• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

jediyoshi

Azure Phoenix said:
Hang on, did you permanently remove that filter by changing a setting in Dolphin or is this just some kind of temporary technical glitch with the emulator? The difference is just astonishing.

Well the filters and hud move around infront of the camera like this <|||
Free look in opengl lets you move the camera infront of them |||<
But you dont get the hud and some other stuff drops out completely (like the sky in some cases)

If you finagle with the camera you can see them all separately. From the bottom up it looks like the hud, then color correction, then the crappify/blurry one.
n2dgm8s.jpg

To be fair to the game, I think some of it is opengl exagerrating how blurry it looked by default since it's not that severe in d3d9. Still isn't as crisp as without the filter altogether and it'd be nice without the color correction.
dolphin2010-05-2616-32rmw7.jpg

snack

Hey everyone! I just came across this thread and it seems very interesting to say the least. I play quite a bit of SSBB on the Wii with my brother but since we have a pretty good desktop computer, I was thinking of playing it on there instead. How much better are the graphics on the computer compared to the Wii?

Fitz

It's vastly better, especially if your PC can handle 1080p with at least the minimum amount of SSAA, Nabs posted some shots on page 7.

snack

Is it possible to use my GC controller on the emulator? What do you guys generally use to play the games on your desktop? K/B? Controllers?

Fitz

As long as you have a USB adapter or something for it, then yeah. Most people use either some form of Wii controller, or a 360 controller I believe.

Colkate said:
As long as you have a USB adapter or something for it, then yeah. Most people use either some form of Wii controller, or a 360 controller I believe.

Right now, I am using a PS3 controller, because I left my Xbox 360 wired controller with a friend back up at college so I probably won't see it again until the Fall. It works beautifully. Now I'm ripping my GCN catalog of 1,000,000 games(actually 30-something) to my PC.

Nabs

snack said:
Hey everyone! I just came across this thread and it seems very interesting to say the least. I play quite a bit of SSBB on the Wii with my brother but since we have a pretty good desktop computer, I was thinking of playing it on there instead. How much better are the graphics on the computer compared to the Wii?

guesswhicho6lk.jpg

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
I'm still surprised at how crisp the textures are for SSBB. You'd never notice the little details unless you're playing on an emulator.

Eteric Rice

Jangaroo said:
I'm still surprised at how crisp the textures are for SSBB. You'd never notice the little details unless you're playing on an emulator.

SSBB, NSMBWii, and a few other titles were probably made with better textures in case they want to port them to their new system in the future (sort of like Pikmin, DK, etc, coming to the Wii from the GC).

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I just got a GTX 260 and 2.66GHz Quad core.

Will I be able to play GCN games at 60fps?

Jangaroo said:

That is what frustrates me about the wii. So many talented people creating such beautiful art assests for these gorgeous games, only for the end result to have shit image quality leaving most of that hard work unnoticed by people who play games.

Dolphin emulator is a godsend... Now if it would just let me hear music in my galaxy 2.

Dacvak said:
I just got a GTX 260 and 2.66GHz Quad core.

Will I be able to play GCN games at 60fps?

Which "2.66ghz quad core"? If its an i5 it'll run much faster than 2.66ghz in dual core mode so your answer will be yes for a lot of stuff. Ocing is still recommended though. GPU is more than fine.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
psy18 said:
getting slowdowns here... is processor upgrade/oc the only way to get a stable 60fps? I've enabled lock threads, idle skipping etc
My cpu is Core 2 E8400@3ghz (everything stock), 8800gt

Anyway, it's time to dig in my GC library again!:D
Go into the task manager and set Dolphin to high priority, it gets rid of most slowdowns for me, at least. Maybe it's just me having a shitload of processes in the background though :lol.

Similar enough CPU, E8500.

Stallion Free said:
The one on the left is the emulator, the one on the right is obviously the Wii version. We are getting there!
Both are the emulator though, seeing as Link would have a shadow if running on the Wii?

If I recall correctly Brawl always casted shadows on the characters.

Reposted from the Galaxy thread. I took some more pics in Dolphin.

No spoilers here, pictures are from within the first two worlds. Some of the pics have Bowser (not fighting him... Just him), so if you want to be surprised as to how he looks like, don't click.

2tyv.png

Kicking a familiar enemy:
http://i50.tinypic.com/2yn13zt.png

Bar hopping:
http://i48.tinypic.com/k2d2xe.png

Were these in Galaxy 1?
http://i47.tinypic.com/33wwtav.png

Bowser:
http://i49.tinypic.com/2vkxe7r.png

Bowser again:
http://i46.tinypic.com/iw0u1d.png

JADS

Pleasantly surprised that SMG2 seems to work fine with some minor issues, cant wait to play the game on the real thing. I had the urge to play a certain obscure gamecube RPG and so far it seems to work fine. :D

Dascu

psy18 said:
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m254/amonamano/Dolphin/Ikarugaaaa.jpg[IMG]

getting slowdowns here... is processor upgrade/oc the only way to get a stable 60fps? I've enabled lock threads, idle skipping etc
My cpu is Core 2 E8400@3ghz (everything stock), 8800gt

Anyway, it's time to dig in my GC library again!:D[/QUOTE]
Have you tried setting Safe Texture Cache to Fast?

farnham

Banned
JADS said:
Pleasantly surprised that SMG2 seems to work fine with some minor issues, cant wait to play the game on the real thing. I had the urge to play a certain obscure gamecube RPG and so far it seems to work fine. :D

wow never noticed the polygon characters standing so much out...

JADS

farnham said:
wow never noticed the polygon characters standing so much out...

They don't if you play the game in the standard resolution. Its like RE1, 2d background plus 1080P don't really mix :lol

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Any tips of getting better performance with Mario Galaxy 2? Runs between 40-60 fps right now, but 40 fps is too slow.

Other than that, it looks really good. It's such a shame the game is held back by the Wii hardware. At least emulation is coming along well.

John

brain_stew said:
Which "2.66ghz quad core"? If its an i5 it'll run much faster than 2.66ghz in dual core mode so your answer will be yes for a lot of stuff. Ocing is still recommended though. GPU is more than fine.
Can Q9400's run in dual core mode?

ggp759

Banned
Hey guys sorry for my ignorance but how am i supposed to replace the cursor on the screen in games such as SMG2? I have a real wii and a real wiimote plus nunchak but on the pc i cant have the sensor as on the wii. How are you playing SMG2 without that? thanks

dark10x

ggp759 said:
Hey guys sorry for my ignorance but how am i supposed to replace the cursor on the screen in games such as SMG2? I have a real wii and a real wiimote plus nunchak but on the pc i cant have the sensor as on the wii. How are you playing SMG2 without that? thanks
1) You could use a wireless sensor bar
2) You could just turn on your Wii if you are using the same screen (that's what I did).

Nabs

dark10x said:
Any tips of getting better performance with Mario Galaxy 2? Runs between 40-60 fps right now, but 40 fps is too slow.

Other than that, it looks really good. It's such a shame the game is held back by the Wii hardware. At least emulation is coming along well.

what cpu are you using?

dark10x

What's up with the hitching? Take F-Zero, for instance. Right from the main menu you get these initial hitches (sound skipping, low framerate, almost like disc access problems) before it smooths out to 60 fps. Any ideas?

what cpu are you using?
i7 930 @ 3.0GHz

jbeatle

Neo Member
Hey fellas, hope you're not too tired of hearing macbook-dolphin questions to lend a little a help. My specs are: 2.13 ghz Dual core, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M. I can run FFX in Pcsxe2 at around 30-40fos. How successful would i be able to emulate Wii/GC games with my current setup? I was hoping to give SMG a try, to be honest. Thanks, great thread.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
jbeatle said:
Hey fellas, hope you're not too tired of hearing macbook-dolphin questions to lend a little a help. My specs are: 2.13 ghz Dual core, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M. I can run FFX in Pcsxe2 at around 30-40fos. How successful would i be able to emulate Wii/GC games with my current setup? I was hoping to give SMG a try, to be honest. Thanks, great thread.
You probably aren't going to get playable performance on SMG, it's easily one of the most demanding games and a 3+ ghz processor is pretty much required.

vg260

How is Tatsunko Vs. Capcom running on this now? Last I heard it was still pretty choppy regardless of computer specs.

darkwings

Banned
dark10x said:
What's up with the hitching? Take F-Zero, for instance. Right from the main menu you get these initial hitches (sound skipping, low framerate, almost like disc access problems) before it smooths out to 60 fps. Any ideas?

i7 930 @ 3.0GHz

that's the CPU I am using as well. Why dont you crank it up to 3.6 GHZ? It runs fine overclocked for me with stockcooler. What memory are you using?

dark10x

darkwings said:
that's the CPU I am using as well. Why dont you crank it up to 3.6 GHZ? It runs fine overclocked for me with stockcooler. What memory are you using?
Using 6gb of DDR3-1666 (Corsair) memory.

I'm only at 3.0GHz, but I guess I could try cranking it up a bit.

Goron2000

best junior ever
building a new computer friday:
i5 750 @ 4Ghz
ATI 5830 1gb
4gb ddr3 @ 1600

Will this spec run Dolphin at a decent rate?

Top Bottom