• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

old ass NBA tapes (NBA Superstars, NBA Jam Session, Come Fly With Me, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
512XQ6JGSYL._SS500_.jpg

d74e90b809a0fa1cdaa15110.L.jpg

519al3-%2BUvL.jpg

randomly watching Top Gun on Netflix last night, it made me realize that I actually don't associate "Take My Breath Away" with the movie...but instead, this Jordan video.

I wore the hell out of these videos back when I was like 10. I think they came free with a Sports Illustrated subscription or something? Thankfully, youtube seems to have a ton of clips from it. Some of my favs:

Dominique Wilkins (starts off slow, but love the editing starting at 1:42)
Charles Barkley (BANG BANG! I AM THE WARRIOR!)
Dr. J (I just realized this is the reason why I still know this song by heart, 20 years later, lol)
Larry Bird
Hakeem Olajuwon
Tim Hardaway/Chris Mullin (Killer Crossover son! Also...is that a neckbeard on Chris Mullin?)
Rock It
Are You Ready To Fly...with Shawn Bradley?

and this playlist has a ton of other videos

The other tape I used to watch constantly back in the day is Michael Jordan: Come Fly With Me.

I don't keep up with the current NBA as much, so uh, I guess this is a nostalgia thread. 20th century stuff only, lol

KamenSenshi

Wow I fell so old now. Same thing for "Take My Breath away", first thing that comes to mind is the jet sound and Jordan dunking.

Ducarmel

It's the cheesy music and sound fx that does it for me.

edit
Wasn't there another series call NBA fantastics

entremet

Man, I do miss the NBA on NBC era, or more specifically the Jordan era. Is NBA Inside Stuff still on? I caught that every Saturday. I mostly just follow the playoffs these days.

Most the current superstars just have no personally or charisma whatsoever these days. Kobe is probably the only one I can think of.

Aesius

I was just watching a retrospective on YouTube about the 95-96 Bulls (fuck the Super Bowl!) while blazed out of my mind. It was so entertaining, and so nostalgic that it brought a damn tear to my eye.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
They replay these occasionally on NBA TV. Hilariously awesome.

The Hardaway/Mullin bit to Wrecks n Effect remains the best.

numble

They definitely marketed the NBA more towards kids in the NBC era. Weird since back then fights were more common and players didn't have to wear suits on the sidelines.

turnbuckle

I miss the old NBA.
I miss NBA on NBC.

I have a hard time following the regular season anymore and the officiating I see even during the playoffs turns me off from the game. Basketball's my favorite sport to play so it kinda pisses me off that I find the professional games so unwatchable nowadays.

Ryu1999

I have a rip of my "Shawn Kemp: The Reignman" VHS sitting on my hd right now. The dunk on Alton Lister still brings a tear to my eye

David Stern has turned the NBA into what it is today.

Games back then were so much more exciting.

Yesterday's Superstars were so much better.

Sometimes I forget just how amazing Jordon was. Now it's all Hanes commercials, but goddamn, he was a god back in the day.

Also the shorts. Tiny tiny shorts.

dream

turnbuckle said:
I miss the old NBA.
I miss NBA on NBC.

I have a hard time following the regular season anymore and the officiating I see even during the playoffs turns me off from the game. Basketball's my favorite sport to play so it kinda pisses me off that I find the professional games so unwatchable nowadays.

Wait till you see what the refs call Ts for this season...

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I still have and I'm not sure who in my family even recorded it cause we are not a basketball family but I have on vhs a recorded from tv feed of the dunk contest when Jordan 1st did his from the foul line thing.

Shit is still fucking ZOMG amazing to watch even today!

bengraven

Jesus, I was never a sports guy, but even *I* had a nostalgic kick seeing the Come Fly With Me case up top.

Stuck said:
I'm actually really glad you made this thread. I loved my NBA Jam Sessions VHS tape as a kid, and I could not for the life of me remember what it was called. I specifically remember these two cuts, very silly in retrospect:

Don't Sweat the Technique

Rim Shaker

fuck yes, I used to get so hype off the Don't Sweat the Technique sequence

Also, damn I haven't heard the name "Gugliotta" in a while, lol

this reminds me of Saturday mornings watching Inside the NBA with Jeffery's boy toy Ahmad Rashad and Summer Sanders. Summer was the perfect cure for teenage morning wood.

summer-sanders.jpg

turnbuckle

Ninja Scooter said:
this reminds me of Saturday mornings watching Inside the NBA with Jeffery's boy toy Ahmad Rashad and Summer Sanders. Summer was the perfect cure for teenage morning wood.

summer-sanders.jpg

She was the only reason I watched Figure it Out on Nickelodeon.
She was recently in celebrity apprentice and looking very fine.

m3k

thanks! i loved this stuff... me and my friend were just talking about old nba

perhaps its just age but damn those were good years of ball, the early 90's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom