• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I Got Mario Galaxy 2 for Xmas... and I already hate it

And I already hate it. I mean, why did they add all these little boundaries and shit? In the first one, right out of the gate, you could zoom around planets in tight little orbits and the camera would track you. It was such a sweet dynamic. If you fell from a tall ledge or platform, in most cases you were fine because gravity would hook a brother up. In Mario Galaxy 2, by contrast, the very first planetoid in the game has a freakin' fence around it that blocks you from crossing over to the bottom hemisphere. WTF? I thought surely it was just in the intro section -- Nintendo wouldn't do something that dumb. Wrong. World 1 does the same shit. And in the CLOUDS no less. Yeah the world map isn't actually in space, you're in a cloudy sky. With black holes that kill you whenever you fall. It's still a badass game but these little design changes really screw things up at times. There are bits of magic in the first game that simply aren't captured here.

HAL_Laboratory said:
And I already hate it. I mean, why did they add all these little boundaries and shit? In the first one, right out of the gate, you could zoom around planets in tight little orbits and the camera would track you. It was such a sweet dynamic. If you fell from a tall ledge or platform, in most cases you were fine because gravity would hook a brother up. In Mario Galaxy 2, by contrast, the very first planetoid in the game has a freakin' fence around it that blocks you from crossing over to the bottom hemisphere. WTF? I thought surely it was just in the intro section -- Nintendo wouldn't do something that dumb. Wrong. World 1 does the same shit. And in the CLOUDS no less. Yeah the world map isn't actually in space, you're in a cloudy sky. With black holes that kill you whenever you fall. It's still a badass game but these little design changes really screw things up at times. There are bits of magic in the first game that simply aren't captured here.

What have you done?!?

*Grabs popcorn*

Nose Master

The gravity is different on every planet/level. Some are more traditional like that, most aren't. The first few levels are pretty mediocre, keep playing it.

Boney

Banned
You can jump over that fence, that's what I did. It's a 2 way choice between advanced players, and getting the ropes of how to play the game.

If you came in expecting tons and tons of spherical worlds, you're gonna hate this one.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Galaxy 2 is only decent for the first couple worlds, and the last
secret
world. But those ones in the middle are worth it, trust us. The game reaches some of the highest highs if you stick with it.

It is noticeably less heavy on the small planetoids though.

samoset

HAL_Laboratory said:
the very first planetoid in the game has a freakin' fence around it that blocks you from crossing over to the bottom hemisphere. WTF?
I'm pretty sure you can jump over that and a lot of other boundaries in the game if it bothers you that much. Part of the fun I had was figuring out how to skip portions of levels like that.

Well, I'm on world 3 and there seems to be a really big decrease in freedom in terms of navigating planetoids. Also the camera is fixed on lots more shit than MG1.

Ranger X

HAL_Laboratory said:

- You can jump over those fences in the first level :p
- There was cloudy skies with black holes in Galaxy 1
- Camera was also blocked in Galaxy more often than not. It's even more blocked in Galaxy 2 but most of the time it's the level being more complex or the level design simply demands so you don't see certain stuff.
- Gravity principles and behavior didn't change from the first game, it still hooks you up like you say.

Seriously, just play the game man. It's Galaxy but better, more complex, more fucked up, more imaginative, just better. Except maybe the soundtrack that will lose a bit of novelty.

ivysaur12

Banned
HAL_Laboratory said:

You can jump over the fence on the first planet. Get a running start and jump at the right time.

EDIT: Fuck beaten. Still, it's my GOTF.

mjc

I'll be honest, I didn't care for SMG1 or 2. They're well made games but they did not grip me like previous Mario games. I'm dead serious.

Ranger X said:
- Camera was also blocked in Galaxy more often than not. It's even more blocked in Galaxy 2 but most of the time it's the level being more complex or the level design simply demands so you don't see certain stuff.
- Gravity principles and behavior didn't change from the first game, it still hooks you up like you say.

Seriously, just play the game man. It's Galaxy but better, more complex, more fucked up, more imaginative, just better. Except maybe the soundtrack that will lose a bit of novelty.

By no means am I shelving the game, I fully plan to finish it.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Someone needed attention today.

IT'S A GREAT GAME!
I haven't played it in months and didn't beat it yet :(

Boney

Banned
HAL_Laboratory said:
Well, I'm on world 3 and there seems to be a really big decrease in freedom in terms of navigating planetoids. Also the camera is fixed on lots more shit than MG1.
Camara is just better. There's no way to say it isn't. Level structure is very different though, there's a focus on having a unique gimmick on every level, when Galaxy was more about spherical platforming. There's also less filler in this one.

You're gonna be one of those weird guys that not only think the first one is better, but that 2 is not that good.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Fantasy Final said:
Sounds like you just wanna play Mario Galaxy 1 again and not a new game.
Well to be fair Galaxy 2 is supposed to be a continued exploration of Galaxy 1's mechanics. And it really lessens the focus on "small planetoids" gravity hijinks and strongly emphasizes "jumping from wall to wall Inception-style" gravity hijinks.

Tain

mjc said:
I'll be honest, I didn't care for SMG1 or 2. They're well made games but they did not grip me like previous Mario games. I'm dead serious.

Yeah.

The game was just too damn slow to pick up, difficulty-wise. The worlds are pretty and cute and creative and everything, but I just couldn't get into it.

apana

I think the original Galaxy is slightly better but Galaxy 2 has so many amazing moments which make it tough to decide. Just keep playing, I've noticed that as time goes by my appreciation for Galaxy 2 goes up. The only game I think about at random moments, when I'm not playing it.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Do you guys remember what happened in the DKC thread when the first page was filled with crap?

Let's get this on track. There MIGHT be a good thread in here yet!

Thank you to those of you who made a serious effort to reply.

Joei

Hate is a heavily charged word. I personally like SMG1 more than 2, but 2 is far from a bad game. They do change a lot of things in this game and the levels seemingly shorter and more direct. This on also seems to be more random with the levels you play, where the first had a worlds with general themes. This one's also a much harder game than the first.

It seems that rather than make a sequel that followed the same exact style of the first, they kept the core mechanics the same, but did some tweaking to the way the levels were structured to the extent that it really does feel like a totally different game, at least to me it did. And I agree, I didn't feel it had the charm of the first one.

Y2Kev said:
Do you guys remember what happened in the DKC thread when the first page was filled with crap?

Let's get this on track. There MIGHT be a good thread in here yet!

Thank you to those of you who made a serious effort to reply.
Does that include me?

My first post I admit was jovial in nature, but the second was completely honest. I have yet to play. I like reading other peoples opinions and responding though. I can't imagine it will add anything to the conversation, being that I haven't played the game.

Am I in the clear as long as it doesn't deviate into illicit or just plain stupid stuff?

Llyranor

Does SMG2 have this stupid ray surfing thing in it? I just got SMG1 and have been really enjoying it, until I got to the ray surfing galaxy. Please tell me this is a very limited aspect of the game.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Thunder Monkey said:
Does that include me?

My first post I admit was jovial in nature, but the second was completely honest. I have yet to play. I like reading other peoples opinions and responding though. I can't imagine it will add anything to the conversation, being that I haven't played the game.

Am I in the clear as long as it doesn't deviate into illicit or just plain stupid stuff?
Um...you're fine. No one is in trouble. Just trying to avoid two pages of "u suck" (cause it's not the...most elaborate OP and the game is a sacred cow).

Y2Kev said:
Um...you're fine. No one is in trouble. Just trying to avoid two pages of "u suck" (cause it's not the...most elaborate OP and the game is a sacred cow).
Oh... so spanking is still on the table?

*wags tail*

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Weird complaint. Kind of a nick pick more than anything, but whatev...

I'm still fairly early in the game since I got it about a month ago, the platforming still feels as excellent as ever but it hasn't sucked me in quite like the first did last summer. I like most of the changes, like the removal of the level hub, but my one complaint is that the levels just aren't as exciting.

I loved the themed levels of SMG1, like Melty Molten, Toy Time, Gusty Garden...they all had distinct, fun themes and it was always exciting to unlock a new one. The levels in SMG2 (so far), have great design for platforming but in some ways they almost feel like the left over themes from SMG1, they just aren't as exciting to discover or explore. I've played several hours and I honestly can't even recall the names of any of them.

Still, it's an elite game and soon I will get back in and see what the rest of the game has to offer. I think part of my problem is that I just 121'd SMG1 for the first time this summer, so I didn't have a full 2 1/2 years to get hungry for it again.

Ranger X

Snuggler said:
Weird complaint. Kind of a nick pick more than anything, but whatev...

I'm still fairly early in the game since I got it about a month ago, the platforming still feels as excellent as ever but it hasn't sucked me in quite like the first did last summer. I like most of the changes, like the removal of the level hub, but my one complaint is that the levels just aren't as exciting.

I loved the themed levels of SMG1, like Melty Molten, Toy Time, Gusty Garden...they all had distinct, fun themes and it was always exciting to unlock a new one. The levels in SMG2 (so far), have great design for platforming but in some ways they almost feel like the left over themes from SMG1, they just aren't as exciting to discover or explore.

Still, it's an elite game and soon I will get back in and see what the rest of the game has to offer. I think part of my problem is that I just 121'd SMG1 for the first time this summer, so I didn't have a full 2 1/2 years to get hungry for it again.

Galaxy is just as diverse and also with distinct themes and traditional ones. It's just that there's a shockton more Galaxies so that's why you don't see all of them as distinctive as in Galaxy. Continue your game, you've seen nothing when "fairly early in the game" I swear.

Forkball

I'd say Super Mario Galaxy 2 is as good as the original. I wouldn't say I like it better though, since the original was so stunning and refreshing. SMG 2 was just more of the same, but that's not a criticism. I think the game really shines when you hunt after the green stars. It will really test your platforming abilities and you will be amazed that you can reach places in levels you never thought possible.

fernoca

Ranger X said:

Yeah, this was my reply to the OP.
I recently started playing the game a second time, and noticed that most of the stuff he was hating either was in the first game and he forgot or just ignored he could do it (like the jumping over fences). :p

mokeyjoe

I didn't like SMG much - I tried to but it just didn't click, it was too easy and, well, a bit boring. I liked SMG2 a whole lot more. The level design was more intriguing and the game was more challenging. Horses for courses I suppose.

Osuwari

Llyranor said:
Does SMG2 have this stupid ray surfing thing in it? I just got SMG1 and have been really enjoying it, until I got to the ray surfing galaxy. Please tell me this is a very limited aspect of the game.

the rays are gone in SMG2. they replaced the levels with flying levels and with some bird named Fluzzard and he controls way easiert than the rays.

Top Bottom