• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People with skin |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
AVclub said:
Gay is not a race. Neither is a specific sport. You don't see "Irish-GAF" or "Russian-GAF" or "Black-GAF" or "Italian-GAF" It seems exclusionary to me, and making it an "official" thread of a specific race of people just rubs me the wrong way.
There is nothing exclusionary about this thread. You have every right to post here as you would in any other thread on the board.

Boogie9IGN

AVclub said:
Just expressing my displeasure with the idea of this thread, not it's specific content. I don't mean to disrupt your private little club. Please carry on. Can't wait to see the "Official White People thread of Wonder Bread and Whole Milk"

comemierda_tshirt-p235367970161856289qw9y_400.jpg

Leunam

AVclub said:
Just expressing my displeasure with the idea of this thread, not it's specific content. I don't mean to disrupt your private little club. Please carry on. Can't wait to see the "Official White People thread of Wonder Bread and Whole Milk"

Either way makes you sound like a whiny fucking child.

People in here are having a great time sharing their experiences but god forbid it offends you that maybe a specific culture of people like having their own thread.

AVclub said:
Yeah, yeah, yeah...we've got people from south america, central america, north america, maybe canada and even parts of Europe posting at the moment. Most of the people who've participated could probably identify with being white, black or just about anything.

Don't try to make into something racial when we've got over ten ethnicities and people who you would consider a part of a different "race" posting, and having a good time.
Edit:
I just remembered something. It seems like a large part of latin America has been at odds with the US over it's views of race as of late. I remember studies where people from Brazil would identify other Brazilians with up to 127 different phrases(or colors I guess). It's a pretty common phenomenon throughout Latin America and it's at odds with the US where they try to lock us down to one color and one ethnicity.

Ah...American imperialism at work.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
SolarPowered said:
Yeah, yeah, yeah...we've got people from south america, central america, north america, maybe canade and even parts of Europe posting at the moment. Most of the people who've participated could probably identify with being white, black or just about anything.

Don't try to make into something racial when we've got over ten ethnicities and people who you would consider a part of a different "race" posting, and having a good time.
Edit:
I just remembered something. It seems like a large part of latin America has been at odds with the US over it's views of race as of late. I remember studies where people from Brazil would identify other Brazilians with up to 127 different phrases(or colors I guess). It's a pretty common phenomenon throughout Latin America and it's at odds with the US where they try to lock us down to one color and one ethnicity.

Ah...American imperialism at work.

Exactly, like I said earlier it's cultural not racial.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
AVclub said:
Make it then dude, I wouldn't have a problem with it, at least not the same problem you seem to have with this topic.

The problem you'll run into is that similarities end right at skin color. Here we've been able to relate to each other through our similar cultures as has already been discussed. Among "WhiteGAF" Italians would not be the same as Irish folk, or Russian folk, or fourth generation Americans, etc.

Whatever tho, we were bound to run into a trouble maker at some point.

SimleuqiR

Boogie9IGN said:
http://rlv.zcache.com/comemierda_tshirt-p235367970161856289qw9y_400.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Right clicked, saved. :lol

And yes, Hispanics can be very "white" if we are talking complexion.

Boogie9IGN

SimleuqiR said:
Right clicked, saved. :lol

And yes, Hispanics can be very "white" if we are talking complexion.

Yep yep, people get confused and scared when I turn out to be fluent in Spanish and Cuban. Hell, my mom is super white and blonde and my sister makes a ghost look dark :lol

Along with don't like:
6730_1_lr.jpg

His face alone makes me want to explode with rage

newsguy

AVclub said:
You know why I take issue with this, because most threads in the OT qualify as " the white thread." It's not to say I don't identify with lots of threads here, but for example: I started a thread about punishing kids. While it was divisive, the majority of the people who agreed wih spanking were latin or black. We grow up getting chancletas thrown in our direction. Imagine if every thread was "Platano-GAF, what's your favorite way to cook them?" Or seeing the "post your pics" thread and it's flooded with just us brown folks. Well that's how it is to us who were raised in a different culture, so let us have this little thing without your Fair and Balanced ™ opinions. And BTW you would have to combine all of the Italian, Russian, Irish, Polish etc. - age threads to even get a fraction that Hispanics represent in the US

Boogie9IGN said:
Yep yep, people get confused and scared when I turn out to be fluent in Spanish and Cuban. Hell, my mom is super white and blonde and my sister makes a ghost look dark :lol

Along with don't like:
6730_1_lr.jpg

His face alone makes me want to explode with rage
That guy looks just like that Justin Bieber kid with the big teeth.
:lol
Fake edit:
You know the one thing that I love about hispanic food like the one a few posts above?

It's the fact that there is so much summer food to choose from. Our weather demands that we have refreshing food that falls lightly on the stomach. There is nothing better than some tacos, a nice salad or grilled meat/vegetables paired with refreshing tropical fruits.

I want to go get something from the Mexican restaurant downstairs now.

:(

SUPREME1

Banned
AVclub said:
Gay is not a race. Neither is a specific sport. You don't see "Irish-GAF" or "Russian-GAF" or "Black-GAF" or "Italian-GAF" It seems exclusionary to me, and making it an "official" thread of a specific race of people just rubs me the wrong way.

Cry moar, plz.

Chavelo

Yeh, Carlos Mencia is like the "Mexican" we don't like to be associated with...

Man, I still cringe whenever somebody brings him up for the sole reason that he's "funny".... :-(

Now this guy...
29by100.jpg

A motherfucking legend, I tell you what!

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
AVclub said:

I bet a lot of shit rubs you the wrong way

AVclub said:

jesus, it's a focused thread, not an exclusionary one, you're being an idiot, hopefully it's on purpose...

Zeke

my mom told me when I was kid my grandma would rub an egg on me or take me to a curandero anyone else ever do that?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
AVclub said:
You are such a chode. For starters, I am a pasty white European Hispanic (read: Spanish) and we have people from all kinds of shades in this thread. Everyone is allowed to come here and discuss whatever they please, and barring certain jokes the thread is being kept in English so gaffots from all places can talk about music, sangria or whathefuckever.

Goddamn. Don't you have a thread to make about Obama sending the Navy Seals to patrol the parks?

On a lighter note...

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
Zeke said:
my mom told me when I was kid my grandma would rub an egg on me or take me to a curandero anyone else ever do that?

yes, its for take out the evil or something, theory says that the egg takes all the evil, in Peru curanderos also rub a guinea pig on you :/

Sacred%20Valley%20-%20curandero%20prepares%20packet_jpg.jpg

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Zeke said:

My grandmother tells a story about a baby that had the evil eye on them. They took it to some kind of witch doctor or something, and the baby had an egg rolled over them, then they cracked the egg and it was hardboiled (the evil was drawn inside and it cooked it or something).

levious

dgenx said:
yes, its for take out the evil or something, theory says that the egg takes all the evil, in Peru curanderos also rub a guinea pig on you :/

yeah, and the trick is to get a rotten egg so that the person you're doing it to thinks something actually happened once you crack it open...

dgenx said:
Are the guinea pigs still alive?

That would be kind of hilarious if so. Very creepy if they are dead though.

I've never seen the curandero thing in DR.
Edit:
I wonder how old most posters in here are. I can vaguely remember some of the people you guys are mentioning, but they seem a bit before my time.

Edit:
I REMEMBER WHO THAT GUY IS NOW. He was kind of creepy.:lol

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.

Zeke

SolarPowered said:
Are the guinea pigs still alive?

That would be kind of hilarious if so. Very creepy if they are dead though.

I've never seen the curandero thing in DR.
Edit:
I wonder how old most posters in here are. I can vaguely remember some of the people you guys are mentioning, but they seem a bit before my time.

Edit:
I REMEMBER WHO THAT GUY IS NOW. He was kind of creepy.:lol
I thought we all had our versions of a curandero, for the record I'm 25 going on 26 next month

Boogie9IGN

Did anyone else watch ¿Qué Pasa, USA? I loved that show's reruns when I was growing up in Miami. It was a sitcom about a Cuban family adjusting to life in Miami's Little Havana. First bilingual sitcom ever I think

ReiGun

Greetings from Black-Gaf. Just wanted to say that the last few pages have given me a boner, made me hungry, and got quite a few laughs. In other words, awesome thread guys.

I really should learn to speak Spanish again. I was pretty good at it before I quit taking classes in the 11th grade. /rambling

Boogie9IGN said:
Did anyone else watch ¿Qué Pasa, USA? I loved that show's reruns when I was growing up in Miami. It was a sitcom about a Cuban family adjusting to life in Miami's Little Havana. First bilingual sitcom ever I think
I've never seen it before, but this clip is hilarious.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG9ZlKKyWjA
Daughter: Have you ever engaged in prostitution?
Old lady: Yeeeesss, very good, I like dis very much!
:lol :lol :lol
Zeke said:
I thought we all had our versions of a curandero, for the record I'm 25 going on 26 next month
22 here.
ReiGun said:
Greetings from Black-Gaf. Just wanted to say that the last few pages have given me a boner, made me hungry, and got quite a few laughs. In other words, awesome thread guys.

I really should learn to speak Spanish again. I was pretty good at it before I quit taking classes in the 11th grade. /rambling
There was a lot of tension between black kids and hispanic kids at my school so most of the black kids always took French. It's a real shame that stuff like that gets in the way of learning something.

Boogie9IGN

SolarPowered said:
I've never seen it before, but this clip is hilarious.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG9ZlKKyWjA
Daughter: Have you ever engaged in prostitution?
Old lady: Yeeeesss, very good, I like dis very much!
:lol :lol :lol

22 here.

:lol:lol oh god, I'm buying the DVD set next paycheck no matter what

EDIT: From the official site
ON THE STREET
Spanish

English
guarejaus - a warehouse
Don Jon Silva - Long John Silver's restaurant
Bosguagon - the Volkswagon Beetle
Pisa Ho - Pizza Hut
el autopar - the local auto parts shop
Guendis - Wendy's fast-food restaurant
Cayo Hueso - Key West
Guáchinton - Washington, D.C.
rentar - to rent property
Mallamibish - Miami Beach
íncontas - Income Tax
Guindos - Computer operating system
Maquintoch - Computer operating system
jonrón - a homerun
estraique - a strike
fombo - a fumble
kique - placekicker
joqui - hockey
Klin Iswoo - Clint Eastwood
Yon Wayn - John Wayne
Yack Nicelson - Jack Nicholson
Elbi Presli - Elvis Presley
Jonfri Bogar - Humphrey Bogart

As a Haitian-American, and a resident of NYC (and currently with a Puerto Rican girlfriend!), it's amazing how much of this thread is relevant to me, and has been for my whole life :lol

Props to you all in HispaniGAF. To all my homies in Dominican GAF, I'm sorry I'm Haitian - please don't hate me :(

yencid

captmcblack said:
As a Haitian-American, and a resident of NYC (and currently with a Puerto Rican girlfriend!), it's amazing how much of this thread is relevant to me, and has been for my whole life :lol

Props to you all in HispaniGAF. To all my homies in Dominican GAF, I'm sorry I'm Haitian - please don't hate me :(
i dont hate you! i had haitian friends in DR! :D

AVclub

This has nothing to do with skin color.

If you like a particular genre of music or tv, a style of food, or even a religion, I see no problem in creating threads for those things. It just seems wrong to setup an official thread for a race and start using a different language in it. Rather than sharing culture with others, you are intentionally excluding people from the discussion by having jokes at their expense in a language you think they can't understand (as with the T-shirt picture).

I've seen threads here about different countries, regions, and cultures before. We've had Muslim-GAF and Euro-GAF and that's fine because it's understood that different races of people can participate. However, "HispaniGaf" is about being Hispanic. It reinforces the point by putting a language not everyone knows right in the subject.

If this was a thread about GAFers in Mexico or Spain or Cuba, it would be different. Because anyone can live in those areas and doesn't have to be born Hispanic.

But that isn't the case. I look at this thread and it feels like a private club where people who aren't born into a certain race are outsiders. On a public discussion forum, that sends the wrong message, in my opinion.

levious

hispanic is not a race dummy... if you want, I could make you hispanic by injection real quick...

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
levious said:
hispanic is not a race dummy... if you want, I could make you hispanic by injection real quick...
Oddly enough, that was the way Hispanic culture began as we know it. I think you may be on to something...

yencid

AVclub said:

If you like a particular genre of music or tv, a style of food, or even a religion, I see no problem in creating threads for those things. It just seems wrong to setup an official thread for a race and start using a different language in it. Rather than sharing culture with others, you are intentionally excluding people from the discussion by having jokes at their expense in a language you think they can't understand (as with the T-shirt picture).

I've seen threads here about different countries, regions, and cultures before. We've had Muslim-GAF and Euro-GAF and that's fine because it's understood that different races of people can participate. However, "HispaniGaf" is about being Hispanic. It reinforces the point by putting a language not everyone knows right in the subject.

If this was a thread about GAFers in Mexico or Spain or Cuba, it would be different. Because anyone can live in those areas and doesn't have to be born Hispanic.

But that isn't the case. I look at this thread and it feels like a private club where people who aren't born into a certain race are outsiders. On a public discussion forum, that sends the wrong message, in my opinion.

ITS
A
CULTURE

EDIT: why cant you just tell us your experiences with hispanics or maybe how you want to bang a hispanic girl or sooomething. Stop bitching about it, you're seriously the first person to do it.

Nizz

Wellington said:
I remember being told to STFU when Mercado was on. :|

Dude had such a cult following.
And he's looked the same for like the last twenty years! Dude doesn't age.

mantidor

AVclub said:

I think is completely harmless.

Straight people might feel like outsiders in the gay thread too, that doesn't mean the thread is excluding people, anyone is welcome to talk about the topic.

Spanish should not be encouraged and should be kept to a minimum though. But a little spanish doesn't harm at all, threre's plenty of threads with something in the title that only insiders can understand, even if it's in english.

Zeke said:
:lol Was just about to post this exact same thing, but what happened to me, I used to have random nightmares when I was a little kid, that my mom told my grandma and she rubbed a egg around me. :lol it actually worked and had less nightmares

Also checking in for HispaniGaf :D
I'm from Peru but living in Boston
I want to go back and visit Peru , I've only been then once, when I was 7. It's been too long since I've been there.

also since people have mentioned it already, I drink Ginger ale when I'm sick and it cures me up

ReiGun

SolarPowered said:
There was a lot of tension between black kids and hispanic kids at my school so most of the black kids always took French. It's a real shame that stuff like that gets in the way of learning something.

That's unfortunate. For me, there just weren't enough Hispanic kids or even people in my grade school years for that to be an issue. Now that I think about it, that kinda sucked because I didn't get any real exposure to the culture outside of textbooks. I think I had my first, confirmed, hispanic classmate in 9th grade. Like, I know there are Hispanic people in Baltimore, but for some reason I was never in class with them. :/

On a happier note: Seriously, some of the food in this thread looks delicious. Hook a brother up with some recipies. :lol

yencid

ReiGun said:
That's unfortunate. For me, there just weren't enough Hispanic kids or even people in my grade school years for that to be an issue. Now that I think about it, that kinda sucked because I didn't get any real exposure to the culture outside of textbooks. I think I had my first, confirmed, hispanic classmate in 9th grade. Like, I know there are Hispanic people in Baltimore, but for some reason I was never in class with them. :/

On a happier note: Seriously, some of the food in this thread looks delicious. Hook a brother up with some recipes. :lol
Recipes, what are those? Hispanics just know how to make em, we are born with it! :D

the best way to learn is to learn from someone that makes it in person. Go find yourself some hispaniFriends

ReiGun

yencid said:
Recipes, what are those? Hispanics just know how to make em, we are born with it! :D

the best way to learn is to learn from someone that makes it in person. Go find yourself some hispaniFriends
That's sounds like my mom. :lol I swear I've never seen that woman ask how to make anything.

Alright then, time to hit up these Hispanic women on campus. My stomach demands it! :lol

yencid said:
i dont hate you! i had haitian friends in DR! :D

Tell that to some of your women, man. DR's got some fire, but my experience with DR women has been pretty lulzy so far. Then again, all of the Dominican chicks I've tried to talk to so far have been in/from the Bronx, so maybe I'm just too Brooklyn to appeal. :lol

Anyway, going through this thread I'm amazed at how much of the food I eat/drink still to this day. I wake up with a cup of Bustelo every goddamn morning, no joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom