• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch out for Heavy Rain spoilers on cellphones!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
What the fuc...

iceatcs

You shouldn't gave your number to gamer friend!
Everyone know gamer are very risk and can lead to worse.

gamer are so stalker.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Cellphones? Really. I guess I have to hurry up and get this game so I can get out from under the rock this game is forcing me to live in.

SmokyDave

This is fucking ridiculous. If I get spoiled before Friday then the spoiler better pray for the anonymity of the internet. Why is this game attracting this shit? is it because it attempts to have an ending worth discovering? Is it animosity drummed up by the demo not being a generic 3rd person action game? Is it because it's a PS3 exclusive?

This mess is reminding me why gamers are often thought of as immature idiotic spoiled children. Is it the same for film buffs? Did they need to spend a week avoiding the internet before Fight Club?

Is this supposed to be retaliation for the Halo 3 ending spoilers or.... what? Because this is far, far worse. I remember reading those spoilers on a handful of sites but for Heavy Rain, it's like I have to avoid the Internet altogether.... And now my cell phone too, apparently.

Sigh. Lame ass kids.

Revolutionary said:
Is this supposed to be retaliation for the Halo 3 ending spoilers or.... what? Because this is far, far worse. I remember reading those spoilers on a handful of sites but for Heavy Rain, it's like I have to avoid the Internet altogether.... And now my cell phone too, apparently.

Sigh. Lame ass kids.
What was there to spoil in Halo 3? I don't really remember much story.

I'd think a game as story centric as Heavy Rain would be hurt more by spoilers.

Cep

Banned
SmokyDave said:
This is fucking ridiculous. If I get spoiled before Friday then the spoiler better pray for the anonymity of the internet. Why is this game attracting this shit? is it because it attempts to have an ending worth discovering? Is it animosity drummed up by the demo not being a generic 3rd person action game? Is it because it's a PS3 exclusive?

This mess is reminding me why gamers are often thought of as immature idiotic spoiled children. Is it the same for film buffs? Did they need to spend a week avoiding the internet before Fight Club?

They may need more than this.

Wickerbasket said:
What was there to spoil in Halo 3? I don't really remember much story.

I'd think a game as story centric as Heavy Rain would be hurt more by spoilers.

People like their experiences to be fresh and un-biased.

Versatil

@ Iceatcs

I don't even know what was that number and from who this is coming from.

My level designer friend at Ubi Montreal just called to tell me the samething....

iapetus said:
It probably goes without saying, but pulling this shit on NeoGAF will get you perma-banned.

Unfortunately, that's not a grave enough threat to some people. I might have to just get offline altogether until I beat it :lol

SuperÑ

OptionN, ShiftN
I thought everybody knew by now that the origami killer was

EDIT: This is why i love the fact that new members can't create threads in NeoGaf.

I just got spoiled by some jerkwad running around with a megaphone on the sidewalk!
I just got spoiled by some jerkwad flying a plane writing spoilers in jet exhaust!
I just got spoiled by some jerkwad putting spoilers in the CNN news ticker!

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
iapetus said:
It probably goes without saying, but pulling this shit on NeoGAF will get you perma-banned.
which is pretty much why the only places I am visiting for the next few days are GAF, facebook (none of my friends will pull that crap), and gmail. :p definitely up for perma bans :)

brandonh83 said:
Unfortunately, that's not a grave enough threat to some people. I might have to just get offline altogether until I beat it :lol
nah.... considering the lengths (and time) you have to go through just to be able to post on gaf... I can't believe the number of fake accounts on here are enough to make it enticing to throw one away to spoil something. especially since there is more than one moderator participating actively in the official thread.

Guys, if you get a text that says SNAPE KILLS DUMBLEDORE, it's not a Heavy Rain spoiler.

nah.... considering the lengths (and time) you have to go through just to be able to post on gaf... I can't believe the number of fake accounts on here are enough to make it enticing to throw one away to spoil something. especially since there is more than one moderator participating actively in the official thread.

$$$ :lol

soqquatto

I guess this is not a Heavy Rain problem but rather a douchebag-friend problem. same formula can be applied to several contexts.

Alphahawk

Unless you're friends are complete dicks I don't see how this is even a real threat. With the MGS4 thing on XBox Live I could understand it because people give them out everywhere and it's pretty obvious what gamertags are useful. But with Heavy Rain the margin for who actually owns a console, who actually owns a PS3, and who actually knows what "Heavy Rain" is, is so small that it would be ridiculous to imagine that this could even be a "thing". So to sum it up, your friends are fucking with ya...

iceatcs

Versatil said:
@ Iceatcs

I don't even know what was that number and from who this is coming from.

My level designer friend at Ubi Montreal just called to tell me the samething....
Eh, you mean 80000 something,
if so, it must be MS.

Versatil

But now, the question remains:

Who are they and how do they get my number?
A guy acting alone or a group of persons.

Many people just got spoiled the same way.

Thus the wonderful world of gaming. David Cage was right. And the far it goes, the far it's getting worse.

Games and movies give away too much about their products in trailers and magazines.

Trying to avoid all the Mass Effect 2 info floating around was really tough, but made playing the game a whole lot more enjoyable in the end.

After playing Mass Effect 2 I went back and watched the trailers, the video reviews, listened to some podcasts that I'd skipped because they were discussing the game and I was shocked at how much of the game's content was already public knowledge before any member of the public laid their hands on a disc.

Even Heavy Rain had that demo level, and that was all David Cage wanted to be in the public domain before the title was released. The scene with the girl in the house with a killer was supposed to be a showing of what Heavy Rain was like, but without having to give away any of the story or characters because it was totally separate from the main game. But eventually PR agencies and the gaming press convinced them to release real details about the actual game, show off locations and give out more and more info. David Cage's vision of hiding the real game while giving an accurate demo of the technology and the mechanics went out the window and the final demo released to the public has two scenes that will be in the actual game, and I understand why they did that, but I still think it's a bit of a shame.

Who was your text message from? Why would they spoil Heavy Rain for you?

EDIT: Obviously I took too long to write all this, as most of it is irrelevant to what's being discussed, and OP doesn't know who the text is from. Oh well.

Kyoufu

The official HR thread will have a really low amount of posts because people are afraid of getting spoiled upon entry :lol

Versatil said:
But now, the question remains:

Who are they and how do they get my number?
A guy acting alone or a group of persons.

Naa, Just one douchebag friend of yours. Reverse search the number, and use QTE to find the culprit, then lure him into watching you strip while you demand questions on why he did this.

SmokyDave

Alphahawk said:
Unless you're friends are complete dicks I don't see how this is even a real threat. With the MGS4 thing on XBox Live I could understand it because people give them out everywhere and it's pretty obvious what gamertags are useful. But with Heavy Rain the margin for who actually owns a console, who actually owns a PS3, and who actually knows what "Heavy Rain" is, is so small that it would be ridiculous to imagine that this could even be a "thing". So to sum it up, your friends are fucking with ya...
Comments on articles, Youtube comments, Facebook spam. Doesn't have to be friends.
polyh3dron said:
What's the point in this post? I'm not going to click it but I assume you just linked to the spoiler?

SmokyDave said:
What's the point in this post? I'm not going to click it but I assume you just linked to the spoiler?

I clicked it, knowing it was a joke, and it was. But it just proves that I'm an easy target. I need to bring out my A-game.

Versatil

shagg_187 said:
Naa, Just one douchebag friend of yours. Reverse search the number, and use QTE to find the culprit, then lure him into watching you strip while you demand questions on why he did this.
Private number.

But my friend who has just called me got a number. She is doing a search to find him/her.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
YousableTubeFix (greasemonkey script for firefox) is able to disable all youtube comments. You may try that if you still want to visit youtube for the next few days. I still remember MGS4's launch when someone made a filter that blanked out text relating to teh game. :lol

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
shagg_187 said:
SPOILER ALERT: That friend of yours who is doing a search IS the Origami Spoiler! Press the X button rapidly to interrogate her!
Honestly this is the most likely thing.

Someone on 4chan most likely started a thread telling people how to spoil people anonymously through text messages and people are hitting up everyone on their phonebook or facebook.

SmokyDave said:

Umm, yep. Also: Star Wars: Episode I, The Sixth Sense, Matrix Revolutions, and for book buffs, Harry Potter: The Half-Blood Prince (hell you had people driving through the street yelling out at lineups to spoil that one), the Wheel of Time, Twilight, and for TV buffs, the last episode of the Sopranos, random Lost spoilers, and for game buffs, Halo 3, Metal Gear Solid 4, Chrono Cross, and others.

Basically, if it's popular and has a twist, or it's just really popular and has no twist, it's going to get spoiled by internet dicks.

By the way, I am surprised no one has created a "spam" software for text messages. I mean, create a software that sends messages to 100 million people via web-sms services provided by major cellphone providing companies. Try every combination of number and more than 80% of them will see the light. Brute force that shit!!

Alphahawk

This reminds me of when my friend spoiled Zelda:OOT for me by telling me
shiek is Zelda
Thinking back now it's kinda funny that that was even considered a spoiler but hey I was 13. :lol

Versatil

Ok, I got some news from my friend.

First, the text message was sent from USA.

Second, she and I live in Montreal, Canada.

Me, I got a private number.

WTF?

EDIT:
Another friend texted me for the same reason :lol .

The Halo 3 spoilers were funny because a lot of people didn't sit through the end credits and watch the final scene and thought they were spoiling the game for others, when they weren't. Bungie were smart by making it so if you skipped the credits then you missed the last scene too.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Glad I have not kept up with Heavy Rain since it was first announced a long while back.

I didn't know it was coming out so soon. :lol

Can someone tell me what type of game it is and if it's ps3 exclusive? I would just search on Google but with what I'm reading from this topic I'll stumble upon some spoilers that I won't know at the time are spoilers but while I'm playing the game I'll remember it and be like "....Fuck."

Oh, and text message? That's fucking weird.

Top Bottom