• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hummer is dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

grumble

speculawyer said:
The free market has spoken.

This would have a lot more credibility if people decided to buy Prii (?) based on a sound and rational economic decision, fully taking into account all externalities therein. Instead, people are slavishly bowing to social pressure when there is a good chance that that social pressure is not rational. The free market frequently creates situations like these; the idea of the free market equaling 'good' assumes that people have brains, which generally they don't.

grumble said:
This would have a lot more credibility if people decided to buy Prii (?) based on a sound and rational economic decision, fully taking into account all externalities therein. Instead, people are slavishly bowing to social pressure when there is a good chance that that social pressure is not rational. The free market frequently creates situations like these; the idea of the free market equaling 'good' assumes that people have brains, which generally they don't.
Wow . . . so when did you get the ability to read people's minds?

And you really think peer pressure gets people to buy a Prius? Are car buyers a bunch of high school kids?

There is a mix of reasons why people buy the Prius:
Some don't want to pollute as much.
Some expect gas prices to continue rising and believe that it will be the wiser economic decision in the long run.
Some people feel that our reliance on foreign countries (who often not very friendly with us) for 2/3s of our oil is something we need to stop.
Some want to put out less CO2 due to climate change.

Why not ask a few people why they bought a Prius instead just assume they don't have brains? I really don't think peer pressure will rank very high.

However, I do agree that the free market does often make very irrational decisions . . . the housing market is one of them. GM's buying of Hummer is another. I don't think buying a Prius is an irrational decision though . . . in the past 7 years, the price of oil has more than doubled.

numble

speculawyer said:
Wow . . . so when did you get the ability to read people's minds?

And you really think peer pressure gets people to buy a Prius? Are car buyers a bunch of high school kids?

There is a mix of reasons why people buy the Prius:
Some don't want to pollute as much.
Some expect gas prices to continue rising and believe that it will be the wiser economic decision in the long run.
Some people feel that our reliance on foreign countries (who often not very friendly with us) for 2/3s of our oil is something we need to stop.
Some want to put out less CO2 due to climate change.

Why not ask a few people why they bought a Prius instead just assume they don't have brains? I really don't think peer pressure will rank very high.

However, I do agree that the free market does often make very irrational decisions . . . the housing market is one of them. GM's buying of Hummer is another. I don't think buying a Prius is an irrational decision though . . . in the past 7 years, the price of oil has more than doubled.
Heck, many people bought hybrid cars in California because they let those cars drive in the carpool lanes without other passengers.

numble said:
Heck, many people bought hybrid cars in California because they let those cars drive in the carpool lanes without other passengers.
Indeed . . . a very rational decision there. But sadly, I think the practice has come to an end.

However, I think many existing cars are grand-fathered such that if you have a hybrid that has one of those stickers on it, it is much more valuable on the used market. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom