• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue City announced [Update 2: Presentation Recap Video Post 626]

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/10/07/new_shenmue/

The third Shenmue game has been announced at last! Sega is currently developing Shenmue City for Yahoo! Japan and DeNA's new Yahoo! Mobage service.

Yahoo! Mobage is a PC-based social games service that saw its grand opening today. The service was running in beta since September 21. The name combines Yahoo!'s name with the name of DeNA's hugely popular "Mobagetown" mobile service.

Shenmue City was listed by Yahoo! Japan and DeNA today as one of the premier titles for the new service. A press release from the two firms says that Shenmue City is the first entry in the Shenmue series in 8 years and will be released this Winter.

The release refers to the game as "the third entry" in the series, although this probably isn't meant to mean that it's Shenmue III.

Shenmue City will feature alongside such games as One Million Person Ambition of Nobunaga from Tecmo Koei and Persona Social from Atlus on the new service. Yahoo and DeNA say they have over 100 titles lined up, including games from Electronic Arts' Playfish brand.

To sample Yahoo! Mobage for yourself, visit the portal site.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
If you want Shenmue, go play Ryu Ga Gotoku. The series has existed for like, 6 years now.

Foffy

Banned
Oh, Japan.

I expect/hope to see some port to some other platform, similar to a number of other games have in the past. At least for the hardcore fans.

Why do companies do this?

thetrin said:
If you want Shenmue, go play Ryu Ga Gotoku. The series has existed for like, 6 years now.
I've played both Shenmue and Yakuza...they uh..have nothing in common aside from the main characters punching people and possibly enjoying games at the local bar.

Anyway sorry flawful but..
yoink

w7wLd.png

Actually, I made a big booboo

The new service is actually a PC version of the Mobage service. I'm correcting my story now :(

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Let's be honest guys, this is all your fault. You failed to buy enough copies of Shenmue II yet you kept asking for a sequel for years. This was the only probable outcome.

Also schadenfreude.

B.K.

Snuggler said:
OH MY FUCKING G

..............oh.

Nevermind.

If it makes you feel any better, Capcom made a new Mega Man Legends game for cellphones about three years ago and now, we're getting Legends 3. Maybe the same thing will happen for Shenmue fans.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Sega just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the Japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Shenmue City, nor will they purchase any of Sega's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Sega has alienated an entire market with this move.

Sega, publicly apologize and cancel this game or you can kiss your business goodbye.

This is just mean. Wow. I don't even care about Shenmue but I know how a lot of people were so bummed about the trilogy not being complete. Damn I would be raging. :lol

Top Bottom