• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So my gf got arrested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
DUI. She went out for a drink with her friends from work after she got off work, she called me around 7 yesterday absolutely trashed and on the phone. I told her it was a stupid idea to be driving, let alone on the phone and driving in her condition... didnt hear from her for hours afterwards.

Got a call at about midnight from her at the police station, crying and saying she got arrested.

Shits gonna be hard for her (and for me) since her job requires her to drive to different areas daily.

In a way i think its a good thing because she did have a drinking problem, but now i paying bail and court costs and all that shit, money's gonna be tight. Going later to pick her up from jail. Ugh.

Any similar DUI stories?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
She was fucking stupid and now she's being punished. Justice is served.

GrapeApes

TONX said:
DUI. She went out for a drink with her friends from work after she got off work, she called me around 7 yesterday absolutely trashed and on the phone. I told her it was a stupid idea to be driving, let alone on the phone and driving in her condition... didnt hear from her for hours afterwards.
Why didn't you pick he up?

Aselith

I saw the thread title and immediately went to soliciting. What an odd twist.

TONX said:
In a way i think its a good thing because she did have a drinking problem, but now i paying bail and court costs and all that shit, money's gonna be tight. Going later to pick her up from jail. Ugh.

Are you expecting compensation? You better be or you are a fucking fool. Do no enable this person.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
well if her job requires her to drive during work, she could possibly get a restricted license.

totowhoa

Banned
Friend got one a few weeks ago He's a big dude (300 pounds) and it takes a lot for him to get drunky, but he failed the breathalyzer (still stupid of him to be driving). Apparently around here you can demand to have a blood test taken immediately at a hospital as opposed to the breathalyzer, but the cop refused, so he's working with his lawyer now to get the charges dropped.

He drinks a lot, but usually never drives. Like OP's gf, he could probably use a DUI since that curb his drinking.

KiKaL

She will be able to have a restricted license so she will be able to continue for her job. It wont be so bad. Hopefully she learned her lesson

eznark

Banned
levious said:
well if her job requires her to drive during work, she could possibly get a restricted license.
Yeah, it's not even difficult. It's a pain to get the required insurance forms but not too much a pain.

Dali

Sklorenz said:
Friend got one a few weeks ago He's a big dude (300 pounds) and it takes a lot for him to get drunky, but he failed the breathalyzer (still stupid of him to be driving). Apparently around here you can demand to have a blood test taken immediately at a hospital as opposed to the breathalyzer, but the cop refused, so he's working with his lawyer now to get the charges dropped.

He drinks a lot, but usually never drives. Like OP's gf, he could probably use a DUI since that curb his drinking.
He shouldn't have breathalyzed to begin with. I know of a drunkard piece of shit lawyer that always gives this advice. You may get your license suspended and taken to jail, but that's better than a DUI on your record plus you have better ground to stand on in court.

KiKaL said:
She will be able to have a restricted license so she will be able to continue for her job. It wont be so bad. Hopefully she learned her lesson
That's assuming her job doesn't fire her. "Clean driving record" may be one of her requirements for employment.

totowhoa

Banned
Dali said:
He shouldn't have breathalyzed to begin with. I know of a drunkard piece of shit lawyer that always gives this advice. You may get your license suspended and taken to jail, but that's better than a DUI on your record plus you have better ground to stand on in court.

The cop wouldn't hear it and forced him to take it. It was a DUI checkpoint here in town and they were directing everybody into a parking lot for the breathalyzer before they could leave. Honestly doubt he was hardly drunk if he was actually driving (I'd like to think that anyway), but who knows. It's so easy to be over the breathalyzer limit. It probably takes me four shots or so before I even get a buzz, but I'd fail that breath test hard if I decided to drive an hour later. I'm just glad there's at least one option for people that can drink responsibly and drive later, even if their breathalyzer still says they must be so drunk.

Edit: my sister-in-law's a lawyer. According to her, apparently drinking seems to be the only option for all the stress they're dealing with all the time :lol I guess that's pretty common, but I'm glad she's not too crazy with the booze

Saerk

She is probably going to be fired, and in the future will find it difficult to get any job worth a damn until the DUI clears her record. My brother had DUI, and he is still feeling the effects of it 1.5 yrs later. Lawyer fees and what not will probably be $2-3k. You can get a temporary restricted license for a time, but even that may take a while.

Zenith

Banned
TONX said:

Is she a hobo or something? Why are you paying all her costs?

Dali

Sklorenz said:
The cop wouldn't hear it and forced him to take it. It was a DUI checkpoint here in town and they were directing everybody into a parking lot for the breathalyzer before they could leave. Honestly doubt he was hardly drunk if he was actually driving (I'd like to think that anyway), but who knows. It's so easy to be over the breathalyzer limit. It probably takes me four shots or so before I even get a buzz, but I'd fail that breath test hard if I decided to drive an hour later. I'm just glad there's at least one option for people that can drink responsibly and drive later, even if their breathalyzer still says they must be so drunk.
Refusing the breathalyzer will almost always get you locked-up, unless the cop is like "okay well, good sir, pass this field sobriety test and we'll call it a night". This never happens of course and the decision comes down to either refuse, go to jail (for the night or whatever), and possibly beat a DUI in court or accept, fail, and have no legal leg to stand on in fighting a DUI.

So your girlfriend's livelihood requires that she drives and she decides to risk her right to drive and drive drunk? Bail the fuck out.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Zenith said:
Is she a hobo or something? Why are you paying all her costs?
"I'm stuck in jail for a DUI!"
"Good, I'm glad because you have a drinking problem and you needed this lesson. Now I'll be right over to bail you out of jail."

Basically the moral of the story is never pay for someone's bail. EVER.

Samara

Best thing that could happen is that she got caught and that no one got injured.

Careful about posting bail tho. Are you expecting her to pay you back?

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Ah op unlucky your GF cought drink driving , happens to the best of us buddy , should be a good 18 months till shes clear

besada

Banned
Not a DUI story, but my wife got picked up on a warrant one night. She went out to get dinner and never came back. Three hours later I get a call, and yes, she was crying. It sucks, doesn't it? And she was in my truck, which they luckily did not impound, but I had to go get a ride from a friend to bail her out.

Zenith

Banned
chubigans said:
"I'm stuck in jail for a DUI!"
"Good, I'm glad because you have a drinking problem and you needed this lesson. Now I'll be right over to bail you out of jail."

Basically the moral of the story is never pay for someone's bail. EVER.

well, not that. I wouldn't leave my GF in jail no matter how dumb she'd been, and obviously she doesn't have money on her for bail.

but the stuff about court costs, etc coming in the future. Why would money be tight? Isn't she planning to pay you back the bail.

ccbfan

I have no sympathy for drunk drivers.

Sure you don't have bad intentions but you're still being completely irresponsible and putting multiple innocent people's lives in grave danger.

She may not have a drinking problem, but she definitely has a judgment problem. For the most part, even drunk, someone ca talk tell themselves not to drive a car. When someone rationalizes driving, then they're fucked. This girl is probably one of those people. I say evaluate the relationship and/or end it.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Obviously it was a bad choice on her part and hopefully she'll learn her lesson, but if you really do care about her you need to be supportive all the way through. When you've hit rock bottom it can be hard to find people to stay by your side, so you're gonna have to do what you can to help the girl deal with all the legal shit and her drinking issues.

jas0nuk

If she killed someone while driving you'd be wishing she got arrested before it happened. Just be glad it's only that.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
canova said:
chick with drinking problem is a problem. dump her before it's too late.

A gaffer with a bail out problem IS A PROBLEM, OP stick with your gf

GIRLS WHO DRINK FOR THE WIN

Spruchy

Shouldn't you be contacting a lawyer and exploring your options? Might be able to get a breathalyzer on your wheel, case dismissed, turn it into an OUI, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom