• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hummer is dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbhaskarx

Hummer had one of the best car commercials that I've ever seen (certainly better than any car they ever made), back in the early aughts:

Hummer H2 - The Big Race
Beautifully shot with a British Invasion soundtrack, it's like a minute-long Wes Anderson movie, yet the attitude/message is perfectly tailored to the Hummer audience without offending the rest of us.

Jay_Leno%20boston%20whdh.jpg

"There hasn't been this much news about a Hummer since Clinton was in office!"

xbhaskarx said:
Damn you know it's bad when a product isn't environmentally friendly enough for the Chinese government.
You know it is bad when Chinese government is trying to be more responsible than your own government.

hteng

Banned
i know it was a huge car, i've actually seen one parked two lots, so fucking funny, but how was the fuel efficiency? when compare to a 4 door sedan?

neorej

ERMYGERD!
iamaustrian said:
every car of that size and with that thirst should be banned from earths surface.
completly unnecessary (exept for army)

Except army doesn't drive hummers.

hummer-h2-safari.jpg

Hummvee.jpg

Hummer is a stripped down version of the Hummvee, which allows for one of the safest cars on the road (for everyone except the person inside the Hummer)

hummer-doet-auw.jpg

J-Rzez

Lunchbox said:
and part of American culture died with it

damn hippies ruin everything

what are you gonna go after next? apple pie?

No way. The death of Pontiac was far more a tragedy than this. Good Riddance to a bad company. It's a shame to see this happen to people with their jobs, but point your fingers at GM, and how they brought it upon themselves, in multiple ways at that.

Corvettes, Mustangs, Camaro's, and Firebirds. They're the "apple pie" here. Not some monstrosity that should've stayed on the front lines, not on the roadways.

iamblades

neorej said:
Except army doesn't drive hummers.

hummer-h2-safari.jpg

Hummvee.jpg

Hummer is a stripped down version of the Hummvee, which allows for one of the safest cars on the road (for everyone except the person inside the Hummer)

hummer-doet-auw.jpg

Hummers are not stripped down Humvees, they are chevy tahoes with bodykits. They share nothing with the HMMWV.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
OuterWorldVoice said:
Oh, let me clarify. I like it because it's ugly. It has an awkward blocky charm.
They are ugly, but fucking badass in all black.

FJside.jpg

fj_blk2.jpg

I swear my next car will be an all black fj, or a ft-86. :)

neorej said:

hummer-doet-auw.jpg

wtf?
I thought they are quite robust but this looks ridiulous.
The schoolbus doesn't even seem to be that damaged.

Tokubetsu

Friend of mine got drunk one night and saw some kid driving around in it with these girls. He parked in the freshman dorms of our school so he took a huge dump on the hood.

ascii42

operon said:
good riddance, they symbolise everything that is ugly about american cars
Yeah, but it's sad at the same time, because they also symbolize everything that is awesome about american cars.

I have seen two Hummers in my entire life iirc. It's the most appalling, worst constructed, fugly car I've seen in my entire life. I immediately fell sorry for normal americans who have to deal with these monstrosities their entire lives. One of the two was in front of me and was blocking my view of the entire road! Fucking hideous.

Jex

ascii42 said:
Yeah, but it's sad at the same time, because they also symbolize everything that is awesome about american cars.

I really hope not. What is so positive about anything they represent?

Binabik15

Jexhius said:
I really hope not. What is so positive about anything they represent?

Can you name the truck with four wheel drive,

Smells like a steak, and seats thirty five?
Canyonero! Canyonero!

Well, it goes real slow with the hammer down,
It's the country-fried truck endorsed by a clown,
Canyonero! Canyonero!

Hey, hey!

Twelve yards long, two lanes wide,

Sixty five tons of American pride!
Canyonero! Canyonero!

Top of the line in utility sports,
Unexplained fires are a matter for the courts!
Canyonero! Canyonero!

She blinds everybody with her super high beams,
She's a squirrel-squasher, deer-smackin' drivin' machine,
Canyonero! Canyonero! Canyonero!

Whoa, Canyonero! Whoooooaaaa!

FUCKING AWESOME! EAT SHIT HUMMER!!!

As soon as they went beyond making military vehicles, they became limos and shells on shit urban 4wds.

daw840

akachan ningen said:
Why would you say something as asinine as that?

It's just funny to me, that's all. Everyone touts hybrids and Priuses (is that how you pluralize that?) like they are so much better than these big gas guzzling things, but in all reality they aren't.

daw840 said:
It's just funny to me, that's all. Everyone touts hybrids and Priuses (is that how you pluralize that?) like they are so much better than these big gas guzzling things, but in all reality they aren't.

People in this thread are hating on the Hummer because it's ugly and takes up too much space. I haven't seen anybody saying anything about gas mileage. Show me where anyone is touting hybrids.

daw840

akachan ningen said:
People in this thread are hating on the Hummer because it's ugly and takes up too much space. I haven't seen anybody saying anything about gas mileage. Show me where anyone is touting hybrids.

LOL, defensive much? Many people in this thread have said things about the gas mileage, and things like "GOOD RIDDANCE!" Yay, something that you may not have like aesthetically is gone, something that never affected you in the slightest, ugly is subjective there buddy. I find that usually the people bitching and moaning about other people who drive big cars that don't get 40 mpg are the ones who go around rockin a Prius. Go about your own life and stop worrying about other people. So someone bought an H3. So what. Maybe they needed a bigger car to haul the kids around in and just liked the H3. Why do you care?

edit: Save for the H1, they other Hummers don't really take up any more space than other full-size SUVs.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
perfectchaos007 said:
God dammit Greenpeace, look what you've done :(
This. I can tell that they're going to dictate what cars they want us to drive, and I can't get my muscle car because of that. :-(

daw840 said:
LOL, defensive much? Many people in this thread have said things about the gas mileage, and things like "GOOD RIDDANCE!" Yay, something that you may not have like aesthetically is gone, something that never affected you in the slightest, ugly is subjective there buddy. I find that usually the people bitching and moaning about other people who drive big cars that don't get 40 mpg are the ones who go around rockin a Prius. Go about your own life and stop worrying about other people. So someone bought an H3. So what. Maybe they needed a bigger car to haul the kids around in and just liked the H3. Why do you care?

edit: Save for the H1, they other Hummers don't really take up any more space than other full-size SUVs.

...no, what exactly am I being defensive about? You're being extremely defensive about these hummers. People who drive them ARE affective other drivers because of the size of the monstrosities.

daw840

akachan ningen said:
...no, what exactly am I being defensive about? You're being extremely defensive about these hummers. People who drive them ARE affective other drivers because of the size of the monstrosities.

Like I said, they are no bigger than a normal full-size SUV. Do you have a problem with every full-size SUV? Or just Hummers? Do you have a problem with Pickup trucks?

daw840 said:
Like I said, they are no bigger than a normal full-size SUV. Do you have a problem with every full-size SUV? Or just Hummers? Do you have a problem with Pickup trucks?

Yeah, I do have problems with all big trucks. Unless somebody needs to haul shit because of their jobs, they don't need big trucks. I hope you know that most people get these things because of what they represent, not what they do, right?

Trucks aren't as bad though, since they aren't as blocking as much shit. But they still make parking in a tight lot a pain in the ass.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
nilbog21 said:
hummers symbolize everything that went wrong w/ the economy

Indeed. I hated these vehicles and the people who drove them. Bury that brand and good riddance.

daw840

akachan ningen said:
Yeah, I do have problems with all big trucks. Unless somebody needs to haul shit because of their jobs, they don't need big trucks. I hope you know that most people get these things because of what they represent, not what they do, right?

Trucks aren't as bad though, since they aren't as blocking as much shit. But they still make parking in a tight lot a pain in the ass.

I drive an FX45, it's not a huge vehicle by any means, but I bought it because I am planning on having a couple of kids in the near future and it has a back seat. Now, if I had a 3rd or 4th kid I would need something bigger. My options at that point would be a.) a minivan or b.) a full size SUV. Now, I probably wouldn't buy a mini-van just because I really don't like them, no other reason really, so that would leave me with a full size SUV, which you say I don't need. Or let's look at it this way. Even if I don't have kids, maybe I want to be able to haul shit around when I need to. I go buy a new TV, a desk, a couch, lumber for a new fence I am going to build, etc, etc. I need a bigger vehicle to do that in. Personally, I have an old F-150 as a 3rd vehicle for those sorts of things. Do I NEED it? Probably not, but every now and then I do use it. My friends and family probably use it more than I do to be honest, because everyone needs to haul shit every once and a while. I would rather own the car that I need, or might need, rather than have to borrow/rent/hire to get something done.

daw840 said:
All the hate for Hummers in here cracks me up. I bet you guys love the Prius!

Generalize much?

The hate for the Hummer is justified. It symbolizes everything that went wrong with the American automakers with the focus on increasingly enormous and increasingly useless vehicles while the price of oil continued to increase and the competition continued to refine their mid-size/large family sedans as well as fuel efficient alternatives. And while they invested heavily in these platforms, they relegated their small and mid-size sedans to the backburner.

The likes of Hyundai, Honda, Nissan, Toyota, and even the Germans like BMW were focusing on fuel economy and technology, while the Americans were focused on who could build a bigger land boat.

You should realize now that the Hummer brand dying now is because of one reason only: the free market. There's simply not enough demand to justify the brand because people have seen past the shallowness of the brand beyond the novelty.

And for reference, I drive a Frontier pickup and my wife drives an FX-35.

daw840

Alright, I apologize for the Prius remark, it was not warranted and a knee jerk reaction.
CharlieDigital said:
And for reference, I drive a Frontier pickup and my wife drives an FX-35.

Oh, very nice! I actually just bought an 2003 FX45 and I love it, although it gets TERRIBLE gas mileage and takes premium. :/

The Frontier is definitely a nice little pickup, always liked those.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Hummers do affect other people. They are huge, they don't fit in most parking spots and they block your view easily. The owners are always like "I dont give a fuck I'm taking up two parking spaces, I don't give a fuck you can't see". I'm generalizing, but I live in the South where hummers and F-250's rule.

daw840

otake said:
Hummers do affect other people. They are huge, they don't fit in most parking spots and they block your view easily. The owners are always like "I dont give a fuck I'm taking up two parking spaces, I don't give a fuck you can't see". I'm generalizing, but I live in the South where hummers and F-250's rule.

And I live in Kansas City, same deal here. Doesn't bother me at all. Now, what pisses me off is when people don't realize they are in a big vehicle that blocks your view at intersections and pull way out when they don't need to, but I have grown up here so I guess I'm just used to it.

Every time I see this thread I think it says, "Hammer is dead." And I cry thinking that Sheriff Hard Hittin Hammer is no longer with us. Then I see the actual title and the world becomes just a little bit brighter.

Tobor

Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:
Every time I see this thread I think it says, "Hammer is dead." And I cry thinking that Sheriff Hard Hittin Hammer is no longer with us. Then I see the actual title and the world becomes just a little bit brighter.
Sorry guys, I know celebrity death-GAF wants to get it's cry on. Don't worry, I'm sure some one will kick the bucket soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom