• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In Defense of Japanese Gaming: Why The Dislike for Japanese Games in Recent Years?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You haven't, it sucks but with the fall of console gaming in Japan, they want to fuel console game sales in NA or Europe and they don't think their games will sell here, thus they're trying to change them and it's apparently bad to like them anymore :|

Slavik81

Not much has changed from my perspective. Critically lauded western PC developers started making console games and continued to be critically lauded.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Himuro said:
What formulaic jrpg? Most of the jrpgs released this gen's console hardware are anything but formulaic.
Honestly? I blame this on Squenix. The DQ formula seems like it got its first real shake up in terms of mechanics just recently with DQ IX (which the west hasn't gotten yet), and FF13 represents what a lot of people dislikes about JRPGs. When you look smaller, then you find the awesome stuff like Persona, or TWEWY, or Nier

MechDX

Hate to beat a dead horse but the best example is still RE5 vs Dead Space. Dead Space is what RE should have evolved into.

I dislike many Japanese games because they haven't evolved enough since NES days. I also dislike almost everything about anime (narrative and visual style, character designs, etc.), one of the biggest influences on Japanese games. Also, the Japanese style of storytelling is to me overly formulaic and often nonsensical. The cultural gap also is a turn-off.

Jonnyram

The issue is that Western games have progressed, improved, and massively raised the bar. Japanese games are still the same as they were last gen. Developers are not developing, so to speak. They are just churning out the same stuff.

Slavik81

The_Technomancer said:
Honestly? I blame this on Squenix. The DQ formula seems like it got its first real shake up in terms of mechanics just recently with DQ IX, and FF13 represents what a lot of people dislikes about JRPGs. When you look smaller, then you find the awesome stuff like Persona, or TWEWY, or Nier
To add another example, Demon's Souls has gotten practically never-ending praise.
Which it rightly deserves.

Aeana

Many gamers are experiencing western games for the first time this generation, so they feel very fresh in the face of Japanese games, which are perceived as being stagnant. In reality, I think they're about equal in terms of that sort of thing, but there have been a lot of cool new ideas recently from both sides anyway.

As far as RPGs go, stuff like Resonance of Fate and The Last Remnant are pretty unique, but they don't really get very much recognition since nobody actually played them.

Prax

General cultural backlash.
You know, it comes in waves.
Things reach a popularity peak, then get treated as super lame, then get revived and loved again.

Although the "MOE" and harem thing.. I hope goes away forever.

Lost Planet 2 comes to mind for me, I love the game, but the controls are so god damn ridiculous sometimes, especially in the mechs. It could be way more simple and streamlined.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Himuro said:
- Whether it's an action game - "Oh God, Mikami's making another action game? I hope it doesn't have shit controls. Japanese games never seem to have good controls in games, ever. Why are they so behind?" while at the same praising a game like Grand Theft Auto IV five seconds later.

:lol

i love it.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The_Technomancer said:
Honestly? I blame this on Squenix. The DQ formula seems like it got its first real shake up in terms of mechanics just recently with DQ IX (which the west hasn't gotten yet), and FF13 represents what a lot of people dislikes about JRPGs. When you look smaller, then you find the awesome stuff like Persona, or TWEWY, or Nier
I think it's really weird though that DQ gets singled out by Western gamers as being stale or formulaic. It's not very popular here...I really doubt most complainers have really examined the series and seen the various innovations it has brought to gaming throughout its existence. I think many don't realize or appreciate the narrative innovations in 4 or 5, for example, and just see them as plain RPGs with boring mechanics.

The_Technomancer said:

Squenix used to be a trend setter. They got afraid, and now they're just following the crowd.

Sydle

Jonnyram said:
The issue is that Western games have progressed, improved, and massively raised the bar. Japanese games are still the same as they were last gen. Developers are not developing, so to speak. They are just churning out the same stuff.

Yep.

The Technomancer

Y2Kev said:
I think it's really weird though that DQ gets singled out by Western gamers as being stale or formulaic. It's not very popular here...I really doubt most complainers have really examined the series and seen the various innovations it has brought to gaming throughout its existence. I think many don't realize or appreciate the narrative innovations in 4 or 5, for example, and just see them as plain RPGs with boring mechanics.
From a structural standpoint, the way that DQ played around with narrative and generations and such, yes, the series has been very innovative over the years, but from a mechanical standpoint, it seems to have remained "run around a large world in a semi-linear way encountering random monsters and fighting with the exact same battle system as the NES"

I actually love the advances that DQ tried to make with 4 and 5 and such, and wish that they had been more influential. Stuff like that could be really really good given a top-notch writing staff.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
The_Technomancer said:

DQ? One of the consistently well written and consistently awesome RPG series? Seriously?

People just hate on what they don't understand, and there are a lot of console gamers this generation that didn't play 2 generations ago. They don't really get Japanese games (no matter how similar they can actually be to Western titles).

Also, there's the constant "LOL ANIMU" bullshit, which gets on my nerves.

Open Source said:
The cultural gap also is a turn-off.

And that doesn't make you take a hard look at yourself and wonder why you can't appreciate other cultures? Not to say that Japan has a superior culture or some other dumb shit statement.

Does it not concern you when you cannot appreciate what another culture has to offer? That doesn't make you worry about your own social growth as a citizen of the planet Earth?

i'll play anything, as long as it doesn't have guns and bros. guns is fine, bros is retch-worthy. i do like a lot of japanese games because they don't seem to be afraid to make games in niche genres, and i get a general sense of less focus-groupery.

Open Source said:
I dislike many Japanese games because they haven't evolved enough since NES days.

nice. you gonna back that up or just let it sit there?

Vorg

Banned
MechDX said:
Hate to beat a dead horse but the best example is still RE5 vs Dead Space. Dead Space is what RE should have evolved into.

In terms of controls I agree. Still, RE5 has A LOT more replay value with the insane amount of weapon upgrades and a lot of other unlockables. Plus local and online co-op for the first time in the series. I love Dead Space, mind. I just think people tend to dismiss RE5 because of it, when they're both awesome games for different reasons.

Imm0rt4l

Jonnyram said:
my sentiments exactly

commissar

I think having a preference for Japanese games is an odd thing, as is a preference for American/Eastern European games etc. Hopefully as gaming culture matures we'll see further recognition of particular studios etc. instead of arbitrary geographical groupings.

I think the rise of Japanese anime in popular culture has linked Japanese to mean "anime" styled to some extent.
Couple that with the "moe" backlash/hatefest of which I'm a part of, and you can understand that certain connotations come with today's preconceptions of Japan.

A lot of those themes have been present for years, but the recent focus only exacerbates the problem as gamers grow older, have spouses/children and genuinely get creeped out by the "moe".

There's other reasons to do with cinematics and interactivity which I might elaborate on later, as I'm typing on a phone :/

the flashy "cool" moves that they have to perform like the FF movies always some slowmo shit that they have to perform with some corny line.

DR2K

Banned
Jonnyram said:

:lol

The Technomancer

thetrin said:
DQ? One of the consistently well written and consistently awesome RPG series? Seriously?

People just hate on what they don't understand, and there are a lot of console gamers this generation that didn't play 2 generations ago. They don't really get Japanese games (no matter how similar they can actually be to Western titles).

Also, there's the constant "LOL ANIMU" bullshit, which gets on my nerves.
I didn't say anything about the writing in DQ. I agree, DQ has been a beacon of consistent writing and interesting stories. But the problem was that the mechanics barely evolved, something I'm glad to see IX addressing, as it bodes well for the future of the series.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
People need to be more open-minded about gaming. I'm sick of the close-mindness you see from both western-orientated gamers and Japanese-orientated gamers.

Because Japan moved to handheld gaming (smart choice!) and the West views that as a downgrade.
This might be the case, i can't think of as many memorable japanese titles for consoles as i can for handhelds.

Outside of Nintendo and Capcom, there just aren't that many truly fantastic grade A games coming out of Japan these days. I mean look, Nintendo and Capcom have always been at the top. But the other devs just aren't releasing stuff of the same quality or at nearly the same rate as last generation. In the PS2 era, a month didn't go by where there wasn't a great Japanese developed game released. Now we're lucky to get three or four in a year.

Which makes me sad because I generally prefer Japanese developed games.

Hey I'm into Tri-Ace still bringing the insane storylines and action rpg style. I don't care if Infinite Undiscovery and Star Ocean IV were almost universally panned, I still had fun playing them.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
The_Technomancer said:
I didn't say anything about the writing in DQ. I agree, DQ has been a beacon of consistent writing and interesting stories. But the problem was that the mechanics barely evolved, something I'm glad to see IX addressing, as it bodes well for the future of the series.

Well, to be honest, DQ has stayed the same because the fans wanted it to stay the same. The mechanics have always just been the vehicle by which the player experiences the world, rather than the main attraction of the interaction (such as in FF).

DQIX is really not all that different. It just has a number of side quests and the ability to design your own character. It's still DQ.

Lazy vs Crazy said:
Outside of Nintendo and Capcom, there just aren't that many truly fantastic grade A games coming out of Japan these days. I mean look, Nintendo and Capcom have always been at the top. But the other devs just aren't releasing stuff of the same quality or at nearly the same rate as last generation. In the PS2 era, a month didn't go by where there wasn't a great Japanese developed game released. Now we're lucky to get three or four in a year.

They're coming out. Just not in America. A lot of great games are being passed for localization these days.

Also, there are PLENTY of awesome Japanese games coming out, but if people don't want to consider the DS worth playing, then you miss out on a lot of them.

The Technomancer

thetrin said:
Well, to be honest, DQ has stayed the same because the fans wanted it to stay the same. The mechanics have always just been the vehicle by which the player experiences the world, rather than the main attraction of the interaction (such as in FF).

DQIX is really not all that different. It just has a number of side quests and the ability to design your own character. It's still DQ.
And no random battles, don't forget. The problem I had with the DQ mechanics was/is that while they keep the good stuff from game to game, they also always retained the infuriating stuff like, well, random battles.

Xenoblade seems like its shaping up to be a good evolution of the genre, maintaining the basic stuff that made JRPGs great, but acknowledging that there are some things the west did better, and learning from them. Not changing what it is, just taking influence.

I blame the shooter crowd for this growing trend. I do think Aeana's point that a lot of folks are experiencing western games more in recent years (since until 5 or so years ago the vast majority of western developers stuck to the PC) is probably playing a role in it, too.

demosthenes said:
Squenix used to be a trend setter. They got afraid, and now they're just following the crowd.

Yeah, now Square just creates generic RPGs that are exactly what people have seen before like Final Fantasy XIII and The Last Remnant. Wait, what?

S1lent said:
I've noticed and been bothered by this trend as well. Not sure where it comes from.

The Japanese really opened the gaming world. However, in recent years there have been alternatives to the Japanese dev community. These alternatives speak more to western cultures. That theory coupled with the Japanese focusing more on handhelds and smaller games lead the western market away from the JRPG. Oh, and this is JMHO.

cvxfreak

Himuro said:
I think the RE5 vs Dead Space argument is the best take on Japanese vs Western gaming philosophy.

RE5 shouldn't have "evolved" into what Dead Space is. RE5 is a totally different type of game.

RE5 is a game based around limitations -- whether mechanical or control-wise -- to create a game with tension to enhance the gameplay.

Dead Space is a game where freedom in controls allows you ease of access to do whatever the fuck you want so long as the game allows it.

It's a conflict between two game design ideologies. One is pre-dominantly Japanese; the other is pre-dominantly western.

I see no reason as to why RE should be like Dead Space as that puts more Dead Space's on the market and less RE's. Variety is good. Every game doesn't have to play the same or control the same.
This. Not to mention the sales disappointment Dead Space as a franchise has been.

The worst for me is when Japanese developers try to imitate Western games at the expense of a game's identity and at the expense of what that developer actually has strength in.

The_Technomancer said:
And no random battles, don't forget. The problem I had with the DQ mechanics was/is that while they keep the good stuff from game to game, they also always retained the infuriating stuff like, well, random battles.
They still have random battles, you can just see the enemies now. The encounter system basically works the same way as ever, but you can see the guys now.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
I enjoyed RE5 much more than Dead Space, although I also liked Dead Space.
I've always found both games fairly equal i never got the whole "dead space is what RE5 should have been" argument i hear a lot. RE5 does things better then DS, and dead space does certain things better then RE5.

I don't really care about JP vs West. If it's good I'll play it.

Although I probably buy more westren stuff since I don't really like anime and a lot of japanese games draw from that. I don't care for playing a 14 year old kid with crazy spiky blue hair but that's just me and if there is a market for it more power to them trying to cater to that market.

The best game I played this gen is a japanese one, Demon's Souls, although you wouldn't know by looking at it. I'm looking forward to The Last Guardian and Marvel vs Capcom 3 so Japan still have a lot of interesting stuff for me.

I think both sides fall to often in copying who is making the most money right now but there is still some creativity to be had if you look around.

Lazy vs Crazy said:

I am truly disappointed in Capcom games this generation. What are your favorite games?
this is an honest question

commissar

Lazy vs Crazy said:
What is it about them being Japanese which grabs your imagination? I'm not looking to troll or anything, just curious as to what themes/mechanics/flavours grab you :)

thetrin said:
They're coming out. Just not in America. A lot of great games are being passed for localization these days.

Also, there are PLENTY of awesome Japanese games coming out, but if people don't want to consider the DS worth playing, then you miss out on a lot of them.
Yeah I kinda assumed this thread was about console gaming because handheld gaming is still largely dominated by Japanese developed games.

aeolist

Banned
I used to love Japanese games (and still do sometimes) but I've gotten the distinct feeling that they've been stuck in the 90s for a while. They don't seem to have developed a lot of the more modern habits I find appealing in Western games, like sane auto-save systems, less-terrible AI, interfaces that aren't a chore to operate, and voice acting that may not make my ears bleed half the time.

I tend to like Nintendo games though because (surprise!) they do these things well. Online support is still way beyond them though.

fernoca

I agree that there's nto a hate of japanese games per se, but a dislike of their usual cliches..

The emo guy that hates everything, the happy girl that jumps around making peace signs, said girl usually wearing a really short skirt, female characters that are size DDD; but under 17 years old, the ones in school uniform and in many cases are girls with skirts so short that in reality they woudl be suspended from school for wearing said uniform, the badass guy thet usually smokes and uses guns, swords or both...and so on..

RPGS tend to be the worst offender for some, because is like they need to have one characters fro meach cliche..for some reason..

Azure J

Pureauthor said:
Because Japan moved to handheld gaming (smart choice!) and the West views that as a downgrade.

This, they're getting behind the new trend and it's portables.

As for the question the thread is asking, I've always noticed it, especially in the time past '05 or so, but I find it funny that I never really thought much of it until this thread. The way I see it, both sides are offering up some crazy cool things to try out and enjoy, but the gaming public which is always looking towards the new is fascinated by what the west is bringing to the table. This isn't necessarily because what the west is doing hasn't been done before, but because it's the first time that it's all been done on the console front and that's where the bulk of the gamers are.

On another related note, since this thread seems like a good place for it, does anyone else think that Japanese devs changing to accommodate western audiences is a bad idea? (Note: Not hyperbolic "OMG WTF are they doing?!" bad, just kinda "bad".) I understand that in the interests of business, companies try to adapt and create products that resonate with a greater target audience. At the same time though, what if by pursuing the "western" and changing up their game plans, they start losing what makes Japanese games Japanese once the lines start blurring?

(I really hope that all reads better than it looks. :lol)

Jonnyram said:

This was my initial thought but then I came to my senses and thought it may be just my taste to western games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom