• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hummer is dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pirata

Tobor said:
11b-wienermobile_2004.jpg

I actually went inside of the Weiner-mobile the other day on the way to class when it stopped by campus. One of the girls inside offered me a "wiener-whistle," but I told her that I don't accept wiener-whistles from strangers and that we should at least get to know each other first. She gave me one anyway.

NomarTyme

pirata said:
I actually went inside of the Weiner-mobile the other day on the way to class when it stopped by campus. One of the girls inside offered me a "wiener-whistle," but I told her that I don't accept wiener-whistles from strangers and that we should at least get to know each other first. She gave me one anyway.
How was it?

Zeke

you know I find the bigger douchebags to be people driving around riced up cars with fart cans on the back of their shitty honda's.

Jin

Zeke said:
you know I find the bigger douchebags to be people driving around riced up cars with fart cans on the back of their shitty honda's.

At least their cars fit in the parking space.

Zeke

Hadoken said:
At least their cars fit in the parking space.
meh isn't that huge of deal to me, I rather have that than some asshole speeding by house in the middle night with a high pitched lawn mower

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Bad_Boy said:
This just makes me want an FJ cruiser even more.

See this is where I'm a hypocrite. I hate Hummers, but I like the FJ. In its defense, FJ gets way better mileage and is less likely to be driven by that one type of guy who drives a Hummer. But mostly it's a completely illogical emotional reaction.

Humvee advocates are like gun nuts though. They don't do themselves any favors in terms of how they promote an otherwise reasonable hobby. Nobody gets mad at drivers of cars that are mechanically identical to Hummers - and I think it has a lot to do with the attitudes of the owners.

For example, if I drove a Ferrari F40, which gets worse mileage and spews more carbon, I'd get hi-fives.

Purely anecdotal: Hummer owners drive like absolute shit. The only drivers I can think of offhand who are more oblivious and incapable of signaling turns, are Mercedes and Cadillac STS drivers.

Hummer was a brand that was never going to be in my price range, but I really like the H3 2 door truck thing.

And that Hummer HX concept is killer.

My freshman roommate had an H3. Since I was still sober back then, and without a car myself, I would drive it a couple times a week to pick him up after drinking binges. I always hated driving it - turns/lane changes were a bitch and finding a parking spot was, like, damn.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
OuterWorldVoice said:
See this is where I'm a hypocrite. I hate Hummers, but I like the FJ. In its defense, FJ gets way better mileage and is less likely to be driven by that one type of guy who drives a Hummer. But mostly it's a completely illogical emotional reaction.

The FJ is probably one of the ugliest cars to have offended my eyes.

Stinkles

Phobophile said:
The FJ is probably one of the ugliest cars to have offended my eyes.

Oh, let me clarify. I like it because it's ugly. It has an awkward blocky charm.

numble

Its hopes were based on a random rich Chinese heavy industrial machines company that had never made cars, kind of shows how nobody wanted to touch the brand.

A (hopeful) boon for aesthetics on the road.

edit:

Ducky_McGee said:
FUCK yeah! THOUSANDS of lost jobs!

BOO YAAA!

High Fives all around!

High five!

A person takes that risk in any line of employment. The economy can be thought of as essentially a living organism, with it's own sort of survival and adaptation methods. And hummers in the consumer sector always seemed like a fad to me.

It's never nice when it happens, but that's life.

Stinkles

Ducky_McGee said:
FUCK yeah! THOUSANDS of lost jobs!

BOO YAAA!

High Fives all around!

Dumping shitty, short term products and streamlining lines will eventually be part of what saves GM. In the long term it will save many, many more jobs.

Cereal KiIIer said:
By accepting capitalism, we have to accept that compagnies will be dissapearing and job will be lost. Survival of the fittest.

Yeah exactly. Jobs become obsolete all the time, and I'm sure a lot more will be becoming obsolete in the future than ever before.

Good riddance. Maybe the brand had a reason to exist when the H1 was still in production. But cutting down on the rebadged crap will be good for GM in the long term. It seems like they had all these brands based on touchy-feely BS and image, that kept them from focusing on making one vehicle per class that could actually compete with everyone else's.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i always wanted one of the h1s, to be totally honest. i thought they were bad ass.

could be holdover love for schwarzenegger endorsement from my childhood

EL Beefo said:
They were useless ever since they canceled the H1. The H2 and H3 were just giant SUV's made more for the road than the dirt.

H2 was garbage, but the H3 was actually a really good off roader. Too late for Hummer though.

Lunchbox

Banned
and part of American culture died with it

damn hippies ruin everything

what are you gonna go after next? apple pie?

whitehawk said:
Holy shit, I read this as MC Hammer is dead.

Thank god, and good riddance to the hummer though.

I love how everyone is happy to learn that the Hammer is still around but Hummer is dead. :lol

xbhaskarx

The buyer, Sichuan Tengzhong Heavy Industrial Machines, said in a statement that it had withdrawn its bid because it was unable to receive approval from the Chinese government, which was trying to put a new emphasis on limiting China’s dependence on imported oil and protecting the environment.

Damn you know it's bad when a product isn't environmentally friendly enough for the Chinese government.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom