• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dudebro II announced officially, featuring Jon "Duke Nukem" St. John as Dudebro

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I think this may be thread-worthy, since many people never visit sticky threads. Today we finally announced to the world Dudebro™ — My Shit Is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It’s Straight-Up Dawg Time, top-down shooter born here on GAF and planned for release this Summer.

Two excerpts from Phil Kollar's awesome story on Game Informer:
Grimoire Assembly Forge, a group made up of over 100 volunteers from the NeoGAF community, has announced that they're working on a top-down shooter titled Dudebro - My Sh*t Is F*cked Up So I Got To Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time.

As the name suggests, the game will parody the generic action heroes and plots that have become so prevalent in action games. Grimoire Assembly Forge promises "super-macho protagonists, excessive violence and profanity, chauvinistic overtones, and rampant immaturity." Protagonist John Dudebro will also collect old-school power-ups to help him dominate over-the-top boss battles.

Perhaps most impressively for the indie project, Dudebro will be voiced by Jon St. John, the voice actor best known for his performance as Duke Nukem. As for why it's numbered like a sequel being the first game, the press release helpfully explains:

"Although Dudebro™ II is the first in the series, it has the number two in its name because sequels are always more awesome than original games -- as all hardcore gamer dudes know."

Full article here: http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2010/02/08/news-neogaf-dudes-are-making-a-game-bro.aspx

Announcement press release here: http://www.grimoireassemblyforge.com/press/pr/DB2_PR001.txt

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Amazing what you guys have done. I cannot wait for this.

Hugbot

Oh, hey, I have been meaning to catch up on the sticky for awhile. I had no idea it had gotten off the ground in such a big way, good job guys!

Tim-E

I have been following this project since the Babyz thread and I will continue to do so. :D You guys have come a long way and I'm excited to see the finished product.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
NeoGAF continues to assert itself as the nexus of gamerdom on the webz.

Congrats on all your hard work so far, guys.

V_Ben

Banned
i am a man of few words, but all of them are important. i'm so happy with the way everything is going, sound-wise. awesome job sound team!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
We know a lot of gaffers think this is just us stringing a lame joke too long, but the 100 volunteers we have right now are working incredibly hard, and producing some amazing stuff.

They deserve credit.

Raw64life

Pretty cool. I know the origin of Dudebro and that GAF was collectively making a game on it but I had no idea just how far it had progressed.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
such a testament to the talent and dedication of people around here that you can take a joke, develop from that the theoretical idea of such a parody game, but then take it the (several hundred) extra step(s) and actually do something with it.

propers to you guys.

Dogenzaka

Banned
It's funny because I lurked GAF when the thread that birthed Dudebro came up, and it was hilarious.

Now it's actually a real project that's actually coming out xD that's so awesome.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
kamspy said:
Will the sequel be Dudebro II: 2 ?

Because if so, awesome.

I'm still pushing the team to call it "Dudebro Legacy: Spill Blood 'Til The Sun Burns Out: This Space Ain't Big Enough"

SnakeswithLasers said:
There are not palms big enough.

Palms for high fives, right?

Wrekt

I still can't decide on whether Jon St. John is the worst or the best name of all time.

Either way, perfect choice for Dudebro. I wouldn't be surprised if Chicken winds up being an unannounced Nolan North.

Sciz

Best of luck, team. Forum-based development of anything is a difficult road to travel, and it's rare that such projects ever even make it as far as Dudebro: MSIFUSIGTS/SY2:ISUDT already has.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Awesome stuff guys.
But i still can't help but think it wouldn't totally be a parody on the generic meathead shooters if it wasn't an FPS or TPS :/

Ceebs

thetrin said:
I'm still pushing the team to call it "Dudebro Legacy: Spill Blood 'Til The Sun Burns Out: This Space Ain't Big Enough"

I do not think the world can handle a name that awesome.

squall211

The fact that Jon St. John is involved makes this the biggest gaming announcement of the year. Nothing shall top it for the rest of 2010.

Unicorn

squall211 said:
The fact that Jon St. John is involved makes this the biggest gaming announcement of the year. Nothing shall top it for the rest of 2010.
We found this out last year.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Thanks everyone :D

Cindres said:
Awesome stuff guys.
But i still can't help but think it wouldn't totally be a parody on the generic meathead shooters if it wasn't an FPS or TPS :/
You're right. But we have limited resources, so we decided to stick with something simpler. In this kind of projects, not losing your focus is extremely important.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
No one's made a GAF > Internet > GAF joke yet? :lol

But seriously, thank you to everyone who picked up the Dudebro story, we really appreciate it. There will be more to come =)

If any GAFfers volunteered and then fell off the map a bit, (there are a few of you, I know) we'd love it if you hopped back on the project. Post in the stickied thread, get on IRC and/or PM me to let us know you're back in the game!

And if any GAFfers would like to volunteer for the first time, by all means, PM me to let me know what you'd like to help with and I'll give you details on where to get started.

Lastly, I thought you guys might like to see what we've accomplished in the last two months. I make these progress reports every month, so this was as of a day and a half ago:

• Amassed an army of 107 volunteers
  • Implemented an efficient means of collaboration with Dropbox
  • Decided upon a game engine, a platform, a genre and a style
  • Drawn up a game design document
  • Created a playable pre-alpha build, with enemy AI and some art assets already in
  • Finalized the scripts for the attract scene, prologue and first three chapter, and written a rough draft of the fourth chapter
  • Written more than four dozen lines for Dudebro™ to say during gameplay
  • Composed 50 original pieces of music
  • Recorded 37 original sound effects
  • Recorded 84 voice samples
  • Created about four dozen pieces of concept art, as well as dozens of mockups and meme images
  • Created a new Dudebro™ logo
  • Rendered and textured 15 3D objects and characters
  • Set up a Twitter account, a Facebook page, a CafePress store, a wiki and a teaser Web site for promoting Dudebro™
  • Created a name for our team, Grimoire Assembly Forge™, as well as a logo and a simple yet functional Web site
  • Purchased www.dudebro2.com, www.dudebrothegame.com and www.grimoireassemblyforge.com
  • Written a press release to announce the game, which will be sent to media outlets 27 hours from now

Top Bottom