• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So my gf got arrested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

grumble

Kenak said:
Last night I got wasted and drove my friend's car back to my house (about three blocks away or so). Didn't see a single car and cruised going ~20 the whole way. Not a hitch.

Don't do that shit. If it's only three blocks away, just walk and then go pick it up the next day. DO NOT DRIVE DRUNK. It is NOT OKAY.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
Zenith said:
well, not that. I wouldn't leave my GF in jail no matter how dumb she'd been, and obviously she doesn't have money on her for bail.

but the stuff about court costs, etc coming in the future. Why would money be tight? Isn't she planning to pay you back the bail.

Well, firstly, no one is getting dumped. Thats not what this is about. And im not sure you can pay for your own bail from inside of jail.

To update this, her brother is paying bail, hes basically his surrogate father because her dad died and her mom is MIA. I'm probably paying for the impounded car.

I'm gonna help her with court costs and whatnot. I know this might come to a surprise to some people but i care about her and don't want to see her struggle in a financial crisis.

Apath

grumble said:
Don't do that shit. If it's only three blocks away, just walk and then go pick it up the next day. DO NOT DRIVE DRUNK. It is NOT OKAY.
I wasn't actually wasted, was just being obnoxious. I was a little drunk -- 5 beers. It's not something I make a habit of either.

Samara

If you're saying that she has this problem, then I think getting arrested is a big step for her to realize that she has a problem.

Perhaps it would be best to talk to her about it, and figure out ways to treat her alcoholism

opticalmace said:
I agree with this.
I wouldn't bail unless this has happened before. If this is her first time i'd give her a chance. My brother got a DUI cops waiting outside the bar. He shouldn't have been driving but anyway he spent the night in jail and was released. Got a work restricted license for like a year but he's fine now and won't touch alcohol at a restaurant if he's driving. Learned his lesson I suppose.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Samara said:
If you're saying that she has this problem, then I think getting arrested is a big step for her to realize that she has a problem.

Perhaps it would be best to talk to her about it, and figure out ways to treat her alcoholism

so fuck she made a masrake and drink drove how the fuck is that alcoholism gtfo

OP if you dont stand by your GF you dont deserve a GF

Samara

Kenak said:
I wasn't actually wasted, was just being obnoxious. I was a little drunk -- 5 beers. It's not something I make a habit of either.

I envy you men, I take 2 beers and I'm a mumbling idiot. Got totally wasted on a Pina colada once!

so fuck she made a masrake and drink drove how the fuck is that alcoholism gtfo

I am sorry but, the OP stated that this happened multiple time before. That's enough to know that she has a problem with alcohol

Kentpaul said:
Ah op unlucky your GF cought drink driving , happens to the best of us buddy , should be a good 18 months till shes clear
How do you draw the line between "the best of us" and the drunk drivers that wipe out some young kid crossing the street?

GAF is ruthless sometimes. I wonder about some of you sometimes. I would help out my girlfriend in a heartbeat and she would do the same for me. You don't just drop someone you care about because you made a mistake.

Ri'Orius

Kentpaul said:
Ah op unlucky your GF cought drink driving , happens to the best of us buddy , should be a good 18 months till shes clear

Um, no? The best of us don't drive while drunk. 'Cause we're not stupid.

Oh, well if it was just fi-DON'T. DRIVE. DRUNK.

Is it really that hard?

Talamius

IANAL (haven't used that one in a while), but some states will issue driving permits for business ONLY. However if she drives a company vehicle, her job is likely toast.

dejay

Banned
VGChampion said:
GAF is ruthless sometimes. I wonder about some of you sometimes. I would help out my girlfriend in a heartbeat and she would do the same for me. You don't just drop someone you care about because you made a mistake.

Yeah, a lot of people here with perfect partners that have never made a mistake apparently.

Aesius

VGChampion said:

That's because most of GAF doesn't have a S/O and doesn't drink :lol

She goes out drinking with friends without you, gets completely wasted, is prone to doing stupid shit without thinking straight beforehand...

Why are you still with this girl again?

Kentpaul said:
OP if you dont stand by your GF you dont deserve a GF

You stand by your girl when she fucks up once or twice. Not when she has a recurring problem that she's not making any effort to deal with, and then relies on you to clean shit up, which is what the OP made it sound like.

Clydefrog

Kenak said:

That aside, you could've still gotten in deep shit for that. My old college roommate was camping with friends one time, drinking, and at one point they had to change campsites. The girl who drove was completely wasted so my roommate drove her car no more than a mile to another campsite. But he didn't make it there - a trooper stopped him. DUI. BAM.

Beardz

TONX said:
I'm gonna help her with court costs and whatnot. I know this might come to a surprise to some people but i care about her and don't want to see her struggle in a financial crisis.

She should care about herself.

Apath

Ri'Orius said:

Is it really that hard?
I was under the impression that there is in fact a limited legal range for driving while under the influence. Having alcohol in you != over the limit.

Anyways, I'm done. Tones don't transfer well over the internet.

grumble said:
Statistically you're more likely to get hurt/lose your life walking a fee blocks instead of driving it. This isn't looking at likelihood of hurting others.

Exhumed

Why are you paying her bail/court costs? I cannot fathom why anyone would do this unless they are direct family. Let her learn her lesson. Tough love but support her through all the crap. Sometimes the easiest path is not always the best.

DUI is serious business. A friend of mine's bf is still dealing with the effects of a DUI after 2.5 years. He still attempts to drive around drunk but once you remind him of the consequences he winces and declines driving. It's not worth it to give them a slap on the hand because it can affect her life so drastically, better to learn the first time imo. If she gives you crap for not bailing her out, bail yourself. No one deserves an easy out for something so easily avoidable.

I got a DUI when I was 21. I registered a .09 on the meter. Totally sucked.

We were at a bar until just after midnight. I was planning on being there until it closed. I had had a couple drinks and was winding down for the drive later. At midnight my friend buys shots for the table we're at. I take one reluctantly thinking it would be my last for the rest of the night and I went to the bar to grab some water. Not 5 minutes later my friends all want to leave. Furthermore, they want to take a busier street home because they need Del Taco. I got popped for tossing my cig out the window.

Cops were kinda cool though. They didn't impound or search my car.

In the drunk driving school they make you go to, I learned a couple things. One being that coke does about as much damage to your brain as a night of hard drinking. The second being that something like 30-40% of the people with one will get another at some point. That was my last one and I'm almost 30.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Awful thread, way too much sympathy for the girlfriend. It's a crime that can have horrible consequences that's so easy to prevent that there is no excuse.

Zenith

Banned
Kenak said:
Last night I got wasted and drove my friend's car back to my house (about three blocks away or so). Didn't see a single car and cruised going ~20 the whole way. Not a hitch.

people have been banned for boasting about that on gaf.

You are not in full control of your body. You have ingested a poisonous neurotoxin. Your judgement and responses are impaired. It is not something that only happens to "other" people, who coincidentally share the exact same attitude as you, and you'll be fine because you're so cool. It is down to pure luck if you don't have an accident on the way back, not your l33t ability to hold your liquor.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Kenak said:
I was under the impression that there is in fact a limited legal range for driving while under the influence. Having alcohol in you != over the limit.

Anyways, I'm done. Tones don't transfer well over the internet.

No. I believe you can be issued a DUI without even moving if you are behind the wheel and the car is on. It's all based on the cops interpretation of "operating" a motor vehicle while intoxicated.

TONX said:
Well, firstly, no one is getting dumped. Thats not what this is about. And im not sure you can pay for your own bail from inside of jail.

To update this, her brother is paying bail, hes basically his surrogate father because her dad died and her mom is MIA. I'm probably paying for the impounded car.

Serious talk, if the situation was reversed would she help you out? Would she still be with you?

Only you can answer that.

poweld

TONX said:

Of course you can pay your own bail. It's the entire reason bail exists- to make the criminal return to the court. In the case that you can't afford your own bail, either someone else pays (friend or bail bondsman) or you have a cozy stay in prison for a while.

Exhumed said:
Why are you paying her bail/court costs? I cannot fathom why anyone would do this unless they are direct family. Let her learn her lesson. Tough love but support her through all the crap. Sometimes the easiest path is not always the best.

DUI is serious business. A friend of mine's bf is still dealing with the effects of a DUI after 2.5 years. He still attempts to drive around drunk but once you remind him of the consequences he winces and declines driving. It's not worth it to give them a slap on the hand because it can affect her life so drastically, better to learn the first time imo. If she gives you crap for not bailing her out, bail yourself. No one deserves an easy out for something so easily avoidable.

As someone who's had one, the bail and court costs aren't the expensive part. It's the lifted insurance over the next 5-7 years.

Sorry to hear it. I feel bad for all the drunk drivers. It is something that just about everyone does in their life, but some are unlucky enough to get caught and some are even more unlucky and cause harm. Hopefully a good lawyer will ease the pain to come for you.

duderon said:
No. I believe you can be issued a DUI without even moving if you are behind the wheel and the car is on. It's all based on the cops interpretation of "operating" a motor vehicle while intoxicated.
Actually I don't think the motor has to be on. Dont get in the drivers seat. ..

TONX

huacst21 said:
Serious talk, if the situation was reversed would she help you out? Would she still be with you?

Only you can answer that.
I honestly believe she would, without a doubt.

I'm gonna pick her up soon and i have no idea how shes gonna be, or what to even say.

Baki

Ri'Orius said:
Um, no? The best of us don't drive while drunk. 'Cause we're not stupid.

Is it really that hard?

:lol :lol

So true.

butts

I was hit by a drunk driver. I amazingly didn't get injured but it totalled my dad's truck.

Fuck drunk drivers and anyone who acts like its not a big deal.

Fenderputty said:
As someone who's had one, the bail and court costs aren't the expensive part. It's the lifted insurance over the next 5-7 years.

They have raised the prices significantly over the last couple years. My friend got a DUI and will be in debt for a long time because of it.

missbreedsiddx said:
Thats too bad, we all make mistakes.

If you start shooting a gun into the air, and a bullet hits and kills someone, is it a mistake?

Kenak said:

Is this still a bannable offense on gaf? I hope so.

Dali said:
He shouldn't have breathalyzed to begin with. I know of a drunkard piece of shit lawyer that always gives this advice. You may get your license suspended and taken to jail, but that's better than a DUI on your record plus you have better ground to stand on in court.

Actually, in most states, refusing to take the test is worse. In some states you will be held down and have blood drawn.

BigGreenMat said:
Sorry to hear it. I feel bad for all the drunk drivers. It is something that just about everyone does in their life, but some are unlucky enough to get caught and some are even more unlucky and cause harm. Hopefully a good lawyer will ease the pain to come for you.

Just about everyone does? WTF is your problem? Anyone with half a head of sense does not drive drunk. Driving drunk and getting caught it not "unlucky". Murder is not "even more unlucky"

Fenderputty said:

I have a cousin that got a DUI in california. It ended up costing around $5,000 in fees + bail + lawyer + fines. And that doesnt even include insurance hikes.

Saerk

Samara said:

She will have to go to AA meetings for months, at least in California you do.

TONX

Spruchy said:
Shouldn't you be contacting a lawyer and exploring your options? Might be able to get a breathalyzer on your wheel, case dismissed, turn it into an OUI, etc.

Her brother has the lawyer situation taken care of. FYI this is in Florida so it falls under GAF jurisdiction.

She'll be alright. Jail is great, bologna sadwiches, or peanut butter and jelly if you prefer. Sit down watch TV with the boys, then go up to your cell and take an afternoon nap.

dejay said:
Yeah, a lot of people here with perfect partners that have never made a mistake apparently.

This isn't just a little mistake, she could have potentially put herself and several other people in the morgue. Also, if he is cohabitating and his insurer gets wind of this his premiums will go through the roof. Drunk driving aside, I would not be in a serious relationship with the type of girl who would go to a bar and get hammered without me. Hell, I wouldn't be in a serious relationship with the type of girl who gets hammered period.

I say dump her. It's just a girlfriend, you can get a better one.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
jamesinclair said:
If you start shooting a gun into the air, and a bullet hits and kills someone, is it a mistake?

yes. do you not know the definition of mistake?

MikeOfTheLivingDead said:
This isn't just a little mistake, she could have potentially put herself and several other people in the morgue. Also, if he is cohabitating and his insurer gets wind of this his premiums will go through the roof. Drunk driving aside, I would not be in a serious relationship with the type of girl who would go to a bar and get hammered without me. Hell, I wouldn't be in a serious relationship with the type of girl who gets hammered period.

I say dump her. It's just a girlfriend, you can get a better one.
Wow insecure much?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom