at it wanting to play it again, and after 2mins of playing, I'm thinking why the hell am I play this shit? D:

twenty1

Banned
Mayor Haggar said:
Was everyone like, not born during the PS2/Cube/Xbox timeframe?

It's PN03.

Jesus.

HAHAHA I know right.....I think you meant was everyone born DURING that time frame

alot of posters on here their games knowledge sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom