• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Platinum Games Title - Vanquish (Mikami TPS, PS3/360, Winter 2010)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would find it pretty disingenuous if launching your teaser trailer in full HD and then it turns out to be a Wii game. Wii games are almost always stated as such before hand, while the HD platforms often experience a period of anonymity due to "can it be ported" and deals still going on to such an effect to ensure multiplatform or not.

Fodder76 said:
I'm a huge fan of Platinum/Clover and all their past games. I've been waiting all week for this announcement, and my initial feeling is tremendous disappointment.

Its sad that the few remaining great Japanese developers are more and more feeling the need to make games that cater to a western audience. I love Plantium / Clover for their whacked out Japaneseness and from early impressions this is the total opposite of that.

I hope I am proven wrong.

I understand why they are doing it, but it still saddens me. I guess this is better than them disappearing entirely again.
There hasn't even been any gameplay, calm down. I'm interested in seeing what Mikami and Co. cooked up with this one.

wsippel

Banned
SecretBonusPoint said:
I would find it pretty disingenuous if launching your teaser trailer in full HD and then it turns out to be a Wii game. Wii games are almost always stated as such before hand, while the HD platforms often experience a period of anonymity due to "can it be ported" and deals still going on to such an effect to ensure multiplatform or not.
The MadWorld debut trailer was in HD as well. The trailer being in HD is not conclusive in any way. All official No More Heroes 2 trailers are also in HD for example.

wsippel

Banned
Glass Soldier said:
Even with this high level of CG?
The fact that it's all live action and CG and created by a completely different studio makes the fact that the teaser is in HD even less conclusive, no? I expect a production company like Logan to produce everything in HD by default these days.

wsippel said:
The fact that it's all live action and CG and created by a completely different studio makes the fact that the teaser is in HD even less conclusive, no? I expect a production company like Logan to produce everything in HD by default these days.

Well, I still don't think it's going to be a Wii game but on top of that it'd really surprise me if they made such an assumedly high budgeted trailer for a Wii game if the product won't look anything like it at all.

Dali

Neuromancer said:
Finally got around to watching the trailer.

Holy shit! :lol

(Please be an FPS... Say, has a Japanese developer ever made an FPS?)
Breakdown
Coded Arms
... errr... Dirge of Cerebus

[Nintex]

Glass Soldier said:
Well, I still don't think it's going to be a Wii game but on top of that it'd really surprise me if they made such an assumedly high budgeted trailer for a Wii game if the product won't look anything like it at all.
I think they just released that trailer to get some interest in the title. When SEGA meets with Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo they'll just ask who's willing to moneyhat the development further and get Shenmue 3 as a bonus.

[Nintex] said:
I think they just released that trailer to get some interest in the title. When SEGA meets with Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo they'll just ask who's willing to moneyhat the development further and get Shenmue 3 as a bonus.

Who the hell is going to moneyhat a PG/SEGA game?

I know I'd do :'(

As brought up earlier, Vanquish was mentioned on the leaked Sega document about a meeting they had with Sony. That was the first time it was mentioned anywhere as far as I know. So the game is very likely a PS3/360 game. And going by that document, there's a possibility of a PSP tie in game.

wsippel

Banned
Glass Soldier said:
I'm sure the game won't look anything like that no matter what.

Don't get me wrong, I actually agree that it's probably a HD game, but the trailer, not to mention the trailers resolution, isn't conclusive at all.

Neuromancer said:
I knew there had to be a few, I've just never played them. I hear Breakdown was really good.
You know, Mikami was executive producer for Killer 7 and all of the action in that game was handled in first person. But that game is hardly a FPS by what most people would consider FPS games to be, despite a lot of the action taking place in a first person perspective.

For all we know this could be a parody/mockery of Halo and 'mature' space marine shooters, and the gameplay is something totally unexpected.

Sort of like how Bayonetta was a playful and more over the top take on games like DMC.

wsippel said:
I'm sure the game won't look anything like that no matter what.

Don't get me wrong, I actually agree that it's probably a HD game, but the trailer, not to mention the trailers resolution, isn't conclusive at all.

Yeah well, duh, of course it won't look exactly like that. When I say HD I don't refer to the resolution only but also to the quality of the CG. Sorry for being unclear.

SolidSnakex said:
As brought up earlier, Vanquish was mentioned on the leaked Sega document about a meeting they had with Sony. That was the first time it was mentioned anywhere as far as I know. So the game is very likely a PS3/360 game. And going by that document, there's a possibility of a PSP tie in game.

Tell me more about this, good sir.

Glass Soldier said:
Tell me more about this, good sir.

That's really all there is. The document said this

Vanquish and Aliens: CM
Opportunity for PS3/PSP interoperability (see Eidos Batman, Army of Two, Assassin’s Creed for good examples).
If we offer that SCEA would be really interested in having us at their booth next E3.

Sipowicz

Banned
i just hope this is on a fucking system I own. whether this is Wii, PC or PSP

I'm sick of this bullshit where games are confined the least popular platforms. At least put them on systems people actually own

if it's multiplatform there better be an enhanced version on PC. otherwise Fuck Sega the twats

Neuromancer said:
Finally got around to watching the trailer.

Holy shit! :lol

(Please be an FPS... Say, has a Japanese developer ever made an FPS?)

16jpstw.jpg

Sipowicz said:

I'm sick of this bullshit where games are confined the least popular platforms. At least put them on systems people actually own

if it's multiplatform there better be an enhanced version on PC. otherwise Fuck Sega the twats

Now I hope it's on the DS :lol

Coded Arms... man, I tried to like that game, I really did...

Looks interesting, I like the live-action/CG mix they used for the trailer, really great for the movie look and feel they were going for.

Dare I say that the suit is pretty cool, too?

Sipowicz said:

I'm sick of this bullshit where games are confined the least popular platforms. At least put them on systems people actually own (this made me :lol)

always so angry. Get one of the HD twins already and stop venting your fury over your own damn fault.

Threi

notag
Sipowicz said:

This game needs to be an iPad exclusive launch title.

SecretBonusPoint said:
always so angry. Get one of the HD twins already and stop venting your fury over your own damn fault.
to be fair this can go both ways.

Dali

SazerVisuel said:
Coded Arms... man, I tried to like that game, I really did...

Looks interesting, I like the live-action/CG mix they used for the trailer, really great for the movie look and feel they were going for.

Dare I say that the suit is pretty cool, too?
Yeah I felt a heavy D9 influence coming from the trailer. It was mostly towards the end of the trailer, especially when they showed the inside helmet POV as he was fighting the mechs. It really felt reminiscent of the final scenes in D9. Also a lot of the sound effects seemed straight out of D9.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
PSGames said:
That sounds like it could be PS3 exclusive no?
The other four games in the same posting are multiplatform, so I can only assume it would have been in its own section if it was exclusive.

PSGames said:
That sounds like it could be PS3 exclusive no?

No, they're just talking about how they can get extra marketing muscle. They're saying that if they throw Sony something then Sony will help push the game. Similar to how Batman got extra marketing because of the exclusive DLC.

I really hope there's some sorta big twist to how this game works. I've really liked how unique and wild a lot of Mikami's, Clover's and Platinum's games have been. This one looks so generic space marine shooter it hurts.

Dali said:
Yeah I felt a heavy D9 influence coming from the trailer. It was mostly towards the end of the trailer, especially when they showed the inside helmet POV as he was fighting the mechs. It really felt reminiscent of the final scenes in D9. Also a lot of the sound effects seemed straight out of D9.
It's the sequel. :lol

SolidSnakex said:
No, they're just talking about how they can get extra marketing muscle. They saying if they throw Sony something that Sony will help push the game. Similar to how Batman got extra marketing because of the exclusive DLC.
My inner Sony fangirl wouldn't complain about this, especially since I'd probably get this for the PS3 over the 360, anyway.

The 12-year old ultra nerd inside me wants this to be a weird hybrid Sin & Punishment/PN03/Space Harrier TPS. Big enemies, big environments, big guns. Like EDF 2017. Or Bangai-oh in three dimensions.

JUST SOMETHING WHERE A LOT OF STUFF BLOWS UP REAL GOOD.

All this is based on absolutely nothing. That trailer might as well be for an indie developed sequel to District 9.

eggandI said:
Ah I see, this man has fanboys here.

Anyway if this is anything like PN03 it's going to look pretty and play very, very blandly.

PN03 didn't even look that good..

But even Mikami admitted he wasn't satisfied, and looking at his track record as a director, he has so much awesome to his credit it completely outweighs one game.

Resident Evil
REmake
RE4
God Hand

^ 3 of the four best RE games and the best action game of the last generation? Sign me the fuck up

Rabbitwork said:
The 12-year old ultra nerd inside me wants this to be a weird hybrid Sin & Punishment/PN03/Space Harrier TPS. Big enemies, big environments, big guns. Like EDF 2017. Or Bangai-oh in three dimensions.

JUST SOMETHING WHERE A LOT OF STUFF BLOWS UP REAL GOOD..

I don't know you but you've got some damn fine ideas.

Spruchy

Rabbitwork said:

JUST SOMETHING WHERE A LOT OF STUFF BLOWS UP REAL GOOD.

All this is based on absolutely nothing. That trailer might as well be for an indie developed sequel to District 9.

Lost Planet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom