• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So my gf got arrested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samara

MikeOfTheLivingDead said:
This isn't just a little mistake, she could have potentially put herself and several other people in the morgue. Also, if he is cohabitating and his insurer gets wind of this his premiums will go through the roof. Drunk driving aside, I would not be in a serious relationship with the type of girl who would go to a bar and get hammered without me. Hell, I wouldn't be in a serious relationship with the type of girl who gets hammered period.

I say dump her. It's just a girlfriend, you can get a better one.

I would not go as far as to toss her aside. Of course, she made a terrible mistake, and now has to learn from it. She will get help with AA if sentenced to it. It's the realization of the problem that is the first step.

You can tell her that she is very lucky no one got hurt.

Funny story here. My cousin came home drunk, and my aunt proceeded to empty her bladder in his mouth for he was wasted and "not responding". He ended in the hospital from alchol poisining.

This isn't just a little mistake, she could have potentially put herself and several other people in the morgue. Also, if he is cohabitating and his insurer gets wind of this his premiums will go through the roof. Drunk driving aside, I would not be in a serious relationship with the type of girl who would go to a bar and get hammered without me. Hell, I wouldn't be in a serious relationship with the type of girl who gets hammered period.

I say dump her. It's just a girlfriend, you can get a better one.

You're a fucking idiot. I'm not trivializing the offense in any way but, you act as if she's the scum of the earth and can't learn a valued lesson. I've had one and won't ever get another one. What if my now wife thought like you?

Get off your fucking high horse. Good people make stupid decisions sometimes. She's lucky this time no one was hurt. I say lucky because that's what she was ... lucky. Worth breaking up over? Worth "teaching her some lesson" by not helping her financially? Hardly.

I_D

You're girlfriend definitely deserved to get caught. Driving drunk is outrageously dangerous, both for the driver and everybody else on the road.

That being said, some of GAF is overreacting. If my girlfriend drove drunk, I would lose a lot of respect for her, and I'd definitely be pissed at her for a while and wouldn't trust her drinking behavior. After three years, however, it's probably not worth breaking up (unless she does other stupid shit too, then it's a good time).

You're totally insane for helping her with the money, though. This is 100% her fault, and she obviously knew it was dangerous. Three years is a long time(ish), sure, but it's not enough to take on the penalty for her crimes.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Socreges said:
I bailed my brother out of jail yesterday because he shoved a $20 bill in his girlfriend's mouth. True story.

This sounds interesting. Seems like there would be a cool one-liner that goes along with it, any idea what it was?

jamesinclair said:
Why don't you go ahead and try it, and see if the court agrees with your "it was just a mistake" defense.

I think his point is, even though it is illegal it is unintentional therefore a mistake.

bardia

butts said:
Fuck drunk drivers and anyone who acts like its not a big deal.

This. Your girlfriend is an idiot but luckily neither she or anyone got hurt. Good luck with the rest of everything.

And all you people who say he should leave his gf are morons who most likely have never been with a girl. People make mistakes, you deal with it and move on, now if it is a continuous problem I could see where all the hostility is coming from.

J-Roderton

Yep sounds about right. My best friend went out driving like that last night and slid into a huge pile of snow. Random dude pulled him out tho.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
jamesinclair said:
Why don't you go ahead and try it, and see if the court agrees with your "it was just a mistake" defense.

Your high horse rage is adorable.
I never once said a mistake is a justifiable defense. Mistakes can be little or huge, serious or inconsequential. Driving drunk is fairly serious mistake. But anyone on this board who claims to have never made, or that they never will make, some kind of serious mistake in their lives that affect the people around us is a liar or incredibly naive.

Dali

jamesinclair said:
Actually, in most states, refusing to take the test is worse. In some states you will be held down and have blood drawn.

I don't know about most, but I assume my state isn't one of them as this lawyer was speaking from experience.

... looking it up, it seems saying most isn't exactly accurate.

Immortal_Daemon said:
You're totally insane for helping her with the money, though. This is 100% her fault, and she obviously knew it was dangerous. Three years is a long time(ish), sure, but it's not enough to take on the penalty for her crimes.

You're all approaching this wrong. They're not married, but if they act as a unit, he'll end out paying one way or the other. What about the next time he wants to go to the show? Leave her behind? He can't enjoy a nice dinner out with her? He'll have to help her financially at some point regardless and will end up indirectly financially supporting her through this regardless.

Socreges

Banned
Borgnine said:
This sounds interesting. Seems like there would be a cool one-liner that goes along with it, any idea what it was?
What he actually said: "You want your money? Here's your money."

He's no wordsmith.

Rubenov

GAF, what about if I'm at a restaurant and I have a glass of wine with dinner? Am I vulnerable to a DUI? -- serious question.

Rubenov said:
GAF, what about if I'm at a restaurant and I have a glass of wine with dinner? Am I vulnerable to a DUI? -- serious question.

How much do you weigh? How much food did you eat? How long were you there?

One drink though ... you're fine.

Zaphod

Rubenov said:

One glass would be fine. A general rule of thumb is about .02 BAC per drink per hour with a reduction of .02 for ever hour not drinking. Of course many factors will affect this.

Samara

Im still amazed how people don't have enough sense to call a taxi in that kind of situation. There's always plenty in front of the bars!

I_D

Fenderputty said:
You're all approaching this wrong. They're not married, but if they act as a unit, he'll end out paying one way or the other. What about the next time he wants to go to the show? Leave her behind? He can't enjoy a nice dinner out with her? He'll have to help her financially at some point regardless and will end up indirectly financially supporting her through this regardless.

There's a good chance he's relatively young, meaning close to my age.

At this current stage in my life, I would have no major qualms with telling a girlfriend of 3 years she won't get any help from me. I'd still be nice to her, of course; take her out to dinner and hang out with her, but I wouldn't help her pay for anything related to the drunk driving.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Driving drunk was an incredibly poor decision. No one was injured, thank goodness, so I guess things could work out in the end if she gets her life together. But if she does this again drop her like a greased hot dog. You can't be her crutch. She'll never respect you and she'll never improve herself.

Immortal_Daemon said:

At this current stage in my life, I would have no major qualms with telling a girlfriend of 3 years she won't get any help from me. I'd still be nice to her, of course; take her out to dinner and hang out with her, but I wouldn't help her pay for anything related to the drunk driving.

Then you'll indirectly pay for it when you go to dinner etc etc. If she's strapped enough to need the money, having her pay for it won't put her in a position to enjoy anything.

Also ... 3 years is a long fucking time.

Exhumed

Immortal_Daemon said:

This man has it right.

You can be supportive but possibly financially screwing yourself is giving faaaaarrr to much to a girlfriend. Again married or family I can see, but a GF should not be jeapordizing your wellbeing.

missbreedsiddx said:
Your high horse rage is adorable.
I never once said a mistake is a justifiable defense. Mistakes can be little or huge, serious or inconsequential. Driving drunk is fairly serious mistake. But anyone on this board who claims to have never made, or that they never will make, some kind of serious mistake in their lives that affect the people around us is a liar or incredibly naive.

I am with you. Everyone makes mistakes and some much worse than driving after drinking. The thing with mistakes is no one cares if you make them and no one finds out, but people will crucify the hell out of you if they do. If you truly want to reduce such mistakes you shouldn't crucify the people who have made them, but instead try to eliminate the avenues which lead people to those mistakes. Most people here get to frothed at the mouth to think this deeply about things though.

I also find it funny that people will harp on me saying she was unlucky getting a DUI, but lucky not to get into an accident. That just doesn't make sense.

Kraut

Samara said:
Im still amazed how people don't have enough sense to call a taxi in that kind of situation. There's always plenty in front of the bars!

This. Driving drunk is understandably a mistake, but one that is so widely reported on that you have no excuse when cought. Why not learn from the mistakes of others who have ruined their own lives and the lives of others and avoid fucking yourself?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Kraut said:
This. Driving drunk is understandably a mistake, but one that is so widely reported on that you have no excuse when cought. Why not learn from the mistakes of others who have ruined their own lives and the lives of others and avoid fucking yourself?
Alcohol affects judgment and leads to more risky behavior. The mistake was made hours before, when they started drinking without a responsible DD.

Koshiba

Well.. I just have to say bailing a SO out of jail is never fun. I had an ex BF I had to bail out of jail twice. Not for DUI though.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Kraut said:

have you never been drunk? PSA's, GAF lectures, and friend's horror stories pretty much go out the window when you are drunk, tired, and wanting nothing more than to get the hell home. Even when you are aware that you are too drunk to drive well, your alcohol riddled brain tends to find excuses like, "i'm only two minutes away" or "it's late, nobody will be on the road."
And no, its not an excuse, it s a reason, a reason to keep an eye on your friends when they drink, and to mind how much you yourself consume.

Fenderputty said:
You're a fucking idiot. I'm not trivializing the offense in any way but, you act as if she's the scum of the earth and can't learn a valued lesson. I've had one and won't ever get another one. What if my now wife thought like you?

Get off your fucking high horse. Good people make stupid decisions sometimes. She's lucky this time no one was hurt. I say lucky because that's what she was ... lucky. Worth breaking up over? Worth "teaching her some lesson" by not helping her financially? Hardly.

For me it would not about "teaching her a lesson", and it has nothing to do with insecurity. I'd dump her for purely selfish reasons and not feel the least bit bad about it. I'm a grown man who doesn't want a significant other who is an embarassment, a drain on my finances or time or emotions, or stupid enough to do something get behind the wheel after getting trashed. If I'm in a relationship, not married mind you, just dating someone and they are causing me significant grief through their careless actions, out on their ass they go. I live a bullshit free existance and like to keep it that way.

samus i am said:
I think his point is, even though it is illegal it is unintentional therefore a mistake.

Oh, Im sorry, I didnt realize someone unintentionally filled the gf with alcohol. Or did she ferment alcohol in her stomach?

Drinking and driving is a premeditated activity. It starts when you decide to drive to a bar alone. If you think you might drink, then either find a DD or leave your car at home and take transit or a cab.

Drunk people do not make rational decisions. The problem is, the decision to put yourself in that situation was made when sober. It's an enormous error of judgment. Fine, I concede that "mistake" as a word might work, but it is a series of mistakes, not just one.

Would I dump my gf of 3 years? Probably not. But I'd lose an enormous amount of respect for her.

How many here talking about how anyone who would dump their gf for making a mistake would turn around and dump their gf of 3 years when cheated on?

Cheating. A mistake. Nobody gets physically hurt, it's just harmless sex.

DUI. A mistake. Potentially lethal to multiple parties. Not harmless.

Why is it standard to dump someone who cheated on you, but "unrealistic" to dump someone who did something that could have ended in multiple deaths?

aoi tsuki

jamesinclair said:
Why is it standard to dump someone who cheated on you, but "unrealistic" to dump someone who did something that could have ended in multiple deaths?
Because most monogamous relationships aren't built around the principle that the other person won't get drive while drunk.

Edit: i wouldn't say it's unrealistic to dump a girl for driving under the influence, but i wouldn't take a singular incident as grounds to do so.

Ri'Orius

Hey OP, out of curiosity, was this the first time she's driven drunk (to your knowledge)? Or just the first time she got caught?

And if she's driven drunk before (while you two were together), how did you react then?

Kraut

missbreedsiddx said:
have you never been drunk? PSA's, GAF lectures, and friend's horror stories pretty much go out the window when you are drunk, tired, and wanting nothing more than to get the hell home. Even when you are aware that you are too drunk to drive well, your alcohol riddled brain tends to find excuses like, "i'm only two minutes away" or "it's late, nobody will be on the road."
And no, its not an excuse, it s a reason, a reason to keep an eye on your friends when they drink, and to mind how much you yourself consume.

Yup. Spent a very cold October night in my car and woke up the next day for work. I won't jump on my high horse; even though I can keep a clear head whether drunk or high, I know others don't have that luxary and are prone to stupid mistakes.

Like you said, friends keeping an eye out and watching your own intake is critical to avoid ever getting into a situation where you're stuck making a potentially life altering choice while not in top mental capacity. Everybody has the ability to think ahead before they're drunk, and when you don't do so, the "booze made my judgement poor" card doesn't cut it.

mm04

I hope you're ready to throw down a nice sum of money. My nephew was arrested for a DUI and that was roughly a $5k mistake on his part after all was said and done. Not to mention that her insurance premiums (if she can find anyone to insure her) are going to be punishing for years after. Obviously, he was lucky that nobody got hurt etc.

Unless you intend to marry this woman, you will regret ever helping fund this mistake of hers. I think of all the money I wasted in previous relationships trying to "help out" when things went bad and I could kick myself for it. You will never be reimbursed for this and as others have said, you're enabling her. I hope it turns out well for you in the end.

Aselith

Koshiba said:
Well.. I just have to say bailing a SO out of jail is never fun. I had an ex BF I had to bail out of jail twice. Not for DUI though.

Twice? TWICE with the goats? Oy vey, shannannana!

For me it would not about "teaching her a lesson", and it has nothing to do with insecurity. I'd dump her for purely selfish reasons and not feel the least bit bad about it. I'm a grown man who doesn't want a significant other who is an embarassment, a drain on my finances or time or emotions, or stupid enough to do something get behind the wheel after getting trashed. If I'm in a relationship, not married mind you, just dating someone and they are causing me significant grief through their careless actions, out on their ass they go. I live a bullshit free existance and like to keep it that way.
I hope you find that magical human being. I really do. The rest of us have to put up with people that are sometimes a drain on our emotions, or cause a little embarassment.

Samara said:
Funny story here. My cousin came home drunk, and my aunt proceeded to empty her bladder in his mouth for he was wasted and "not responding". He ended in the hospital from alchol poisining.
Your aunt peed in his mouth? Was she drunk too? Cause that's pretty fucked up.

Azzurri

TONX said:
DUI. She went out for a drink with her friends from work after she got off work, she called me around 7 yesterday absolutely trashed and on the phone. I told her it was a stupid idea to be driving, let alone on the phone and driving in her condition... didnt hear from her for hours afterwards.

Got a call at about midnight from her at the police station, crying and saying she got arrested.

Shits gonna be hard for her (and for me) since her job requires her to drive to different areas daily.

In a way i think its a good thing because she did have a drinking problem, but now i paying bail and court costs and all that shit, money's gonna be tight. Going later to pick her up from jail. Ugh.

Any similar DUI stories?

So you're still keeping her around?

Samara said:
What the fuck :lol :lol

Rubenov

Wickerbasket said:
Your aunt peed in his mouth? Was she drunk too? Cause that's pretty fucked up.

She probably had some water-works/incest fantasies and proceeded to realize them since he didn't know what was going on.

Just make sure you are a hard ass and that she learns the lesson.

I don't mean to be a dick and I can't say that I've never done it. But it is a bad thing to be doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom