• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bamco: Wii and DS market has "prolapsed"

TunaLover

Namco Bandai’s Olivier Comte says that too many bad games have dented consumer appetite

The flood of bad games – and the damaging effects of piracy – have ruined the software market on Wii and DS according to Namco Bandai’s VP of sales, marketing and publishing Olivier Comte.

“It’s a tough market,” he told MCV in an exclusive interview. “We had a lot of product, and the average quality of a game on DS and Wii is very, very bad. So in the mind of the consumer today, to buy a DS or Wii game is to buy a game that isn’t very good.

“One of the reasons the DS collapsed is piracy, it is very clear, but also it is a fantastic machine and very easy to develop for. It was possible for three kids in a garage to make a game for it.

“DS is the most successful platform ever, but all my kids’ friends at school have a DS with an R4. They have 100 games for no money. So yes, the market has collapsed for the DS and Wii.”

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/39369/Wii-and-DS-market-has-collapsed

I think that pretty much seal the fate of Tales of Graces localization =(

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Namco Bandai, no matter how much you give your opinion, you won't be in the Top 5.

This assertion of a collapsed market is backed up by Nintendo's inability to sell their first-party Wii and DS games in any significant amounts.

Oh wait a minute...

vgachi57

it's just as easy to jail break the iphone and still most people don't know about it or how. yeah, piracy is pretty rampant, but most consumers are still legit.

I don't see what's wrong with having an R4, there's no reason at all to assume it's related to piracy. Publishers looking for excuses as usual.

Mama Robotnik said:
This assertion of a collapsed market is backed up by Nintendo's inability to sell their first-party Wii and DS games in any significant amounts.

Oh wait a minute...
Yeah, but Nintendo makes high quality software, which is totally unfair to third parties and stuff.

Takao

Banned
Isn't Scamco the only publisher that the PSP is their largest software mover or close to it? lol

After nearly all of their DS and Wii games bombed, I'm not surprised they'd say this.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Localized Vesperia PS3 or bust.

Mama Robotnik said:

Oh wait a minute...

I think this feeds into it where consumers only trust Nintendo games and assume anything not made them is going to be crap.

Boney

Banned
leroy hacker said:
Seems like a much more honest view of their own software than most third parties are capable of.
I don't think he's talking about Bamco's software, just the general view.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Bring me Graces, Innocence, and Hearts and I'll fucking show you just how much the Wii and DS markets have NOT collapsed, Scamco.
Well, actually, no I won't. But do it anyway!

Segata Sanshiro said:
No, it really hasn't, Bandai-Namco dude. Just because you can't find the thread, doesn't mean it's not there.
It's possible that third parties' initial treatment of both platforms caused consumers to be wary of anything not carrying the Nintendo label.

I believe that in the case of the Wii, third parties starved whatever emergent "core" market for their games that might've existed early on in the cycle and fans of their games just gave up on the system.

The thing *I* don't understand about the notion of piracy killing the DS is that piracy is just as doable (and in fact, more beneficial to the pirate) on the PSP and that system has undergone a renaissance in software sales in Japan.

It's all very odd.

Plumbob

“It’s a tough market,” he told MCV in an exclusive interview. “We had a lot of product, and the average quality of a game on DS and Wii is very, very bad. So in the mind of the consumer today, to buy a DS or Wii game is to buy a game that isn’t very good.

Activelifeextremechallengecover.jpg

250px-Food_Network_Cook_or_Be_Cooked_Coverart.jpg

We_Cheer_Coverart.png

250px-Namco_Museum_Remix.jpg

256px-Tamagotchipartyonwii.jpg

Hmm...

Speevy

Banned
Reknoc said:
Cook or be cooked sounds incredibly sinister.

The Cooking Mama is the one you should watch out for. Don't be surprised to find the disappearance of your Miis coinciding with a freshly prepared stew.

viciouskillersquirrel said:
It's possible that third parties' initial treatment of both platforms caused consumers to be wary of anything not carrying the Nintendo label.

I believe that in the case of the Wii, third parties starved whatever emergent "core" market for their games that might've existed early on in the cycle and fans of their games just gave up on the system.

The thing *I* don't understand about the notion of piracy killing the DS is that piracy is just as doable (and in fact, more beneficial to the pirate) on the PSP and that system has undergone a renaissance in software sales in Japan.

It's all very odd.
Ehn, I'm not going to argue for Wii, it's a tough nut to crack. But on the DS, Scribblenauts, a brand new IP from a small developer, moved over a million units just half a year ago.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I like how people bring up Nintendo's first party games, as if Nintendo has ever cared about third party support in the past decade.

Hitokage said:
I like how people bring up Nintendo's first party games, as if Nintendo has ever cared about third party support in the past decade.

They care, just not enough to tell third parties that their games suck ass.

Takao

Banned
trinest said:
Namco Musium Remix was probably their only good Wii game!

Klonoa am cry.

Their DragonBall games, Tales games, and that Munchables on Wii don't have the ability to cry anymore.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Ehn, I'm not going to argue for Wii, it's a tough nut to crack. But on the DS, Scribblenauts, a brand new IP from a small developer, moved over a million units just half a year ago.
In that case, the problem really is quality.

Hitokage said:
I think they do care - cross promoting Monster Hunter and Dragon Quest in the west is evidence enough of that. I just think that they'll never do something like that at the expense of their own titles - third party royalties will never trump sales of their own software. When looking at how successful their own titles are, that kind of defensiveness is understandable. Contrast that with someone like Sony, where their own IPs (up until this gen) never quite packed the same punch as the biggest of the third parties' IPs.

Thus, they make gestures toward getting the games that do what Nintendon't. You'd never see them promoting (say) a hypothetical 2D platformer from a third party because that might eat into the sales of something like NSMBW.

This makes things tricky for third parties who do make titles that compete with Nintendo's own.

Speevy

Banned
Here's what I've never understood about some of the shovelware you'll see on these systems.

I cannot imagine it costing any more to produce a good XBLA or PSN game than it would cost to make Petz: Dog Crap, so why not make a simple shooter or action game based on tried and true gameplay? Sell it for whatever you want.

"DS software sales have collapsed so it's too risky of a move, so instead we're porting all our Tales games and focusing one of our major new IPs (God Eater) on the PSP."

...Right...

Top Bottom