• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CBS Sports updated their top 50 NBA players list...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Undefined

I would rank lebron above kobe, but maybe not by that much.

I also believe shaq should be top 5. He was at Jordan levels of unstoppable at his peak.

TTG

50 point games is not a good metric to determine who is better. Efficiency, usage and FG% matter. Every GM past, present and future of presented with the opportunity would taken LeBron over Kobe every day of the week. There is no dimension where Kobe Bryant is a better basketball player than LeBron James, and saying so only serves to expose your very limited knowledge of the sport. It's like saying Chris Davis is better than Mike Trout because of home runs.

In the dimension where basketball is a 1 on 1 sport Kobe is a better player, in all likelihood.

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?
LeBum number 2??

Dwight , Durcant, Curry, Chris Paul, Wade, Pierce, Ray Allen over KAWAII??

Of course

Pierce and ray allen as well rn though kawhi should overtake them once he's retired

50 point games is not a good metric to determine who is better. Efficiency, usage and FG% matter. Every GM past, present and future of presented with the opportunity would taken LeBron over Kobe every day of the week. There is no dimension where Kobe Bryant is a better basketball player than LeBron James, and saying so only serves to expose your very limited knowledge of the sport. It's like saying Chris Davis is better than Mike Trout because of home runs.

Truth. That's coming from someone who hates Lebron.

I was there too! It went about how I expected, the team is just not good this year.

Fultz > Ball tho

Damn had I have known, I would have met up to say hi.

:(

And hell naw to your spoiler...but I am biased.

I would trade UCLA D'Angelo Russell for him, straight up if I could.

xfactor99

People here are massively underestimating Dwight Howard's career. He was an 8x NBA All-Star, 5x time all-NBA 1st team, 1x all-NBA 2nd team, 2x NBA 3rd team, and won DPOY 3 times. Those career accomplishments are actually better than many of the others above him on the list, such as Dominique Wilkins and Reggie Miller.

Just because people don't like him doesn't mean you can't deny that for a stretch of 5 years he was the most dominant center in the NBA.

Ric Flair

Banned
People here are massively underestimating Dwight Howard's career. He was an 8x NBA All-Star, 5x time all-NBA 1st team, 1x all-NBA 2nd team, 2x NBA 3rd team, and won DPOY 3 times. Those career accomplishments are actually better than many of the others above him on the list, such as Dominique Wilkins and Reggie Miller.

Just because people don't like him doesn't mean you can't deny that for a stretch of 5 years he was the most dominant center in the NBA.
He could have been so much more, which is why I think alot of people always sleep on him. His game never evolved

Temp_User

Lebron over ......

Kareem Abdul Jabbar (6MVPs and 6 championship rings)
Bill Russell (5MVPs and 11 championship rings)

...... recency bias, :smh:

It's impossible to judge pre-merger players. I don't know how you compare players like Wilt and Russell to Jordan and LeBron. Even in different eras it is really difficult.

I'd say this is true of the three major sports in America, and likely all sports. There is this grey area where a sport is desegregated and an influx of athletes rarely seen before slowly start to dominate, or it grows in popularity and more of the best athletes flock to it, and/or major rule changes and other elements make it so hard.

At the end of the day, what does the list represent? Is it most dominant of their time? Is it best in any era? Because this list and pretty much any list I've seen selectively chooses either criteria to arbitrarily choose a placement.

List are what they are, but there are a few massive faults here.

If Kareem is not at either 1 or 2 on your list, you shouldn't be making lists. Period, end of story.

Second, nobody is more overrated because of championships than Scottie Pippen. I mean at 22? The same Pippen who was the 3rd best player in Houston with two over the hill old guys? The same Pippen who was at .500 one season after MJ first retired and wanted to be traded? Pippen could've never carried a team for a long stretch. For a very short period, yes. But for a career? No way.

Pippen at 22 and Worthy not on the list is embarrassing. Worthy was a better player than Pippen. And it isn't even close. Defensively Pippen was better, but Worthy was no slouch either. And unlike Pippen, Worthy played better in the playoffs than during the regular season.

True, but he also had very little competition. And you could stop Howard by putting someone like Gasol on him and there was no need to double team him. If Howard played in a more dominant center era, where guys like Brad Daugherty are completely ignored because there were so many great centers in the league, he would've still been a great shot blocker and a rebounder, and that's about it. Every skilled big guy would've eaten him alive.

And just as a bonus, Kareem's thoughts on Howard.

https://youtu.be/g1HXnhfn11k

EDIT just noticed now, Chris Paul over Stockton? Yeah that beats Pippen as the biggest insult on that list. Stockon will be criminally underrated in ten years. Well, he already is. Best PG not named Magic.

i guess this is an alternative facts world where pau gasol didn't exist, you know the guy who literally bested kobe in ws/48 in 2009 and 2010 and was the best offensive player in the league.

if kobe played in today's nba he'd ostensibly be demar derozan. he wouldn't hold a candle to the superstars now.

DeRozan is very underrated but I guess he does copy Kobe. LeBron is #4 behind Kareem, Mike, and Russell.

DopeToast

Banned
I think one and two are correct.

These lists are so hard to make, but Dwight Howard doesn't belong anywhere near this list.

bionic77

List are what they are, but there are a few massive faults here.

If Kareem is not at either 1 or 2 on your list, you shouldn't be making lists. Period, end of story.

Second, nobody is more overrated because of championships than Scottie Pippen. I mean at 22? The same Pippen who was the 3rd best player in Houston with two over the hill old guys? The same Pippen who was at .500 one season after MJ first retired and wanted to be traded? Pippen could've never carried a team for a long stretch. For a very short period, yes. But for a career? No way.

Pippen at 22 and Worthy not on the list is embarrassing. Worthy was a better player than Pippen. And it isn't even close. Defensively Pippen was better, but Worthy was no slouch either. And unlike Pippen, Worthy played better in the playoffs than during the regular season.

True, but he also had very little competition. And you could stop Howard by putting someone like Gasol on him and there was no need to double team him. If Howard played in a more dominant center era, where guys like Brad Daugherty are completely ignored because there were so many great centers in the league, he would've still been a great shot blocker and a rebounder, and that's about it. Every skilled big guy would've eaten him alive.

And just as a bonus, Kareem's thoughts on Howard.

https://youtu.be/g1HXnhfn11k

EDIT just noticed now, Chris Paul over Stockton? Yeah that beats Pippen as the biggest insult on that list. Stockon will be criminally underrated in ten years. Well, he already is. Best PG not named Magic.
It feel the same way.

If you don't put him in the top 2 or at least 3 then the list is just some click bait garbage, which is obvious when they put LeBron at 3. I remember similar lists with people arguing whether Kobe was the 2nd or 3rd best player of all time after he won his 5th. I mean give them credit for winning but these guys will never be in Kareem's league.

watdaeff4

Thank you.

It feel the same way.

If you don't put him in the top 2 or at least 3 then the list is just some click bait garbage, which is obvious when they put LeBron at 3. I remember similar lists with people arguing whether Kobe was the 2nd or 3rd best player of all time after he won his 5th. I mean give them credit for winning but these guys will never be in Kareem's league.

That's the current "five minute attention span" syndrome. Wait ten years and suddenly these players will start falling down on that list. You win a title, that year you are ranked higher than you are supposed to. But for some reason Pippen is still really overrated, even though he retired years ago.

Chris Paul over Stockton is still the worst mistake on this list. That's just wrong on so many levels.

DopeToast

Banned
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/a/abdulka01.html

I guess I have to do it on every comment just to make a point. Well thankfully Bionic came to help me.

For a second there I thought you were about to post Dwight Howard's stats to prove a point, lol.

Kareem is amazing. I would probably put him three, and if I was compiling a hypothetical team he would absolutely, no doubt about it be my center every time.

Buuuut, I would probably still rank Lebron 2. Too each their own!

bionic77

For a second there I thought you were about to post Dwight Howard's stats to prove a point, lol.

Kareem is amazing. I would probably put him three, and if I was compiling a hypothetical team he would absolutely, no doubt about it be my center every time.

Buuuut, I would probably still rank Lebron 2. Too each their own!
I put Cedric Ceballos at 1,2 and 3 and have Jordan as the 400th best WNBA player of all time.

Both of our opinions are equally realistic.

I put Cedric Ceballos at 1,2 and 3 and have Jordan as the 400th best WNBA player of all time.

Amen.

Kareem had games like 30/17/8 assists/3 blocks in the Finals, when he was 38 years old, against one of the best frontcourts in NBA history. I love MJ to death and he's the most unstoppable perimeter player ever and most consistent as well, but if someone puts Kareem at number 1, I'm ok with that. Especially if you factor in his high school and college careers as well.

DopeToast

Banned

Wow, look who's got jokes.

I mean evidently the people of CBS Sports thought Lebron was good enough to put at number 2, so I think that opinion is a little more popular than you'd think.

Lkr

Just swap LeBron and Paul Pierce and we are good.
Download-File

Wow, look who's got jokes.

I mean evidently the people of CBS Sports thought Lebron was good enough to put at number 2, so I think that opinion is a little more popular than you'd think.

Kobe was ranked in front of Kareem on many lists when he was still playing. People were putting him in the top three which was just outrageous. If you tried to say that then, you would get killed on every forum. There's always a strong bias on what you see right now. Swap the Dallas and Golden State Finals so that Dallas happened last year, and nobody at CBS Would rank LBJ second.

And voting for Trump was also popular. Statistics/facts just don't support that popularity.

Temp_User

Counting rings smh

What? Didnt i listed the number of MVP's as well?

Both players ive mentioned have Lebron(4MVPs and 3 championship rings) beat in arguably two of the most meaningful statistic for judging greatness.

What? Didnt i listed the number of MVP's as well?

Both players ive mentioned have Lebron(4MVPs and 3 championship rings) beat in arguably two of the most meaningful statistic for judging greatness.
Bill Russell is 5'9 and the NBA had four teams back in 1947 when he was playing.
Kareem only got good when he had Michael Cooper and AC Green to carry him.

Lkr

Kobe was ranked in front of Kareem on many lists when he was still playing. People were putting him in the top three which was just outrageous. If you tried to say that then, you would get killed on every forum. There's always a strong bias on what you see right now. Swap the Dallas and Golden State Finals so that Dallas happened last year, and nobody at CBS Would rank LBJ second.

And voting for Trump was also popular. Statistics/facts just don't support that popularity.
Kobe's issue ended up being that his last years were a waste of everyone's time. Before the Dallas sweep in 2011 it looked like he could win 2-3 rings before hanging it up and maybe LeBron would finally make it back to the finals so they could have a legendary matchup.
Then the Dwight/Nash experiment blew up. Pringles Dan Tony is a shit head and I can't wait to see the Rockets get swept by a real team in the playoffs.

^lol at the AC Green comment. Kareem made the city of Milwaukee relevant for the only time in the history of the city

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom